Author Topic: What was the point of the arguido questions asked of Kate and Gerry McCann?  (Read 20563 times)

Offline Robittybob1

I was thinking of reverse analysing these questions to see if we can get an idea as to what the the PJ were hoping to uncover?

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/KATE-MCCANN_07-09-07.htm

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/48_Questions_07_09_07.htm

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/GERRY-MCCANN-ARGUIDO.htm

Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

The phrase "arguido questions" only comes up 7 times on a search.  That in itself is quite surprising for the term 48 questions will be a lot more frequent in fact a total of 82 times.

Usually they are discussed with the intention of wondering why they weren't answered, but here I want to see if we can figure out why that particular question was asked, and what is the history behind those questions.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

No doubt the topic has been looked at in various ways before:

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=1364.0  "Why didn't Kate McCann answer the questions of the PJ?"  that thread could have some useful ideas to explore.

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=2447.0  "Was the refusal to partake in a reconstruction to their detriment?"  Somehow got around to discussing the 48 questions.

Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

I had previously raised in http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=9114.msg445637#msg445637

"In fact I will have to examine them closely, but do any of Gerry's arguido questions allude to, in any way, Gerry possibly being Smithman?"

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/GERRY-MCCANN-ARGUIDO.htm
"When questioned, he states that from the first moment, after the first fruitless searches, he thought that Madeleine had been abducted and it was this information that he gave to everyone to whom he spoke. He reached such a conclusion because he did not think it possible that she had gone out on her own or opened the blinds and window in the room." 

The questions Gerry faced don't seem so focused, I can't see a theme as yet.

There were no questions that seemed to  be about Gerry's alibi in the 10 -15 minutes prior to Kate's alert.
IMO if Gerry was Smithman then it had to be prior to Kate checking their apartment.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:28:45 AM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

Benice provided a good observation http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=4460.msg166703#msg166703

"Why would you expect their answers to be identical - they weren't joined at the hip all day long on May 3rd. 

It seems to me that Kate's questions were specifically designed for her to answer - and not Gerry."

That seems to be fair comment IMO.
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/exclusive-in-english-former-maddie-cop-interview/24788  "Exclusive in English: Former ‘Maddie Cop’ interview"

"TPN: Did the police offer a plea bargain to Kate McCann?
GA: No.
TPN: But did you not suggest she consider a plea bargain?
GA: We only explained the nature of certain crimes. Her lawyer was there, you can ask him.
TPN: Did Kate and Gerry McCann answer all the questions that you posed to them as fully as possible?
GA: Up until being declared an arguido, Kate, at the request of her lawyer, co-operated. When questions became of a nature that could incriminate her, she was made an arguido, her rights and duties were read out to her in English and thereafter she opted for the right to remain silent.
TPN: And Gerry McCann?
GA: He answered all questions, before and after being made an arguido."

Considering Kate said there was talk of a homicide charge, the questions to Kate do seem on the side of search the possibility of Kate killing Madeleine.  But when did that happen?  I don't know and I'm not sure if the PJ knew the theory either.
Moderation

Offline Miss Taken Identity

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/exclusive-in-english-former-maddie-cop-interview/24788  "Exclusive in English: Former ‘Maddie Cop’ interview"

"TPN: Did the police offer a plea bargain to Kate McCann?
GA: No.
TPN: But did you not suggest she consider a plea bargain?
GA: We only explained the nature of certain crimes. Her lawyer was there, you can ask him.
TPN: Did Kate and Gerry McCann answer all the questions that you posed to them as fully as possible?
GA: Up until being declared an arguido, Kate, at the request of her lawyer, co-operated. When questions became of a nature that could incriminate her, she was made an arguido, her rights and duties were read out to her in English and thereafter she opted for the right to remain silent.
TPN: And Gerry McCann?
GA: He answered all questions, before and after being made an arguido."

Considering Kate said there was talk of a homicide charge, the questions to Kate do seem on the side of search the possibility of Kate killing Madeleine.  But when did that happen?  I don't know and I'm not sure if the PJ knew the theory either.

"GA: Up until being declared an arguido, Kate, at the request of her lawyer, co-operated. When questions became of a nature that could incriminate her, she was made an arguido, her rights and duties were read out to her in English and thereafter she opted for the right to remain silent."

Oh this is interesting in bold. incriminating herself?  Do we know what THOSE questions were? and they could have been different from Gerry. The PJ must have picked up on something to ask Kate possibly incriminating questions.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Mr Gray

"GA: Up until being declared an arguido, Kate, at the request of her lawyer, co-operated. When questions became of a nature that could incriminate her, she was made an arguido, her rights and duties were read out to her in English and thereafter she opted for the right to remain silent."

Oh this is interesting in bold. incriminating herself?  Do we know what THOSE questions were? and they could have been different from Gerry. The PJ must have picked up on something to ask Kate possibly incriminating questions.

Amaral has it back to front.. Kateanswerred all questions  as a witness but not.... As an arguido.. This was done on the advice of her lawyer

Amaral has it back to front.. Kateanswerred all questions  as a witness but not.... As an arguido.. This was done on the advice of her lawyer

Yes, And I agree she had a right to do so...  especially if she was going to incriminate herself.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 09:36:29 PM by Angelo222 »

Offline Mr Gray

Yes, And I agree she had a right to do so...
And especially  if innocent people can incriminate themselves
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:40:03 PM by Brietta »

And especially  if innocent people can incriminate themselves

Oh... how would they do that exactly?  looking at the questions she was asked- none seem to say" look you dun it so admit it"

Or did I miss something.

Offline Mr Gray

Oh... how would they do that exactly?  looking at the questions she was asked- none seem to say" look you dun it so admit it"

Or did I miss something.

Not much point in discussing the same thing over again... I'll leave you to it

Offline Brietta

Please remember to indicate when you are expressing your own opinion in your posts ... you continually fail to do so and is going to result in deletion.

"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

In my opinion confirming the important point you made was that Kate and Gerry McCann co-operated fully with the Policia Judiciaria and answered all their questions at all times.
Over a marathon PJ interview lasting over eleven hours Kate answered every question put to her just prior to being made an arguida.  She exercised her legal entitlement to silence having been 'read her rights'.  What is wrong with that, pray?

It is worth bearing in mind that Kate and Gerry were made arguidos on the basis of the Amaral investigation's failure to fully comprehend forensic information.

Competent investigation of the facts of the case led by another coordinator, including a proper understanding of the forensic evidence meant that there was no evidence to charge anyone with anything.  Which in my opinion proves that there was no evidence to justify making anyone an arguido in the first place.

This is a prejudicial situation recognised and addressed in the Portuguese Criminal Code by a change in the law which came into effect days after Kate and Gerry were made arguidos to ensure that evidence justifying the imposition had to be put before a magistrate.

In my opinion the arguido questions fade into insignificance when balanced against the imposition of arguido status in the face of a known impending change in the law under which it would most likely not have been allowed.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Please remember to indicate when you are expressing your own opinion in your posts ... you continually fail to do so and is going to result in deletion.

I was NOT expressing an opinion this was said:

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/exclusive-in-english-former-maddie-cop-interview/24788 

check out the quote marks:

""GA: Up until being declared an arguido, Kate, at the request of her lawyer, co-operated. When questions became of a nature that could incriminate her, she was made an arguido, her rights and duties were read out to her in English and thereafter she opted for the right to remain silent."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 12:42:48 PM by John »