Author Topic: Sunday Times claim that Smith e-fits had been suppressed for 5 years.  (Read 267265 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Sunday Times claim that Smith e-fits had been suppressed for 5 years.
« Reply #870 on: November 04, 2013, 07:11:37 PM »
Isn't it a wonderful thing that the McCanns miraculously released Exton from this "repression" (on "free-speech") to talk to The Times?

Did they?

ferryman

« Reply #871 on: November 04, 2013, 07:12:27 PM »

stephen25000

« Reply #872 on: November 04, 2013, 07:22:26 PM »
No!

I'm being sarcastic.

Do you object to the truth coming out ?

P.S. I'm not being sarcastic

ferryman

« Reply #873 on: November 04, 2013, 07:27:25 PM »
Do you object to the truth coming out ?

P.S. I'm not being sarcastic

The bit of the truth we are waiting for is who abducted Madeleine.  And what happened to Madeleine.

icabodcrane

« Reply #874 on: November 04, 2013, 07:31:49 PM »
Isn't it a wonderful thing that the McCanns miraculously released Exton from this "repression" (on "free-speech") to talk to The Times?

They didn't have much choice did they  ...  what were they going to say to Scotland Yard  ?

"No,  we will not instruct our lawyers to withdraw threats of legal action so Henri Exton can give you the report you want to see "  ? 

That  IS  the most likely scenario isn't it  ? ...  Exton contacts Scotland Yard and says he has information that is certainly of interest to their investigation but that he is unable to give it to them because the McCann lawyers have made threats of legal action

So Scotland Yard go the McCanns and tells them they want to see the information Exton has,  so would they lift the legal threats preventing  them from doing so 

The McCanns  have  to do it 

I can't see any other logical explanation for what has happened here 

Offline jassi

« Reply #875 on: November 04, 2013, 07:32:57 PM »
The bit of the truth we are waiting for is who abducted Madeleine.  And what happened to Madeleine.

I fear we might be waiting a long time for that
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

ferryman

« Reply #876 on: November 04, 2013, 07:34:49 PM »
They didn't have much choice did they  ...  what were they going to say to Scotland Yard  ?

"No,  we will not instruct our lawyers to withdraw threats of legal action so Henri Exton can give you the report you want to see "  ? 

That  IS  the most likely scenario isn't it  ? ...  Exton contacts Scotland Yard and says he has information that is certainly of interest to their investigation but that he is unable to give it to them because the McCann lawyers have made threats of legal action

So Scotland Yard go the McCanns and tells them they want to see the information Exton has,  so would they lift the legal threats preventing  them from doing so 

The McCanns  have  to do it 

I can't see any other logical explanation for what has happened here 

What on earth are you on about?

icabodcrane

« Reply #877 on: November 04, 2013, 07:42:43 PM »
What on earth are you on about?

The Times article says that Scotland Yard got a copy of the report from the author  (  Henri Exton  )   

If they had to ask  him  for a copy of his report   (  which included the  e fits  )   then it clearly wasn't in the private detective files that the McCanns had given them, was it  ? 

Who do you   think told Scotland Yard about the report   and e fits  ?

Offline Carana

« Reply #878 on: November 04, 2013, 07:45:09 PM »
The two investigative journalists involved  ( can't think of their names off the top of my head, sorry  )  had previously been succesfully sued   ( together with the Times  )   for libelling a politician  (  I can't think of his name either,  I'm afraid   )

In the spirit of  'once bitten, twice shy'  I think it's fair to assume the Times legal people went through the article with a tooth comb before allowing publication 

Certainly,  there has been no rebuttal or denial from the McCanns

Is this the litigation in question concerning these journalists?

Sunday Times loses Cruddas libel battle, pays £180,000 plus costs
31/07/2013
By: Media Lawyer

Former Conservative Party co-treasurer Peter Cruddas was today awarded £180,000 in damages in his High Court libel action over a Sunday Times allegation about charging £250,000 to meet David Cameron.

The 59-year-old businessman had sued Times Newspapers Ltd and two members of the newspaper's Insight team over three articles which appeared in March 2012.

He complained the articles meant that, in return for cash donations to the Conservative party, he corruptly offered for sale the opportunity to influence government policy and gain unfair advantage through secret meetings with the Prime Minister and other senior ministers.

During the litigation, the Court of Appeal ruled that, in relation to the libel claim, "corruptly" meant "inappropriate, unacceptable and wrong and gave rise to an impression of impropriety".

Mr Cruddas also said the articles meant he made the offer even though he knew the money offered for meetings was to come, in breach of the ban under UK electoral law, from Middle Eastern investors in a Liechtenstein fund and that he was happy that the foreign donors should use deceptive devices to conceal the true source of the donation.

The newspaper, which also has to make a £500,000 payment towards Mr Cruddas' costs by mid-August, had pleaded justification.

Mr Cruddas also succeeded in his claim for malicious falsehood but no separate damages award was made in respect of that today, because, Mr Justice Tugendhat explained, while he had held that the defendants had acted maliciously, and that the articles were likely to cause him pecuniary damage in respect of his profession and business, he could not recover twice for the same damage.

Page 2

Mr Cruddas said later: "The dark cloud that has hung over me and my family since the Sunday Times published its malicious lies about me 16 months ago has finally been lifted and justice has been done.

"My world was turned upside-down when that article was published.

"I remember vividly having to walk into my offices the day after the article was published and face 500 of my staff, many of whom had a clip of the Sunday Times interview on their video screens. It was humiliating.

"I was also embarrassed to accept invites to events, which meant that my charities suffered.

"The Conservative Party cut me off within two hours of the story breaking and did not want to hear my side of the story.

"I was constructively dismissed from my role as party treasurer and made to feel like an outcast as the Prime Minister and the party lined up to criticise me on television and radio. This hurt me immensely and further damaged my reputation.

"Since the article was published I have kept a dignified silence and let the legal process do the talking for me.

"Perhaps the Sunday Times under-estimated me and thought I would quietly disappear but I knew all along that I was telling the truth and that the story was malicious, so I was prepared to fight all the way.

"I hope my victory shows that this type of journalism employed by the Sunday Times and its journalists Heidi Blake and Jonathan Calvert is totally unacceptable, particularly post-Leveson."

He added: "Today is a good day for me. I am delighted that my good name has been restored. My family, friends and legal team have shown me huge support throughout, which has kept me going, and I sincerely thank them."

Jeremy Clarke-Williams, senior principal lawyer at Slater & Gordon Lawyers, who represented Mr Cruddas, said: "This is a devastating and unequivocal judgment which provides the clear vindication Mr Cruddas deserves.

"We are delighted that his reputation as a successful and honest businessman and generous philanthropist has been restored.

"Although the Sunday Times continually maintained both before and during the litigation that this was public interest journalism, they did not defend the case on that basis and clearly there can never be a public interest in publishing malicious and damaging lies.

"One can only hope that important lessons will be learned from this case about the proper conduct of investigative journalism."
http://www.societyofeditors.co.uk/page-view.php?pagename=Courts&parent_page_id=149&news_id=6172&numbertoprintfrom=1&language={language}

stephen25000

« Reply #879 on: November 04, 2013, 07:49:23 PM »

The mysterious abduction with nae proof, and that's after 6 and a half years of absolutely nothing being found.

No sarcasm there either.

Merely the truth.

Offline Carana

« Reply #880 on: November 04, 2013, 07:52:38 PM »
Carana,  the McCanns used lawyers to   silence  Henri Exton  ...  then they suppressed his report and the e fits that came with it 

How you,  or anyone else,  can say that is not a shocking revelation  (  and one that is extremely damaging to the McCanns )   is beyond me 

I can only  assume it is a case of  trying to minimise the gravity of the charge laid out in The Times article

- The article seems to be cleverly worded (possibly to avoid libel)... but I find much of it to be tabloidesque. I chose Exton as an example as people across the board assume that he was the one who leaked. Aside from that one quote, nothing else seems to be directly attributable to him.

- The article suggests the "suppression" of their report... When were these e-fits done? Would a company only send them on once they'd done a final report in the case of a missing child, or send on potentially important information as and when they came across it?

- Suppressed from whom? Who were they supposed to send information to? Kate and Gerry personally? The Fund? The police?

- Who, aside from possibly Exton, was ex-MI5?

- Which "hypercritical" aspects are anything more than what is contained in the files?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #881 on: November 04, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
I see you have a lot to investigate, Carana ! We look forward for your findings.

Offline Carana

« Reply #882 on: November 04, 2013, 08:08:18 PM »
I see you have a lot to investigate, Carana ! We look forward for your findings.

If you have answers, I'd be interested in reading them.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #883 on: November 04, 2013, 08:11:22 PM »
If you have answers, I'd be interested in reading them.
Prefabricated answers, surely not.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #884 on: November 04, 2013, 08:33:07 PM »
- The article seems to be cleverly worded (possibly to avoid libel)... but I find much of it to be tabloidesque. I chose Exton as an example as people across the board assume that he was the one who leaked. Aside from that one quote, nothing else seems to be directly attributable to him.

- The article suggests the "suppression" of their report... When were these e-fits done? Would a company only send them on once they'd done a final report in the case of a missing child, or send on potentially important information as and when they came across it?

- Suppressed from whom? Who were they supposed to send information to? Kate and Gerry personally? The Fund? The police?

- Who, aside from possibly Exton, was ex-MI5?

- Which "hypercritical" aspects are anything more than what is contained in the files?

what evidence is there that exton was mi5