Author Topic: Strange Witness Statements  (Read 591543 times)

Offline Benice

Re: Strange Witness Statements
« Reply #1770 on: August 30, 2015, 09:31:18 PM »
Maybe Gerry changed his mind and, thought it would be nice for the kids to go the play area after all, or Gerry and Kate got muddled in these statements(not difficult to understand considering, how stressed they must have been).
There is no way of telling, why the statements are as we see them.

I think knowing that DP was going to get his tennis gear - he simply asked him to call in on Kate to see if she needed any help with the  kids or whether maybe she had changed her mind about taking them out.   Didn't DP report back to Gerry that she was OK and tried to persuade him to stay longer at the courts?

Considering the enormity of what happened later that night - I'm surprised they could recall such an insignificant event -  (in comparison)  - with any accuracy at all.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1771 on: August 30, 2015, 09:33:12 PM »
No that's not what I'm saying.   I'm saying that maybe some members of this forum overestimate the effect of a woman wrapped in a towel, particularly on a holiday in which David quote possibly saw a lot more of Kate's body by the pool when it wasn't wrapped in a towel.

are you really a man I wonder? At the very least most men would have noticed and remembered in my opinion. Anyway; the freezing cold pool which no-one went into? During a week when Jane Tanner went running in joggers because it was so cold?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Benice

« Reply #1772 on: August 30, 2015, 09:36:22 PM »
are you really a man I wonder? At the very least most men would have noticed and remembered in my opinion. Anyway; the freezing cold pool which no-one went into? During a week when Jane Tanner went running in joggers because it was so cold?

IIRC Kate went into the pool on the first day with Madeleine. 
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1773 on: August 30, 2015, 09:38:04 PM »
IIRC Kate went into the pool on the first day with Madeleine.

Allegedly.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Benice

« Reply #1774 on: August 30, 2015, 09:39:24 PM »
Allegedly.

Why would she lie about something like that?

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1775 on: August 30, 2015, 09:41:40 PM »
I think knowing that DP was going to get his tennis gear - he simply asked him to call in on Kate to see if she needed any help with the  kids or whether maybe she had changed her mind about taking them out.   Didn't DP report back to Gerry that she was OK and tried to persuade him to stay longer at the courts?

Considering the enormity of what happened later that night - I'm surprised they could recall such an insignificant event -  (in comparison)  - with any accuracy at all.

It's not insignificant when it was the last time somebody from outside of the family saw Madeleine. Trying to get Gerry to stay on and play tennis or it could be for another reason because Gerry left straight away  8(>((

During the afternoon of that day the rest of the group members, including the children, were at the beach, [they] having returned at 18H30, the time at which he saw DP next to the tennis court. DAVID went to visit KATE and the children and returned close to 19H00, trying to convince the deponent to continue to play tennis, to which [entreaty] he did not accede as he had already been plying for about an hour and had to go back to to his wife. Nevertheless, RUSSELL, DAVID and MATHEW stayed to play.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/GERRY-MCCANN-10MAY.htm
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline mercury

« Reply #1776 on: August 30, 2015, 09:49:39 PM »

Well you would think of a Mitchellesque" innocent reason for anything and everything, it's what you do...as for recall, when something tragic happens, your memory is enhanced not reduced, normally.....

Offline Benice

« Reply #1777 on: August 30, 2015, 09:54:07 PM »
It's not insignificant when it was the last time somebody from outside of the family saw Madeleine. Trying to get Gerry to stay on and play tennis or it could be for another reason because Gerry left straight away  8(>((

During the afternoon of that day the rest of the group members, including the children, were at the beach, [they] having returned at 18H30, the time at which he saw DP next to the tennis court. DAVID went to visit KATE and the children and returned close to 19H00, trying to convince the deponent to continue to play tennis, to which [entreaty] he did not accede as he had already been plying for about an hour and had to go back to to his wife. Nevertheless, RUSSELL, DAVID and MATHEW stayed to play.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/GERRY-MCCANN-10MAY.htm

Only with hindsight,  but not at the actual time it happened - so they had no reason at all to remember exact conversations. 

Also people seem to think that the only words they ever spoke to oneanother  - are only those which are  recorded in the files - when it's obvious that conversations - chatting - banter etc etc would be going on all the time when they were together as a group of friends.    So even harder for them to remember exactly what was said IMO. 

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1778 on: August 30, 2015, 09:54:58 PM »
Well you would think of a Mitchellesque" innocent reason for anything and everything, it's what you do...as for recall, when something tragic happens, your memory is enhanced not reduced, normally.....

So far this has been a pleasant discussion.  Please don't spoil it.

Offline mercury

« Reply #1779 on: August 30, 2015, 09:57:47 PM »
So far this has been a pleasant discussion.  Please don't spoil it.

Just stating facts, delete it if you don't like it....

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1780 on: August 30, 2015, 09:59:11 PM »

Only with hindsight,  but not at the actual time it happened - so they had no reason at all to remember exact conversations. 

Also people seem to think that the only words they ever spoke to oneanother  - are only those which are  recorded in the files - when it's obvious that conversations - chatting - banter etc etc would be going on all the time when they were together as a group of friends.    So even harder for them to remember exactly what was said IMO. 

He remembered definitely being in the apartment but he struggles on why he was there. He definitely remembered the white little angels but struggled to remember what Kate was wearing and it wasn't a towel. Maybe it was her favourite pants.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Anna

« Reply #1781 on: August 30, 2015, 10:01:52 PM »

It depends what you mean by "normally"
I have had a few traumatic incidents in my life which turned me into something resembling a zombie and remembering very little.
In a vehicle crash several years back, on the motorway. I could remember very little when being questioned a day or so later. The latter episode is still coming back in bits(nightmares really)......So I guess... I'm not normal.
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline mercury

« Reply #1782 on: August 30, 2015, 10:09:20 PM »
It depends what you mean by "normally"
I have had a few traumatic incidents in my life which turned me into something resembling a zombie and remembering very little.
In a vehicle crash several years back, on the motorway. I could remember very little when being questioned a day or so later. The latter episode is still coming back in bits(nightmares really)......So I guess... I'm not normal.

That's not a very good example as it's something that happened in an instant and any recall of what you were doing during the day and minutes and hours before would have borne no relevance...

Offline Benice

« Reply #1783 on: August 30, 2015, 10:12:04 PM »
He remembered definitely being in the apartment but he struggles on why he was there. He definitely remembered the white little angels but struggled to remember what Kate was wearing and it wasn't a towel. Maybe it was her favourite pants.

As I said - those few mins spent at 5A were virtually of no importance at all at the time - so no reason for him or anyone else to make sure they carefully committed every detail to memory.

It was only much later that it became of any significance and needed to be recalled - whilst in the meantime a tragedy of monumental proportions had taken place -  which would overshadow everything.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1784 on: August 30, 2015, 10:15:34 PM »
As I said - those few mins spent at 5A were virtually of no importance at all at the time - so no reason for him or anyone else to make sure they carefully committed every detail to memory.

It was only much later that it became of any significance and needed to be recalled - whilst in the meantime a tragedy of monumental proportions had taken place -  which would overshadow everything.

Are you kidding? She only went missing a few hours later. I think he could remember back a few hours when he last saw her and why he was there and remember everything about that visit.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 10:19:53 PM by pathfinder73 »