Author Topic: How could Jez and Gerry not see Jane?  (Read 119248 times)

Offline slartibartfast

Re: How could Jez and Gerry not see Jane?
« Reply #1035 on: January 16, 2017, 09:12:39 AM »
One thing that Jane found confusing was that she thought Jez was standing with the pushchair downhill, which to her seemed to be the wrong way if he was heading back to his apartment.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/JANE_TANNER_RIGATORY.htm
Reply    “Again, I almost think I can remember it pointing down the road but if he was going back to his apartment it would have been pointing up the road so I don’t know, but.”
4078    “Your mind’s trying to make sense of what you even know.”

Should the interviewer have said this?    “Your mind’s trying to make sense of what you even know.”

After "I almost think I can remember" I'm not surprised.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1036 on: January 16, 2017, 09:47:54 AM »
After "I almost think I can remember" I'm not surprised.
Don't ask me how memory works.  But vague memories seem possible.  And if the memory clashes with logic she might allow her logic to override her memory.
The logic was if Jez was on his way home he should have been walking uphill not downhill. Can thoughts like that override memory?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1037 on: January 16, 2017, 11:24:19 AM »
Don't ask me how memory works. But vague memories seem possible. And if the memory clashes with logic she might allow her logic to override her memory.
The logic was if Jez was on his way home he should have been walking uphill not downhill. Can thoughts like that override memory?

I'm not sure that is true. To my mind, you either remember, or you don't - anything else is guess work.
As Jane would have no idea where Jez was going when she saw him, there should be no logic clash regarding his direction

There is only a clash if she is trying to reconcile something she saw with something she has been told, which doesn't make for an accurate witness statement.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:31:11 AM by jassi »
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1038 on: January 16, 2017, 11:47:47 AM »
I'm not sure that is true. To my mind, you either remember, or you don't - anything else is guess work.
As Jane would have no idea where Jez was going when she saw him, there should be no logic clash regarding his direction

There is only a clash if she is trying to reconcile something she saw with something she has been told, which doesn't make for an accurate witness statement.
Thanks Jassi, that is a fair challenge.  I was trying to think when it would have been she first started to be aware that Jez was on his way back to the apartment.
Like very early on she deduced Gerry had already seen the kids, and that was without being told.  So does she go around working out what people are doing, like a teacher might.
That is still a memory, it might not be memory for the perfect witness statement.

Hence she kicked herself for not working out what Tannerman was doing.  She makes some deductions like Tannerman is not a tourist - it was a girl, an unconscious child.  These aren't real observations but deductions (you can train yourself to be like this when practicing defensive driving, when working out what other drivers might be doing).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:54:46 AM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1039 on: January 16, 2017, 12:15:27 PM »
Thanks Jassi, that is a fair challenge. I was trying to think when it would have been she first started to be aware that Jez was on his way back to the apartment.
Like very early on she deduced Gerry had already seen the kids, and that was without being told.  So does she go around working out what people are doing, like a teacher might.
That is still a memory, it might not be memory for the perfect witness statement.

Hence she kicked herself for not working out what Tannerman was doing.  She makes some deductions like Tannerman is not a tourist - it was a girl, an unconscious child.  These aren't real observations but deductions (you can train yourself to be like this when practicing defensive driving, when working out what other drivers might be doing).

I can't see that information in either of her May 07 statements.  If a year later, then she has had plenty of time to misremember.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1040 on: January 16, 2017, 06:42:44 PM »
I can't see that information in either of her May 07 statements.  If a year later, then she has had plenty of time to misremember.
Yes so true.
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1041 on: January 16, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
Statements are reflections of what the PJ wanted written so the answer will be in the history.  When did Jane first become aware that Jez was allegedly going home?  That must have been that same night.  Maybe her husband had told her the story about Jez going home after talking to Gerry, but you'd wonder how Russell would get to know that too except from Gerry and Gerry says he doesn't know where Jez went after they parted.
It is possible that Jez said to Gerry he was on the way home when they parted. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:02:47 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline jassi

« Reply #1042 on: January 16, 2017, 09:07:36 PM »
Many things are possible, but Jane would not know where Jez was going at the time she saw him. It is more than likely that she didn't even know where his apartment was.

Or maybe not -

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1043 on: January 16, 2017, 09:16:27 PM »
Many things are possible, but Jane would not know where Jez was going at the time she saw him. It is more than likely that she didn't even know where his apartment was.
I don't know, but Jez does say he saw Jane earlier so the opposite could also be true that Jane saw Jez coming from his apartment block and he would have had his push chair with him too.  So knowing how Jane thinks she would possibly have thought: "Wow he's been out a long time.  I hope that baby is well wrapped up.  He ought to be going home by now, but he's facing the wrong way".  In which case no one need tell her but it could have been these sort of deductions going on in her own head.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:28:44 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline jassi

« Reply #1044 on: January 16, 2017, 09:29:45 PM »
You have a fertile imagination, I'll give you that    @)(++(*

Or maybe not -

Offline John

« Reply #1045 on: January 16, 2017, 10:07:21 PM »
Wouldn't it have been an interesting scenario had Jez not stopped to blether with Gerry?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1046 on: January 16, 2017, 10:26:31 PM »
Wouldn't it have been an interesting scenario had Jez not stopped to blether with Gerry?

Jane would have walked smack dab into Gerry, had a quick rattle then gone on her way having just missed sighting a geezer carrying a child west to east or east to west (depending upon which geezer it was).
Nothing to report............................... &%+((£
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1047 on: January 17, 2017, 12:44:58 AM »
Jane would have walked smack dab into Gerry, had a quick rattle then gone on her way having just missed sighting a geezer carrying a child west to east or east to west (depending upon which geezer it was).
Nothing to report............................... &%+((£
I personally don't think anything would have changed, the night would still be the same come 10 o'clock.
Crecheman may not have been followed up on.
Excuse my ignorance but what does this mean in England "had a quick rattle"?

Is it used in the same sense as this "While accompanying Thomas Kavanaugh on his daring escape from Lucknow, he paused for a quick rattle with a local prostitute, and during the battle of Patusan, he found himself galloping one of Sharif Sahib's concubines without even realizing it but nonetheless continued to the climax of the battle and the tryst." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Flashman
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:02:56 AM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1048 on: January 17, 2017, 10:37:44 AM »
I personally don't think anything would have changed, the night would still be the same come 10 o'clock.
Crecheman may not have been followed up on.
Excuse my ignorance but what does this mean in England "had a quick rattle"?

Is it used in the same sense as this "While accompanying Thomas Kavanaugh on his daring escape from Lucknow, he paused for a quick rattle with a local prostitute, and during the battle of Patusan, he found himself galloping one of Sharif Sahib's concubines without even realizing it but nonetheless continued to the climax of the battle and the tryst." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Flashman

English is a bit regional. Rattle,chops,gas,natter,hang over the fence and a few more I probably don't know roughly means :"talking" but generally about trivial matters.
Where I come from we would tend to use the expression "scuttle" for what you describe.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1049 on: January 17, 2017, 07:09:08 PM »
English is a bit regional. Rattle,chops,gas,natter,hang over the fence and a few more I probably don't know roughly means :"talking" but generally about trivial matters.
Where I come from we would tend to use the expression "scuttle" for what you describe.
I lead a sheltered life. 
Moderation