Author Topic: Who will be the next leader of the Conservative Party and by default, the PM?  (Read 59618 times)

Offline John

Boris has now decided not to seek the leadership of the Conservative Party following on from events yesterday.  Meanwhile Michael Gove has decided to stand even though he previously stated categorically that he wouldn't.  Pro Remain campaigners Theresa May and Stephen Crabb have also now thrown their hats into the ring along with Leave campaigners Andrea Leadsom and Liam Fox.

I go for Andrea or Liam as the only candidates capable of implementing #Brexit.

Early indications in our snap pole certainly indicate a Leadsom lead.
https://twitter.com/Justice_forum/status/748493156040183811

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 02:31:31 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Holly Goodhead

I thought Andrea Leadsom presented well during the Brexit campaign.  She has a banking background and will understand how important financial services are to the UK economy along with maintaining the banking passport.  She obviously doesn't have TM's experience in government. I doubt she can compete with TM's impressive collection of shoes! 

As for Stephen Crabb, I struggle to take men with facial hair seriously but that might be a failing on my part! 

I'm not sure about Dr Liam Fox.  I will have to go and listen to him on some YouTube clips. 

The Tories are lucky to have two high calibre candidates in TM and AL. 
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline John

I thought Andrea Leadsom presented well during the Brexit campaign.  She has a banking background and will understand how important financial services are to the UK economy along with maintaining the banking passport.  She obviously doesn't have TM's experience in government. I doubt she can compete with TM's impressive collection of shoes! 

As for Stephen Crabb, I struggle to take men with facial hair seriously but that might be a failing on my part! 

I'm not sure about Dr Liam Fox.  I will have to go and listen to him on some YouTube clips. 

Theresa May was loyal to Cameron and a remainer.   Although she has the right credentials to be PM the game has now changed since the referendum.  I don't trust any MP who can change their allegiance at the drop of a hat. 

A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

stephen25000

Theresa May was loyal to Cameron and a remainer.   Although she has the right credentials to be PM the game has now changed since the referendum.  I don't trust any MP who can change their allegiance at the drop of a hat.

You mean like Gove ?

Offline John

You mean like Gove ?

Yes, him too!   Slippery as a kipper!

Offline Alice Purjorick

There are too many words in that sentence John. Try this:

"I don't trust any MP who can change their allegiance at the drop of a hat".

MPs with principle I can recall in my lifetime.
Powell
Thorneycroft
Birch
Profumo
Hesseltine
Cook.
All resigned ministerial posts on points of principle.
Don't laugh about Profumo, he resigned because he lied to the house not because he was legging it over with a call girl who was legging it over with a Russian attache.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Jean-Pierre

There are too many words in that sentence John. Try this:

"I don't trust any MP who can change their allegiance at the drop of a hat".

MPs with principle I can recall in my lifetime.
Powell
Thorneycroft
Birch
Profumo
Hesseltine
Cook.
All resigned ministerial posts on points of principle.
Don't laugh about Profumo, he resigned because he lied to the house not because he was legging it over with a call girl who was legging it over with a Russian attache.

I for one am not.  He spent the rest of his life making amends. 

Offline Myster

My bets are on Andrea Leadsom, mainly because she's a bit better-looking than Theresa May... how shallow is that?

Seriously though, seems she has exceptional credentials...

http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2016/06/29/conservative-leadership-runners-riders-andrea-leadsom
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Alfie

I predict Michael Gove will withdraw from the race very shortly...

stephen25000

My bets are on Andrea Leadsom, mainly because she's a bit better-looking than Theresa May... how shallow is that?

Seriously though, seems she has exceptional credentials...

http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2016/06/29/conservative-leadership-runners-riders-andrea-leadsom

I certainly don't find Leadsom attractive, or for that matter May.

When I was younger, I can remember a Theresa May in the Sun on a certain page, on a regular basis.

@)(++(* @)(++(*

stephen25000

Naughty George Osbourne.

Offline John

I predict Michael Gove will withdraw from the race very shortly...

Do you think he will do a deal with Theresa?

I came across this article about Theresa May from 2012 in which she was asked if she wanted to be PM.

Theresa May on becoming an MP and why she could still be the next Maggie

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2196901/I-read-Hansard-bedclothes-You-read-Jackie-interested-politics-Theresa-May-MP-Maggie.html#ixzz4D5zI0NWO

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 12:15:52 PM by Angelo222 »

Offline John

Looks like Andrea Leadsom leads our free poll.

Andrea 58%
Theresa 23%
Michael 16%
Liam and Stephen 3%

Offline mercury

Andrea 58%
Theresa 23%
Michael 16%
Liam and Stephen 3%

Ive never heard of Andrea, if people vote for her  instead of Mays solid and consistent cv/performance it will just a matter of I dont like the old cow May cos she just wants to snoop on everyone

Had to laugh earlier, was reading somee newspaper cmment, "we have a fox, two cows, a crabb and a slug" to chose from

Alfie

Andrea 58%
Theresa 23%
Michael 16%
Liam and Stephen 3%

As it's not down to the general public who is the next leader of the Tories this poll is kind of meaningless.