Author Topic: The Smithman e-fits  (Read 76912 times)

Offline Robittybob1

The Smithman e-fits
« on: February 17, 2018, 07:21:16 AM »
Is there a method to use when comparing faces to an e-fit?

Has anyone got an example of an actual case where the e-fit matched the perpetrator.

if we were to take some random character what similarities are there?  What things are dissimilar?

« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 06:15:27 PM by John »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

Re: The Smithman e-fits
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 07:58:39 AM »
I don't think they're expected to be an exact likeness.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 08:16:31 AM »
I don't think they're expected to be an exact likeness.
I suppose the first thing to do is to put the two faces side by side so you don't need to scroll up and down.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 08:30:16 AM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-11389051
"Research suggests that such composites only have an accuracy rate of about 20%. But when you have nothing else to go on they can be good odds."
Moderation

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 10:29:20 AM »
Amazing Criminal Sketch Artist That Solved Over 1,000 Crimes

You may not be on camera now, but if Lois Gibson is on the job, you might as well be. In 34 years of work, Gibson has helped police solve well over 1,000 crimes. According to Guinness World Records, that makes her The World’s Most Successful Police Sketch Artist. A title that, once her facial composites are seen, is incredibly difficult to argue with.

http://memolition.com/2014/06/19/amazing-criminal-sketch-artist-that-solved-over-1000-crimes/

Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 11:18:35 AM »
Amazing Criminal Sketch Artist That Solved Over 1,000 Crimes

You may not be on camera now, but if Lois Gibson is on the job, you might as well be. In 34 years of work, Gibson has helped police solve well over 1,000 crimes. According to Guinness World Records, that makes her The World’s Most Successful Police Sketch Artist. A title that, once her facial composites are seen, is incredibly difficult to argue with.

http://memolition.com/2014/06/19/amazing-criminal-sketch-artist-that-solved-over-1000-crimes/

She is intuitively very good and obviously takes the time to get absolutely the best description out of witnesses and down on paper.  In my opinion though ... there is resounding evidence that very few individuals have her expertise and talent.
Or if the witness is capable of supplying enough information for the artist to work from ... for example if the witness makes the report some time after the event, or didn't get a clear view of the features in the first place.

E-fits overtaken by newer technology in war on crime
New figures indicate e-fits are having less impact than techniques such as DNA analysis and security cameras

The power of the ‘e-fit’ appears to be on the wane after new figures showed that just one of more than 30 images issued by a police force led to an arrest.

The technology, which updated photofits originally introduced in the 1970s, may be dwindling as newer technology such as CCTV and DNA analysis is used in growing numbers of police investigations, experts said.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11785148/E-fits-overtaken-by-newer-technology-in-war-on-crime.html
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 12:58:20 PM »
The quality of some e-fits leaves a lot to be desired imo. You'd certainly notice the blond one even if he wasn't committing a crime lol.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35422394

Result = happy posting.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 05:01:56 PM »
Creepy or Cool? Building a face using DNA
By sushmithamoorthy - July 30, 2015

Predictions of what people look like using a DNA analysis tool compared with photos of the actual people. Credit The New York Times; Images and renderings by Mark D. Shriver/Penn State University
https://biotechin.asia/2015/07/30/creepy-or-cool-building-a-face-using-dna/

On occasions such as the Smith sighting using DNA to produce an image would not in my opinion be applicable.  However, given the clear recollection which enabled the production of the efits many months down the line one wonders if an image constructed using the unidentified hairs left behind in 5A might be capable of being recognised by any of the Smiths?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:09:33 PM by Brietta »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 05:19:16 PM »
With the reliance on DNA you could get to a situation where as a criminal you take a mixture of DNA samples to the crime scene to really put the investigators off track.
Moderation

Offline jassi

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 05:22:17 PM »
I have every confidence that the police will use their expertise with these e-fits and with that in mind have no anxiety over the reliability of them, nor the need to rubbish them.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 05:50:28 PM »
I have every confidence that the police will use their expertise with these e-fits and with that in mind have no anxiety over the reliability of them, nor the need to rubbish them.

The MPS seemed quite keen to publicise the Smith e-fits, so I assume they were satisfied with them.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 06:21:28 PM »
The MPS seemed quite keen to publicise the Smith e-fits, so I assume they were satisfied with them.

So one person is, totally convinced she saw Maddie at a camp site and another person is, 60 /80 he saw gerry

Sceptics, are convinced by one and discard the other
My opinion is they both should, be treated with caution

Offline Brietta

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 07:49:57 PM »
With the reliance on DNA you could get to a situation where as a criminal you take a mixture of DNA samples to the crime scene to really put the investigators off track.

No doubt it has already happened ... I bet CSI is the top programme for criminals ... all it takes is a little planning.

Is it a myth or did I read somewhere that Lizzie Borden of axe infamy stripped off before doing the deed to avoid getting blood on her clothes?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 07:52:40 PM »
No doubt it has already happened ... I bet CSI is the top programme for criminals ... all it takes is a little planning.

Is it a myth or did I read somewhere that Lizzie Borden of axe infamy stripped off before doing the deed to avoid getting blood on her clothes?
That would make a great movie.
Moderation

Offline Brietta

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 07:59:16 PM »

They seem quite accurate.
I knew the technique is used in archaeology ... it never occurred to me that what works in an historical setting would of course work just as well in a contemporary one.