Author Topic: Why do the police hold back information?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: Why do the police hold back information?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 10:16:46 PM »
In my opinion the evidence is held by both the police and the prosecutor because the prosecutor directs the investigation. This is different from the UK, for example, where the police organise the investigation themselves.
Maybe someone with connections to Portugal can enlighten us as to procedure.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 10:56:31 AM »
I take it this part is your own conclusion:
"The public prosecutor receives copies of the evidence as it's collected. He sees all the evidence so it would be difficult for the police in Portugal to keep evidence out of the official case files. If it's not in those files then by definition it's not evidence."

IMO you have insufficient grounds to make such a conclusion.

I think you are being a little naive if you think police officers reveal all their sources and information to anyone.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2018, 11:33:37 AM »
I think you are being a little naive if you think police officers reveal all their sources and information to anyone.
It was G-unit holding that view.  http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=9958.msg478635#msg478635
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2018, 02:41:48 PM »
It was G-unit holding that view.  http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=9958.msg478635#msg478635

I was talking about evidence, not sources and information.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2018, 05:45:18 PM »
I was talking about evidence, not sources and information.
Can you define those please.  Are "sources and information" like a dossier of names, occupations and addresses? 
Moderation

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2018, 09:38:14 PM »
Can you define those please.  Are "sources and information" like a dossier of names, occupations and addresses?

Detectives have sources they can talk to when they need information. Off the record chats. In a very small way I was involved in such a relationship. I was a Youth Worker in a village some years ago and the local policeman would check with me if there were complaints about the local teenagers. That's because I was more likely to hear about who had done what than he was.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2018, 10:22:44 PM »
Detectives have sources they can talk to when they need information. Off the record chats. In a very small way I was involved in such a relationship. I was a Youth Worker in a village some years ago and the local policeman would check with me if there were complaints about the local teenagers. That's because I was more likely to hear about who had done what than he was.
OK that type of sources.
Moderation