Author Topic: Podcasts by Mark Saunokonoko of 9News.  (Read 509462 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Podcasts by Mark Saunokonoko of 9News.
« Reply #1125 on: April 16, 2019, 02:27:06 PM »
I think you are in denial

Do you? The McCanns, and later their friends, accused various newspapers of libel. Was this ever confirmed by a judicial ruling or did the newspapers offer to settle before things got that far?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1126 on: April 16, 2019, 02:30:40 PM »
Do you? The McCanns, and later their friends, accused various newspapers of libel. Was this ever confirmed by a judicial ruling or did the newspapers offer to settle before things got that far?

I don't think it needs to be confirmed.  It's patently obvious given the definition of libel in the UK.... Why has no publisher published amarals book in the UK... Because based on UK law it's libellous... Why are libellous posts, removed here... Because it's clear in the UK what is, deemed libellous

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1127 on: April 16, 2019, 02:56:39 PM »
I don't think it needs to be confirmed.  It's patently obvious given the definition of libel in the UK.... Why has no publisher published amarals book in the UK... Because based on UK law it's libellous... Why are libellous posts, removed here... Because it's clear in the UK what is, deemed libellous

Nevertheless it wasn't judicially confirmed so it remains opinion. In my opinion the newspapers also libelled Goncalo Amaral.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1128 on: April 16, 2019, 03:17:35 PM »
Nevertheless it wasn't judicially confirmed so it remains opinion. In my opinion the newspapers also libelled Goncalo Amaral.

If it was judiclially confirmed it would still be opinion... The judges opinion..... IMO.... The UK papers did not libel amaral as they could prove what they said

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #1129 on: April 16, 2019, 04:36:28 PM »
It wasn't decided in court, if course, so it's a fact only in so far as it was mutually agreed.

Indeed G... it never went to court to be properly challenged. So we don't really know, and it scared the rest of the media from challenging Tapas claims about that night. Nice move. Attack is the first line of defence as they say.

I will say, I thought the behaviour of ALL the media in both courties behaved shamefully toward the McCanns  and Amaral in the beginning. all that petty name calling was disgraceful. AND unhelpful for the real victim - MBM.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1130 on: April 16, 2019, 06:38:55 PM »
The media haven't challenged the McCann's since the large payouts to them and their friends in my opinion.
The media is able to challenge without breaking any laws is it not?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1131 on: April 16, 2019, 06:49:49 PM »
Ask searching questions and proposing various theories.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1132 on: April 16, 2019, 06:50:33 PM »

Yes.  But they just get clobbered for more money when they lose.  Which they would have done.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1133 on: April 16, 2019, 06:59:36 PM »
Yes.  But they just get clobbered for more money when they lose.  Which they would have done.
As I understand it the papers circulation went up everytime they were able to put Madeleine's photo on the front page.  I have a hunch the papers still made more money out of Madeleine than they paid out in the out of court settlements with the McCanns and the friends.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1134 on: April 16, 2019, 07:03:19 PM »
As I understand it the papers circulation went up everytime they were able to put Madeleine's photo on the front page.  I have a hunch the papers still made more money out of Madeleine than they paid out in the out of court settlements with the McCanns and the friends.

Sadly, you are probably right.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1135 on: April 16, 2019, 07:07:56 PM »
Sadly, you are probably right.
https://omny.fm/shows/maddie/a-door-marked-closed at 34:20 or thereabouts Mark covers the story about Lord Tim Bell.

At 36:20 into the podcast Mark discusses the payout to the Tapas 9.

At 38:15 he starts talking about Clarence Mitchell.

At 40:00 mark introduces the cadaver dog searches.

At 43:00 he talks about the Supreme Court decision.  ****
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 07:24:03 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1136 on: April 16, 2019, 07:58:34 PM »
https://omny.fm/shows/maddie  for the full list of podcasts.
Moderation

Offline barrier

« Reply #1137 on: April 19, 2019, 05:47:27 PM »
Not a pod but a piece by Mark Saunokonoko

https://www.9news.com.au/world/madeleine-mccann-goncalo-amaral-book-truth-of-lie-maddie-podcast/e113530d-9a7e-4b7d-a29b-3fa4688d4f7a

Legal and media 'machine' hit Portuguese detective who led Maddie case

By Mark Saunokonoko
10:57am Apr 19, 2019

A powerful "machine" set out to "harm" a Portuguese detective after he wrote a book theorising Madeleine McCann may have died in the family holiday apartment, according to the literary agent who published the retired police officer's best-seller.

In 2008 Goncalo Amaral released The Truth of the Lie, documenting his five months leading the police investigation into Madeleine McCann's disappearance. The controversial book triggered a protracted and bitter legal battle with Kate and Gerry McCann.

The 22-chapter book suggested a theory that Madeleine had died in apartment 5A, an abduction had been simulated and the three-year-old's body was somehow removed from the resort.

In episode eight of Maddie, Nine.com.au's podcast investigation into Madeleine's disappearance, Manuel S. Fonseca of Lisbon-based publisher Guerra & Paz, revealed why his company stood behind Mr Amaral, despite intense criticism of the book from Mr and Mrs McCann and sections of the UK media.

Following court action in 2009, The Truth of the Lie was banned and the McCanns successfully sued Mr Amaral for 500,000 euros. But those judgements were later thrown out by Portugal's highest court.

"There was a machine against [Mr Amaral] and that machine did anything it could to cause him harm, in his personal and professional life," Fonseca told Nine.com.au in a statement.

"I salute my author for his strength in defending his professional integrity and his freedom of speech, as they are stated in the Portuguese Constitution.
"I am a publisher and it is for me a matter of principle not to ban books," Mr Fonseca added.

Mr Amaral's book had detailed various lines of inquiry the Portuguese police had investigated after Maddie vanished. Some Portuguese police appeared to doubt an abduction had occurred, and there were questions over some of the witness statements and timelines that were given to police.
Five months after Madeleine disappearance, Mr Amaral was removed from the investigation following criticism of British police in an interview he gave to a newspaper at the time.
Mr and Mrs McCann said they left Madeleine and their two other children alone while they ate dinner at a nearby restaurant with a group of friends, who became known as the Tapas 7.
They believed an intruder had been watching their apartment and struck while they were out, taking Madeleine from her bed.
Mr and Mrs McCann, both doctors from Rothley, Leicestershire, have strenuously denied they were involved in the disappearance of their daughter. Nine.com.au does not suggest any involvement on their part.

Mr Amaral's book was banned for six years, until the judgment in favour of the McCanns was challenged and overturned. At the time, Mr Amaral had said the ban on his book was "unconstitutional" and flew in the face of Portuguese democracy.

In an earlier episode of Maddie, Nine.com.au obtained and aired never-before-heard audio from the libel trial against Mr Amaral. In that audio, Mr and Mrs McCann can be heard explaining how the publication of the book had caused their family great pain and distress. They said it had detracted from the ongoing search for Madeleine.
Although the book was never published in English, during the trial the McCanns pointed out that English translations of the book were available on the internet and they were concerned at the impact it would have on their twins, Sean and Amelie, as they grew older.
Initially the McCanns were seeking 1.2 million euros in damages from Mr Amaral.
The legal battle against the McCanns and his castigation by British tabloids took a heavy toll on Mr Amaral financially, professionally personally, according to the publisher.
Mr and Mrs McCann later took their case to Portugal's highest court, the Supreme Court, in a bid to have the book ban and libel damages reinstated. But in 2017 the Supreme Court ruled in Mr Amaral's favour.

"The Supreme Court decision unequivocally says that Gonçalo Amaral's book, contrary to what Gerald and Kate McCann alleged, doesn't affect the couple's right to privacy, or even their legitimate right to image and good name, since the facts exposed in the book were all public and known all over the world and they were first in the public police report before Amaral wrote his book," Fonseca told Nine.com.au.

Mr and Mrs McCann have currently lodged a case with the European Court of Human Rights, though that legal battle is against Portugal the sovereign state, rather than Mr Amaral. The McCanns' legal team will try and prove that Portugal has breached one or more of their human rights.
Madeleine was just days away from her fourth birthday when she mysteriously vanished.
Neither Portuguese police or Scotland Yard have made any arrests in the case which has baffled investigators since May 2007.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #1138 on: April 20, 2019, 12:52:11 PM »

https://www.9news.com.au/world/madeleine-mccann-goncalo-amaral-book-truth-of-lie-maddie-podcast/e113530d-9a7e-4b7d-a29b-3fa4688d4f7a

By Mark Saunokonoko

A powerful "machine" set out to "harm" a Portuguese detective after he wrote a book theorising Madeleine McCann may have died in the family holiday apartment, according to the literary agent who published the retired police officer's best-seller.

In 2008 Goncalo Amaral released The Truth of the Lie, documenting his five months leading the police investigation into Madeleine McCann's disappearance. The controversial book triggered a protracted and bitter legal battle with Kate and Gerry McCann.

The 22-chapter book suggested a theory that Madeleine had died in apartment 5A, an abduction had been simulated and the three-year-old's body was somehow removed from the resort.

In episode eight of Maddie, Nine.com.au's podcast investigation into Madeleine's disappearance, Manuel S. Fonseca of Lisbon-based publisher Guerra & Paz, revealed why his company stood behind Mr Amaral, despite intense criticism of the book from Mr and Mrs McCann and sections of the UK media.

Following court action in 2009, The Truth of the Lie was banned and the McCanns successfully sued Mr Amaral for 500,000 euros. But those judgements were later thrown out by Portugal's highest court.

"There was a machine against [Mr Amaral] and that machine did anything it could to cause him harm, in his personal and professional life," Fonseca told Nine.com.au in a statement.

"I salute my author for his strength in defending his professional integrity and his freedom of speech, as they are stated in the Portuguese Constitution.
"I am a publisher and it is for me a matter of principle not to ban books," Mr Fonseca added.

Mr Amaral's book had detailed various lines of inquiry the Portuguese police had investigated after Maddie vanished. Some Portuguese police appeared to doubt an abduction had occurred, and there were questions over some of the witness statements and timelines that were given to police.
Five months after Madeleine disappearance, Mr Amaral was removed from the investigation following criticism of British police in an interview he gave to a newspaper at the time.
Mr and Mrs McCann said they left Madeleine and their two other children alone while they ate dinner at a nearby restaurant with a group of friends, who became known as the Tapas 7.
They believed an intruder had been watching their apartment and struck while they were out, taking Madeleine from her bed.
Mr and Mrs McCann, both doctors from Rothley, Leicestershire, have strenuously denied they were involved in the disappearance of their daughter. Nine.com.au does not suggest any involvement on their part.

Mr Amaral's book was banned for six years, until the judgment in favour of the McCanns was challenged and overturned. At the time, Mr Amaral had said the ban on his book was "unconstitutional" and flew in the face of Portuguese democracy.

In an earlier episode of Maddie, Nine.com.au obtained and aired never-before-heard audio from the libel trial against Mr Amaral. In that audio, Mr and Mrs McCann can be heard explaining how the publication of the book had caused their family great pain and distress. They said it had detracted from the ongoing search for Madeleine.
Although the book was never published in English, during the trial the McCanns pointed out that English translations of the book were available on the internet and they were concerned at the impact it would have on their twins, Sean and Amelie, as they grew older.
Initially the McCanns were seeking 1.2 million euros in damages from Mr Amaral.
The legal battle against the McCanns and his castigation by British tabloids took a heavy toll on Mr Amaral financially, professionally personally, according to the publisher.
Mr and Mrs McCann later took their case to Portugal's highest court, the Supreme Court, in a bid to have the book ban and libel damages reinstated. But in 2017 the Supreme Court ruled in Mr Amaral's favour.

"The Supreme Court decision unequivocally says that Gonçalo Amaral's book, contrary to what Gerald and Kate McCann alleged, doesn't affect the couple's right to privacy, or even their legitimate right to image and good name, since the facts exposed in the book were all public and known all over the world and they were first in the public police report before Amaral wrote his book," Fonseca told Nine.com.au.

Mr and Mrs McCann have currently lodged a case with the European Court of Human Rights, though that legal battle is against Portugal the sovereign state, rather than Mr Amaral. The McCanns' legal team will try and prove that Portugal has breached one or more of their human rights.
Madeleine was just days away from her fourth birthday when she mysteriously vanished.
Neither Portuguese police or Scotland Yard have made any arrests in the case which has baffled investigators since May 2007.

He does come across as someone who is unbiased. which is refreshing.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1139 on: April 20, 2019, 12:57:26 PM »

By Mark Saunokonoko

I think it would tend to indicate which side of the bed he is lying on.  Must be getting desperate that the pod casts don't seem to be having the desired effect.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....