Author Topic: Mckay uses Canadian media to harass Julie Smerchanski  (Read 23583 times)

Offline John

Mckay uses Canadian media to harass Julie Smerchanski
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:16:35 AM »
Fresh from the disaster ITV documentary Mckay continues to use the press and media to promote pro Bamber propaganda. In his latest exercise he is basically harassing and threatening Julie (Mugford) Smerchanski with arrest and extradition.  What the hell does Mckay think he is playing at?  He is out to wreck Julie's life and career in the most distasteful and underhand manner.  It was Julie's right not to cooperate with his spoof documentary.

You can read the Canadian article here.

http://t.co/DLad3AW4
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Weety

Re: Mckay uses Canadian media to harass Julie Smerchanski
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:28:37 AM »
You would have thought he would have waited until the CCRC give their decision before making such comments. If there is no referral this will be a non issue.

Offline John

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:39:09 AM »
You would have thought he would have waited until the CCRC give their decision before making such comments. If there is no referral this will be a non issue.

I an incensed by this development.  Mckay is a shit stirrer who doesn"t give a dam for anyone but himself.  He has crossed the ethical line as far as I am concerned and I for one will be making a formal complaint to the Law Society about his conduct.  He is effectively harassing this woman and by publicising the case in such a despicable manner has effectively undermined her credibility in her community.  Julie could lose her job over these comments which effectively accuse her of not being prepared to cooperate with the courts.  I honestly find this appalling behaviour.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Weety

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 10:06:38 AM »
I agree with you, it's a despicable thing to do, but I don't think the Law Society has much interest in common decency.

Offline Admin

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:12:37 AM »
Thanks for bringing this to our notice.  We have launched an immediate attack on McKay on Twitter, we will not allow this clown to make a fool out of Julie in order to progress his fiasco case for the child killer Bamber.  We will post any reaction we get in due course.

It comes as no surprise that McKay is using unethical means in an attempt to promote this case. Trial by media is unacceptable and this is what he is effectively engaged in promoting. If McKay wants a Twitter war on Bamber...Bring it on!

We will be speaking with this Canadian newspaper when their office opens later today.

?>)()<

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 10:25:11 AM »
McKay hasn't a leg to stand on.  Julie came over for the 2002 appeal but was never called as the defence were scared of what she might say.  All this evidence is old news and no appeal court will ever tolerate any attempt to try to reintroduce it. I think Mckay is stuffed and he knows it thus why he is breaking with all rules of ethics and running crying to the Press.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Tim Invictus

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:30:29 AM »
I think I am going to be incensed too but for some reason that link freezes my computer .... would someone kindly copy and paste the bodytext here please. Or even better post a copy of the article which probably should be exposed on the forum!

Thank you kindly in advance.

Weety

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 10:41:05 AM »

WINNIPEG — Jeremy Bamber was convicted in 1986 of murdering five members of his family — one of the most sensational British murder trials in decades.

The 52-year-old Bamber has alleged all along that he was the victim of a wrongful conviction, and he'll find out next week if the British courts will grant him leave to appeal.

If the appeal goes ahead, a key witness could again be his former girlfriend, Julie Mugford — now Julie Smerchanski, a Winnipeg wife and mother, and director of assessment and instructional support services for the Winnipeg School Division.

"Yes, absolutely," he will call Smerchanski to testify should his client have his appeal heard, Bamber's lawyer Simon McKay said Wednesday from Leeds, England

"She was a key witness," McKay said, though he emphasized: "No one considered that her evidence alone convicted Bamber."

Smerchanski has not responded to emailed interview requests from the Winnipeg Free Press. She has an unlisted home phone number.

Bamber's case has resulted in several books and numerous television documentaries.

Bamber was adopted as a child into a relatively wealthy English farm family. In 1985, five members of his family were found shot to death, a rifle lying across the body of Bamber's non-biological adopted sister.

The victims included Bamber's adoptive parents, and his sister's two young children.

For weeks, police believed that the sister suffered from mental illness and had committed four murders before taking her own life.

But they eventually charged Bamber with all five murders, and he was convicted and sentenced to life without parole.

McKay said that the Bamber trial has been so sensational in the United Kingdom for so many years, that a mythology has developed around it. The original trial created a media frenzy in Britain, complete with some media outlets offering tens of thousands of pounds for exclusive interviews.

A previous appeal bid failed in 2002, but that attempt to get a new trial was based entirely on DNA evidence, said McKay, who took up Bamber's case last year. McKay has had several highly publicized murder convictions overturned, and is representing several clients victimized in the ongoing hacked telephone and email scandal in Britain.

McKay said that he will allege in court that the police thoroughly mishandled the original murder investigation, and that some crucial evidence was contaminated. Bamber's legal team has pathologists and forensic experts who will testify that the evidence clearly points to the sister as the murderer, said McKay.

He said the charges against Bamber were laid after Mugford came forward and told police about statements he had allegedly made to her, McKay said.

"It wasn't until the 2002 appeal that it was learned she had moved to Canada," McKay said. "I know journalists have come to Canada and tried to talk to her."

Extensive online coverage of the Bamber case indicates that Mugford played a crucial role in the 1986 trial, and that she has consistently declined to talk to the media.

McKay said that he believes he can compel Smerchanski to testify at an appeal.

"We're fairly certain we can issue a subpoena upon her," and that extradition treaties would force her to testify, he said.

© Copyright (c) Winnipeg Free Press

Read more: http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/Winnipeg+woman+testimony+could+appeal+five/6481881/story.html#ixzz1sTfxxTAz

Offline Tim Invictus

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »
Thank you Weety  @)(++(*

What a poisonous little chancer Simon Decay has turned out to be! Shame on him!

There is an unquantifyable aspect to this farce and that is who did the jury believe; Bamber or Mugford? Bamber had his choice of one of the top QC's in the country to challenge Julie's testimony in court and he couldn't lay a glove on her. We all know that is because Julie told the truth!

The inference that Julie lied to secure her 25K deal with the NOTW is a completely bogus argument for one simple reason. When Julie went to the police to expose Bamber there was no press deal on offer for her and she couldn't have known what deal was to be put on the table!

If McChancer should get Bamber another CoA trial I think he has no chance of getting Julie to leave Cananda ... especially as she attended the 2002 appeal and wasn't even called by Bamber's defense!

McKay has a few Tesko traits ... he doesn't give a shit who he attempts to degrade to get his own way. Come on CCRC end this farce!

?8)@)-)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:14:21 AM by Tim Invictus »

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 12:18:44 PM »
Just so and the rest.  I don't subscribe to Twitter but did a search earlier and alll the old suspects are retweeting this story in an attempt to get at Julie.  How shallow they all are and very noticeable that they are all female. Is it a case that all he has are the Perez's,  Miller's,  di Girolamo's, Preece's, Brazier"s and Hanovers"s of this world?  Not forgetting Si and Eric of course!
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline John

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 03:38:06 PM »
To bring everyone up to date in this matter, I was asked to telephone Nick Martin at Winnipeg Free Press in Canada and did so just a few moments ago. I went into some detail about his article.  I assured Mr Martin that we were disgusted by it and the fact that he had in besmirched Julie Smerchanski in her home town.

He told me that he had spoken with McKay and I asked him if he didn't think this was unethical given the current status of the case.  He laughed and responded that that is what they do in Canada.  I reminded him that the case was not being dealt with in Canada and that such conduct was to put it bluntly, highly irregular.

He told me that several media organisations had attempted to contact Mrs Smerchanski without success. He stated that he asked Simon McKay what he would do if she failed to respond to his calls for her to attend court and he told me that McKay had stated that he would subpoena her.

I told Mr Martin that what he was doing was disgraceful and pointed out that Julie was the innocent party in all of this which he didn't like of course.  He told me that the pro Bamber lot had been in touch with him earlier today but I left him in no uncertain terms that what they are promoting is simply propaganda.  He put the phone down on me in the end which sort of says it all really.  Maybe that is what passes for manners in Canada?

You can contact Mr Nick Martin on 00 1 204 697 7251  (Winnipeg time UK minus 6 hours)
nick.martin@freepress.mb.ca       
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 04:54:59 PM by John »

Offline Matthew Wyse

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 06:29:38 PM »
To bring everyone up to date in this matter, I was asked to telephone Nick Martin at Winnipeg Free Press in Canada and did so just a few moments ago. I went into some detail about his article.  I assured Mr Martin that we were disgusted by it and the fact that he had in besmirched Julie Smerchanski in her home town.

He told me that he had spoken with McKay and I asked him if he didn't think this was unethical given the current status of the case.  He laughed and responded that that is what they do in Canada.  I reminded him that the case was not being dealt with in Canada and that such conduct was to put it bluntly, highly irregular.

He told me that several media organisations had attempted to contact Mrs Smerchanski without success. He stated that he asked Simon McKay what he would do if she failed to respond to his calls for her to attend court and he told me that McKay had stated that he would subpoena her.

I told Mr Martin that what he was doing was disgraceful and pointed out that Julie was the innocent party in all of this which he didn't like of course.  He told me that the pro Bamber lot had been in touch with him earlier today but I left him in no uncertain terms that what they are promoting is simply propaganda.  He put the phone down on me in the end which sort of says it all really.  Maybe that is what passes for manners in Canada?

You can contact Mr Nick Martin on 00 1 204 697 7251  (Winnipeg time UK minus 6 hours)
nick.martin@freepress.mb.ca       

You mentioned a few weeks ago that you were going to contact Julie, did you ever get a response?
Most people suspect the truth but few are able to admit it.

Offline Tim Invictus

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 06:47:19 PM »
What a nasty little welk McKay is; if he does manage to get Bamber to the CCRC I am going to actively campaign against this odious chancer! He is attempting to damage Julie's highly respectable career without Bamber even having a CoA referal. Little twunt!

amazon

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »
Remind me, when are we expecting a CCRC announcement? I recall they announced that there wouldn't be a decision before XX/XX/XXXX but I can't recall the date.

Weety

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »
23rd of April.

"welk" and "twunt" - too funny!