Author Topic: Nine-year-old Portuguese girl Maëlys de Araújo goes missing in Pont-de-Beauvoisin, France.  (Read 25201 times)

Offline misty

Unusually, there is a distinct lack of information about the family in the press which suggests there could be some sort of custody issue.

I have links to the mother & aunts F/B pages if anyone wants them via pm. I'm a little confused right now as to whether Maelys has 1 or 2 sisters - only one older sister was reportedly at the wedding - and also if the parents are still together.

Offline Brietta

Unusually, there is a distinct lack of information about the family in the press which suggests there could be some sort of custody issue.

I have links to the mother & aunts F/B pages if anyone wants them via pm. I'm a little confused right now as to whether Maelys has 1 or 2 sisters - only one older sister was reportedly at the wedding - and also if the parents are still together.

She is Portuguese and it was reported she is a French speaker; something or nothing?  From what you say, Misty, a glimmer of hope there that she may be with family.  Not great, but a great deal better than most of the alternatives.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline misty

A source on twitter has said that Maelys's DNA has been found in the car belonging to one of the released suspects. Vehicle had reportedly been thoroughly cleaned. Test results didn't come back until after his release. The route he took after leaving the wedding has not been established. Suspect is a known cannabis trafficker.

Offline John

Suspect in the abduction of Maëlys de Araújo rearrested.

By Luís Pedro Carvalho
Published 4th Sept 2017   

A suspect in the disappearance of the girl of Portuguese origin, Maëlys de Araújo, was arrested and charged with abduction on Sunday by the French authorities after being arrested and released last week.

According to the Grenoble prosecutor's office, the 34-year-old man was detained again due to the appearance of new evidence, which contradicts the version of the facts originally reported to the authorities.

Presented to the criminal investigating judge this Sunday afternoon, the suspect was confronted with inconsistencies between the testimony and the evidence collected, but again denied having committed the crime.

According to the newspaper "Le Dauphine," police have found traces of the girl's DNA in the suspect's car.

In a statement, the prosecution reveals that the investigating judge was not convinced by the explanations presented and that he decided to accuse the suspect for the kidnapping of the nine-year-old girl.

Maëlys de Araújo, 9, disappeared more than a week ago during a wedding party in Pont-de-Beauvoisin, France. The man detained this Sunday is one of the wedding guests.

http://www.jn.pt/mundo/interior/suspeito-do-rapto-de-maelys-araujo-detido-novamente-8746294.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:19:51 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

The regional police chief, Yves Marzin, said three sniffer dogs had all lost the scent from Maëlys’s cuddly toy at “the same spot” in the car park outside the venue.

“One of the possible theories is that little Maëlys left in a car, one way or another,” Marzin said.

A source close to the investigation said “each passing hour” made kidnapping more likely than the possibility that Maëlys was involved in an accident or ran away.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:40:03 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Brietta

Suspect in the abduction of Maëlys de Araújo rearrested.

By Luís Pedro Carvalho
Published 4th Sept 2017   

A suspect in the disappearance of the girl of Portuguese origin, Maëlys de Araújo, was arrested and charged with abduction on Sunday by the French authorities after being arrested and released last week.

According to the Grenoble prosecutor's office, the 34-year-old man was detained again due to the appearance of new evidence, which contradicts the version of the facts originally reported to the authorities.

Presented to the criminal investigating judge this Sunday afternoon, the suspect was confronted with inconsistencies between the testimony and the evidence collected, but again denied having committed the crime.

According to the newspaper "Le Dauphine," police have found traces of the girl's DNA in the suspect's car.

In a statement, the prosecution reveals that the investigating judge was not convinced by the explanations presented and that he decided to accuse the suspect for the kidnapping of the nine-year-old girl.

Maëlys de Araújo, 9, disappeared more than a week ago during a wedding party in Pont-de-Beauvoisin, France. The man detained this Sunday is one of the wedding guests.

http://www.jn.pt/mundo/interior/suspeito-do-rapto-de-maelys-araujo-detido-novamente-8746294.html

The charges are:  "kidnapping, illegal confinement or arbitrary detention of a minor of less than 15 years."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/maelys-de-araujo-latest-news-france-wedding-kidnapping-missing-arrest-guest-alps-a7927971.html
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Angelo222

The regional police chief, Yves Marzin, said three sniffer dogs had all lost the scent from Maëlys’s cuddly toy at “the same spot” in the car park outside the venue.

“One of the possible theories is that little Maëlys left in a car, one way or another,” Marzin said.

A source close to the investigation said “each passing hour” made kidnapping more likely than the possibility that Maëlys was involved in an accident or ran away.

The same thing happened to Maddie, the sniffer dogs lost her scent at the car park across from mini reception and that is real evidence.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Brietta

The same thing happened to Maddie, the sniffer dogs lost her scent at the car park across from mini reception and that is real evidence.

What is worrying me is Dutroux.  Two of his victims were left to starve when he was in jail ... Maëlys could be in a similar predicament if the guy under arrest has her hidden away and doesn't talk in time.

I wish they could find her.

Offline misty

http://news.sky.com/story/suspect-admits-missing-maelys-de-araujo-9-was-in-his-car-after-dna-found-on-dashboard-11020061

The man charged with kidnapping a nine-year-old French girl has admitted she got into his car - after traces of her DNA were found on the dashboard.

Maelys de Araujo was last seen in the early hours of Sunday 27 August in Pont-de-Beauvoisin, a village about 30 miles north of Grenoble in southeastern France.

Despite a massive search of woodland, caves and rivers, no trace of her has been found and the case continues to dominate headlines in France.

Dogs lost the scent from her cuddly toy at a car park outside the wedding venue, suggesting she may have been driven away.

A 34-year-old man was charged on Sunday with the "kidnapping, illegal confinement or arbitrary detention of a minor of less than 15 years".

The man's lawyer told the AFP news agency his client admitted during police questioning that the girl had got into the car - but that he denied abducting her.

He said the suspect, who has not been named, said Maelys had "got into his car with a little boy, onto the back seat to see if his (the suspect's) dog was in the boot".

The man - a guest at the wedding - was arrested last week, along with a friend, over inconsistencies in his statement, but the pair were later released.

It emerged the suspect washed his car after the wedding, but his lawyer said it was because he wanted to sell it.

The suspect is said to live near Pont-de-Beauvoisin with his parents and his re-arrest came after police discovered new evidence.

"Confronted with testimony, findings and scientific evidence, he persisted in his denials and explanations," the prosecutor's office in Grenoble said on Sunday.

"This did not convince the investigative judges, who decided to hold him."

Maelys was at the wedding with her parents and was wearing a white dress and had a cuddly toy with her.

Police have interviewed about 250 people, including nearly all of the 180 guests at the wedding, as well as people at parties held the same night at a bar and church hall.

Meanwhile, the massive search for the nine-year-old continues.
==================================================================

Sadly this looks like the classic paedophile "would you like to look at/help me find my dog" routine & Maelys won't be found alive. Why, just why, are some minds wired in such a disturbing way?

Offline misty

https://www.thelocal.fr/20170913/search-for-french-girl-missing-from-wedding-to-wind-down

Authorities searching for a nine-year-old girl who went missing from a wedding in the French Alps plan to scale back their efforts, having found no sign of her since her disappearance last month, a source close to the inquiry said Tuesday.
Maelys de Araujo vanished in the early hours of Sunday, August 27, in the southeastern village of Pont-de-Beauvoisin, where she was attending a wedding with her parents.

A 34-year-old local man, who was among the guests, was remanded in custody on September 3 on charges of "kidnapping, illegal confinement or arbitrary detention" after the girl's DNA was found in his car.

But despite an extensive search effort, no sign of her has been found. The suspect has denied any wrongdoing, saying Maelys briefly got into his car with another child and later returned to the wedding party.

Searches of the nearby Chailles gorges in Savoy were ended on Tuesday, the source told AFP, while a search of a nearby lake will continue Wednesday.

"We're exhausting the possible areas where we could have results," the source said, saying searches would now be carried out based on any progress in the investigation.

The disappearance of Maelys caused shock in the tranquil Isere region of mountains, woods and lakes.

Sniffer dogs lost her scent in the car park outside the wedding venue, raising fears she was kidnapped and whisked away by car.

Scores of police search and rescue teams, divers and cavers have combed the area for signs of her, while officers questioned all the wedding guests.

=================================================================

I do hope they don't release the man in custody because of insufficient evidence.

Offline misty

http://portugalresident.com/bizarre-fire-destroys-%E2%80%9Csecondary-evidence%E2%80%9D-in-police-hunt-for-missing-ma%C3%ABlys
Posted by PORTUGALPRESS on September 25, 2017
The baffling case of a missing French-Portuguese child in the French Alps got even stranger last week when the police HQ where all evidence is stored went up in flames.

Over 50 vehicles were targeted by a group of anarchists that has owned up to the fire online, calling it an “act that made up part of a wave of solidarity attacks for people who are facing trials in the next few days”.

Observador website says the group has no connection with the Maëlys’ investigation, and luck would have it that the attack spared the car of the principal suspect in her abduction, who remains in police custody despite his protestations of innocence.

Nonetheless, a certain amount of what French police are calling “secondary evidence” has been destroyed by the fire.

Grenoble prosecutor Jean Yves Coquillat has told France Soir that the amount of evidence is “very small”, and “has no great importance” in the case.

It is now over a month since the nine-year-old girl went missing from a wedding reception that has since been found to have had no less than 1o convicted pedophiles among the guests

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely shocking! I wonder if all the guests were told to keep a close eye on their children?

Offline Brietta

http://portugalresident.com/bizarre-fire-destroys-%E2%80%9Csecondary-evidence%E2%80%9D-in-police-hunt-for-missing-ma%C3%ABlys
Posted by PORTUGALPRESS on September 25, 2017
The baffling case of a missing French-Portuguese child in the French Alps got even stranger last week when the police HQ where all evidence is stored went up in flames.

Over 50 vehicles were targeted by a group of anarchists that has owned up to the fire online, calling it an “act that made up part of a wave of solidarity attacks for people who are facing trials in the next few days”.

Observador website says the group has no connection with the Maëlys’ investigation, and luck would have it that the attack spared the car of the principal suspect in her abduction, who remains in police custody despite his protestations of innocence.

Nonetheless, a certain amount of what French police are calling “secondary evidence” has been destroyed by the fire.

Grenoble prosecutor Jean Yves Coquillat has told France Soir that the amount of evidence is “very small”, and “has no great importance” in the case.

It is now over a month since the nine-year-old girl went missing from a wedding reception that has since been found to have had no less than 1o convicted pedophiles among the guests

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely shocking! I wonder if all the guests were told to keep a close eye on their children?

Unbelievable, Misty.
I wonder how the ratio for the wedding compares to that for convicted paedophiles in a population at large.

Offline misty

Unbelievable, Misty.
I wonder how the ratio for the wedding compares to that for convicted paedophiles in a population at large.

Sad to say, Brietta, I don't know. In the case of William Tyrrell (Australia 2014) it turned out there were 2 convicted paedophiles living on the same street his foster grandmother was living in where he was visiting when he disappeared. The population of the little town of Kendall was under 1000 & there were 20 convicted paedophiles living in the area. Maybe they just gather or are placed in certain quieter locations.

Offline Carana

Unbelievable, Misty.

I haven't been able to verify that.

An article in France Soir claimed this, citing "several" sources (the only named one being... the suspect's brother). The prosecutor wouldn't confirm whether it was true or not.

The register isn't limited to paedophiles: it's a general register for any sexual or other type of violent offence by an adult or youth with a potential sentence of 5 years or more (whether or not the case is being appealed). The name is generally kept on the register for 20-30 years.

http://www.francesoir.fr/societe-faits-divers/disparition-enlevement-maelys-quest-ce-que-le-fijaisv-ce-fichier-sur-lequel-apparaitrait-plusieurs-suspects-violences-agression-sexuelle-pedophile-nordahl-enquete-pont-de-beauvoisin-kidnapping

According to various other articles floating around, the suspect had been involved in some kind of arson incident at some point, but I don't know if that would qualify for the register or not.

Offline Carana

The French media are all over it, as can be expected, but with conflicting "scoops" obtained via "sources".

Social media appear to be torn between support for the family and criticism of the mum for not being there when she disappeared.

Can't think where I've seen that before...

Meanwhile, despite a massive land and waterway search, still no sign of the poor girl.