Author Topic: Why did Julie wait a month before speaking to the police ?  (Read 9118 times)

Offline adam

Why did Julie wait a month before speaking to the police ?
« on: December 20, 2014, 05:59:06 PM »
Jeremy's supporters often criticise Julie for not going to the police straight away.

There are lots of reasons why she approached the police a month later-

She was Jeremy's girlfriend.

She loved Jeremy and said she was under his spell.

She was in shock.

She was afraid of what Jeremy may do if he found out.

She tried to deny it to herself that the man she loved was involved.

Jeremy had said that he had paid MM £2,000 to commit the massacre. Julie said she knew Jeremy did not have this money available. So she would have clung to the possibility that Jeremy was making false boasts. Maybe it was Sheila.

She was 20 years old. We all make wrong decisions when so young.

Jeremy had said he was 'watertight' and it was an 'open and shut case'. He said Julie would not be believed.

She was afraid she would be implicating herself. Being aware of his hatred and resentment towards his family,  and previous plans.

While still in shock, she gave a statement early on. So was afraid that changing her statement days or weeks later may put her in trouble.

She was afraid she would not be believed. Making herself look stupid and getting in trouble with the police for making false claims. In a TV interview she said Jeremy said 'there was nothing she could have done on the night, and there is nothing she can do now'

She was caught in the eye of a hurricane. Police,  relatives and the media always around, funerals to attend. Jeremy getting police cars to pick her up, then whisking her off to Amsterdam the weekend after the massacre.

She had no one to speak to at first. Being with Jeremy most of the time after the massacre. She did not want to attend the funeral or continuously go around with Jeremy & Brett. But was persuaded to by Jeremy.

--------------------------------

It is true she approached the police, (via Liz Rimmington) after they had spilt up. After finally getting to speak to other people she trusted.  She was hardly likely to approach the police while still Jeremy's girlfriend, was she ?

Jeremy said the relationship had been in decline for six months prior to the massacre. They were both young and living miles away from each other.  The massacre probably speeded up the ending of the relationship by a few weeks.  After Julie had come to terms with the massacre and cleared her head.

It is not conclusive about who jilted who. Although Jeremy has always weakly said Julie spoke to the police and testified because he jilted her. But he has never said scorned women are just as likely to tell the truth.

Speaking to the police a month later seems quite normal to me (see above). Making these claims months of years later, after moving in with or marrying Jeremy would have looked much worse. Although politician's wife Chris Hulme did just that ten years later after he left her. Hulme was found guilty.

She was brave in approaching the police. Jeremy had not been arrested and the silencer evidence had not come back from the lab. The police could have laughed her out of the station. Or charged her with wasting police time. Or both.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:26:33 AM by John »

Offline John

Re: Why did Julie wait a month before speaking to the police ?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 01:40:37 PM »
Question is, would she have gone to the police if...

1. Jeremy hadn't two-timed her with Brett Collins and...

2. Jeremy hadn't assaulted her in Sheila's London flat.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline adam

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 01:55:24 PM »
Two timed her with Brett ? ?

Online APRIL

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 02:07:39 PM »
Question is, would she have gone to the police if...

1. Jeremy hadn't two-timed her with Brett Collins and...

2. Jeremy hadn't assaulted her in Sheila's London flat.

Emotional infidelity can be more devastating to a woman than  sexual infidelity. Jeremy's relationship with Brett was something Julie seemed not to understand.

Her relationship with Jeremy can be described as volatile as her temper seemed to be. I think they probably got off on a bit of S&M. The venue was immaterial. It's my belief that the more guilt which can be attributed to Jeremy -albeit supposition- the guiltier, exponentially, becomes Julie. My own view is that whatever Jeremy planned, Julie knew of and colluded with. When she realized he wasn't about to put a ring on her finger/two timed her/jilted her took her revenge. She got her story in first, leaving out her own involvement -OR the police chose to overlook it to get her onside. The question now is, which one has the tightest hold on the others short and curlies. Jeremy can't talk about her TRUE involvement without admitting his own and SHE can't admit hers because it would prove that she'd lied in court, under oath. TUT TUT.

Offline adam

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 02:18:38 PM »
You're view is right.

Julie knew of all his different plans. And his final plan. It is in her WS and she testified this.

It is not conclusive she was jilted. But if she was she must be really bitter, twisted, vindictive and confident to put an innocent man in jail for life. 

Offline John

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 02:26:19 PM »
It was probably a case of knew about them but didn't want to believe it.  Again most probably the reason she offered to do the formal identifications in the morgue.  She had to square the circle.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Online APRIL

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 02:34:19 PM »
You're view is right.

Julie knew of all his different plans. And his final plan. It is in her WS and she testified this.

It is not conclusive she was jilted. But if she was she must be really bitter, twisted, vindictive and confident to put an innocent man in jail for life.

I imagine that her WS is only PART of the story. Of COURSE she will have us believe she reacted with "Shock!! Horror!!" She certainly wouldn't want us to believe that she may have agreed with him that the family had held him back, prevented him from implementing certain ideas, kept him from his full earning potential and with them out of the picture he'd be free to make his own decisions, especially if she believed that SHE was going to be one of the decisions he made.

If, as I believe, she was fully cognisant of his plans, she wasn't worried about putting an innocent man in prison for life -she knew he was guilty- but she may have been VERY concerned about keeping herself out. Perhaps THIS is why she's remained so silent all these years and devoted herself to charity works.

Offline adam

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 03:08:33 PM »

I imagine that her WS is only PART of the story. Of COURSE she will have us believe she reacted with "Shock!! Horror!!" She certainly wouldn't want us to believe that she may have agreed with him that the family had held him back, prevented him from implementing certain ideas, kept him from his full earning potential and with them out of the picture he'd be free to make his own decisions, especially if she believed that SHE was going to be one of the decisions he made.

If, as I believe, she was fully cognisant of his plans, she wasn't worried about putting an innocent man in prison for life -she knew he was guilty- but she may have been VERY concerned about keeping herself out. Perhaps THIS is why she's remained so silent all these years and devoted herself to charity works.

She probably did agree with anything he said about the raw deal he was being given. Julie would have just heard his one sided rants over a long period of time. She was an impressionable teenager when they first met

Online APRIL

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 03:36:59 PM »
She probably did agree with anything he said about the raw deal he was being given. Julie would have just heard his one sided rants over a long period of time. She was an impressionable teenager when they first met

19 to his 22, I believe. We're not talking about a 15 year old, we're talking about a young woman at university, NOT from a sheltered background, working part time at whatever paid her. They were both 22 months older when the murders happened.  My point is- the more she went along with what he was saying, the more complicit she appeared and the more he'd have shared his plans with her. We've heard from her what HE said. What we haven't heard, nor are we likely to, is what SHE said. Exactly what point were you trying to make?

Offline adam

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 03:51:44 PM »
Well she was 21 when compiling her WS -

'I am 21 years of age and I live at the above address. I am a full time student at the University of London, Goldsmith College.
I am studying education, and have at present a degree in education. I am now studying for a honours degree in the same subject '

I agree with you again. We will only know what Julie says he said.

Offline adam

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 04:01:18 PM »
'Jeremy first invited me out on the Boxing Day of 1983. He invited me round to where he was living and we all had dinner at lunchtime and later I went with Jeremy to meet my parents who live at 11 Scott Drive, Lexden, Colchester. Where I was living at the time'

It seems that they were together less than two years. The last six months the relationship had been in decline according to Jeremy. Surprised she became so upset and vindictive after they spilt up.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 04:09:33 PM by adam »

Offline guinness

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 04:13:32 PM »
'Jeremy first invited me out on the Boxing Day of 1983. He invited me round to where he was living and we all had dinner at lunchtime and later I went with Jeremy to meet my parents who live at 11 Scott Drive, Lexden, Colchester. Where I was living at the time'

It seems that they were together less than two years. The last six months the relationship had been in decline according to Jeremy. Surprised she became so upset and vindictive after they spilt up.

Is it upset and vindictive to tell the police he was a murderer? Or just morally something she should have done. You seem to have her character well formed in your mind - which was it?

Offline adam

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 04:14:38 PM »
'I am 21 years of age and I live at the above address. I am a full time student at the University of London, Goldsmith College.
I am studying education, and have at present a degree in education. I am now studying for a honours degree in the same subject ' 

'Have at present a degree'.

Studying for an honours degree'.

A bit more academic than Jeremy then !

Offline adam

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 04:19:41 PM »
Is it upset and vindictive to tell the police he was a murderer? Or just morally something she should have done. You seem to have her character well formed in your mind - which was it?

It is morally something she should have done. And she did do.

Supporters say she did it because Jeremy (apparently) jilted her.

Online APRIL

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 04:30:37 PM »
It is morally something she should have done. And she did do.

Supporters say she did it because Jeremy (apparently) jilted her.

So she decided to do her moral duty after Jeremy made it obvious she was no longer "numero uno".