Author Topic: Invoking Article 50  (Read 39442 times)

stephen25000

Invoking Article 50
« on: July 19, 2016, 01:35:29 PM »
As I mentioned the other day there are legal cases being submitted to prevent the P.M. invoking Article 50 by herself, or for that matter any other P.M.

As stated on Sky News, the cases will go the Supreme Court in October.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/19/government-awaits-first-legal-opposition-to-brexit-in-high-court

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:18:30 AM by John »

stephen25000

Re: Invoking Article 50
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 05:09:51 PM »
7 cases have been submitted in relation to article 50 .

Offline sadie

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 07:52:19 PM »
7 cases have been submitted in relation to article 50 .
Have they been submitted by business people?
Or perhaps by people anxious to get the Brexit vote overturned ... as they were "sold" lies?

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 04:58:11 PM »
You appear to be under some illusion that Article 50 might not be invoked?

Parliament is the highest authority in the land and can change the law if need be.  Some people never know when to quit!!
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 05:26:58 PM »
You appear to be under some illusion that Article 50 might not be invoked?

Parliament is the highest authority in the land and can change the law if need be.  Some people never know when to quit!!

Well, it is very unlikely to be invoked this year.  Perhaps sometime in 2017, but there will probable be a debate and vote in the HOC first.  And that could take a while. 

Then there is an (extendible) two year period of negotiation. 

French and German elections in 2017. 

Listening to political rhetoric, I wouldn't be too confident that you are going to get rid of all of us immigrants just yet either.

The ECHR will still influence UK law.

My prediction - there will be changes in the uk and in Europe but not very significant.   And the 'Brexiteers' may be a bit disappointed. 

If a week is a long time in politics - three years is eternity.  8(0(*

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 05:36:37 PM »
Well, it is very unlikely to be invoked this year.  Perhaps sometime in 2017, but there will probable be a debate and vote in the HOC first.  And that could take a while. 

Then there is an (extendible) two year period of negotiation. 

French and German elections in 2017. 

Listening to political rhetoric, I wouldn't be too confident that you are going to get rid of all of us immigrants just yet either.

The ECHR will still influence UK law.

My prediction - there will be changes in the uk and in Europe but not very significant.   And the 'Brexiteers' may be a bit disappointed. 

If a week is a long time in politics - three years is eternity.  8(0(*

Theresa did say by the end of the year but I predict it will happen sooner as she comes to terms with what's really involved. As far as the ECHR is concerned, Theresa has already said she wants to leave it.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/25/uk-must-leave-european-convention-on-human-rights-theresa-may-eu-referendum
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 05:42:49 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 05:38:15 PM »
Theresa did say by the end of the year but I predict it will happen sooner as she comes to terms with what's really involved.

You should keep an eye out on the court cases Angelo, which will end up in the Supreme Court in December. 8(0(*

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 05:39:09 PM »
You should keep an eye out on the court cases Angelo, which will end up in the Supreme Court in December. 8(0(*

Irrelevant.  No British Court can decide this.

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 05:40:59 PM »
...and then we have this from a member of Ukip.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ukip-councillor-says-its-time-8457502

' Ukip councillor says it's 'time to start killing these people' until Article 50 is invoked and Britain leaves EU '

Terry Nathan is being probed by police over angry messages he posted on Brexit facebook page threatening 'remainers' with a 'bullet'

SWNSUKIP councillor Terry NathanUkip councillor Terry Nathan is facing a police probe

Police are probing comments made by a Ukip Councillor who posted a message on a Brexit facebook page saying it was time to “start killing people” until Article 50 is invoked - just a month after the murder of Jo Cox.

Terry Nathan, 62, posted the sinister messages threatening "remainers" with a "bullet".

The Bromley councillor posted angry messages on a post on a Facebook page called Get Britain Out in response to a news story over delays in invoking Article 50 to trigger Britain’s formal withdrawal from the EU.

He posted: “Time to start killing these people till article 50 is invoked, perhaps remainers will get the message then.”

When another user called for “less of the threats”, he replied: “Not threatening anyone, no need for threats just a bullet.”

stephen25000

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 05:41:40 PM »
Irrelevant.  No British Court can decide this.

Do you even know what the court cases are about ?

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 05:44:42 PM »
Do you even know what the court cases are about ?

A bunch of tossers basically.  The majority have spoken so there isn't a cat in hells chance of stopping it now.   8@??)(

Article 50 will be invoked and there isn't a God-damn thing you or anyone else can do about it so get over it and move on!  No wonder there is a backlog in the courts if they allow this nonsense to take up valuable court time.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 05:49:38 PM by Angelo222 »

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 05:49:17 PM »
A bunch of tossers basically.

Article 50 will be invoked and there isn't a God-damn thing you or anyone else can do about it so get over it and move on!

i.e. You haven't got a clue.

As to members of the Terrence Ossers Club, Terry Nathan of Ukip is a prime member, wouldn't you agree Angelo.

8)-)))

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 05:50:37 PM »
I will remind you of your comments nearer Christmas!   As for tossers, they're everywhere in Parliament.

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 05:53:27 PM »
I will remind you of your comments nearer Christmas!   As for tossers, they're everywhere in Parliament.

We shall see Angelo.

As I will remind you about the 2 years minimum period needed to leave the EU, plus of course ratification. 8(*(

Offline misty

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 06:03:04 PM »
If we drag our heels, will the EU just get vindictive & invoke article 7?