Author Topic: Greek police appeal over mystery blonde girl found living in a Roma camp.  (Read 44604 times)

Offline Wonderfulspam

Re: Greek police appeal over mystery blonde girl found living in a Roma camp.
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2013, 06:55:10 PM »
what about  the abducted blonde girl from the bed by a stranger whose parents were doctors satistics

Yeah & what about the not abducted blonde girl from the bed which appeared not to have been slept in statistics.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline jassi

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2013, 07:00:10 PM »
Who was it said "lies, damned lies and statistics"
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

AnneGuedes

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2013, 07:05:42 PM »
coincidences as Kate McCann might say.
Collective beliefs are good vectors for stereotypes.

icabodcrane

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2013, 07:18:41 PM »
Semantics.

So it's racist to say that gypsies 'snatch' children, but acceptable to claim that they 'abduct' them or buy and sell them?

...  either way,   cream buns and lashings of ginger beer would be in order

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2013, 07:22:55 PM »
...  either way,   cream buns and lashings of ginger beer would be in order

Very funny, icabod

By the way I am doing some homework now on abductions from bed.

Would just like to reiterate to you and all that I am not suggesting that Gypsies took Madeleine, or are involved somehow, merely that it is certainly a possibility - amongst the many possibilities we have if we are using the abduction theory as a working hypothesis.

Cariad

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »
Semantics.

So it's racist to say that gypsies 'snatch' children, but acceptable to claim that they 'abduct' them or buy and sell them?

No. As I said, it's fine to say 'a Roma family abducted a child', as that seems to be the case. Black men sometimes commit crimes, that doesn't mean it's ok to say black men are criminals.

Funnily enough I was going to accuse you of semantics!

Sherlock, you've repeatedly demonstrated your intelligence on these boards. You don't need me to explain this to you.

You're well aware of the point I was making. Even if I was making it clumsily, you're more than capable of deducing what I meant.

I wasn't at any point accusing you or anyone else who has posted on this topic of racism. I was expressing my own discomfort with the language around the subject.

I don't want to row or detract from the topic in any way, so I'll leave it there.

drummer

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2013, 08:02:06 PM »
thhis poor little girl is reported to be deeply traumatised by being taken    from the only enviroment she  knows and her little friends are asking   for her it proves if maddie was  alive she  would not just   enter back into  the mcanns lives like some seem to think  she would be  deeply traumatised like this little girl imo

and  the little girl  is   the same age as maddie was when she vanished  so imagine iif maddie  is still alive now she would have no   memory of gerry and kate or any of her  family the  reunion would traumatise her yet again thats why    it is annoying when  i read that people think if maddie is alive and found it will be a happy ending and maddie would slot in  like she was never   away  it wont trauma    does not go away   

if maddie is alive somewhere she may have friends and people who she  thinks is family   imagine having to   leave that at aged   10 ( not exusing any abdcutor if thats the case btw  just  saying from imo maddies point of view)

I don't think that anyone here has ever stated that Madeleine would just be able," to slot in like she was never away." In the event of Madeleine being found I would expect it to be handled by professionals working with all of the family.

Offline jassi

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2013, 08:07:50 PM »
I think so much would depend on the timescale. If found, she might be an adult, like Ben Needham would be, and may have no wish to have close contact with the parents or family. It may not be the happy family reunion anticipated.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Redblossom

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2013, 08:19:33 PM »
Re abducted by stranger from bed statistics.....I bet most people can thnk of half a dozen faked abductions where the baby/toddler was said to have gone missing from bed than real ones, and a couple unsolved ones, just a thought....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
what about  the abducted blonde girl from the bed by a stranger whose parents were doctors satistics

Yeah & what about the not abducted blonde girl from the bed which appeared not to have been slept in statistics.

surely these statistics must be available

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2013, 08:55:01 PM »
surely these statistics must be available

And if they are not then someone should see to it that they are.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2013, 09:39:59 PM »
I have been doing a bit of research into child abduction from bed and I must admit that the only examples I can find are American ones - thought there are a good few examples nonetheless:

Elizabeth Smart, 2002. This is a very famous case, in the US as at least, and an interesting and involved one. An abductor entered the home in the middle of the night and took Elizabeth, then aged 14, from a bedroom she shared with her 9 year old sister. The sister witnessed the abductor at length, but did not call out to alert anyone as she was afraid he would kill her and her sister.

Elizabeth was admittedly much older than Madeleine - and therefore, one would think, harder to subdue and exit with undetected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Smart_kidnapping

Rosie Tapia, abducted from her bed in 1995, age 6, and murdered.

http://mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com/2007/03/13/rosie-tapia-murder-81395-salt-lake-city-ut-unsolved-murder/

Both girls were from Salt Lake City, Utah.

And a more recent example, from Los Angeles:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/29/local/la-me-kidnapped-20130329

And another case, from Georgia, that involved a burglary:

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/09/17/ayvani-hope-perez-missing-georgia-home-invasion

No sign of gypsies, though it's a completely different demographic.

I did find a related piece on the topic of abduction from bed, however:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865558906/Child-abductions-from-homes-exceptionally-rare-expert-says.html

The piece contains an interesting insight:

''And while such brazen abductions are a parent's worst fear, they don't happen often, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

"We do see them from time to time, but they are exceptionally rare," said Bob Lowery, executive director of the Virginia-based center's missing child division.

"We have the expectation that when we are at home, we are safe," he said. "This is a different kind of predator that will engage in something that high-risk because of the motivation for what he wants to do with that child."

Sherlock's question from this article is:

Does that statement, if true, suggest that someone willing to enter a child's bedroom at night, with all the risks that that entails, would be unlikely to be a person merely in the employ of higher-up or group who wanted a child to sell or pass on, or use for their own purposes?

For him to have been prepared to make such a brazen move, would he be a man operation alone, driven by his own nefarious drives?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 12:48:52 AM by Sherlock Holmes »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2013, 09:46:56 PM »
No. As I said, it's fine to say 'a Roma family abducted a child', as that seems to be the case. Black men sometimes commit crimes, that doesn't mean it's ok to say black men are criminals.

Funnily enough I was going to accuse you of semantics!

Sherlock, you've repeatedly demonstrated your intelligence on these boards. You don't need me to explain this to you.

You're well aware of the point I was making. Even if I was making it clumsily, you're more than capable of deducing what I meant.

I wasn't at any point accusing you or anyone else who has posted on this topic of racism. I was expressing my own discomfort with the language around the subject.

I don't want to row or detract from the topic in any way, so I'll leave it there.

Yes, Cariad, we can go round and around the garden with semantics! I just wanted to clarify I wasn't saying that 'all' gypsies snatch or abduct - merely that there appear to be some cases where they do.

Anyway, I agree we ought to try to steer clear of these types of statements on this forum whether they are strictly speaking OK or not.

Benita

« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2013, 11:46:54 PM »
"This case has nothing to do with Madeleine."

Yep thats what I thought.
Other than her being a girl, no connection.

so why has it been brought here on madeleine news may I ask ?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2013, 02:44:35 AM »

"We do see them from time to time, but they are exceptionally rare," said Bob Lowery, executive director of the Virginia-based center's missing child division.

"We have the expectation that when we are at home, we are safe," he said. "This is a different kind of predator that will engage in something that high-risk because of the motivation for what he wants to do with that child."

Sherlock's question from this article is:

Does that statement, if true, suggest that someone willing to enter a child's bedroom at night, with all the risks that that entails, would be unlikely to be a person merely in the employ of higher-up or group who wanted a child to sell or pass on, or use for their own purposes?

For him to have been prepared to make such a brazen move, would he be a man operation alone, driven by his own nefarious drives?
Thanks for your research, SH.
Would Madeleine be the first case of abduction from bed in Europe ?
Yes, we expect to be safe at home. And especially in our bed where we're extremely vulnerable when sleeping. The bed is where we start our life and where we finish it (normally). The most intimate space, a kind of sanctuary.
This is why abduction from bed is so appalling.
The person capable to abduct from bed must have a powerful motive indeed.