Author Topic: Two firearms and advantages/disadvantages of rifle used.  (Read 770 times)

Offline Holly Goodhead

Two firearms and advantages/disadvantages of rifle used.
« on: June 07, 2018, 05:52:14 PM »
On IA Luminous Wanderer mooted the idea of 2 firearms being used.  When I asked what evidence existed to suggest 2 firearms I didn't receive a response probably because all the ballistic, forensic and pathological evidence supports victims gsw's inflicted by the Anshutz .22 rifle.

Also on IA TomG argued had JB been responsible he would have opted for the shotgun as it is a far more lethal weapon.  I argued that the .22 is lethal in the right hands.  The reason the victims sustained 25/26 gsw's collectively is that imo the perp was clearly inexperienced.   The counter argument is that JB went for overkill to make the scene look amateurish and manic.

The following sets out the UK's Home Office definition of a firearm based on the lowest level of muzzle energy capable of inflicting a penetrating wound.  This is measured by ft/llb and shows 1ft/llb or 1.35 joules is required.

http://www.mileoakshootingclub.co.uk/8.html

The definition of a firearm under the act is "a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged" it further defines "lethal weapon" as "a weapon capable of firing a projectile with sufficient force to inflict more than a trivial injury i.e.. with sufficient force to puncture skin". The Home Office consider the lowest level of muzzle energy capable of inflicting a penetrating wound is one foot pound (1.35 joules) hence guns producing less than 1ft/lb are not covered by the act and therefore not classified as air weapons or subject to any restrictions.

The calculation is based on muzzle velocity (speed bullet leaves barrel in feet per second so (ft/s) x speed (ft/s) x weight (grain) divide by 450240. Here's how the calculation works:

https://www.pyramydair.com/article/What_is_Muzzle_Energy_August_2003/5

Here's the calculation for the Eley cartridges used:

muzzle velocity (1040) x muzzle velocity (1040) x weight of bullet in grains (38) / by 450240 = 91.29 ft/llbs or 123.77 joules.

Here's the spec from Eley showing the muzzle velocity and grains:

http://eley.co.uk/eley-subsonic-hollow/

So the UK's Home Office state only 1 foot pound or 1.35 joules is required to penetrate the skin and the above shows the firearm and ammo used at WHF produced 91.29 feet/pounds or 123.77 joules based on the calculation above.  Meaning the rifle and ammo were indeed absolutely lethal.  The reason so many cartridges were used is that the perp (SC imo) was very inexperienced with firearms.

If 1 foot pound or 1.35 joules is all that is required to penetrate the skin the above maths behind the bullets shows how lethal 91.29 feet pounds or 123.77 joules all of which were inflicted at close range would be. 

If only 1 foot pound is required to penetrate this skin it hardly bears thinking about victims sustaining multiple shots at over 90% more force.     
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline adam

Re: Two firearms and advantages/disadvantages of rifle used.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 06:46:53 AM »
TomG posted on Blue that Bamber used a 'totally inappropriate weapon'. When I mentioned this and asked him what weapon he should have used, he denied posting this & told me to find his post. When I quoted his post & again asked him, he replied 'none of them' ! He then left the forum 2 days later.

Roch also said Bamber used the wrong weapon. I asked him what weapon he should have used instead, but got no response.

The rifle Bamber used was fine. He could then give the police his story about going to shoot rabbits & leaving that rifle out available for Sheila.

He may have intially gone for an 11 shot massacre. When Nevill moved he had to chamber, breach & reload. So creating the overkill scene was the best alternative option.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 07:01:38 AM by adam »