Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1353531 times)

AnneGuedes

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #690 on: December 21, 2013, 12:20:24 AM »
Here is a quotation written on the pavement in Oslo, Norway (my father's home town, incidentally).

From An Enemy of the People (Henrik Ibsen):
They are the strong who must be protected against the weak, against the strength of the weak.
Do you speak your fatherland's language ?

Redblossom

« Reply #691 on: December 21, 2013, 12:47:03 AM »
Minority ? What minority ?

It's a simple fact, if Kate & Gerry had not gone out and left THREE MINORS ALONE in an UNLOCKED apartment, on foreign soil over CONSECUTIVE NIGHTS then this 'abduction' would most probably never have happened !
You and your ilk can apologise ad infinitum for their short comings BUT the fact remains, 2 adults left 3 minors in a vulnerable position night after night, and the consequences of their actions have brought us to this juncture !

Hes scuppered off to bed but insists it was responsible parenting...legally speaking of course....as if that is all that matters!!!! Sad but true of the apologists

Gnite from me too

8((()*/

Offline LagosBen

« Reply #692 on: December 21, 2013, 05:37:12 PM »
So sweet that she's dedicating her time to help other people, same goes for the others. I know Trevor McDonald does a huge amount for charity, lovely man.

I think so too Victoria.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #693 on: December 28, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »
  Maddie cops' prime suspect blunder, 28 December 2013

Maddie cops' prime suspect blunder Daily Mirror (paper edition)

They could have ruled out innocent man SIX years ago

EXCLUSIVE

BY TOM PETTIFOR Crime Correspondent
Saturday, 28 December 2013

BUNGLING police chased the wrong suspect for six years in the hunt for missing Madeleine McCann.

An innocent British dad told police in 2007 he was the man in an e-fit seen carrying a child in a Portuguese resort.

But his evidence was overlooked. A source said yesterday: "This doesn't look good."

FULL STORY: PAGES 4&5

[picture text: WRONG MAN E-fit of 'prime suspect']

Bungling police had 'prime suspect' details for 6 years without realising.

The innocent dad came forward in 2007 but mistakenly remained the focus of the hunt
until this year when SY detectives tracked him down.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-news/madeleine-mccann-bungling-police-prime-2965027

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 12:31:20 PM by Wonderfulspam »
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #694 on: December 28, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »
Madeleine McCann: Anyone saying they were carrying a child around when Maddy disappeared should have been investigated. opinion by Peter Kirkham

Ex-Met Police chief Peter Kirkham says questions will be asked as to why the relevance of the information was not recognised earlier

Scotland Yard have now concluded that the key sighting of a suspect carrying a child at around 9.15pm was, in fact, a sighting of an innocent dad.

This has changed the entire timeline of the incident and has opened up crucial new lines of enquiry.

Questions will be asked as to why the relevance of the information was not recognised earlier.

While there may have been an oversight by Leicestershire Police, there are two things we should remember.

They did not have access to all the material collected during the investigation and full responsibility for the case remained with the Portuguese at that time.

In their liaison role, they may have simply forwarded the questionnaires to Portuguese police without analysing them themselves.

Even if they did consider the content, they may not have realised the relevance without access to all of the material.

The information should have been recognised as of great relevance by the Portuguese police.

I would have expected any person saying they were innocently carrying a child at around the relevant time and place to be investigated and cross-referenced with other witness accounts.

That said, in a high-profile investigation, so much information floods in that it is all too easy for a crucial item to get lost.

At that time, the main focus of the investigation centred on the interpretation of the DNA evidence which had been recently made available.

This may have led to other potential lines of enquiry being overlooked.

No matter what the explanation, the fact that this "new" witness was in the system all along illustrates why case reviews are so important.

A review of all material, by new pairs of eyes and with the benefit of hindsight, almost always identifies something which has been overlooked.

In this case, it appears to have changed the basic understanding of what may have happened on Thursday, May 3, 2007.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-anyone-saying-were-2965383

AnneGuedes

« Reply #695 on: December 28, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »

No matter what the explanation, the fact that this "new" witness was in the system all along illustrates why case reviews are so important.

I think it matters.
I'm amazed that an ex-Met Police chief, before knowing the answer to "questions as to why the relevance of the information was not recognised earlier", dares to suggest the PJ is responsible, as if the Portuguese weren't the ones who didn't give much credit to Tannerman, as if they hadn't welcome evidence that they were right.
The AG would have too.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #696 on: December 28, 2013, 01:07:40 PM »
I think it matters.
I'm amazed that an ex-Met Police chief, before knowing the answer to "questions as to why the relevance of the information was not recognised earlier", dares to suggest the PJ is responsible, as if the Portuguese weren't the ones who didn't give much credit to Tannerman, as if they hadn't welcome evidence that they were right.
The AG would have too.

The Daily Mirror is probably the McCanns closest newspaper ally.
This article is another PR stunt deflecting any blame imo

AnneGuedes

« Reply #697 on: December 28, 2013, 01:23:05 PM »
The Daily Mirror is probably the McCanns closest newspaper ally.
This article is another PR stunt deflecting any blame imo
But Mr Kirkham is a real person ! No newspaper, ally or not, would take the risk to make him say things he didn't

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #698 on: December 28, 2013, 01:28:38 PM »
But Mr Kirkham is a real person ! No newspaper, ally or not, would take the risk to make him say things he didn't

I don't doubt Mr Kirkham said something but why did he?

Why be openly critical of the investigation at this time?

Offline jassi

« Reply #699 on: December 28, 2013, 01:35:55 PM »
Is Mr Kirkham the source of the information, or is he merely commenting on what has been stated anonymously by someone else?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #700 on: December 28, 2013, 01:46:56 PM »
Is Mr Kirkham the source of the information, or is he merely commenting on what has been stated anonymously by someone else?

A source said: "He had been clear then that he had picked her up at around the time of the sighting but for whatever reason he was not eliminated as a suspect. The fact the details of the prime suspect have been known all along doesn't look good."

Yes Jassi.  It would appear he is commenting on an unsourced quote from..... I wonder who that might be?

Why would someone want to brief against the police & potentialy damage the relationship of SY & PYat a time when they are planning a joint investigation?

Who would want to do that?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #701 on: December 28, 2013, 01:52:27 PM »
I don't doubt Mr Kirkham said something but why did he?

Why be openly critical of the investigation at this time?
Imagine you are Mr Innocent. You receive a letter from the LC asking you to answer a questionnaire. You understand perfectly why and do it as well as you can. Then, not getting any reaction from the LC, you think that after all they determined you weren't Tannerman.
6 years after, SY pops up and, coup de théâtre, suggests you're Tannerman. Al-right, better late than never.
You kindly let yourself be photographed, you kindly provide a rotten pyjama that in any case you found useful to keep (not to be sold at Sotheby's within a hundred years as the pyjama mistaken for Madeleine McCann for 6 years and a half), you kindly answer questions.
Then CW is broadcast and, though anonymous, you become a celebrity. Not for the good cause. People start wondering why on earth you didn't step forward, letting the police and the parents in the mud. People start to speculate about your suspicious reason to keep quiet. Worst nobody says it clearly but it's between the lines that you might have prevented Madeleine McCann to be found. Even worst Madeleine's parents seem not to believe you, they keep Tannerman as a suspect on the official site.
How can you defend yourself ?
You reflect that after all nobody, except the police, knows who you are, and make an effort to forget about it.
Then a journalist, looking into the PJ files, finds that there were not many fathers with dark hair and a 2yrs old little girl, 2, eventually 3. He's lucky, you're on a professional site, he contacts you and you get frightened : your anonymity is at risk. So you decide to talk.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 01:56:58 PM by AnneGuedes »

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #702 on: December 28, 2013, 02:01:23 PM »
Madeleine McCann: Anyone saying they were carrying a child around when Maddy disappeared should have been investigated. opinion by Peter Kirkham

Ex-Met Police chief Peter Kirkham says questions will be asked as to why the relevance of the information was not recognised earlier

Scotland Yard have now concluded that the key sighting of a suspect carrying a child at around 9.15pm was, in fact, a sighting of an innocent dad.

This has changed the entire timeline of the incident and has opened up crucial new lines of enquiry.

Questions will be asked as to why the relevance of the information was not recognised earlier.

While there may have been an oversight by Leicestershire Police, there are two things we should remember.

They did not have access to all the material collected during the investigation and full responsibility for the case remained with the Portuguese at that time.

In their liaison role, they may have simply forwarded the questionnaires to Portuguese police without analysing them themselves.

Even if they did consider the content, they may not have realised the relevance without access to all of the material.

The information should have been recognised as of great relevance by the Portuguese police.

I would have expected any person saying they were innocently carrying a child at around the relevant time and place to be investigated and cross-referenced with other witness accounts.

That said, in a high-profile investigation, so much information floods in that it is all too easy for a crucial item to get lost.

At that time, the main focus of the investigation centred on the interpretation of the DNA evidence which had been recently made available.

This may have led to other potential lines of enquiry being overlooked.

A review of all material, by new pairs of eyes and with the benefit of hindsight, almost always identifies something which has been overlooked.

In this case, it appears to have changed the basic understanding of what may have happened on Thursday, May 3, 2007.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-anyone-saying-were-2965383

Isnt this all old news?

The PJ knew all along about the tannerman, that is why they discounted the sighting ALL ALONG. Why do they have to answer to anyone anyway, its there investigation. I thought Amaral mentioned it was a known fact the other week.

I knew tannerman wasnt an abductor lol....

Also it was mentioned he was coming back from the creche NOT going to the creche weeks ago....

On the other paper they are blaming the Leicestershire police, and so it goes on.

This is not news worthy is it, if it was already discussed on CW.

Lyall

« Reply #703 on: December 28, 2013, 03:26:05 PM »
Tom Pettifor:

The Smith family provided two efit images of the man more than five years ago. However, the sighting was viewed as too late to be significant because of Ms Tanner’s sighting– which is why the efits were only released publicly in a Crimewatch appeal broadcast in October.

What a spinner 8-)(--)

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #704 on: December 28, 2013, 04:58:33 PM »
Imagine you are Mr Innocent. You receive a letter from the LC asking you to answer a questionnaire. You understand perfectly why and do it as well as you can. Then, not getting any reaction from the LC, you think that after all they determined you weren't Tannerman.
6 years after, SY pops up and, coup de théâtre, suggests you're Tannerman. Al-right, better late than never.
You kindly let yourself be photographed, you kindly provide a rotten pyjama that in any case you found useful to keep (not to be sold at Sotheby's within a hundred years as the pyjama mistaken for Madeleine McCann for 6 years and a half), you kindly answer questions.
Then CW is broadcast and, though anonymous, you become a celebrity. Not for the good cause. People start wondering why on earth you didn't step forward, letting the police and the parents in the mud. People start to speculate about your suspicious reason to keep quiet. Worst nobody says it clearly but it's between the lines that you might have prevented Madeleine McCann to be found. Even worst Madeleine's parents seem not to believe you, they keep Tannerman as a suspect on the official site.
How can you defend yourself ?
You reflect that after all nobody, except the police, knows who you are, and make an effort to forget about it.
Then a journalist, looking into the PJ files, finds that there were not many fathers with dark hair and a 2yrs old little girl, 2, eventually 3. He's lucky, you're on a professional site, he contacts you and you get frightened : your anonymity is at risk. So you decide to talk.

An amazing precis, Anne.