Author Topic: "Blood Relations"...  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Myster

"Blood Relations"...
« on: June 25, 2020, 06:20:58 PM »
For those who haven't read Roger Wilkes' original book... some preamble and parts of the first two chapters of the republished edition here...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=RSbCDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT7&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline APRIL

Re: "Blood Relations"...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 08:03:12 PM »
For those who haven't read Roger Wilkes' original book... some preamble and parts of the first two chapters of the republished edition here...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=RSbCDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT7&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thanks for that, Myster. It was an enjoyable read. It verified that Jeremy 'lead' the action outside WHF, however it was full of literary licence, and read rather like a novel.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 08:25:55 PM by APRIL »

Offline Myster

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 08:21:51 PM »

Thanks for that, Myster.
I thought you'd read the whole book in the dim and distant past.  Unlike the other one, I didn't scan it because it was twice as long and there was always a constant s/h supply going for a song on ebay.
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline APRIL

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 08:35:20 PM »
I thought you'd read the whole book in the dim and distant past.  Unlike the other one, I didn't scan it because it was twice as long and there was always a constant s/h supply going for a song on ebay.

No. I read Colin's book back in the early 90's and I've read CAL's. In between 4years ago?- I was loaned one, but not for the life of me can I recall who wrote it. The guy who owed it is a film maker and it was a project he was interested in but he got involved with "GoT"? and others got the credit for WHF. Trouble is, when the story is known from the start it becomes a bit of a blur.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 04:39:09 AM »

No. I read Colin's book back in the early 90's and I've read CAL's. In between 4years ago?- I was loaned one, but not for the life of me can I recall who wrote it. The guy who owed it is a film maker and it was a project he was interested in but he got involved with "GoT"? and others got the credit for WHF. Trouble is, when the story is known from the start it becomes a bit of a blur.
It is the finer points you need to look for.  I agree 90% of the text will be the same between the books but the detail explored by the authors that made them think there was a need for a new book, that is what you need to look for.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline APRIL

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 10:01:36 AM »
It is the finer points you need to look for.  I agree 90% of the text will be the same between the books but the detail explored by the authors that made them think there was a need for a new book, that is what you need to look for.

Unfortunately, it's often the need to include finer points which sends some authors into the realms of novelesque fiction. How, then, does the newly interested reader, sort out the truth?

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 10:29:36 AM »

Unfortunately, it's often the need to include finer points which sends some authors into the realms of novelesque fiction. How, then, does the newly interested reader, sort out the truth?

How indeed !

I've now read four books: Wilkes, CAL, Colin and Scott Lomax.  All very interesting, all have made me think, and I suspect that's the best I can hope for.

Now reading witness statements too !

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 11:24:08 AM »

I've heard that there are some 300,000 documents associated with this case.  Even if you were to spend 1 minute reading each of them maybe it would take more than a lifetime to get to the end.  And think of the problem of cross-referencing all that information.  It is virtually impossible IMO.  Very scary to have to attempt it. 

So if we read a book on the case some will believe what is written others won't and finding out the facts is impossible.    It was a silly thing to even get involved with this case! 
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline APRIL

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 11:40:17 AM »
I've heard that there are some 300,000 documents associated with this case.  Even if you were to spend 1 minute reading each of them maybe it would take more than a lifetime to get to the end.  And think of the problem of cross-referencing all that information.  It is virtually impossible IMO.  Very scary to have to attempt it. 

So if we read a book on the case some will believe what is written others won't and finding out the facts is impossible.    It was a silly thing to even get involved with this case!

Aww! After all that hard work you've put in, Robittybobittybooboobear!!! Still, we all have a choice, and for every choice there's an alternative. Hope that helps.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 12:07:56 PM »

I've stuck on the periphery of it all Rob, being quite content just to follow the posts on here some of which are very knowledgeable and I have no doubts about their veracity.
I think you may have got sidetracked at times reading sources which you can't say that about.

I think you've gone full circle in exploring as many of the probabilities as you could and the folk who know what they are talking about have filled in the gaps for you.  You really do have an analytical brain ... it just depends what you are analysing and now you've started on the Bamber case I don't see you finishing..

I intend to catch up with my reading on this in the future just for interest sake and I will have this one on my list and Cal's.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 12:19:35 PM »
I should do that too.  Read some books on the case. 
Moderation

Offline APRIL

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 12:53:54 PM »
I should do that too.  Read some books on the case.

The more you gen up on the known facts, the less likely it will be that you'll stray into realms of what ifs and supposings.....................mind you, it might not be as interesting!!!!