Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 536912 times)

Offline misty

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #390 on: September 21, 2017, 01:26:05 PM »
The outstanding costs in this case are limited to Court costs & lawyers fees. Nobody is personally responsible for any damages.  In the event that the Madeleine's case is solved before an ECHR hearing it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the State of Portugal will intervene & settle all the McCanns' outstanding fees. If the McCanns are shown to be innocent, it would be a huge embarrassment to Portugal to be seen to collecting money from parents who have been much maligned & poorly treated by their justice system. As I said before, a cop-out by the SC when passing judgement.
All IMHO.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #391 on: September 21, 2017, 01:45:32 PM »
The outstanding costs in this case are limited to Court costs & lawyers fees. Nobody is personally responsible for any damages.  In the event that the Madeleine's case is solved before an ECHR hearing it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the State of Portugal will intervene & settle all the McCanns' outstanding fees. If the McCanns are shown to be innocent, it would be a huge embarrassment to Portugal to be seen to collecting money from parents who have been much maligned & poorly treated by their justice system. As I said before, a cop-out by the SC when passing judgement.
All IMHO.

The costs are for lawyers fees and court costs. It has nothing to do with Portugal as a state.

As Duarte knows the McCanns are innocent will she waive her fees ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline jassi

« Reply #392 on: September 21, 2017, 01:51:13 PM »
The costs are for lawyers fees and court costs. It has nothing to do with Portugal as a state.

As Duarte knows the McCanns are innocent will she waive her fees ?

Oh I don't think so - she has to make a living, too.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #393 on: September 21, 2017, 01:54:41 PM »
All IMHO.

I don't know what the bill amounts to but I expect it's pretty big. The McCanns owe the money to the Courts, but the Courts will use it to provide refunds to the defendants. They will get back the money they had to pay up front in court costs plus 50% of that amount towards the cost of their legal representatives. There may be other costs which can be claimed. If at some point in the future the Portuguese State is criticised by the ECHR they may pay something to the McCanns. Suggesting that they may meet all the costs they incurred is wishful thinking imo.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #394 on: September 21, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »
Oh I don't think so - she has to make a living, too.

From two maligned and poorly treated victims? Has she no shame ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

stephen25000

« Reply #395 on: September 21, 2017, 04:25:59 PM »
The Supreme Court decision will not be overturned and the  McCann's will have to pay up.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:03:35 AM by John »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #396 on: September 21, 2017, 05:01:38 PM »
declare
dɪˈklɛː/Submit
verb
say something in a solemn and emphatic manner.
"the prime minister declared that the programme of austerity had paid off"
synonyms:   proclaim, announce, make known, state, communicate, reveal, divulge, mention, talk about, raise, moot, air, bring into the open, voice, articulate, pronounce, express, vent, set forth, make public, publicize, disseminate, circulate, publish, broadcast, promulgate, trumpet, blazon; informalcome out with, shout from the rooftops; literarynoise abroad, blazon abroad; rarepreconize
"she loses no opportunity to declare her political principles"

Please desist from the usual inane chatter.
adjective: inane
lacking sense or meaning; silly.
"don't badger people with inane questions"
synonyms:   silly, foolish, stupid, fatuous, idiotic, absurd, ridiculous, ludicrous, laughable, risible, imbecilic, moronic, cretinous, unintelligent, witless, asinine, pointless, senseless, frivolous, nonsensical, brainless, mindless, thoughtless, vacuous, vapid, empty-headed; childish, puerile, infantile, jejune; informaldaft, dumb, dim, half-baked, gormless, damfool; informaldivvy; informalglaikit; informaldumb-ass; informaldof
"an inane remark"
antonyms:   intelligent, sensible

Go off and try the pack attack elsewhere ... it cuts absolutely no ice with me ... but nice to see you lot declaring inanely your rather obvious upset that Madeleine's parents are safeguarding her interests by taking their case to the European Court of Human Rights.

This is one so called supporter who will be content if their application is successful.  ?{)(**

Dictionary corner?  How does appealing to the ECHR 'safeguard Madeleine's interests' I wonder. In my opinion it's not in her parent's interests, let alone hers.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline jassi

« Reply #397 on: September 21, 2017, 05:10:07 PM »
Dictionary corner?  How does appealing to the ECHR 'safeguard Madeleine's interests' I wonder. In my opinion it's not in her parent's interests, let alone hers.

I did wonder about that myself. Perhaps the answer will be forthcoming.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #398 on: September 21, 2017, 08:04:47 PM »
What I notice is that it keeps Madeleine's name in the media, it keeps the public interested in the case, even if it is only criticising the parents actions.  Spend 50k on private detectives or 50k on taking a case to the ECHR and I'd guarantee more value for their money from the court case. (All a matter of opinion).
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline jassi

« Reply #399 on: September 21, 2017, 08:09:56 PM »
What I notice is that it keeps Madeleine's name in the media, it keeps the public interested in the case, even if it is only criticising the parents actions.  Spend 50k on private detectives or 50k on taking a case to the ECHR and I'd guarantee more value for their money from the court case. (All a matter of opinion).

That would depend on what the aim was.  Neither action is likely to find her.  IMO

Or maybe not -

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #400 on: September 21, 2017, 08:29:36 PM »
That would depend on what the aim was.  Neither action is likely to find her.  IMO
I'm just talking to someone who recons they know about the person who has her.  something like that.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline jassi

« Reply #401 on: September 21, 2017, 08:30:51 PM »
I'm just talking to someone who recons they know about the person who has her.  something like that.

Make sure he doesn't try to sell you a bridge.

Or maybe not -

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #402 on: September 21, 2017, 08:33:12 PM »
All IMHO.

If the McCanns are shown to be innocent? innocent of what? what kind of court case do you think this is?

I think some people are reinventing what the ECHR does. Maybe it has changed since I last looked .. but wait..
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline misty

« Reply #403 on: September 21, 2017, 08:47:41 PM »
If the McCanns are shown to be innocent? innocent of what? what kind of court case do you think this is?

I think some people are reinventing what the ECHR does. Maybe it has changed since I last looked .. but wait..

I mean if the Portuguese arrest the people who were responsible for Madeleine's disappearance & it's not the McCanns, they will be "more innocent" when the ECHR consider their case agains the State of Portugal.

Offline jassi

« Reply #404 on: September 21, 2017, 08:50:24 PM »
I mean if the Portuguese arrest the people who were responsible for Madeleine's disappearance & it's not the McCanns, they will be "more innocent" when the ECHR consider their case agains the State of Portugal.

That would be true only if these people had been convicted. Arrest means nothing.

Or maybe not -