Author Topic: Mikaeel Kular: Mother Rosdeep Kular appears in court on murder charge.  (Read 45536 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Mikaeel Kular: Mother Rosdeep Kular appears in court on murder charge.
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2014, 08:17:26 PM »
Probably money isn't as big a factor here (I hope that's not naive - I know legal aid rules are being changed). But we know money definitely rules in the US.

So I'd say whichever country where you can be well represented with being a millionaire ?>)()<

you haven't answered the question..which country would that be

Lyall

« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2014, 08:23:02 PM »
you haven't answered the question..which country would that be

I don't know enough about the systems in the rest of Europe to be honest >@@(*&)

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2014, 08:25:08 PM »
I don't know enough about the systems in the rest of Europe to be honest >@@(*&)

then how can you criticise the UK

Lyall

« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2014, 08:29:32 PM »
then how can you criticise the UK

Of course you can. It's very far from perfect.

Redblossom

« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2014, 08:36:28 PM »
Of course you can. It's very far from perfect.

So is Portugal, but  the  ignorant uneducated and pathetic inference made on this thread was that Portugal wasnt  a civilised country must count for hilarious post of the day

That will keep even the monkeys laughng at the zoo! Pmsl

@)(++(*

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:39:02 PM by Redblossom »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2014, 08:58:55 PM »
So is Portugal, but  the  ignorant uneducated and pathetic inference made on this thread was that Portugal wasnt  a civilised country must count for hilarious post of the day

That will keep even the monkeys laughng at the zoo! Pmsl

@)(++(*

you only have to look at the libel trial to see what a shambles the portuguese courts are

so for AG to criticise   a proper justice sysem...and lyall STILL hasnt come up with a better one,...can you

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2014, 09:10:41 PM »
and lyall still hasnt come up with a better one and neither has red

Lyall

« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2014, 09:12:06 PM »
and lyall still hasnt come up with a better one and neither has red

We admit we aren't experts on European law and if you're being honest neither are you. So how can the question be answered?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 09:14:45 PM by Lyall »

Redblossom

« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2014, 09:18:15 PM »
I knew that really 8()-000(

I watched shatner and a whole  of other entertainment shows including whats her name from misery....i thought  law and order was a bit different..ie nasty cold  hard b........s ....ok when theyre guilty so NOT ok when they are not ...its them going for the jugular of maximum sentences as if they get off on it for anything

Oooh so off topic best stop
 @)(++(*
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 09:19:51 PM by Redblossom »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2014, 09:38:39 PM »
The lottery aspect can't be totally evacuated(what if the president learnt his wife has a lover in the morning of the hearing ? What if the prosecutor has stomach pain ?but it should be reduced as much as possible through a package of measures.
Professional jurors aren't a solution as well. And it's a good principle that the people are represented.
That makes a very interesting debate for sure.

That's wonderful, Anne.

We should tailor the jury system according to the proclivities of French presidents.

Vive la Justice Francaise!

(Excuse the ommission - don' t have a French speaking keyboard).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 09:44:30 PM by Sherlock Holmes »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2014, 09:42:45 PM »
I watched many a law and order and was shocked!

The US has a very harsh system.....
but some so totally guilty feckers evade justice nonetheless.....

You are right, Red. I shouldn't be laughing at Anne's post.

It's really dog eat dog over here. The most unequal country on the face of the earth. Some of the things that go on in the name of justice are absolutely mind boggling.

Don't think there is such a thing as a perfect system, though, wherever you look.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 09:53:05 PM by Sherlock Holmes »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2014, 10:02:03 PM »
That's wonderful, Anne.

We should tailor the jury system according to the proclivities of French presidents.

Vive la Justice Francaise!

(Excuse the ommission - don' t have a French speaking keyboard).
Oh I'm sorry ! I didn't mean the president of the republic ! I meant the president of the hearing, I should have called him "judge".

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2014, 10:07:20 PM »
you only have to look at the libel trial to see what a shambles the portuguese courts are

so for AG to criticise   a proper justice sysem...and lyall STILL hasnt come up with a better one,...can you

Is it a question of which is better?

There are two distinct systems, Civil Law (based upon Roman Law and developed during the Middle ages throughout most of the European continent where it was applied mainly in the imperial powers such as Portugal and Spain), and Common Law, which developed in England at around the same time and was implanted in America upon its foundation.

Scottish Law has a civil law system and is therefore very similar at root to Portuguese law and the legal systems of much of continental Europe. It also has a number of Norse elements dating from Viking times when the country was invaded by Vikings and many of the Northern provinces belonged to Norway. After the Act of Union, common law became an influence to a certain degree, but the overall system remained entirely distinct from that of England.

Scotland and Portugal are similar therefore in their systems; England is the odd man out in Europe.