Author Topic: Figueira - Village location map, plans and photos related to Joana Cipriano.  (Read 10716 times)

Offline John

Location map of the Portuguese Algarve showing Figueira, Luz, Odiáxere and Portimão.

Insert below shows where Faro is located relative to Portimão. It is to Faro police station and to Faro prison respectively that Leonor and João Cipriano were held overnight before their initial court appearances on the evening of 24 September 2004.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:08:56 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

Here for the first time is a map of the village of Figueira in the Portuguese Algarve showing the route that Joana Cipriano took on the night that she disappeared.  The large grey roofed structure about half-way along her route is the church where she was spotted on her return journey from Celia's Pastelaria and Cafe.

A - denotes Celia's Cafe where Joana bought the milk and tuna.

B - denotes the location of the Cipriano home at that time.

The distance between points A and B is 420 metres or a 5 minute walk.

The map below extends to show the Multisport facility (far right) where the fair was held.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:54:48 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

The front aspect of the Cipriano house where Joana lived with Leonor and Leandro.  Please note that this image was taken in 2010 showing the house painted a sandstone colour

The insert picture below depicted B on the above maps is the more widely known view of the rear of the property. The tarred road indicates that this picture was taken some years after the disappearance.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 02:04:38 AM by John »

Offline John

Depicted A on above map, Celia's Pastelaria and Cafe where Joana went to buy the carton of milk and two tins of tuna.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:55:20 PM by John »

Offline Matthew Wyse

There is a mention in the Supreme Court adjudication of a witness having seen Joana walking up the steps at the market carrying the shopping while on her way home.   I cannot see any steps unless the market has since been redeveloped?  Any ideas??
Most people suspect the truth but few are able to admit it.

Offline John

There is a mention in the Supreme Court adjudication of a witness having seen Joana walking up the steps at the market carrying the shopping while on her way home.   I cannot see any steps unless the market has since been redeveloped?  Any ideas??

You mean this extract.

Witness AA3, at around 8.30/8.40 p.m., saw CC [Joana Cipriano] walking up the stairs near the market, into the direction of her home, with a bag, a sign that she was returning from shopping (and we know that she did the shopping, from the deposition of witness NN). This witness, who was smoking at the window, stayed at the window for some time and verified that there was no movement on location, nor did she see any cars, or heard any screams. This means that, according to the rules of experience, and given the fact that the route is short, what is normal is that the minor returned home. And there is no doubt that CC arrived at home and that it was then that the arguidos hit her.

The only steps I can see from the 2010 imagery are those at the church.  It could be that the church and the market have been redeveloped since 2004.  The village most certainly has seem many new houses built in a zone right behind the church extending over quite some area.

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2009/07/supreme-court-of-justice-joana-case_5147.html
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:41:21 PM by John »

Offline Carana

Here for the first time is a map of the village of Figueira in the Portuguese Algarve showing the route that Joana Cipriano took on the night that she disappeared.  The large grey roofed structure about half-way along her route is the church where she was spotted on her return journey from Celia's Pastelaria and Cafe.

A - denotes Celia's Cafe where Joana bought the milk and tuna.

B - denotes the location of the Cipriano home at that time.

The distance between points A and B is 420 metres or a 5 minute walk.

The map below extends to show the Multisport facility (far right) where the fair was held.

That's helpful, thanks John.

A question though...

Ciggie lady said that she saw her climbing steps near the market  towards home. Where's the market?

A testemunha AA3, relatou que no dia 12 de Setembro, pelas 8h 30m / 8h 40m, estava a janela de sua casa, a fumar, quando viu a CC, com um saco na mão, a subir as escadas na proximidade do mercado, em direcção a casa. A testemunha disse que naquele local não havia movimento, não viu carros, nem ouviu qualquer grito, embora se tenha mantido à janela durante mais algum tempo. Referiu que decorria a "Festa do Berbigão", mas ocorria longe daquele local e por ali não havia ninguém.

It's not clear to me what "mercado" actually means. Is this the café/shop, an open-space market area or anything else known as that in the village?

ETA2: It might be clearer if where ciggie lady actually lived had been stated.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:55:42 PM by Carana »

Offline Anna

Thank you John, 8@??)(  I had the wrong café . Couldn't see what steps were referred too though. Maybe built over
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline Anna

That's helpful, thanks John.

A question though...

Ciggie lady said that she saw her climbing steps near the market  towards home. Where's the market?

A testemunha AA3, relatou que no dia 12 de Setembro, pelas 8h 30m / 8h 40m, estava a janela de sua casa, a fumar, quando viu a CC, com um saco na mão, a subir as escadas na proximidade do mercado, em direcção a casa. A testemunha disse que naquele local não havia movimento, não viu carros, nem ouviu qualquer grito, embora se tenha mantido à janela durante mais algum tempo. Referiu que decorria a "Festa do Berbigão", mas ocorria longe daquele local e por ali não havia ninguém.

It's not clear to me what "mercado" actually means. Is this the café/shop, an open-space market area or anything else known as that in the village?

ETA2: It might be clearer if where ciggie lady actually lived had been stated.

I believe Mercado is a market
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 03:36:35 PM by anna »
― Plato

Offline John

Yes, a lot of the central zone has been redeveloped.  I think the church is new too and there may have been a market of some sort in the middle of the village as happens in Portugal and Spain.

The only steps that remain as far as I can see are those around the church.

Click here to view
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 03:29:42 PM by John »

Offline John

In fact if you look at a very recent Google Earth image of the area to the side and rear of the church you can see a temporary structure which could well be a street market.

Click here to view

or alternatively here for those who don't have Google Earth.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 03:36:49 PM by John »

Offline Carana

I can see steps in the image that you just posted, but climbing up the steps would seem to be in the wrong direction towards home.

Offline John

I can see steps in the image that you just posted, but climbing up the steps would seem to be in the wrong direction towards home.

Yes, I accept that but there are no other steps between the church and her home (except those down to the front door).  My understanding is that she used the rear entrance to gain access to her home since if she had used the front door the distance of 420 metres would be wrong.  A bit puzzling?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:26:44 PM by John »

Offline Anna

Yes, I accept that but there are no other steps between the church and her home (except those down to the front door).  My understanding is that she used the rear entrance to gain access to her home since if she had used the front door the distance of 420 metres would be wrong.  A bit puzzling?

According to the 2006 appeal...she used main door

photo of
Back garden

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:25:52 AM by John »
― Plato

Offline John

Anna...that photo was taken on the unnamed road at the back of the house.  When the photo was taken in September 2004 the road was just a dirt track.

The house has no garden.