Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1353365 times)

Offline Eleanor

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #615 on: November 27, 2013, 03:27:39 PM »
It means he doesn't want to use the word legal.

So it can mean whatever anyone wants it to mean, within uncertain boundaries.

It actually has no definitive meaning.

Lyall

« Reply #616 on: November 27, 2013, 03:29:14 PM »
it means there is no precise agreement

You do realise the Portuguese will be wondering why this is only being proposed six and half years later don't you? Any thoughts on that?

Lyall

« Reply #617 on: November 27, 2013, 03:34:36 PM »
So it can mean whatever anyone wants it to mean, within uncertain boundaries.

It actually has no definitive meaning.

I've seen another news article now, and there are more words from the Commissioner. But he still doesn't use the word 'rogatory' or the words 'EU law'.

So you can be forgiven for thinking British police don't like the slowness of the bureaucratic (i.e. legal) process. But neither I expect did the Portuguese police in 2007/8, but nobody in the UK media cared about that then did they.

There are good reasons why people are cynical, Eleanor.

Offline Carana

« Reply #618 on: November 27, 2013, 03:44:48 PM »
Sonia Poulton has Stephen Birch on last evening, and Michael Shrimpton is on right now >@@(*&)

Seriously? That should be... erm, illuminating.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #619 on: November 27, 2013, 03:45:04 PM »
You do realise the Portuguese will be wondering why this is only being proposed six and half years later don't you? Any thoughts on that?

Times they are a changing.  The UK tried too bloody hard not to step on anyone's toes.  This in itself was a disgrace.  Four years before they actually did anything.
Madeleine is a British Citizen, missing abroad.  She deserved so much better than a botched investigation.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #620 on: November 27, 2013, 03:50:37 PM »
I've seen another news article now, and there are more words from the Commissioner. But he still doesn't use the word 'rogatory' or the words 'EU law'.

So you can be forgiven for thinking British police don't like the slowness of the bureaucratic (i.e. legal) process. But neither I expect did the Portuguese police in 2007/8, but nobody in the UK media cared about that then did they.

There are good reasons why people are cynical, Eleanor.

Cynical about what?

You need to understand the importance of CORRECT Rogatory Applications, no matter who instigates them.
The Portuguese didn't even know that Southern Ireland is not part of The UK, so heaven knows how many other mistakes they made initially.

Lyall

« Reply #621 on: November 27, 2013, 03:56:14 PM »
Times they are a changing.  The UK tried too bloody hard not to step on anyone's toes.  This in itself was a disgrace.  Four years before they actually did anything.
Madeleine is a British Citizen, missing abroad.  She deserved so much better than a botched investigation.

So why is it we never see any of this indignation about the policy of successive UK governments? Or about the performance of the UK police since 2011?

All we ever see is the relentless criticism of one individual - Mr Amaral.

Offline Carana

« Reply #622 on: November 27, 2013, 03:57:24 PM »
Cynical about what?

You need to understand the importance of CORRECT Rogatory Applications, no matter who instigates them.
The Portuguese didn't even know that Southern Ireland is not part of The UK, so heaven knows how many other mistakes they made initially.

Were any rogatory requests submitted during Team Amaral's tenure?

Lyall

« Reply #623 on: November 27, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »
Cynical about what?

I do understand the importance of them. I'm sure the Met Commissioner does too. But when he speaks in public he doesn't mention them, and neither does the media. At best that's dumbing down.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #624 on: November 27, 2013, 04:04:38 PM »
So why is it we never see any of this indignation about the policy of successive UK governments? Or about the performance of the UK police since 2011?

All we ever see is the relentless criticism of one individual - Mr Amaral.

Amaral was the botched investigation.  Read his book.  The McCanns were guilty on Day One, according to him.

Successive UK Governments are by the by. Whoever they are they are still The Government.

No one knows what The UK Police have discovered.

Lyall

« Reply #625 on: November 27, 2013, 04:10:18 PM »
Amaral was the botched investigation.  Read his book.  The McCanns were guilty on Day One, according to him.

Successive UK Governments are by the by. Whoever they are they are still The Government.

Read other books than just that one, Eleanor. When a child disappears without any trace, police everywhere - Portugal, UK, US, and everywhere else - always suspect everyone: the child's parents included.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #626 on: November 27, 2013, 04:11:01 PM »

Has he been proven wrong?
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

ferryman

« Reply #627 on: November 27, 2013, 04:12:11 PM »

Has he been proven wrong?

Comprehensively.

Redblossom

« Reply #628 on: November 27, 2013, 04:14:49 PM »
    Jerry Lawton @JerryLawton   38m
Sources say there has been `no breakthrough' in #mccann investigation despite Europe-wide Crimewatch appeal
View details ·   
    Jerry Lawton @JerryLawton   41m
Joint task force involving cops from different countries `uncommon' but possible under EU law #mccann
View details ·   
    Jerry Lawton @JerryLawton   43m
Brit and Portuguese govts in talks to set up joint #McCann task force to share info & act as one, police reveal
View details ·   
    Jerry Lawton @JerryLawton   44m
Met Police Commissioner says work underway to set up joint task force of Brit and Portuguese officers in bid to solve #McCann mystery
View details ·   
    Jerry Lawton @JerryLawton   45m
Met Police Commissioner admits Brit & Portuguese #McCann police teams following `different' lines of inquiry
View details ·   
    Jerry Lawton @JerryLawton   46m
Brit and Portuguese police probes into disappearance of Madeleine #McCann set to merge
View details ·   

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #629 on: November 27, 2013, 04:15:48 PM »
Were any rogatory requests submitted during Team Amaral's tenure?

I don't think so.  So not possible to blame Amaral for that cock up, presuming that they made more mistakes than the Southern Ireland mistake.
But no further application was made to reinterview The Smiths, which would suggest that The Portuguese Investigation at that time did not think that The Smith's testimonies would add anything at all.
And nor do I, as it happens.