Author Topic: Lack of gunshot residue on Sheila's hands  (Read 24873 times)

Offline Holly Goodhead

Re: Lack of gunshot residue on Sheila's hands
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2015, 05:25:22 PM »
http://www.nioa.com.au/products/list/view/ELSH

"The Subsonic product has been developed with a non-greasy special lubricant (minimum dry lube) for more dependable operation in semi automatics and improved functioning in all weather conditions".

Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Myster

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2015, 06:15:48 PM »

I also phoned Radcliffe in Colchester and the guy didn't have any idea what I was talking about.  Said its the first time he has been asked the question.  I said you always get one!

Neither do I... ever since you first joined!  &%+((£

That's what someone said to me after the first course at a dinner party when I asked if it would be OK to lick my plate. 8(8-))
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Myster

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2015, 07:15:25 PM »
http://www.nioa.com.au/products/list/view/ELSH

"The Subsonic product has been developed with a non-greasy special lubricant (minimum dry lube) for more dependable operation in semi automatics and improved functioning in all weather conditions".

It's only simple paraffin wax, the same stuff that candles are made out of, and if you've ever tried polishing a table with one instead of beeswax you'll know how inferior it is. Hence the reason why beeswax is preferred for cartridges (such as Eley Tenex, Match and Edge) used in competition target shooting as it's less likely to make them jam up magazines and firing mechanisms. When shooting rabbits and vermin only a single shot is normally fired at one target before the rest scatter, so Eley hollow-points don't need such efficient lubrication. That's my take on it, anyway.

From what I've read I think that beeswax gives off a different odour than paraffin wax when burning, so unlikely to be mistaken by a firearms expert.

Offline puglove

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2015, 12:14:17 AM »
The prosecution case against JB at trial included a lack of gunshot residue on SC's hands.  This also featured at JB's 2002 CoA hearing insofar as the defence claimed the correct procedures were not followed for evidence gathering and handling.

Perhaps a lack of gunshot residue can be explained by forensics?

"A rifle or shotgun may not deposit GSR on hands, but more likely in the crook of the support arm". (Dalby et al, 2010)

"A rapid loss in numbers of GSR particles occurs from 1 to 3 hours post firearm discharge, though maximum recovery times of 1 to 48 hours have been reported". (Dalby et al, 2010)

http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUTORIAL/GUNS/GUNGSR.html

The absence of GSR does not indicate innocence.

"There are factors that contribute to particulate loss that must also be taken into consideration. For instance, suppose a firearm is discharged in a static environment (no wind or airflow). Hand samples are then collected immediately after the discharge on clean, dry hands. It would not be unusual to detect hundreds to thousands of GSR particles on these samples. Alternately, suppose a firearm was discharged outside during a windy day with inclement weather. Samples are collected several hours after the discharge, giving the subjects ample time to move, shake off, wipe, or wash their hands. In this instance, it might not be possible to find any GSR particles on the samples. This absence of gunshot residue is not an indication that the subject is innocent of discharging a firearm. All factors concerning particulate loss must be taken into account when determining if results are consistent with the aspects of a specific scenario".

http://www.forensicmag.com/articles/2012/09/science-behind-gsr-separating-fact-fiction

DI Cook moved SC's hand.  Trial transcript:

Q: It would appear that the hand and arm have been moved who was responsible for that?  A: I was sir.

Q: For what purpose?  A:  To demonstrate the blood marks which were not readily visible under the wrist.

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=168.0;attach=297

Ok, Holl. What are you saying? That Ralph was too injured to make a phone call, or that he wasn't worried enough even though his "mad" daughter had a loaded gun? You can't have it both ways. At what stage did Ralph call Bamber? And why did Bamber dick about, trawling through the phone book, when Ralph said "come quick, your sister's gone crazy with the gun." ?

Bamber is where he is, because he should be. He's a bad, selfish loony.

He hasn't got a good bone in his body, and he killed two lovely boys.

I hope he rots in hell.
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2015, 11:11:08 AM »
Ok, Holl. What are you saying? That Ralph was too injured to make a phone call, or that he wasn't worried enough even though his "mad" daughter had a loaded gun? You can't have it both ways. At what stage did Ralph call Bamber? And why did Bamber dick about, trawling through the phone book, when Ralph said "come quick, your sister's gone crazy with the gun." ?

Bamber is where he is, because he should be. He's a bad, selfish loony.

He hasn't got a good bone in his body, and he killed two lovely boys.

I hope he rots in hell.

The above has nothing to do with the thread.  If I respond here I will probably get told off for going off topic.  I'll find an existing thread or create a new one and catch ya there...
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2015, 08:09:46 AM »
Had an email response from Eley, which I'll upload later, confirming paraffin wax has always been used on the Eley subsonic. 

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2015, 08:33:47 AM »
It's only simple paraffin wax, the same stuff that candles are made out of, and if you've ever tried polishing a table with one instead of beeswax you'll know how inferior it is. Hence the reason why beeswax is preferred for cartridges (such as Eley Tenex, Match and Edge) used in competition target shooting as it's less likely to make them jam up magazines and firing mechanisms. When shooting rabbits and vermin only a single shot is normally fired at one target before the rest scatter, so Eley hollow-points don't need such efficient lubrication. That's my take on it, anyway.

From what I've read I think that beeswax gives off a different odour than paraffin wax when burning, so unlikely to be mistaken by a firearms expert.

Mr Sheen polishes my wood.

The Eley subsonic with the parrafin wax was designed for all weathers and the lube is badged up as 'firm hydrocarbon lubricant'  Varmint shooters will be outside in all weathers exposing rifle, mag and ammo to the elements.

Vermin will not hear the subsonic bullets before they're hit?  If shooters were only able to take out one before the rest scatter far and wide, surely there would be no point bothering?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 08:47:54 AM »
To Clarify, MF's assertion in CAL's book:

‘The ammunition used to carry out the murders was Ely Subsonic. The bullets themselves were coated with beeswax, which was quite unusual. When you handled them you got a sort of black grease on your hands and when they were discharged, small specks of grease or wax were emitted, not just with the bullet but from the ejection port as well. It would have been very visible.’

MF's document detailing the bullets used at WHF:

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=197.0;attach=659

". 22 rimfire [cant decipher word, looks like bulleted] cartridges
Lead bullet hollow point
Eley subsonic LR"

http://www.eley.co.uk/eley-subsonic-hollow

"The non-greasy lubricant provides smooth operation in semi-automatic rifles and improves functioning in all weather conditions".

Do I believe in conspiracy theories?  No.  Do I believe in incompetent expert witnesses and unreliable prosecution witnesses?  Yes.

Given that Eley has confirmed paraffin wax has always been used in the manufacturing of the Eley subsonic cartridges used in the tragedy at WHF I have concerns about MF's credibility as an expert witness.  Was he simply mistaken or what?  His input to CAL's book makes no sense at all.  Was he going from memory and got muddled or did he actually compile his reports at the time using this info?  Worse still were the jury told incorrectly about an abundance of beeswax?!

Offline Myster

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
Mr Sheen polishes my wood.

The Eley subsonic with the parrafin wax was designed for all weathers and the lube is badged up as 'firm hydrocarbon lubricant'  Varmint shooters will be outside in all weathers exposing rifle, mag and ammo to the elements.

Vermin will not hear the subsonic bullets before they're hit?  If shooters were only able to take out one before the rest scatter far and wide, surely there would be no point bothering?

Used to say of motorcyclist Barry Sheene - "Mr Sheene shines on all surfaces!"

Suppose it's because paraffin wax is more water-repellent than beeswax, so resists rain, dampness and humidity better.

I was talking about rabbits or other small mammals/birds which are found together in a group - once the first shot hits a single target in the group then the others scatter, through fright, not (just) because of the noise of a rifle's explosive crack. This shooter is aiming at isolated rabbits where that doesn't apply...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWEwvVg1Zdk

Offline Myster

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2015, 09:38:16 AM »
Given that Eley has confirmed paraffin wax has always been used in the manufacturing of the Eley subsonic cartridges used in the tragedy at WHF I have concerns about MF's credibility as an expert witness.  Was he simply mistaken or what?  His input to CAL's book makes no sense at all.  Was he going from memory and got muddled or did he actually compile his reports at the time using this info?  Worse still were the jury told incorrectly about an abundance of beeswax?!

Obviously mistaken, unless it was a rogue batch of ammo. I doubt whether they went into so much detail at trial as to the type and effects of bullet lubricant.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2015, 12:57:47 PM »
Obviously mistaken, unless it was a rogue batch of ammo. I doubt whether they went into so much detail at trial as to the type and effects of bullet lubricant.

CAL's book is the first time I've heard beeswax mentioned.  If the jury were told the following and it's incorrect then that's quite serious:

"The ammunition used to carry out the murders was Ely Subsonic. The bullets themselves were coated with beeswax, which was quite unusual. When you handled them you got a sort of black grease on your hands and when they were discharged, small specks of grease or wax were emitted, not just with the bullet but from the ejection port as well. It would have been very visible."

It really calls into question MF's credibility as an expert witness and whether his testimony regarding the main plank of the  prosecutions case against JB namely the draw-back effect was reliable.  As I said I wouldn't blame him per se.  He was simply an employee of a poorly managed government run forensic science lab.  If you refer back to Wilkes he makes ref to the fact that a government team were sent to FSS Huntingdon post WHF to sort out all the shortcomings.   
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:08:30 PM by Holly Goodhead »

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2015, 02:33:22 PM »
Had an email response from Eley, which I'll upload later, confirming paraffin wax has always been used on the Eley subsonic.

Here it is.  I've removed my details as it contained a work email address.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2015, 02:52:31 PM »
Here it is.  I've removed my details as it contained a work email address.

So we have the following from CAL/MF:

"The ammunition used to carry out the murders was Ely Subsonic. The bullets themselves were coated with beeswax, which was quite unusual. When you handled them you got a sort of black grease on your hands and when they were discharged, small specks of grease or wax were emitted, not just with the bullet but from the ejection port as well. It would have been very visible."

And this from Eley, the manufactueres:

http://www.eley.co.uk/eley-subsonic-hollow

Overview

The non-greasy lubricant provides smooth operation in semi-automatic rifles and improves functioning in all weather conditions".

Technical Information

"Firm hydrocarbon lubricant to reduce residues"

Specifications:

Lubricant:

Parrafin Wax

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Myster

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2015, 07:10:58 PM »
This shooter shows the latest Eley hollow-points are coated with a thin layer of paraffin wax...

https://youtu.be/fF4nvNWxqPo?t=1m42s

... but there's a different variety of Eley subsonic hollow-point called - Xtra Plus, which has a "special" lubricant for use in semi-autos. Maybe this was/is beeswax?  Although it isn't shown in their latest catalogue, so maybe not produced any more.

http://www.shoot.ie/ammunition-1/eley-22-sub-sonic-hollow-xtra-plus.html

Could the Eley tech department be mistaken and there were some batches of beeswax-coated cartridges produced in the mid '80's, say as a trial run?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2015, 09:16:06 PM »
This shooter shows the latest Eley hollow-points are coated with a thin layer of paraffin wax...

https://youtu.be/fF4nvNWxqPo?t=1m42s

... but there's a different variety of Eley subsonic hollow-point called - Xtra Plus, which has a "special" lubricant for use in semi-autos. Maybe this was/is beeswax?  Although it isn't shown in their latest catalogue, so maybe not produced any more.

http://www.shoot.ie/ammunition-1/eley-22-sub-sonic-hollow-xtra-plus.html

Could the Eley tech department be mistaken and there were some batches of beeswax-coated cartridges produced in the mid '80's, say as a trial run?

MF makes no reference to xtra plus:

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=197.0;attach=659

Perhaps MF was/is mistaken and/or incompetent.  Eley products are based on accuracy so it stands to reason this will flow through to other aspects of the business ie marketing?  The person who sent the email is associate chartered institute of marketing and sounds quite reliable.  They only currently market 13 products so given the limited product range you might expect the staff to be familiar with all aspects of the complete range. 

From CoA re hand swabs.  No mention of beeswax.

228. The reason why the judge approached the matter in this way becomes apparent when the evidence of Mr Fletcher, the prosecution's firearms expert is considered. Mr Fletcher gave the jury a demonstration of loading the magazine with the bullets. He commented that in his experience loading a full magazine would leave marks on the hands adding "in this case you get a black discolouration". (Transcript PMS/10 page 18B). When he was cross-examined by Mr Lawson, junior counsel for the appellant at trial, he was asked about this part of his evidence and said (Transcript PMS/10 page 47H):

"Well they are my own observations, and I think the observations of the court yesterday when the demonstration was made, that by loading cartridges into the magazine you get residues on your hands from the bullets and cartridges."

"230. We should perhaps point out that quite apart from Mr Fletcher's evidence, the matters were also apparent in the notes that he made of the experimental loading of cartridges. He had noted after the first loading "some lead specks and frags and some discolouration"; after the second "Further specks and frags and darker discolouration"; and after the third "quite a few specks and fragments of lead and grey/black discolouration". (See memorandum of Dr Lloyd dated 14 October 2002). As Dr Lloyd points out it may have been an assumption that the particles were lead, but the fact that the hands became dirty was noted on that occasion as well".