Author Topic: Strange Witness Statements  (Read 591633 times)

Aiofe

Re: Strange Witness Statements
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2013, 04:50:53 PM »
How ridiculous ! In jail ! If you're proved to have exposed your children you get a fine. Only if you don't want to pay it, you go to jail.
What are fines made for ? To change people's mentalities ? No, it's just an attempt to dissuade them of doing wrong again. Next time they likely pay a baby sitter, it's cheaper.

How do you know that they would not have believed that they would be charged with concealing a corpse or manslaughter?

Aegean

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2013, 04:51:02 PM »
I see you're still trying to convince yourself that the McCanns invented the Listening method of child checking for parents on holiday Stephen.

If you care so passionately about it - why don't you track down all the hotels etc who still offer this service and lobby them to withdraw it.    IMO that would be far more productive than spamming this forum with the same old mantra - and think how good you would feel about yourself if you managed to get just one hotel to withdraw the service.

Just a suggestion.

Did the McCanns use the "Listening method"? I  thought they didn't use any of the various child care services offered by the Club, and opted instead for the "checking method" of looking in every half hour (i.e. once an hour).

Aiofe

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2013, 04:53:53 PM »
Portugal is a State of Law, whether you like it or not. Nobody "pins" murder on nobody here. There's a constitution, a written one (not like in the UK), that guarantees respect to human beings.
You refuse, Benice, to understand what an arguido is, perhaps because it doesn't suit your agenda which is to portrait the McCanns as major victims of abducting monsters, venal media and criminal police officers.
According to you they deserve heaven without confession. Good. But the time hasn't yet come.

Every country has corruption and stupidity built into its legal system because people are stupid and corrupt. There are ways to attempt to limit it, but it occurs everywhere. Are you telling me that Portugal has the only error free system in the world.

Aegean

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2013, 05:01:20 PM »
Every country has corruption and stupidity built into its legal system because people are stupid and corrupt. There are ways to attempt to limit it, but it occurs everywhere. Are you telling me that Portugal has the only error free system in the world.

I think what's she's saying is that Portugal has the rule of law and isn't a banana republic, as some are trying to present it.

Anyway, I'd dispute your claim that "every country has corruption and stupidity built into its legal system". I think most western legal systems are rather good. The problem isn't with the system, it's with how it's used and abused.

Aiofe

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2013, 05:08:17 PM »
I think what's she's saying is that Portugal has the rule of law and isn't a banana republic, as some are trying to present it.

Anyway, I'd dispute your claim that "every country has corruption and stupidity built into its legal system". I think most western legal systems are rather good. The problem isn't with the system, it's with how it's used and abused.

You are kidding. Which system has not had its problems with major obvious miscarriages of Justice?

Aiofe

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »
Aoife is pronounced [ˈiːfʲə]
How do you pronounce the improbable Aiofe ?

Playing the man eh? Playing with names eh? I have been warned about you.

Aiofe

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2013, 05:52:13 PM »
Aoife is pronounced [ˈiːfʲə]
How do you pronounce the improbable Aiofe ?

Just to compound your embarrassment:

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/aiofe-clancy-mn0000925376/biography
http://www.carlyrodgers.co.uk/aiofe-and-mark-in-dublin/
http://www.jacquelineelizabeth.com/aiofe-jeff-tofino-wedding/
http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-aiofe-egan-gbb98
https://www.facebook.com/aiofe.maire
http://www.nytimes.com/movies/person/1670126/Aiofe-Mulally

and more than 20 pages on Google search for people named Aiofe.

Both Aiofe and Aoife are transliterating a difficult Gaelic vowel "í" and both versions are used.

Please avoid petty and distracting off subject attacks.

Aiofe

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2013, 05:53:42 PM »
Aiofe, dear, I'm sorry this notion is a little too complicated for you. The "legal system" is the legal principles, laws and practices that a state follows. The legal system itself in most western countries is good, in terms of the laws, principles, concepts upon which it's based. Miscarriages of justice are the result of the system being abused, they are not the result of the principles of the legal system.

How condescending. No matter what the claimed process of Justice is, it is always perverted by human frailties. I am sure that Salazar also claimed that the previous system of Justice was excellent!

Benita

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2013, 05:56:46 PM »

Aiofe

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2013, 06:02:40 PM »
"The Interpretation of Murder" - a strange title of a book to read after your daughter has gone missing and could possibly be murdered?  Very strange our the McCann's.

Except that it had just been published in 2007 and was at the top of the best seller list- I expect many serious readers took it as holiday reading- I did.

Publication Date: 15 Jan 2007
A dazzling literary thriller - the story of Sigmund Freud assisting a Manhattan murder investigation. Think SHADOW OF THE WIND meets THE HISTORIAN.

THE INTERPRETATION OF MURDER is an inventive tour de force inspired by Sigmund Freud's 1909 visit to America, accompanied by prot?g? and rival Carl Jung. When a wealthy young debutante is discovered bound, whipped and strangled in a luxurious apartment overlooking the city, and another society beauty narrowly escapes the same fate, the mayor of New York calls upon Freud to use his revolutionary new ideas to help the surviving victim recover her memory of the attack, and solve the crime. But nothing about the attacks - or about the surviving victim, Nora - is quite as it seems. And there are those in very high places determined to stop the truth coming out, and Freud's startling theories taking root on American soil.

Offline imustpointout

« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2013, 06:05:43 PM »
"The Interpretation of Murder" - a strange title of a book to read after your daughter has gone missing and could possibly be murdered?  Very strange our the McCann's.

lucky for you it wasn't The Da Vinci Code

Aiofe

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »
Aiofe, dear, I'm sorry this notion is a little too complicated for you. The "legal system" is the legal principles, laws and practices that a state follows. The legal system itself in most western countries is good, in terms of the laws, principles, concepts upon which it's based. Miscarriages of justice are the result of the system being abused, they are not the result of the principles of the legal system.

Anne Guedes original ststement was:

"Portugal is a State of Law, whether you like it or not. Nobody "pins" murder on nobody here."

So she was claiming that because there is the rule of Law in Portugal, miscarriages of Justice by 'framing' are impossible.

that does not follow.

Every Legal system has miscarriages.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2013, 06:17:09 PM »
Anne Guedes original ststement was:

"Portugal is a State of Law, whether you like it or not. Nobody "pins" murder on nobody here."

So she was claiming that because there is the rule of Law in Portugal, miscarriages of Justice by 'framing' are impossible.

that does not follow.

Every Legal system has miscarriages.
No. Legal systems don't generate miscarriages.
And please don't pretend I said what I didn't, extracting sentences from context.

Aegean

« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2013, 06:23:12 PM »
Except that it had just been published in 2007 and was at the top of the best seller list- I expect many serious readers took it as holiday reading- I did.

Publication Date: 15 Jan 2007
A dazzling literary thriller - the story of Sigmund Freud assisting a Manhattan murder investigation. Think SHADOW OF THE WIND meets THE HISTORIAN.

THE INTERPRETATION OF MURDER is an inventive tour de force inspired by Sigmund Freud's 1909 visit to America, accompanied by prot?g? and rival Carl Jung. When a wealthy young debutante is discovered bound, whipped and strangled in a luxurious apartment overlooking the city, and another society beauty narrowly escapes the same fate, the mayor of New York calls upon Freud to use his revolutionary new ideas to help the surviving victim recover her memory of the attack, and solve the crime. But nothing about the attacks - or about the surviving victim, Nora - is quite as it seems. And there are those in very high places determined to stop the truth coming out, and Freud's startling theories taking root on American soil.

That was one of the worst books I ever had the misfortune of wasting my time trying to read.

Offline imustpointout

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2013, 06:26:34 PM »
That was one of the worst books I ever had the misfortune of wasting my time trying to read.

ah so that's the real reason you didn't like Gerry reading it