Author Topic: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?  (Read 137994 times)

Offline jassi

Re: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?
« Reply #690 on: August 24, 2018, 12:05:40 PM »
Not really a strict definition of what a vigilante is.  People who participate in those sort of activities you listed are trouble makers or hooligans imo.

That description could equally apply to the dossier makers - IMO
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:16:16 PM by jassi »
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline kizzy

« Reply #691 on: August 24, 2018, 12:18:29 PM »

You obviously approve of the vigilante type action of those sceptics involved in that behaviour.

what behaviour, what vigilanti type action.

You are either a vigilante or not - what you posted in your list was not vigilantes.

Offline kizzy

« Reply #692 on: August 24, 2018, 12:20:13 PM »
What would you do

What i do - what i am entitled to do.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #693 on: August 24, 2018, 12:21:09 PM »

Quite possibly because he was still alive to fight his case while she was dead.
At least you are observant.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline jassi

« Reply #694 on: August 24, 2018, 12:29:33 PM »
At least you are observant.

Oh aye, Hawkeye that's me.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Erngath

« Reply #695 on: August 24, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »
what behaviour, what vigilanti type action.

You are either a vigilante or not - what you posted in your list was not vigilantes.

Ok.

Most of it was exceptionally disgraceful, against most people's sense of decency , completely unwarranted and troublesome.
Better ?
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #696 on: August 24, 2018, 12:33:07 PM »
Oh aye, Hawkeye that's me.
M.A.S.H
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline jassi

« Reply #697 on: August 24, 2018, 12:34:48 PM »
M.A.S.H

Very appropriate, the title of the theme song being 'Suicide is painless'

Or maybe not -

Offline Erngath

« Reply #698 on: August 24, 2018, 12:40:09 PM »

Sadly not to those left behind.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #699 on: August 24, 2018, 12:43:33 PM »
  Remember the Lord MacAlpine debacle?

He was outed ( by a concerned citizen) on live TV as being a suspect of child abuse.  He won various apologies, damages and OFCOM ruled;

' both programmes had breached the broadcasting code and had treated Lord McAlpine unfairly, causing him distress and embarrassment.'

He was found to have done nothing illegal. So why did he get apologies and damages when Brenda got thrown to the dogs?  Is it because he had more money and influence than she did and she was a disposable 'no-body'?

Do you have any idea what Brenda Leyland's economic situation was to enable you to make that assessment which sounds a bit like the tired old class argument used by some in relation to Madeleine's family v council house families.

Lord McCalpine took legal action and won redress as a result.  Tragically Brenda Leyland did not and denied herself the right to use the due process referred to in the thread title.

Ironically Gerry McCann was actively campaigning to allow ordinary individuals a measure of protection from press barons and intrusion while Brenda Leland was busying herself in her tweeting campaign involving him and his family.
Funny old world.

Snip
In the statement, the McCanns said: “Despite the history of admitted libels in respect of my family by so many newspapers, the Sunday Times still felt able to print an indefensible front page story last year and then force us to instruct lawyers – and even to start court proceedings – before it behaved reasonably. But the damage to reputation and to feelings has been done and the Sunday Times can sit back and enjoy its sales boost based on lies and abuse.

“This is exactly why parliament and Lord Justice Leveson called for truly effective independent self-regulation of newspapers – to protect ordinary members of the public from this sort of abuse. The fact is that most families could not take the financial and legal risk of going to the high court and facing down a big press bully as we have. That is why News UK and the big newspapers have opposed Leveson’s reforms and the arbitration scheme which is a necessary part of it.”

Carter-Ruck agreed to act on a no-win, no-fee basis, a system threatened by proposed changes to the law. The £55,000 is to be donated to two charities for missing people and sick children.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/02/gerry-mccann-madeleine-sunday-times-libel-payout
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #700 on: August 24, 2018, 12:48:39 PM »

Sorry I didn't mean to be callous.  I had forgotten that till you reminded me.

The song ends "and you can do the same thing if you please".    Strange to have a song that advocates suicide on a very popular program in its day.
Moderation

Offline kizzy

« Reply #701 on: August 24, 2018, 12:52:51 PM »
You are making a very serious accusation there carly.    No one knows what drove BL to kill herself,  she had attempted it once before.   It could have been a row with one of her sons for example.   Martin Brunt stated she was in a good frame of mind when he last spoke to her.

IMO you are very very wrong with that post L

nothing to do with any row with sons

Asked by the coroner if there was anything which indicated a concern for her life, Mr Brunt said: "No, but when I asked her how she was, she said 'oh I have thought about ending it all but I am feeling better - I have had a drink and spoken to my son'".

The key issues in this case skilfully avoided and evaded by everyone - a vulnerable woman

pushed over the edge by a bullying, story-hungry, pro-McCann media empire,

A and no-one seems to bat an eyelid or raise even a whisper of protest. IMO

Offline kizzy

« Reply #702 on: August 24, 2018, 12:53:52 PM »
Ok.

Most of it was exceptionally disgraceful, against most people's sense of decency , completely unwarranted and troublesome.
Better ?

You don't have to please me E

But thanks for the attempt.  8((()*/

Offline kizzy

« Reply #703 on: August 24, 2018, 01:00:40 PM »
Do you have any idea what Brenda Leyland's economic situation was to enable you to make that assessment which sounds a bit like the tired old class argument used by some in relation to Madeleine's family v council house families.

Lord McCalpine took legal action and won redress as a result.  Tragically Brenda Leyland did not and denied herself the right to use the due process referred to in the thread title.

Ironically Gerry McCann was actively campaigning to allow ordinary individuals a measure of protection from press barons and intrusion while Brenda Leland was busying herself in her tweeting campaign involving him and his family.
Funny old world.

Snip
In the statement, the McCanns said: “Despite the history of admitted libels in respect of my family by so many newspapers, the Sunday Times still felt able to print an indefensible front page story last year and then force us to instruct lawyers – and even to start court proceedings – before it behaved reasonably. But the damage to reputation and to feelings has been done and the Sunday Times can sit back and enjoy its sales boost based on lies and abuse.

“This is exactly why parliament and Lord Justice Leveson called for truly effective independent self-regulation of newspapers – to protect ordinary members of the public from this sort of abuse. The fact is that most families could not take the financial and legal risk of going to the high court and facing down a big press bully as we have. That is why News UK and the big newspapers have opposed Leveson’s reforms and the arbitration scheme which is a necessary part of it.”

Carter-Ruck agreed to act on a no-win, no-fee basis, a system threatened by proposed changes to the law. The £55,000 is to be donated to two charities for missing people and sick children.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/02/gerry-mccann-madeleine-sunday-times-libel-payout

Funny old world.

In short.

None of the messages sent by Brenda Leyland were directed personally at the mcns,

It wasn't a campaign it was her right. of opinion and free speech B

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #704 on: August 24, 2018, 01:01:29 PM »

What i do - what i am entitled to do.

You are not entitled to do much... That's why I asked