Author Topic: Netflix - the Murat interview.  (Read 16683 times)

Offline misty

Netflix - the Murat interview.
« on: March 22, 2019, 12:20:07 AM »
The Netflix documentary featured contributions by the first person to be made an arguido, Robert Murat.  Portuguese media began promoting stories which cast doubt on the McCanns’ abduction claims within 24hrs of Madeleine’s disappearance, e.g. “a badly told story” & “they were engaged in swinging”. Despite that, the PJ elected, within days, to interrogate Murat based on his seemingly suspicious behaviour & various allegations made by other parties.
Murat claimed in Netflix the PJ wanted him to sign a confession (content not disclosed) but stated the police were attempting to frame him. Had he “confessed” in May 2007 & actually been successfully prosecuted  without any forensic evidence for involvement in kidnapping Madeleine, what does this forum think PJ & the McCanns would have done to continue the search for Madeleine? Furthermore, what would the attitude of both the Portuguese & UK public/media been to this hypothetical confession?

Offline Brietta

Re: Netflix - the Murat interview.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 01:07:58 AM »
The Netflix documentary featured contributions by the first person to be made an arguido, Robert Murat.  Portuguese media began promoting stories which cast doubt on the McCanns’ abduction claims within 24hrs of Madeleine’s disappearance, e.g. “a badly told story” & “they were engaged in swinging”. Despite that, the PJ elected, within days, to interrogate Murat based on his seemingly suspicious behaviour & various allegations made by other parties.
Murat claimed in Netflix the PJ wanted him to sign a confession (content not disclosed) but stated the police were attempting to frame him. Had he “confessed” in May 2007 & actually been successfully prosecuted  without any forensic evidence for involvement in kidnapping Madeleine, what does this forum think PJ & the McCanns would have done to continue the search for Madeleine? Furthermore, what would the attitude of both the Portuguese & UK public/media been to this hypothetical confession?
In the Netflix documentary when asked ... Gerry McCann defended the right of an accused person to the presumption of innocence.
Sadly that is not a right that either he or Kate have been afforded by some who have attacked them and their efforts to find Madeleine vociferously and continually for nearly twelve years.

Even if Murat had been convicted solely on the alleged 'confession' without anything else to back it up I think the Portuguese and UK public/media would have swallowed the bait and believed the outcome ... just as I think the majority of the Portuguese public/media believed in Leonor Cipriano's guilt.

As a result of which no-one has ever contemplated looking for Joana Cipriano despite the fact there was nothing to indicate her death.

I don't think that Kate and Gerry McCann would have been able to keep on looking for Madeleine if Murat had signed that confession.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 01:30:53 AM »
In the Netflix documentary when asked ... Gerry McCann defended the right of an accused person to the presumption of innocence.
Sadly that is not a right that either he or Kate have been afforded by some who have attacked them and their efforts to find Madeleine vociferously and continually for nearly twelve years.

Even if Murat had been convicted solely on the alleged 'confession' without anything else to back it up I think the Portuguese and UK public/media would have swallowed the bait and believed the outcome ... just as I think the majority of the Portuguese public/media believed in Leonor Cipriano's guilt.

As a result of which no-one has ever contemplated looking for Joana Cipriano despite the fact there was nothing to indicate her death.

I don't think that Kate and Gerry McCann would have been able to keep on looking for Madeleine if Murat had signed that confession.

What did come to light in the documentary was that, when asked why the parent’s friends had said he was at the Ocean Club on the night Madeleine disappeared, Murat answered angrily but was afraid to express fully his opinion and that the parents PIs had been asked to investigate Murat to the exclusion of other leads. Combine that with what we already know from Bilton about one of the McCann team offering access to the parents for dirt on Murat and it would appear someone had it in for Murat and it certainly wasn’t only the PJ.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline misty

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 01:44:59 AM »

IMO Murat, unlike the Ciprianos, would have been able to acquire the appropriate legal assistance from the outset  to fight/appeal any hypothetical conviction. I think this would have brought the investigative methods & failures of the PJ to the forefront at a much earlier stage, probably to Murat's benefit.

As a hypothetical potential miscarriage of justice, imo the focus would have fallen on the PJ rather than the missing child (Madeleine this time). In those circumstances I do not believe the literary substance would have facilitated the publishing of books on the case by certain ex-judicial officers.
 However, I do believe that the UK public would have been far more sympathetic to the parents & certainly more supportive of a continued search for her & subsequent involvement of the Met.

Offline misty

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 01:46:42 AM »
What did come to light in the documentary was that, when asked why the parent’s friends had said he was at the Ocean Club on the night Madeleine disappeared, Murat answered angrily but was afraid to express fully his opinion and that the parents PIs had been asked to investigate Murat to the exclusion of other leads. Combine that with what we already know from Bilton about one of the McCann team offering access to the parents for dirt on Murat and it would appear someone had it in for Murat and it certainly wasn’t only the PJ.

How many people have been publicly supportive of him?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 02:31:55 AM »
IMO Murat, unlike the Ciprianos, would have been able to acquire the appropriate legal assistance from the outset  to fight/appeal any hypothetical conviction. I think this would have brought the investigative methods & failures of the PJ to the forefront at a much earlier stage, probably to Murat's benefit.

As a hypothetical potential miscarriage of justice, imo the focus would have fallen on the PJ rather than the missing child (Madeleine this time). In those circumstances I do not believe the literary substance would have facilitated the publishing of books on the case by certain ex-judicial officers.
 However, I do believe that the UK public would have been far more sympathetic to the parents & certainly more supportive of a continued search for her & subsequent involvement of the Met.
In time honoured fashion the Judicial police had already begun the shredding of Murat's good name with leaks to the press ... what stopped that process?
Was it the Smith family coming forward with their evidence the day after he had been made an arguido that they had seen a man carrying a child and affirmed that it was not Murat?

Agreed that Murat would have employed a good legal team from the word go ... I think he did hire a very good lawyer in the circumstances anyway.
I'm not too sure that the PJ shortcomings would have been apparent to all had a trial taken place which I don't think would have happened because as we have seen there was no evidence against him. 
There are still those who don't accept the police errors made in their case against the McCanns and are still making podcasts etc in support.  Despite that case being shredded in the Netflix documentary I think that sort of attitude will continue ad nauseam.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 07:23:17 AM »
I’d like to know why no sceptics on here seem remotely interested in questioning Murat’s truthfulness, unlike their relentless doubting of every word uttered by the McCanns and their friends.  If the McCanns haven’t been cleared then neither has Murat!
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Brietta

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 09:25:25 AM »
I’d like to know why no sceptics on here seem remotely interested in questioning Murat’s truthfulness, unlike their relentless doubting of every word uttered by the McCanns and their friends.  If the McCanns haven’t been cleared then neither has Murat!
I wouldn't presume to question Murat's statements given under oath but the record is that he did make quite a few changes over time.
Gerry corrected one mistake in his initial interview and we know what has been made of that.

Murat did say in no uncertain terms to Netflix how terrified he was throughout the period of his interrogation.

I agree that sceptics have never given the same degree of scrutiny to other witness statements as given to those 'demolished' on numerous fora and social media if there is the slightest glimmer which supports or is kind to the McCanns.

The level of abuse Jane Tanner suffered as a result of witnessing what she believed to be Madeleine's abduction being a case in point.

There was little new in the Netflix documentary but it was surely refreshing to see an effort being made to use the truth rather than the distortions usually dished up for consumption and it is heartening to see the logic promoted as a result being generally accepted by a wider more discerning audience.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 09:28:46 AM »

Murat's house, car & clothes didn't smell like death for starters.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline barrier

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 09:38:00 AM »

There is that.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 09:45:08 AM »

Whose house did?

Offline The General

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 10:44:27 AM »
I didn't realise the level of crude obfuscation / temporary abduction the PJ went to to enable their searches of premises - pretty shocking behaviour, but probably routine in Portugal.

And I thought Murat came across as generally genuine.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 11:30:22 AM »
How many people have been publicly supportive of him?

What has that to do with anything ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 05:55:35 PM »
So why did he remain an arguido after the dogs “cleared” him?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 08:30:00 PM »
Whose house did?

The McCanns. Eddie alerted to wardrobe. Keela didn't so that ruled out blood. Eddie alerted to their clothes. Keela didnt!
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.