Author Topic: Lawyers and Such  (Read 35559 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: Lawyers and Such
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 03:01:58 PM »
And how many lawyers, is it Amaral has had? And NOT PAID!
How many times as he gone into hiding, when a court case was due? Like, when he wouldn't give the court his address, so he gave a police station address. 

Why didn't he defend himself, like Bennett did? He reckons he's a trained lawyer!

I really don't blame him not wanting his address to become common knowledge. I have seen what McCann supporters do when they find out the personal details of members of the general public who doubt the McCanns, I wouldn't want to contemplate what they'd do with Amaral's !
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »
If the McCanns legal representatives work pro bono for them why does John Mccann claim in the 2010 Fund accounts that the fund continued (ie this was not the first year)  to pay for the McCann's legal representation in Portugal ?

http://www.mccannfiles.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://www.mccannfiles.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/mfa31032010page2.JPG&target=tlx_piconcg
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Redblossom

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 04:42:28 PM »
If the McCanns legal representatives work pro bono for them why does John Mccann claim in the 2010 Fund accounts that the fund continued (ie this was not the first year)  to pay for the McCann's legal representation in Portugal ?

http://www.mccannfiles.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://www.mccannfiles.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/mfa31032010page2.JPG&target=tlx_piconcg

They dont, its only carter ruck as far as we know, the PT lawyers are paid, must say I had to look it up as I never knew exactly what it meant....

Pro bono
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pro bono publico (English: for the public good; usually shortened to pro bono) is a Latin phrase for professional work undertaken voluntarily and without payment or at a reduced fee as a public service. It is common in the legal profession and is increasingly seen in architecture, marketing, medicine, technology, and strategy consulting firms. Pro bono service, unlike traditional volunteerism, uses the specific skills of professionals to provide services to those who are unable to afford them.
Pro Bono Publico is also used in the United Kingdom to describe the central motivation of large organizations such as the National Health Service, and various NGOs, which exist "for the public good", rather than for shareholder profit.

Not sure what these huge  legal fees were for in the first year, 111k plus 68k legal fees for administering the fund

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1131284/Where-2m-gave-Madeleine-McCann-gone.html

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:52:39 PM by Redblossom »

icabodcrane

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 05:12:26 PM »
I think the main point about the McCanns employing all theses lawyers is that it has been done with the purpose of protecting themselves and their reputations  ...  no lawyer was ever going to help them find Madeleine

Redblossom

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 05:22:22 PM »
I think the main point about the McCanns employing all theses lawyers is that it has been done with the purpose of protecting themselves and their reputations  ...  no lawyer was ever going to help them find Madeleine

No PIs either, and it seems they spent less on detectives than on PR, lawyers and various *managers* , at least by the first years accounts

AnneGuedes

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
Must admit, I'd get the best lawyer money could buy if I was wrongfully accused of doing away with my child too.
If someone is wrongfully accused of doing away with his/her child, just collaborating with justice and telling the truth would probably resolve the misunderstandings.
But if someone is rightfully accused of doing away with his/her child, the best lawyer money can buy is required. Imo.

Offline Chinagirl

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 08:36:57 PM »
If someone is wrongfully accused of doing away with his/her child, just collaborating with justice and telling the truth would probably resolve the misunderstandings.
But if someone is rightfully accused of doing away with his/her child, the best lawyer money can buy is required. Imo.

Nonsense.  Wrongly accused people most certainly need the best lawyer money can buy!
A

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
The McCann's should have asked for Social Security’s help, like Amaral did, shortly before contesting the injunction that was presented by Kate and Gerry McCann  8)-)))
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Offline Benice

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 09:37:03 PM »
Nonsense.  Wrongly accused people most certainly need the best lawyer money can buy!

Most of the victims of miscarriages of Justice who have won their freedom, have only done so with the best of Lawyers to help them.  Michael Mansfield QC is one of them.       
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

AnneGuedes

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 10:57:34 PM »
What is a bit difficult to understand is so much haste in "lifting the status" as Mr Mitchell said. It would have been smarter to explain what the status was and that it couldn't be lifted before the end of the investigation and that, though this status wasn't compatible with being "assistant" as the McCann couple wished (it afforded access to the files), it was giving them precious rights.
How far did this "lifting" imperative influence the media and demonize the PJ ?

Offline Benice

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 12:35:57 AM »
What does this mean, and why has the post above it been struck through?  It was Sadie's post and the strike through is by Redblossom.  Is it permissible to do this to someone else's post?

I would hope not Chinagirl, as it is extremely rude.   I also hope that the answer is not to zapp the whole thread.  I've noticed this has been done in the past which is unfair to those taking the trouble to post courteously.
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

icabodcrane

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 04:25:55 PM »
The lawyers acting for them in the libel cases do so on a retention basis ie they take a percentage of any damages awarded.  One can but wonder though how any other work is done on a pro bono basis??

Does that mean that Isobel Duarte,  who is the McCanns lawyer in their libel case against Amaral,  is working on a retention basis then, and  that her payment will come out of any damages awarded  ?   (  costs paid by the losing side  ?  ) 

What happens if an out of court settlement is reached ?  (  whereby each pay their own costs )

What if the McCanns drop the case against Amaral all together  ? 

Wouldn't Duarte still want, and be entitled to,  payment due to her  ?

Redblossom

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 05:08:31 PM »
ID was not on any retention basis, she got paid in 2009/10

Offline Mrs. B

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 08:06:11 AM »
People have lawyers, we don't generally have a separate fund, we do however PAY our lawyers. How do you know the McCann's don't pay their lawyer in PT from their OWN private money? Gerry McCann is a cardiologist. I'm sure he can afford a lawyer.

stephen25000

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 08:09:46 AM »
It was Kingsley Napley, Puffin.

Michael Caplan defended General Pinochet

Named as suspects in Madeleine McCann's disappearance, her parents are being advised by Michael Caplan QC, who successfully fought efforts to extradite General Pinochet from the UK.
As Kate and Gerry McCann headed back to their Leicestershire home for the first time since their daughter Madeleine disappeared, they were visited by a man few recognised. Michael Caplan QC is one of the UK's top criminal solicitors

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6995499.stm

Yes it was an interesting choice of lawyer, Caplan who defended a murderer, Pinochet, from extradition.

An interesting choice indeed.