Author Topic: Is the maddie fund.... now a secret fund  (Read 53836 times)

Offline kizzy

Is the maddie fund.... now a secret fund
« on: June 28, 2018, 08:16:43 AM »
What exactly is the Madeleine Fund being used for.

I think the public have a right to know given that the Fund was suppose to be transparent - and open

Has the fund - become a secret fund - if it has why.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 10:26:09 AM by John »

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Is the maddie fund.... now a secret fund
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 10:13:22 AM »

I think the public have a right to know given that the Fund was suppose to be transparent - and open

To stop busy-bodies who don’t like the Mcacanns sticking their beaks in and using the Fund to fuel their obsessions?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 10:16:21 AM by Vertigo Swirl »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 10:27:37 AM »

Ms Esther McVey said: "The McCanns very much know and are aware of how the money had come together. They know it's from pensioners and kids in schools and they want it spent as carefully as possible. Because we're a not-for-profit limited company they are very much aware that we abide by the best practice charity laws."

Statement from Esther McVey:

Madeleine's Fund was set up to: Find Madeleine; support the family and bring the abductor or abductors to justice; and, subject to that, help other missing children.

With the sudden, dramatic, and unexpected turn of events at the weekend, the directors had to consider whether legal defence costs could be paid by the fund.

The board has taken advice from Bates Wells & Braithwaite London LLP and Christopher McCall QC.

The board has been advised that payment of Gerry and Kate's legal defence costs would be legally permissable subject to conditions about repayment in the event of a guilty conviction.

The directors of the fund discussed this today.

The 2 family directors, Brian Kennedy and John McCann, withdrew from the meeting when the decision was made.

I chaired that meeting.

The fund directors realise there is not only a legal answer but recognise too the spirit which underlies the generous donations to Madeleine's Fund, which it's the directors responsibility to steer.

For this reason, the fund directors have decided not to pay for Kate and Gerry's legal defence costs.

How long ago those days seem now when there was a moral dimension to how the fund money was used.
Of course that’s before the parents became directors.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline John

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 10:37:26 AM »

It has become a 'secret' Fund in as much that there is limited transparency as to where monies are going. The promises and pledges of yesteryear appear to have fallen on stoney ground.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 10:40:00 AM »
To stop busy-bodies who don’t like the Mcacanns sticking their beaks in and using the Fund to fuel their obsessions?

Quite possibly VS but shouldn't any private limited company which actively seeks donations from the public be morally obliged to release full and open accounts rather than the absolute bare minimum in order to comply with its legal obligations?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 10:54:51 AM »
Quite possibly VS but shouldn't any private limited company which actively seeks donations from the public be morally obliged to release full and open accounts rather than the absolute bare minimum in order to comply with its legal obligations?
Before I answer I'd like to point out something interesting.  You have answered my post, but then my post has been deleted, presumably by another mod.  The same mod who deletes many of my perfectly acceptable posts, perhaps?

As for your question, I think that the Madeleine Fund, being the target of some very unreasonable people indeed, has every right to protect itself from smears and insinuations, like those that arose when the first set of accounts were published.  The majority of public donations came in that first year anyway, most of the money generated since has been from Kate's book which is slightly different IMO.  The Fund fulfils its legal obligations, beyond that it has no obligations to you or I, IMO.   This is of course all a matter of opinion, and as we know opinions are all equally valid, or equally worthless, depending on your point of view. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline John

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 11:03:30 AM »
Before I answer I'd like to point out something interesting.  You have answered my post, but then my post has been deleted, presumably by another mod.  The same mod who deletes many of my perfectly acceptable posts, perhaps?

As for your question, I think that the Madeleine Fund, being the target of some very unreasonable people indeed, has every right to protect itself from smears and insinuations, like those that arose when the first set of accounts were published.  The majority of public donations came in that first year anyway, most of the money generated since has been from Kate's book which is slightly different IMO.  The Fund fulfils its legal obligations, beyond that it has no obligations to you or I, IMO.   This is of course all a matter of opinion, and as we know opinions are all equally valid, or equally worthless, depending on your point of view.

I have reinstated your post because I believe it to be a valid reason.  By doing so though it has only served to fuel speculation instead of dampen it. I agree that most of the public money was donated in the first few years and that the vast majority of funds generated since have come from book royalties and legal actions against newspapers. Was it right though to combine the two under the same entity?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 11:10:42 AM »
I have reinstated your post because I believe it to be a valid reason.  By doing so though it has only served to fuel speculation instead of dampen it. I agree that most of the public money was donated in the first few years and that the vast majority of funds generated since have come from book royalties and legal actions against newspapers. Was it right though to combine the two under the same entity?
Thanks for reinstating my posts - far too many of my posts are removed for no good reason IMO.  The book was published solely for the reason of raising money for the Madeleine Fund so I believe it was correct to combine earnings from the book with the initial public donations.  Why have two entities, with all the associated costs of managing them?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 11:13:55 AM »

Who has the right to make a decision as to what is wrong and what is right...the only people who seem bothered are those who daily accuse the mccanns of being awful parents ,,,liars ..criminals...why should the mccanns be botherd about what these handful of peopel think. As regards morals...who decides whats morally right...is it morally right to accuse teh mccanns of being liars and criminals with no real evidence to support it

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 11:17:59 AM »
Who has the right to make a decision as to what is wrong and what is right...the only people who seem bothered are those who daily accuse the mccanns of being awful parents ,,,liars ..criminals...why should the mccanns be botherd about what these handful of peopel think. As regards morals...who decides whats morally right...is it morally right to accuse teh mccanns of being liars and criminals with no real evidence to support it
Some people are just deeply and righteously concerned about all the pensioners and little children who have been tossing and turning in their beds every night since 2008 (the last time the accounts were published in full) worrying how their pension and pocket money has been spent in the intervening years.  It must be a worry!

Offline John

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 11:18:36 AM »
Thanks for reinstating my posts - far too many of my posts are removed for no good reason IMO.  The book was published solely for the reason of raising money for the Madeleine Fund so I believe it was correct to combine earnings from the book with the initial public donations. Why have two entities, with all the associated costs of managing them?

The costs are minimal for such a company as are the costs involved in running a website.  My own personal view is that money derived from out of court libel actions should not have been included within the Madeleine Fund and especially so given that this case is far from solved.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 11:19:43 AM »
The costs are minimal for such a company as are the costs involved in running a website.  My own personal view is that money derived from out of court libel actions should not have been included within the Madeleine Fund and especially so given that this case is far from solved.
Where should the money have gone then?  Into the McCanns personal bank accounts?  I personally ;would have no objection to this.

Offline John

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 11:20:10 AM »

I think that particular ship has sailed, reference to the Portuguese Supreme Court edict.

Offline John

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 11:21:14 AM »
Where should the money have gone then?  Into the McCanns personal bank accounts?  I personally ;would have no objection to this.

As the libel action concerned them, then yes.  The Fund was set up to receive public donations and that is how it should have remained IMO.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:40:33 AM by John »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 11:24:46 AM »
I think that particular ship has sailed, reference to the Portuguese Supreme Court edict.

what ship is taht...The SC made no comment on the innocence or guilt of the mcCanns...I think you are mistaken...there is no real evidence against the mccanns ...accrding to the archiving report...according to teh pj

im a little surprised...do some posters think teh SC judhement in someway questions the innocence of the mcCAnns
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:31:48 AM by Davel »