Author Topic: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?  (Read 111181 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?
« Reply #810 on: May 21, 2020, 10:45:37 AM »
why not just give everyone  a million pounds...cheer everyone up. Do these people have to pay for visa too...scrap that as well.

They pay their taxes so should be entitled to the benefits that brings.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #811 on: May 21, 2020, 11:35:00 AM »
They pay their taxes so should be entitled to the benefits that brings.

in your opinion

Offline Carana

« Reply #812 on: May 21, 2020, 11:44:27 AM »
is this a one off charge that they may have paid a couple of years ago......i think any future charges should be scrappped..and is this to apply solely to healthcare workers

I've found this:

You pay National Insurance contributions to qualify for certain benefits and the State Pension.

You pay mandatory National Insurance if you’re 16 or over and are either:

an employee earning above £183 a week
    self-employed and making a profit of £6,475 or more a year

You may be able to pay voluntary contributions to avoid gaps in your NI contributions.

You need a National Insurance number before you can start paying National Insurance contributions.

If you earn between £120 and £183 a week, your contributions are treated as having been paid to protect your National Insurance record.

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/migrants/national-insurance-migrants/what-if-i-come-country-no-social-security

and

Check an employee’s right to work in the UK

You must check a person has the legal right to work in the UK before they start working for you.
Paying tax and National Insurance contributions

You must operate PAYE tax and National Insurance contributions for employees coming to work in the UK from abroad, whether they’re working for you on a temporary or permanent basis.

If the employee is still employed by an overseas business and you do not actually pay them, you’re still treated as their employer and are responsible for recording and reporting their earnings and PAYE deductions to HMRC. These are called ‘seconded employees’.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-employee-coming-to-work-from-abroad#paying-tax-and-national-insurance-contributions

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #813 on: May 21, 2020, 01:13:29 PM »
in your opinion

Then if your opinion differs, why ? Why do you think that if people pay their taxes in this country they are not entitled to the benefits that brings ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #814 on: May 21, 2020, 01:15:37 PM »
I've found this:

You pay National Insurance contributions to qualify for certain benefits and the State Pension.

You pay mandatory National Insurance if you’re 16 or over and are either:

an employee earning above £183 a week
    self-employed and making a profit of £6,475 or more a year

You may be able to pay voluntary contributions to avoid gaps in your NI contributions.

You need a National Insurance number before you can start paying National Insurance contributions.

If you earn between £120 and £183 a week, your contributions are treated as having been paid to protect your National Insurance record.

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/migrants/national-insurance-migrants/what-if-i-come-country-no-social-security

and

Check an employee’s right to work in the UK

You must check a person has the legal right to work in the UK before they start working for you.
Paying tax and National Insurance contributions

You must operate PAYE tax and National Insurance contributions for employees coming to work in the UK from abroad, whether they’re working for you on a temporary or permanent basis.

If the employee is still employed by an overseas business and you do not actually pay them, you’re still treated as their employer and are responsible for recording and reporting their earnings and PAYE deductions to HMRC. These are called ‘seconded employees’.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-employee-coming-to-work-from-abroad#paying-tax-and-national-insurance-contributions

Exactly. With the payment of taxes comes certain benefits, one of those is healthcare free at the point of need.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #815 on: May 21, 2020, 01:46:59 PM »
Exactly. With the payment of taxes comes certain benefits, one of those is healthcare free at the point of need.

That isn't how it works at the moment... I doubt there's any country in the world where it works like that. Start work and immediately be entitled to full free health care. I'm sure this is the sort of idea that stopped people voting for Corbyn

Offline Carana

« Reply #816 on: May 21, 2020, 02:26:33 PM »
That isn't how it works at the moment... I doubt there's any country in the world where it works like that. Start work and immediately be entitled to full free health care. I'm sure this is the sort of idea that stopped people voting for Corbyn

https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=858&langId=en

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #817 on: May 21, 2020, 05:25:14 PM »

Not to worry, the schemes been scrapped anyway due to criticism.....Corbyn being one of the fiercest critics.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #818 on: May 21, 2020, 05:56:39 PM »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #819 on: May 21, 2020, 05:58:53 PM »
Not to worry, the schemes been scrapped anyway due to criticism.....Corbyn being one of the fiercest critics.

I don't think the scheme has been scrapped at all.. It may have been relaxed for health workers... I'm not sure if those who have already paid get a refund.... Going back how long

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #820 on: May 21, 2020, 06:03:12 PM »
Just checked... Doesn't apply to EU citizens... Or didn't..
Applies to those intending to work... Study... Or join family in the uk.. But not on a permanent basis.. So not for those who've applied for settlement

Offline Carana

« Reply #821 on: May 21, 2020, 06:04:06 PM »
I could understand the general system if non-EEA workers only paid tax & NI after a year of work, but is that the case or are they docked monthly?

Even if that's the case, in a time of crisis, surely those on the frontline deserve a bit more than just a clap?

Offline Carana

« Reply #822 on: May 21, 2020, 06:04:53 PM »
Just checked... Doesn't apply to EU citizens... Or didn't..
Applies to those intending to work... Study... Or join family in the uk.. But not on a permanent basis.. So not for those who've applied for settlement

But the issue is about non-EEA citizens.

Offline Carana

« Reply #823 on: May 21, 2020, 06:17:32 PM »
He's changed his mind.

Boris Johnson U-turns as he scraps NHS fee for foreign health workers after being 'personal beneficiary of carers from abroad'
The change will apply to all NHS workers, including porters, cleaners, independent health workers and social care staff.

Thursday 21 May 2020 18:05, UK
https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-u-turn-as-he-scraps-nhs-fee-for-foreign-health-workers-after-being-personal-beneficiary-of-carers-from-abroad-11992317

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #824 on: May 21, 2020, 06:45:48 PM »
I don't think the scheme has been scrapped at all.. It may have been relaxed for health workers... I'm not sure if those who have already paid get a refund.... Going back how long

It’s still a u-turn.....the second in two days.