Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1352886 times)

Offline sadie

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #3690 on: September 19, 2014, 11:30:14 AM »
Back on topic:

I thought that we were told that SY was back in PT this month.

Wonder when it will happen?   Or has something come up that changes that?

Anyone know?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3691 on: September 19, 2014, 11:48:23 AM »
Back on topic:

I thought that we were told that SY was back in PT this month.

Wonder when it will happen?   Or has something come up that changes that?

Anyone know?

No idea, Sadie.
I think it must be due to delays in allowing the letters of request.  Very sad really as one would have hoped this investigation would have been fast tracked since it has been on hold for so long.

Just doesn't seem to be any urgency for a conclusion to be reached in some quarters.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:42:56 PM by John »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

stephen25000

« Reply #3692 on: October 01, 2014, 08:55:02 PM »
Interesting, and from an ex-copper.

'Total actual expenditure on Operation Grange for the period 2011/14 : £7,332,389. With the costs for 2014/15 "expected to be broadly in line with previous years", this will equate to a total spend by April 2015 (excluding pension costs) of circa £9.8 MILLION, courtesy of UK taxpayers.

I have never, either within my personal or professional knowledge, known of such a ludicrously high spend on an as yet undetermined crime, which occurred within a foreign jurisdiction over 7 years ago. Enough IS enough! This farce has to stop NOW!'

What else can you say ? &%+((£
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:43:21 PM by John »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3693 on: October 01, 2014, 11:03:45 PM »
EXCLUSIVE: Ex-soldier claims he saw Madeleine McCann by a Nerja swimming pool

PUBLISHED: October 1, 2014 at 5:14 pm  •  LAST EDITED: October 1, 2014 at 5:21 pm

POLICE are investigating another reported sighting of Madeleine McCann in the Nerja area.

Former prison worker and military man David Fullman (not actual name) spotted a blonde girl speaking Spanish in an English accent at the communal pool at the Tropicana apartment complex in La Herradura and was immediately reminded of Maddie.

After checking the online photo fit he immediately contacted police in the UK.

“A Spanish couple were by the pool with a very Spanish daughter and a blonde, white-skinned girl who looked English and spoke with an English accent,” said Fullman, who was on holiday with his wife at her parents apartment.

“I tried to take a photo but the parents were keeping an eye on me, it was obvious I was watching them so I didn’t want to make a scene or appear to be a pervert.

“She looked like the digital construction, but more like her mother.”

Fullman, currently enrolled in a university degree, added: “I felt like I had to report this, even if it leads to nothing.

Maddie disappeared from her bed in a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal in 2007, while her parents Kate and Gerry ate dinner nearby.

The Olive Press has reported on a string of previous alleged sightings of Maddie in the Axarquia.

British expat Rose Johnson, 70, believes she saw the missing girl playing on Penoncillo beach – between Torrox and Nerja – in the summer of 2011.

While in 2012, Spanish national police investigated a witness’ claim that Maddie had been seen walking in the town accompanied by ‘several people.

Another retired expat, Yvonne Tunnicliffe, claimed to be ‘100% sure’ that she had spotted Maddie at a Mercadona store in Alhaurin el Grande in 2010.
http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2014/10/01/exclusive-ex-soldier-claims-he-saw-madeleine-mccann-by-a-nerja-swimming-pool/
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3694 on: October 01, 2014, 11:18:31 PM »

PUBLISHED: October 1, 2014 at 5:14 pm  •  LAST EDITED: October 1, 2014 at 5:21 pm

POLICE are investigating another reported sighting of Madeleine McCann in the Nerja area.

Former prison worker and military man David Fullman (not actual name) spotted a blonde girl speaking Spanish in an English accent at the communal pool at the Tropicana apartment complex in La Herradura and was immediately reminded of Maddie.

After checking the online photo fit he immediately contacted police in the UK.

“A Spanish couple were by the pool with a very Spanish daughter and a blonde, white-skinned girl who looked English and spoke with an English accent,” said Fullman, who was on holiday with his wife at her parents apartment.

“I tried to take a photo but the parents were keeping an eye on me, it was obvious I was watching them so I didn’t want to make a scene or appear to be a pervert.

“She looked like the digital construction, but more like her mother.”

Fullman, currently enrolled in a university degree, added: “I felt like I had to report this, even if it leads to nothing.

Maddie disappeared from her bed in a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal in 2007, while her parents Kate and Gerry ate dinner nearby.

The Olive Press has reported on a string of previous alleged sightings of Maddie in the Axarquia.

British expat Rose Johnson, 70, believes she saw the missing girl playing on Penoncillo beach – between Torrox and Nerja – in the summer of 2011.

While in 2012, Spanish national police investigated a witness’ claim that Maddie had been seen walking in the town accompanied by ‘several people.

Another retired expat, Yvonne Tunnicliffe, claimed to be ‘100% sure’ that she had spotted Maddie at a Mercadona store in Alhaurin el Grande in 2010.
http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2014/10/01/exclusive-ex-soldier-claims-he-saw-madeleine-mccann-by-a-nerja-swimming-pool/

Interesting. Speaking Spanish with an English accent after 7 years?
It was also reported that during the Nerja carnival Lord Lucan was observed brandishing the World Cup whilst riding Shergar
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #3695 on: October 01, 2014, 11:26:58 PM »
Interesting. Speaking Spanish with an English accent after 7 years?
It was also reported that during the Nerja carnival Lord Lucan was observed brandishing the World Cup whilst riding Shergar

Why in heaven's name is it always British individuals who spot the child ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline sadie

« Reply #3696 on: October 02, 2014, 01:18:41 AM »
Because they are the ones who have taken Madeleine to heart and are still well aware of what she looked like.  Most National from other countries will not remember so much any more, neither will many of them have seen the age progression pictures repeatedly as we have in the UK

Also, she is OUR little missing girl. She is special to peeps from the UK.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3697 on: October 02, 2014, 11:37:16 AM »

If the past is anything to go by these sort of kerfuffles will occur just before something else happens.
Kind of like destroyers laying smoke for the main fleet to hide behind.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline John

« Reply #3698 on: October 02, 2014, 03:12:21 PM »
Reminder:  All posts should relate to the latest news on the search for Madeleine. TY
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Carana

« Reply #3699 on: October 02, 2014, 03:55:14 PM »

Is it?

Offline sadie

« Reply #3700 on: October 02, 2014, 07:54:27 PM »
Is it?
No not always British.

The Smiths and the Mccluskys off the top of my head.  Belgians, several of them.  Clara Torres, spanish,  Several Portuguese and at least a couple of Moroccans.   A number of sightings in Malta,, so I guess some Maltese.

More Brits pro rata but then she is OUR little girl and OUR TV has probably shown far more pictures of her and over a much longer period.  So little wonder more Brits.

Offline Anna

« Reply #3701 on: October 02, 2014, 08:01:15 PM »
No not always British.

The Smiths and the Mccluskys off the top of my head.  Belgians, several of them.  Clara Torres, spanish,  Several Portuguese and at least a couple of Moroccans.   A number of sightings in Malta,, so I guess some Maltese.

More Brits pro rata but then she is OUR little girl and OUR TV has probably shown far more pictures of her and over a much longer period.  So little wonder more Brits.

and lots in spain, where the recent sighting was in the news here earlier.
other things that came up a lot in sightings, were a dark Bmw type car, white van, dark skinned man, couple of which the female was blonde and 3 females. I
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline sadie

« Reply #3702 on: October 02, 2014, 09:11:14 PM »
and lots in spain, where the recent sighting was in the news here earlier.
other things that came up a lot in sightings, were a dark Bmw type car, white van, dark skinned man, couple of which the female was blonde and 3 females. I

A dark BMW car?  How interesting.  Thanks Anna.  White vans have a significance to me too, but unfortunately they are ten a penny.

Yep a number in Spain.  I forgot them, thanks.

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #3703 on: October 03, 2014, 01:51:33 AM »
Article by Gerry McCann in the guardian today:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/02/leveson-gerry-mccann-media-stories-before-truth

Leveson has changed nothing– the media still put ‘stories’ before the truth

As I know from experience, if papers tell lies about you, they’ll be able to get away with it pretty much scot free.
The public backs change – and editors must act.

Kate and Gerry McCann talking to the press earlier this year during a libel case against a
former Portuguese police officer. ‘Newspapers treat the people they write about as if they
don’t exist. Wild animals are given more respect.’ Photograph: Mario Cruz/EPA

Nearly three years ago my wife, Kate, and I appeared before the Leveson inquiry to talk about the campaign of lies that was waged against us after our daughter Madeleine went missing. We described how our lives had been turned into a soap opera so that newspapers could make money, with no regard for truth, for the distress they were inflicting, or for the damage caused to the search for Madeleine. We asked Lord Justice Leveson to ensure that in future things would be different and that nobody would ever again have to endure the dishonest reporting we experienced, or at least that there would be some quick, effective way of correcting false reports in newspapers.

Nothing has changed since then. Big newspaper companies continue to put sales and profit before truth. The protection for ordinary people is as feeble as it always was.

A year ago, when Kate and I were experiencing a time of renewed hope as the Metropolitan police stepped up its new investigation into Madeleine’s disappearance, we received an email late on a Thursday night from the Sunday Times. Its reporter asked us to comment on information he planned to publish. This turned out to be a claim that for five years Kate, I and the directors of Madeleine’s Fund withheld crucial evidence about Madeleine’s disappearance. We rushed to meet his deadline for a response. In the vain hope that the Sunday Times would not publish such a clearly damaging and untrue story, we sent a statement to the newspaper. We denied the main tenet of the story and emphasised that since Madeleine’s disappearance we had fully cooperated with the police and that the directors of Madeleine’s Fund had always acted in her best interest.

However, the Sunday Times went ahead and published the report on its front page, largely ignoring our statement. We tried to settle this matter quickly and without legal action. I wrote to the editor asking for a correction, but all we got in response was an offer to publish a “clarification” and tweak a few lines of the article – but still to continue to publish it on the newspaper’s website. Indeed, further correspondence from the paper only aggravated the distress the original article had caused, created a huge volume of work and forced us to issue a formal complaint to get redress through our lawyers.

Eventually, two months after the article was published, a correction was printed, retracting all the allegations and apologising. But even then – and despite the grotesque nature of what it had falsely alleged on its front page – the apology was on an inside page and the word “apology” was absent from the headline. Since then, it has taken 11 months and the filing of a legal claim to get the Sunday Times to agree to damages, all of which we are donating to charity, and to get our right to tell the public that we had won the case. But the cost to the paper is peanuts – the fee for a single advertisement will probably cover it. And there will be no consequences for anyone working there.

Nothing will be done to ensure that in future reporters and editors try harder to get things right. And so the same people will do something similar, soon, to some other unfortunate family – who will probably not have our hard-earned experience of dealing with these things and who will probably never succeed in getting a correction or an apology.

So what has changed in the newspaper industry since the Leveson report two years ago? Absolutely nothing. Newspapers continue to put “stories” before the truth, and without much care for the victims.

They treat the people they write about as if they don’t exist. Wild animals are given more respect. They hide behind talk about the rights of the press while they routinely trash the rights of ordinary people. They constantly claim to stand up to the powerful, but they are the ones with the power, and they use it ruthlessly.

Legal action should be a last resort. A final route when all else has failed. I don’t blame Leveson. He recommended changes that would make a big difference. He wanted a press self-regulator that was not controlled by the big newspaper companies and that had real clout. If a paper told lies about you, you could go to this body and count on fast and fair treatment: it would not just let papers off the hook. More than that, Leveson wanted a cheap, quick arbitration service so that ordinary people did not need to resort to the law. Our experience shows this is a vital reform.

Parliament backed Leveson’s plan. The public backs it. So do we, and almost all the other victims who gave evidence to Leveson. Only one group of people is opposing this change – the perpetrators themselves, the same editors and newspaper owners who were responsible for all that cruelty. Instead of accepting the Leveson plan, these people, including the owner of the Sunday Times, have set up another sham regulator called Ipso, which is designed to do their bidding just like the old, disgraced Press Complaints Commission.

If in another year’s time the press still rejects the royal charter – itself already a compromise – then it will be time for parliament to deliver on the promises the party leaders made, and ensure that what Leveson recommended is actually delivered. Otherwise elements of the press will go on treating people with total contempt. This time, once again, it was Kate and I who were the targets. Next time it could be you.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/02/leveson-gerry-mccann-media-stories-before-truth
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:35:14 AM by John »

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #3704 on: October 11, 2014, 12:29:22 AM »
just hope they find answers whatever they may be... as much as i'm intrigued by the case and reports surrounding it the best outcome would be them finding her alive... but if they even do could be a tragic tale... so sad... that said why so much resources on this case and not others? The parents tenacity maybe...