Author Topic: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?  (Read 137998 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?
« Reply #1800 on: September 06, 2018, 01:24:04 PM »
If Brenda was obviously  suicidal why did her son not act.... Obviously  he did not think she was
Thinking is inaccurate.  What sort of action would have helped.  Further intervention could just about make the matter worse.  It is a hard decision. 
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1801 on: September 06, 2018, 01:29:08 PM »
Thinking is inaccurate.  What sort of action would have helped.  Further intervention could just about make the matter worse.  It is a hard decision.
Tho point I'm making is I don't think he did.... Hevwas, trying to arrange solictors whereas if he'd realized how bad she was he could have caught a plane home or arranged for someone to look after her... I'm sure he would have done this if he'd realised how bad she was... He didn't and neither did brunt

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1802 on: September 06, 2018, 01:57:58 PM »
The guidelines  posted are for doorstepping... ie knocking on a persons door... Is that what happened  or was brenda simply approached in a public place..

However, normally broadcasters may, without prior warning interview, film or record people in the news when in public places

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1803 on: September 06, 2018, 03:45:54 PM »
I think that is very cruel Misty when you say

She chose not to continue living in hope of eventually learning the truth - which imo signifies that her quest was not as important to her as her own reputation.

Can you not sympathise with the shock and horror she must have felt seeing Martin Brunt outside her house  accusing her of trolling the McCanns and saying she was being looked at by the police, all the while knowing that this would appear at least once on television. Then it doesn't appear just once but many times on Sky followed by the Daily Mail naming her and others following suit all calling her a trxll and picking her life apart.

You say "eventually" how long is eventually to someone suffering from depression who feels that her entire life has caved in in one day IMO.

One thing I am sure of is that even when the MSM furore had died down the supporters would be sharing the video and taunting others using her experience as the stick.  They have done it before IMO

Why on earth would 'supporters' or anyone else do any such thing if Mrs Leyland's actions and those of others sharing a place along side her in the dossier were due to be consigned to the dustbin of history by Leicestershire police?
Bit of a damp squib?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1804 on: September 06, 2018, 04:00:22 PM »
Tho point I'm making is I don't think he did.... Hevwas, trying to arrange solictors whereas if he'd realized how bad she was he could have caught a plane home or arranged for someone to look after her... I'm sure he would have done this if he'd realised how bad she was... He didn't and neither did brunt

In my opinion there is no rhythm or reason as to why people decide commit suicide.  It can happen quite out of the blue leaving family and friends devastated and mystified with everyone blaming themselves for not doing the impossible and 'recognising' the signs.
Which is why in my opinion it is below the belt to apportion blame about something it is possible Brenda herself didn't even understand.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Sunny

« Reply #1805 on: September 06, 2018, 04:01:57 PM »
Why on earth would 'supporters' or anyone else do any such thing if Mrs Leyland's actions and those of others sharing a place along side her in the dossier were due to be consigned to the dustbin of history by Leicestershire police?
Bit of a damp squib?

But that was the point Brietta. The dossier was always going to end up going nowhere with the police. The people who created the dossier knew that was more than likely and wanted Brenda and others to be known to the public not just as sceptics but as trxlls. IMO.

I have seen taunting going on within forums and twitter of other sceptics who have had their identity disclosed. Some who haven't made it into the media but the taunting hasn't stopped.

One supporter on twitter has called Brenda several unpleasant nicknames since she died.   

Here is an article for you

Madeleine McCann: Innocent Brenda Leyland was hounded to death by the Trollhunters

When Brenda Leyland was doorstepped by Sky News reporter Martin Brunt, she became the “McCann Troll”,  the woman who under the name ‘sweepyface’ had bombarded Twitter with comments about the parents of missing Madeleine McCann.

No longer a real human being, Leyland was monstered by the media until she achieved the status of public enemy, awful enough to be branded a “hate-fuelled” (Times) “twisted, fecked-up bitch” (Daily Mirror). She was the eptiome of “sheer evil“.

We were left to wonder: who was hounding who?

Two days after being ‘exposed’ on the telly for our entertainment, Brenda Leyland was dead. The verdict: suicide.

At the coroner’s inquest at Leicester Town Hall, Martin Brunt says (via the Telegraph):

“At the end of the conversation she said it was a pleasure to meet you. I said I hoped I hadn’t ruined her day which I considered very much a throwaway remark. I was out of the country when I was told that Brenda Leyland had been found dead. I was devastated and I still am and the enormity of what’s happened will always be with me.”

Martin Brunt is a skilled reporter. It would be churlish not to take his upset as anything other than genuine. But his role as trollhunter-in-chief is regrettable. Swept along by a mob-fed eagerness to ‘unmask’ trolls and expose anyone saying nasty things to the glare of publicity and most excitedly court action, Brunt got his popular story.

And the self-righteous, narking trollhunters had another scalp.

He added:

“Mrs Leyland said she was concerned that the McCanns had left Madeleine and her siblings alone and that Twitter was a mean to express feelings and she hoped she had not done anything unlawful. She acknowledged that she was the holder of the @sweepyface account and said she would never tweet again.”

Mrs Leyland’s youngest son, Ben, addressed the court by letter:

“My mother had always struggled with depression and was prone to anxiety and physical health issues she had been told were effectively untreatable. There is no doubt in my mind that the Sky News interview was the final straw that pushed her to do what she did.”

Brenda Leyland was a soft target, a weak woman exposed publicly after an anonymous source had passed a dossier of alleged Twitter “trolls” to Brunt.

And the irony is in Detective Sergeant Steven Hutchings, from Leicestershire Police, saying that none of her tweets amounted to a criminal offence.

She called someone names and said nasty things to the few people fool enough to follow her on Twitter. And for that she became front-page news and the face of evil.

Coroner Catherine Mason concluded:

“I am satisfied that no one could have known what she was going to do and how she was going to do it. It’s quite clear to me that all preparation was done at her own hand and that there was no third party involvement.”

And the mob moves on…

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 04:13:20 PM by Eleanor »
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Sunny

« Reply #1806 on: September 06, 2018, 04:41:30 PM »
This list shows the onslaught that Brenda faced and these are only the first day's articles
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1scva59

Couple that with these comments about within some published mainstream media articles. Examples below.

“hate-fuelled”   “twisted, fecked-up bitch”   “sheer evil“

Is it any wonder she was totally devastated and all for some tweets that hardly anyone read.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1807 on: September 06, 2018, 06:08:50 PM »
Why would Martin Brunt have a greater insight into Brenda Leyland's state of mind than her son who knew her well did?  Although concerned for her in the situation she had put herself in Ben didn't suspect for a moment that she would take her own life.

In my opinion the subsequent trolling of Martin Brunt and the demands for his job were unwarranted ... but typical behaviour for some.

Don't you think the circumstances of the time rather preempted any follow up of the dossier as far as Martin Brunt or Sky news were concerned?

Did she tell her son that she was feeling suicidal? Did she tell Martin Brunt ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #1808 on: September 06, 2018, 06:12:17 PM »
Read her book.  Look at the pictures.  Read the interviews at the time.

Provide a cite.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #1809 on: September 06, 2018, 07:09:21 PM »
I already have, no need to be so rude.

No you haven’t. Kate’s book isn’t a cite, page and quote may be.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1810 on: September 06, 2018, 07:31:15 PM »
I have quoted verbatim from Kate’s book, did you perhaps delete it?  And whilst you’re demanding cites, how about demanding one from Sunny regarding her claim that a McCann supporter made that vile image of Brenda?
I read that too - page numbering varies between editions. Have you checked your posts  "find posts" link?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #1811 on: September 06, 2018, 07:34:48 PM »
I have quoted verbatim from Kate’s book, did you perhaps delete it?  And whilst you’re demanding cites, how about demanding one from Sunny regarding her claim that a McCann supporter made that vile image of Brenda?

Which post was that?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1812 on: September 06, 2018, 07:36:11 PM »
I read that too - page numbering varies between editions. Have you checked your posts  "find posts" link?

I'm saw it too... It's amazing how some profess opinions and don't know the basics

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1813 on: September 06, 2018, 07:42:05 PM »
Go on, I will bite, cite for Kate’s mental state.
The devastated mother of missing Madeleine McCann considered suicide and told her psychologist of 'dark thoughts' after a Portuguese detective published a book alleging she faked her daughter's disappearance, a libel trial has heard.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/kate-mccann-contemplated-suicide-after-detectives-book-on-madeleines-disappearance-8829175.html

Offline Brietta

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 07:50:23 PM by Brietta »