Poll

Do you think the judge will...

Rule case dismissed.
17 (42.5%)
Allow the claim and award substantial damages.
5 (12.5%)
Allow the claim and award token damages.
18 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: February 27, 2015, 02:50:24 PM

Author Topic: Libel trial day 14 - Statement of facts proved/not proved issued to lawyers.  (Read 120670 times)

Alfred R Jones

Montclair you better inform leading Portuguese "sceptic" that she is wrong to be tweeting this then:

Joana Morais
‏@xklamation   Court accepts as proven damages caused by Gonçalo Amaral's book to Kate and Gerry Mccann

Offline Carana

It's amazing how Diário de Notícias only reported one of the "facts" and none of the others which were not proven.

Could you elaborate?

Alfred R Jones

What does this mean?

Joana Morais @xklamation · 8 mins 8 minutes ago
The Maddie Case files proven and not proven post is a complete antithesis of the Lusa News Agency article posted in the PT media ..

Offline Montclair

you are so gullible....who do you think added the words after i.e.....certainly not the judge

There were no journalists in the courtroom, so the only way they got there "information" was from one of the lawyers.

BTW, this statement was in the written document given by the judge to the lawyers, it wasn't made up.

Offline Montclair

Could you elaborate?

Read the post with the link from The Maddie Case Files, perhaps you will understand.

ferryman

Considering how many posters were claiming the mccanns would lose....this is fantastic news

I beg to differ with you on that point.

If indeed it turns out the McCanns have (substantially) won, we should reflect on what that victory represents, realisation that many of the people the McCanns relied on most heavily to help them find Madeleine double-crossed and betrayed them most cruelly.

What kind of a "victory" would that be?

Scarcely one to send them performing celebratory cart-wheels down the street ...

Offline jassi

The usual conflicting views on here leave me unclear as to what it all means.
The McCanns appear to have won one or two points, but lost rather more.
How this will affect any award remains to be seen.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline slartibartfast

All the proven seem to have riders. Doesn't actually go into the free speech arguments so I would put this as a loss for the McCanns.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Alfred R Jones

According to the Portuguese media (and not some partisan blog) Amaral's book has been proven to have caused damage to the McCanns, that is the only fact that really matters at the moment.  Whether that translates into damages (as in Amaral having to pay out) remains to be seen.  In the topsy-turvy world of Portuguese justice I wouldn't want to bet on any final outcome at this stage.  But things are certainly looking brighter for the McCanns now which I'm sure you'll agree is good news.  ?{)(**

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!

Well you can't really tell, when the poster starts at number 11. Then leaves out No's 18, 19, 20, 23, & 26
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Offline jassi

According to the Portuguese media (and not some partisan blog) Amaral's book has been proven to have caused damage to the McCanns, that is the only fact that really matters at the moment.  Whether that translates into damages (as in Amaral having to pay out) remains to be seen.  In the topsy-turvy world of Portuguese justice I wouldn't want to bet on any final outcome at this stage.  But things are certainly looking brighter for the McCanns now which I'm sure you'll agree is good news.  ?{)(**

I really can't say whether things looker brighter or not for the McCanns, but their man will no doubt be along shortly to put a good spin on it.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline faithlilly

Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Alfred R Jones

I really can't say whether things looker brighter or not for the McCanns, but their man will no doubt be along shortly to put a good spin on it.
If Smiffy doesn't beat him to it!

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
28. Does the documentary only contain facts that are also in the inquiry files?

(Both articles) It is proved that the facts in the book and in the documentary, concerning the investigation, are mostly facts that took place in the investigation and are documented as such.

The judge does note that some of the facts in the book are not complete, and some facts that are in the book are not in the case files, including Jane Tanner's "informal" recognition of Robert Murat.

I hope the judge isn't trying to find that informal recognition, or we will be here another 10 years.
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Alfred R Jones

Well you can't really tell, when the poster starts at number 11. Then leaves out No's 18, 19, 20, 23, & 26
Yes, that really is very fishy indeed... &%+((£