Author Topic: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?  (Read 111177 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?
« Reply #225 on: March 29, 2020, 04:48:12 PM »
Richard horton is one of the govt biggest expert critics...you may have seen him on question time this week. what you probably didnt see was a tweet he made on 24th  Jan ....compared to other countries Boris seems to be doing a good job....as a corbyn supporter its not surprising that really annoys you.

richard horton
@richardhorton1
·
24 Jan
A call for caution please. Media are escalating anxiety by talking of a “killer virus” + “growing fears”. In truth, from what we currently know, 2019-nCoV has moderate transmissibility and relatively low pathogenicity. There is no reason to foster panic with exaggerated language.

Thank you Davel, VS has already posted the tweet.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #226 on: March 29, 2020, 05:02:58 PM »
The WHO are firm that what governments should be doing now is testing, testing, testing. Our government has failed to supply tests to essential healthcare workers never mind the general public. Your thoughts ?
I believe the government is in the process of addressing that failure, which demonstrates that they are heeding WHO advice, for which I am thankful.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #227 on: March 29, 2020, 05:16:28 PM »
I believe the government is in the process of addressing that failure, which demonstrates that they are heeding WHO advice, for which I am thankful.

Are they ? When ? Why wasn’t it done sooner ?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:23:56 PM by Faithlilly »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #228 on: March 29, 2020, 06:30:22 PM »
Are they ? When ? Why wasn’t it done sooner ?
3.5 million tests already purchased, to be rolled out when they have been deemed completely reliable
https://www.mobihealthnews.com/news/europe/covid-19-home-testing-kit-could-soon-be-available-purchase-uk

Why wasn’t it done sooner?  I don’t know (I don’t know what advice the government was given on testing a few weeks ago), but something tells me you do, and probably involves words like “moronic” “incompetents” and choice epithets.
Incidentally Jenny Harries the deputy Chief Medical Officer  informed us today that the NHS had ”plenty of capacity” so that’s good news isn’t it?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #229 on: March 29, 2020, 07:49:02 PM »
3.5 million tests already purchased, to be rolled out when they have been deemed completely reliable
https://www.mobihealthnews.com/news/europe/covid-19-home-testing-kit-could-soon-be-available-purchase-uk

Why wasn’t it done sooner?  I don’t know (I don’t know what advice the government was given on testing a few weeks ago), but something tells me you do, and probably involves words like “moronic” “incompetents” and choice epithets.
Incidentally Jenny Harries the deputy Chief Medical Officer  informed us today that the NHS had ”plenty of capacity” so that’s good news isn’t it?

That’s fantastic news. Let’s hope it’s not more false hope like the PPE that we were told two weeks ago was being supplied to healthcare workers but hasn’t yet arrived.

You don’t know what advice the government was given ? You mean they weren’t following the extremely clear advice from the WHO ? Why are many countries testing and tracking in much larger numbers than us ?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #230 on: March 29, 2020, 10:29:41 PM »
That’s fantastic news. Let’s hope it’s not more false hope like the PPE that we were told two weeks ago was being supplied to healthcare workers but hasn’t yet arrived.

You don’t know what advice the government was given ? You mean they weren’t following the extremely clear advice from the WHO ? Why are many countries testing and tracking in much larger numbers than us ?
The government have been taking advice from their chief medical advisers haven’t they?  Some countries are ahead of others on testing that’s true, were Italy, Spain, France, Switzerland and the Netherlands among them?  If not then did they ignore the clear advice from the WHO too? 

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #231 on: March 29, 2020, 10:38:51 PM »
Here you go, this explains it https://www.ft.com/content/fa747fbd-c19e-4bac-9c37-d46afc9393fb
Obviously lessons need to be learned, but when advice is conflicting it puts the decision makers in an unenviable position.  Mistakes will invariably be made.  Let’s hope testing is ramped up in earnest now.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #232 on: March 30, 2020, 12:08:03 AM »
The government have been taking advice from their chief medical advisers haven’t they?  Some countries are ahead of others on testing that’s true, were Italy, Spain, France, Switzerland and the Netherlands among them?  If not then did they ignore the clear advice from the WHO too?

Don’t you hate whataboutery ?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #233 on: March 30, 2020, 12:16:36 AM »
Here you go, this explains it https://www.ft.com/content/fa747fbd-c19e-4bac-9c37-d46afc9393fb
Obviously lessons need to be learned, but when advice is conflicting it puts the decision makers in an unenviable position.  Mistakes will invariably be made.  Let’s hope testing is ramped up in earnest now.

It does explain it and certainly makes the government look no more competent or transparent than before you posted it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:48:50 AM by Faithlilly »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #234 on: March 30, 2020, 07:18:18 AM »
Don’t you hate whataboutery ?
Yes and that is why in my next post I linked to a article which gave answers to your questions that I couldn’t. 

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #235 on: March 30, 2020, 07:28:25 AM »
It does explain it and certainly makes the government look no more competent or transparent than before you posted it.
Point me to any government worldwide that hasn’t made mistakes in its handling of this crisis- it’s unchartered territory and only to be expected, that doesn’t mean to say I am required to pour contempt and bile on our government in the way you have, or to ramp up the hysteria by adding my own gleeful negativity to the online chatter.  I guess I am just a bit more empathetic, understanding and mature than you in that I don’t expect perfection, or that every decision taken along the way will be the right one.  What matters is that at the end of the day is that the vast majority of us come out of this relatively unscathed, with the virus under control, jobs and livlihoods to go back to etc. We will all have learned so much from this, including the Nasty Party, so let’s hope that the next time something like this comes round we will be far better prepared and know exactly what needs to be done.   

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #236 on: March 30, 2020, 01:44:02 PM »
Yes and that is why in my next post I linked to a article which gave answers to your questions that I couldn’t.

But it’s still whataboutery which you hate.

Offline faithlilly

Re: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Dange
« Reply #237 on: March 30, 2020, 02:15:04 PM »
Point me to any government worldwide that hasn’t made mistakes in its handling of this crisis- it’s unchartered territory and only to be expected, that doesn’t mean to say I am required to pour contempt and bile on our government in the way you have, or to ramp up the hysteria by adding my own gleeful negativity to the online chatter.  I guess I am just a bit more empathetic, understanding and mature than you in that I don’t expect perfection, or that every decision taken along the way will be the right one.  What matters is that at the end of the day is that the vast majority of us come out of this relatively unscathed, with the virus under control, jobs and livlihoods to go back to etc. We will all have learned so much from this, including the Nasty Party, so let’s hope that the next time something like this comes round we will be far better prepared and know exactly what needs to be done.

‘Benign neglect’ I think that about sums it up.

I don’t think your attitude has anything to do with empathy, understanding or maturity just simply that this pandemic has hardly touched you yet. You have posted that you have savings to tide you over until June, when your payment from the government is due to pop on the mat. Many, many self-employed people aren’t quite as lucky as you and due to the government’s woefully slow response to self-employed people’s worries will be facing weeks and weeks of not being able to feed their families or pay their rent. The lack of equipment hasn’t touched you because your aren’t ill yet or have loved ones whose lives depend on the equipment not being provided., whether it’s ventilators or PPE.

You are Johnson’s dream constituent...he gives you gruel, tells you it’s the finest caviar and the others are too unsophisticated to know the difference and you gobble it all up.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 02:18:49 PM by Faithlilly »

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Dange
« Reply #238 on: March 30, 2020, 02:28:16 PM »
‘Benign neglect’ I think that about sums it up.

I don’t think your attitude has anything to do with empathy, understanding or maturity just simply that this pandemic has hardly touched you yet. You have posted that you have savings to tide you over until June, when your payment from the government is due to pop on the mat. Many, many self-employed people aren’t quite as lucky as you and due to the government’s woefully slow response to self-employed people’s worries will be facing weeks and weeks of not being able to feed their families or pay their rent. The lack of equipment hasn’t touched you because your aren’t ill yet or have loved ones whose lives depend on the equipment not being provided., whether it’s ventilators or PPE.

You are Johnson’s dream constituent...he gives you gruel, tells you it’s the finest caviar and the others are too unsophisticated to know the difference and you gobble it all up.
Your unfathomably rude aren’t you?  You know nothing about my circumstances you presumptuous hussy. 

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #239 on: March 30, 2020, 02:46:37 PM »
Some good news...?

“Britain’s coronavirus outbreak may be starting to slow with almost two million people infected, according to the scientist guiding the government’s response.

Professor Neil Ferguson of Imperial College London said he was being given NHS data that showed a slowing in new hospital admissions as social distancing measures imposed in recent weeks start to have an effect”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/new-hospital-admissions-for-coronavirus-slowing-says-scientist-guiding-government-xhbxdb0qr