Author Topic: Do the McCanns have the same support eight years on?  (Read 25336 times)

Offline Admin

Do the McCanns have the same support eight years on?
« on: November 08, 2015, 09:26:14 PM »
The question of the current support for the parents of Madeleine McCann was touched upon on another thread. 

It was suggested that the Madeleine facebook page could be used as an indicator, however, it was pointed out that that particular social media site can be easily censored.

Others have pointed to the now defunct Madeleine twitter account as an indicator since it had to be closed down because of detractors and critics.

What is the current level of support?  Can a measure of such ever be properly stated or as some have pointed out, is it all mere speculation?

Your views please.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:45:25 PM by Admin »

Alfred R Jones

Re: Do the McCanns have the same support eight years on?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 10:25:01 PM »
According to Faithlilly the McCanns have to buy much of their online support, despite the fact that she is unable to provide any evidence to back up this belief.  The fact is though that the McCanns FB page has a large and growing number of likes, each post attracts thousands of comments, likes and shares which indicates that they do have lots of sympathetic support.  On the basis of visible online numbers, the McCanns have far more supporters than detractors, it's just that most of their supporters are not rabidly obsessed, intent on spamming Daily Mail comments pages with propaganda in the way that "sceptics" like to do, so their detractors, whilst smaller in number, are simply more vocal.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 10:51:46 PM »
I suppose if Facebook and Twitter are now considered to be reliable bellwethers for public opinion on a variety of topics then MORI and YOUGUV will be feeling a chill draught in the direction of their revenue streams.
Then to paraphrase "Man Alive" : "Or are they"?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:55:33 PM by Alice Purjorick »
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 11:08:44 PM »
One could look at the accounts for Madeleines Fund: Leaving No Stone Unturned Ltd.

The income from public expenditure is identifiable. It's performance would give a reasonable indicator how public support has varied with time.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 11:09:16 PM »
Of course, we could simply forget Facebook and Twitter altogether and use the "Sceptics" favourite Daily Mail as a true indicator of public sentiment on all subjects....

I notice one of today's DM articles about Jermy Corbyn's "subtle" nod at the cenotaph attracted many thousands of comments, the most popular being:

Had Corbyn been PM in 1940, we would now all be speaking German and goose-stepping down the Mall in today¿s ceremony.

With a net approval rating of 1768!

@)(++(*

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 11:10:33 PM »
One could look at the accounts for Madeleines Fund: Leaving No Stone Unturned Ltd.

The income from public expenditure is identifiable. It's performance would give a reasonable indicator how public support has varied with time.
Might that not also be an indicator of how much effort has been made into drumming up funds of late?

Offline mercury

Re: Do the McCanns have the same support eight years
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 11:11:23 PM »
Do the Mccanns have the same support 8 years on? i doubt it very very much

Neither financial or general (excluding the SY thing)

2015 is a very far cry from 2007

As for calculating support by counting likes and votes on social media and newspaper sites, it doesnt count as set ups are so very different, so a bit pointless comparing...on the whole though taking all social media and all newspaper sites, and set ups into consideration, anyone who is  interested enough to comment counts, its pretty clear  the story has been overly saturated and most people are fed up of all the rubbsh connected to it

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 11:30:00 PM by mercury »

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 11:24:21 PM »
Might that not also be an indicator of how much effort has been made into drumming up funds of late?

No. The last accounts are made up to 31st March 2014. Look at the performance from 2007 to 2014. Seven(ish) years trend should give a reasonable idea. If you don't think so stick with what gives the answer you are looking for.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 01:40:17 AM »
I think it might be worth bearing in mind that the level of support the Drs McCann receive is in direct measure to the amount of support they can give to Madeline McCann.

In my mind campaigns against them and their aims, whatever the motivation for them may be, impinge directly on the missing child.

When did the police stop looking for a living Madeleine to concentrate on looking ... not even for a dead Madeleine ... but on a means of clearing up her case by convicting her parents?
Job done and dusted.

It didn't work out that way ~ but it did ensure that shortly after Madeleine went missing ~ no-one but her parents were doing any sort of searching for her.

It took them four years to have her case reviewed and only now, over eight years down the line can there be any assurance that her case has been worked comprehensively and active leads continue to be followed.

So I would say that the level of the support that matters ... police support ... is 100% greater now than it was eight years ago.

Perhaps one measure of the support for Madeleine and her parents' search for her is the abject failure of the various petitions raised on various subjects to get signatures.  The latest embarrassment never gets a mention.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline John

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 02:44:44 AM »
The question of the current support for the parents of Madeleine McCann was touched upon on another thread. 

It was suggested that the Madeleine facebook page could be used as an indicator, however, it was pointed out that that particular social media site can be easily censored.

Others have pointed to the now defunct Madeleine twitter account as an indicator since it had to be closed down because of detractors and critics.

What is the current level of support?  Can a measure of such ever be properly stated or as some have pointed out, is it all mere speculation?

Your views please.

My own view is that although support is quite widespread it has fallen steadily since Madeleine disappeared.

In the days and weeks following the disappearance there were few people who did not have sympathy for the parents, much of which translated into support by way of a donation.  As time went on however and more of the details of what transpired that day were released into the public domain, that support began to slowly diminish.  It goes without saying that much blame for this can rightly be laid at the door of the Portuguese and British Press who published articles accusing the parents of having an involvement in their daughters disappearance.  Support has never recovered from those dark days of the three arguidos.

Mr Amaral certainly played his part in destroying support, his book and dvd provided an alternative scenario to an abduction, a scenario which directly accused the parents of involvement. The publication of the case files was the final nail in the support coffin, anyone interested in the case could read the facts of the case instead of relying on second hand stories and accounts from the media.

In the end, what initially started out as shock and disbelief followed by sympathy, thereafter descended for many into uncertainty and accusation.  The attempts to ban the Amaral book, the damages trial and the subsequent appeal which has yet to be determined have all added to the uncertainty and suspicion.

Support has now levelled off after reducing from that high plateau achieved eight years ago, there is only one event which can now increase that support.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:49:41 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 03:26:38 AM »
My own view is that although support is quite widespread it has fallen steadily since Madeleine disappeared.

In the days and weeks following the disappearance there were few people who did not have sympathy for the parents, much of which translated into support by way of a donation.  As time went on however and more of the details of what transpired that day were released into the public domain, that support began to slowly diminish.  It goes without saying that much blame for this can rightly be laid at the door of the Portuguese and British Press who published articles accusing the parents of having an involvement in their daughters disappearance.  Support has never recovered from those dark days of the three arguidos.

Mr Amaral certainly played his part in destroying support, his book and dvd provided an alternative scenario to an abduction, a scenario which directly accused the parents of involvement. The publication of the case files was the final nail in the support coffin, anyone interested in the case could read the facts of the case instead of relying on second hand stories and accounts from the media.

In the end, what initially started out as shock and disbelief followed by sympathy, thereafter descended for many into uncertainty and accusation.  The attempts to ban the Amaral book, the damages trial and the subsequent appeal which has yet to be determined have all added to the uncertainty and suspicion.

Support has now levelled off after reducing from that high plateau achieved eight years ago, there is only one event which can now increase that support.
Broadly speaking this is accurate.

I think the support had diminished before Amaral and his book.  There were lurid stories circulating quite quickly - the McCanns at Chaplins (false) - the crying incident (????) - and a whole slew of behavioural analysis (no searching, laughing, jogging etc etc etc) that had poisoned the chalice.

I remember sitting on the veranda of the beach restaurant, the Paraíso, basically where the CCTV filmed the T7, and a loud English voice from 2 tables down said "well, you've only got to look around to see how easy it is to hide a body here!"

Personally, I was at the stage of thinking "now if the McCanns dunnit, how did they hide the body?"  After chunking through a hell of a lot of options, I have concluded that it is possible that the McCanns "dunnit" (dumped a body or worse), but that this is highly unlikely.  This opinion depends on a detailed knowledge of Luz and surrounds, something that the PJ and SY didn't/don't have, and something that the media does not give a toss about.

I did not follow the case originally, so I don't have a blow-by-blow view.  Looking at things from a distance, despite having a PR 'expert' on board Team McCann, the media interaction strikes me as being akin to Gerald Ratner when he sank his jewellery high street chain.

What I perceive now is 2 polarised camps - support at all costs v demonise at all costs, with a minority choosing not to join either.  Surrounded by a media which still sees Madeleine primarily as a cash cow.
What's up, old man?

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 08:12:46 AM »
No. The last accounts are made up to 31st March 2014. Look at the performance from 2007 to 2014. Seven(ish) years trend should give a reasonable idea. If you don't think so stick with what gives the answer you are looking for.
By "of late" I meant the last few years, ie: since they stopped appealing for funds.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 08:19:41 AM »

In my experience in the UK  very few people are aware of the trial or the book

Offline Benice

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 08:43:18 AM »
In my experience in the UK  very few people are aware of the trial or the book

This is true in my experience too.   With the passage of time people move on and IMO the vast majority of the UK public no longer give a thought to the case unless there is something in the news about it.

This is quite natural IMO.

I also agree that very few people here know about the trial or the book - and if you asked them who Goncalo Amaral was - they wouldn't have a clue.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline carlymichelle

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 08:53:58 AM »
This is true in my experience too.   With the passage of time people move on and IMO the vast majority of the UK public no longer give a thought to the case unless there is something in the news about it.

This is quite natural IMO.

I also agree that very few people here know about the trial or the book - and if you asked them who Goncalo Amaral was - they wouldn't have a clue.

so you   that support the mcanns see yourselves   as kinda crusaders for them??