Author Topic: Manhunt by Colin Sutton. Are there comparisons with Madeleine?  (Read 47195 times)

Offline slartibartfast

Re: Manhunt by Colin Sutton. Are there comparisons with Madeleine?
« Reply #525 on: January 31, 2019, 08:30:27 AM »
So the British State Pension isn't fit for purpose.  So much for paying for it for all of your working life.

Reading up on other European Pensions it appears most require significant contributions through your working life, hence it is comparing apples and oranges. The British State pension was designed to cover the approx 5 years between retirement and death.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #526 on: January 31, 2019, 08:33:11 AM »
Reading up on other European Pensions it appears most require significant contributions through your working life, hence it is comparing apples and oranges. The British State pension was designed to cover the approx 5 years between retirement and death.

I decided to live a bit longer.  Sorry about that.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #527 on: January 31, 2019, 08:46:28 AM »
I decided to live a bit longer.  Sorry about that.

Glad you did, just pointing out the basis on which the pension was established.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #528 on: January 31, 2019, 08:55:42 AM »
Glad you did, just pointing out the basis on which the pension was established.

Yes, I know.  This fact has long been played down.  It was such an insulting attitude.  Fortunately, the powers that be at the time had no real conception of The War Generation Survivors.  We are tough old cookies.  I shall get my pound of flesh.  It's wot keeps me going.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #529 on: January 31, 2019, 09:02:23 AM »
I got my pension at 60, but worked until I was 70. I think a lot of people are able to do that these days.

Your circumstances may have been different but generally most.people begin their working life.by the time they are twenty, if not even earlier and in my opinion working for forty five years is quite long enough.

I began teaching at nineteen and retired at sixty, having had eight years away while my children were under school age.
I retired at sixty and my position was taken by a young teacher who until then had.had only temporary appointments.

My own feeling is that.if someone has the financial capability to retire, then they should.indeed do so and allow their.job to be.taken by a young person who is seeking employment.
The retired person can always find satisfaction in voluntary work.

This of course would be personal choice, and no one should be forced to retire.

I cannot think of any almost seventy year old Primary teacher having the stamina to continue teaching  infant or junior classes.lol
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #530 on: January 31, 2019, 09:06:51 AM »
Yes, I know.  This fact has long been played down.  It was such an insulting attitude.  Fortunately, the powers that be at the time had no real conception of The War Generation Survivors.  We are tough old cookies.  I shall get my pound of flesh.  It's wot keeps me going.

Quite right.
My father took early retirement at sixty and made full use of his pension for over thirty years.
He definitely got his pound of flesh.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #531 on: January 31, 2019, 09:19:27 AM »
I started work at 15 and stopped working at 75.  I still needed to earn money, and I still needed a new roof, which wasn't going to get paid for out of my Pension.

As it is, The Food Bank here is helping to pay for three new front doors, or will when I have saved enough.

Offline jassi

« Reply #532 on: January 31, 2019, 09:25:49 AM »
Your circumstances may have been different but generally most.people begin their working life.by the time they are twenty, if not even earlier and in my opinion working for forty five years is quite long enough.

I began teaching at nineteen and retired at sixty, having had eight years away while my children were under school age.
I retired at sixty and my position was taken by a young teacher who until then had.had only temporary appointments.

My own feeling is that.if someone has the financial capability to retire, then they should.indeed do so and allow their.job to be.taken by a young person who is seeking employment.

I cannot think of any almost seventy year old Primary teacher having the stamina to continue teaching  infant or junior classes.lol

8((()*/  40 years working in the NHS is more than enough for anyone
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #533 on: January 31, 2019, 09:36:29 AM »
8((()*/  40 years working in the NHS is more than enough for anyone

And should warrant a half decent State Pension.  I was watching a Shelf Stacker in a supermarket yesterday.  What a soul destroying job.
Cleaning other people's lavatories was marginally more interesting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #534 on: January 31, 2019, 09:44:29 AM »
The state pension is not enough to live n but is topped up in the UK by a generous benefit system.... A generous benefit system thst is open to any EU resident who comes to live in the UK... Cameron tried to limit this and got short shrift from the EU.... As I understand  that's one of the points, that tipped him towards, a referendum... We simply couldn't afford to pay benefits to EU citizens.. Some who didn't even live in the country

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #535 on: January 31, 2019, 09:51:36 AM »
The state pension is not enough to live n but is topped up in the UK by a generous benefit system.... A generous benefit system thst is open to any EU resident who comes to live in the UK... Cameron tried to limit this and got short shrift from the EU.... As I understand  that's one of the points, that tipped him towards, a referendum... We simply couldn't afford to pay benefits to EU citizens.. Some who didn't even live in the country

I qualify for No Benefits at all, although I don't have problem with this.  I don't live in Britain.  Thank God.

But I do have a problem with The Winter Fuel Allowance, of which I have been deprived.  It's tropical here according to Osbourne.  Oh Really.  Such perfidy is incomprehensible.

The Winter Fuel Allowance was and is not a Benefit.  It was awarded to all Pensioners to redress the dire amount of Pensions in some small part.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #536 on: January 31, 2019, 09:56:16 AM »
I qualify for No Benefits at all, although I don't have problem with this.  I don't live in Britain.  Thank God.

But I do have a problem with The Winter Fuel Allowance, of which I have been deprived.  It's tropical here according to Osbourne.  Oh Really.  Such perfidy is incomprehensible.

The Winter Fuel Allowance was and is not a Benefit.  It was awarded to all Pensioners to redress the dire amount of Pensions in some small part.

I see no problem paying benefits to British citizens who don't live in this country... I'm talking about paying benefits to EU citizens who have never set foot in this country

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #537 on: January 31, 2019, 10:16:45 AM »

Of course it depends on the job. Mine was suitable, but others aren't. I was taught English Literature at College by a lady of 70 who was a 'supply' lecturer. She loved her subject and still wanted ro share her in-depth knowlege of it.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #538 on: January 31, 2019, 10:21:15 AM »

I remember my boss saying he was embarassed to be getting it as he didn't need it. He moved to a chateau in France when he retired, so I expect he's embarassed no longer lol.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Erngath

« Reply #539 on: January 31, 2019, 10:38:49 AM »
Of course it depends on the job. Mine was suitable, but others aren't. I was taught English Literature at College by a lady of 70 who was a 'supply' lecturer. She loved her subject and still wanted ro share her in-depth knowlege of it.

I can imagine she did.
I'm not sure I would have enjoyed being in charge.of thirty little children, especially PE lessons. @)(++(*