Author Topic: Netflix to air new documentary about the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.  (Read 75491 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Aren't Netflix American?  Can't see them being overly bothered as any legal action would need to be taken there.

If claims were made similar to those made by amaral then the film would be deemed libellous in most of the US under the libel per se rule

Offline Mr Gray

From the original information I dont think all 8 episodes will be about this case... It will be part of the series of 8 featuring other cases.... Not 100 % but thats as I remember.
Almost certainly the reason the mccanns wont take part is because they will have no editorial control and anything they say could be edited at the discretion of the programme makers

Offline Brietta

Aren't Netflix American?  Can't see them being overly bothered as any legal action would need to be taken there.

Defamation law in the United States is not something which I have ever given a lot of consideration.  It does seem quite clear though.  Defaming someone using false information to do so would appear to be a big NO! NO!  I'm sure the Pageretes of this life have their own version of Carter Ruck willing to drop Netflix a line.

FREE SPEECH V. DEFAMATION
In the United States, federal defamation law is closely tied to the First Amendment. As a result, federal slander and libel laws are more defendant-friendly in the U.S. than those in common law countries, like the U.K. and Canada. In short, opinion is not considered defamation in the U.S. That being said, false statements of fact that harm the reputation of an individual or business, aren't protected under Constitutional Free Speech provisions.
http://kellywarnerlaw.com/us-defamation-laws/
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline slartibartfast

From the original information I dont think all 8 episodes will be about this case... It will be part of the series of 8 featuring other cases.... Not 100 % but thats as I remember.
Almost certainly the reason the mccanns wont take part is because they will have no editorial control and anything they say could be edited at the discretion of the programme makers

They appear to like to be in control.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline misty

Netflix will probably recoup their money,the tax payer certainly won't.

How, exactly, will Netflix recoup the £20m they are spending on this documentary, which presumably comes from monthly subscription fee profits? 

Offline barrier

How, exactly, will Netflix recoup the £20m they are spending on this documentary, which presumably comes from monthly subscription fee profits?

$2.6 billion in revenue,$178 million net income for the first 3 months of 2017,whats 20 grand.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/17/15327840/netflix-earnings-report-q1-2017-subscribers-quarterly-release
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Mr Gray

They appear to like to be in control.

You would have to be a fool not too in this situation... Pat Brown got totally stitched up by the Australian docu makers... Remember she claimed she was suing them.... Didnt have a leg to stand on as i explained at the time

Offline slartibartfast

You would have to be a fool not too in this situation... Pat Brown got totally stitched up by the Australian docu makers... Remember she claimed she was suing them.... Didnt have a leg to stand on as i explained at the time

But you’re a newbie 😀
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Mr Gray

But you’re a newbie 😀

I think ive made it clear i am not a newbie..... Even used the same email address

I wonder if amaral will take part after what happened in the Australian doc
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:33:40 PM by Davel2 »

Offline misty

$2.6 billion in revenue,$178 million net income for the first 3 months of 2017,whats 20 grand.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/17/15327840/netflix-earnings-report-q1-2017-subscribers-quarterly-release

The article says the documentary will cost £20 million not £20 thousand.

Offline G-Unit

I can't see what can be said that hasn't already been said. A storm in a teacup imo.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline barrier

The article says the documentary will cost £20 million not £20 thousand.

My bad.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Mr Gray

I can't see what can be said that hasn't already been said. A storm in a teacup imo.

More of a damp suib in a teacup... They will go with the available evidence.... No real evidence to implicate the mccanns.... And everything pointing to Abduction... Imo

Offline John

I think ive made it clear i am not a newbie..... Even used the same email address

I wonder if amaral will take part after what happened in the Australian doc

I have reassigned your posts davel.  Welcome home!
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Mr Gray

I have reassigned your posts davel.  Welcome home!

Thank you John