Author Topic: Sunday Times claim that Smith e-fits had been suppressed for 5 years.  (Read 267263 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: Sunday Times claim that Smith e-fits had been suppressed for 5 years.
« Reply #1380 on: August 05, 2014, 10:50:41 AM »
That's a good point Stephen and one I haven't seen mentioned in this thread previously.  I make no excuses for using the word 'withheld' btw because that is exactly what happened...they were withheld...question is...by whom?

My own view is that the images were just too similar to Gerry and we all know what speculations that would have alighted had they found their way into the public domain.  Notice how Redwood goes out of his way to insist that neither the McCanns or their friends are suspects or persons of interest before releasing the e-fits.

I agree that the images would have caused loads of distracting speculation because they are so generic they could be interpreted to look like anyone. 

I’ve been looking back at the efits in circulation to see which ones had been issued solely by the fund without direct input from the police and the only one I can find as a likely candidate is the Victoria Beckham lookalike … investigation of which raises as many questions as answers.

Can anyone suggest others which may have been or were issued ‘solely’ by the fund?

I’m not even sure that it would have been released independently, without prior consultation with the British and Portuguese authorities since the case was still active and M3 were in contact with the PJ at the time. 

The fact that I can’t locate any discussion, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.   Then the sighting was not on Portuguese soil but all the others were, including Smithman; but the stumbling block then arises about such information from PIs being inadmissible in Portuguese courts.  Maybe the involvement of SY circumvented that also – until the Sunday Times went to press, no-one questioned that the Met were the source of the images.

I don’t think it is so much who ‘withheld’ these efits – we know that, as all three main players had them in their hands – I think it is more why. 
There must have been a reason for withholding the publication of these images and without knowing what that was it is impossible to point the finger of blame. 

It is regrettable that the Sunday Times rushed into print, apparently without checking, for a ‘scoop’ (as the very speedy apology seems to support); on the say-so of a discredited private investigation agency under the by-line of two journalists who have already cost them dear in litigation.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Carana

« Reply #1381 on: August 05, 2014, 11:11:16 AM »
(snip)
There must have been a reason for withholding the publication of these images and without knowing what that was it is impossible to point the finger of blame. 

That's my view as well. There could have been any number of reasons why they were not released earlier.

ferryman

« Reply #1382 on: August 05, 2014, 11:19:43 AM »
I think it is, simply, that the context and backdrop of a live enquiry was needed to release an efit of a man carrying a child in close proximity to apartment 5a at roughly the time Madeleine was abducted.

That was the context of publication of the efit of Jane Tanner's sighting, and I think that Mr Smith produced his e-fit after the first investigation was shelved and he realised he was mistaken to suppose the man was Gerry.

It is counter-intuitive and illogical to suppose that Mr Smith would produce an efit of a man he thought was Gerry, for obvious reasons ...

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #1383 on: August 05, 2014, 12:54:51 PM »
I think it is, simply, that the context and backdrop of a live enquiry was needed to release an efit of a man carrying a child in close proximity to apartment 5a at roughly the time Madeleine was abducted.

That was the context of publication of the efit of Jane Tanner's sighting, and I think that Mr Smith produced his e-fit after the first investigation was shelved and he realised he was mistaken to suppose the man was Gerry.

It is counter-intuitive and illogical to suppose that Mr Smith would produce an efit of a man he thought was Gerry, for obvious reasons ...

So why did 'a source close to the fund' give this reason for not releasing them then?

"[The report] was hypercritical of the people involved . . . It just wouldn't be conducive to the investigation to have that report publicly declared because . . . the newspapers would have been all over it. And it would have been completely distracting,".

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:59:05 PM by Wonderfulspam »
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #1384 on: August 05, 2014, 12:56:15 PM »
And this...

The McCann fund source said the Oakley report was passed on to new private investigators after the contract ended, but that the firm's work was considered "contaminated" by the financial dispute.

He said the fund wanted to continue to pursue information about the man seen by Tanner, and it would have been too expensive to investigate both sightings in full — so the Smith E-Fits were not publicised. It was also considered necessary to threaten legal action against the authors.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1385 on: August 05, 2014, 01:01:54 PM »

I suspect that the information regarding the non release of these E-Fits is perfectly logical, and known to those to whom it matters.
I would not dare to venture a reason.  But The McCanns will not have deliberately withheld them to cause interference.  That would simply not make sense for any reason.

stephen25000

« Reply #1386 on: August 05, 2014, 01:05:31 PM »
And this...

The McCann fund source said the Oakley report was passed on to new private investigators after the contract ended, but that the firm's work was considered "contaminated" by the financial dispute.

He said the fund wanted to continue to pursue information about the man seen by Tanner, and it would have been too expensive to investigate both sightings in full — so the Smith E-Fits were not publicised. It was also considered necessary to threaten legal action against the authors.

Interesting to say the least.

So why would the mccanns need to threaten legal action ?

Something we have become very familiar with.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #1387 on: August 05, 2014, 01:06:39 PM »
I suspect that the information regarding the non release of these E-Fits is perfectly logical, and known to those to whom it matters.
I would not dare to venture a reason.  But The McCanns will not have deliberately withheld them to cause interference.   That would simply not make sense for any reason.

There is one reason why it would make sense.

But, of course, that reason is entirely negated by the existance of the pyjama changing abductor, whom Redwood , & all the worlds greatest minds, are certain is out there.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1388 on: August 05, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »
There is one reason why it would make sense.

But, of course, that reason is entirely negated by the existance of the pyjama changing abductor, whom Redwood , & all the worlds greatest minds, are certain is out there.

Well tell us what you think the reason is.  No one is likely to get sued for expressing an opinion on this Forum.  Otherwise, I could be top of someone's list.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1389 on: August 05, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
And this...

"The McCann fund source said..." Hmm.

Was this someone on the board of directors of the FM fund, a disgruntled PI or an invention?

ETA: What did the article actually say? "The McCann fund source said" or "a source close to the Fund said"?

ETA2: No, okay, the original article did say  "McCann fund source said..."

Hmmm. I still find that a bit iffy.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:25:37 PM by Carana »

ferryman

« Reply #1390 on: August 05, 2014, 01:12:36 PM »
So why did 'a source close to the fund' give this reason for not releasing them then?

"[The report] was hypercritical of the people involved . . . It just wouldn't be conducive to the investigation to have that report publicly declared because . . . the newspapers would have been all over it. And it would have been completely distracting,".

Back to Blake and Calvert ...

Offline Carana

« Reply #1391 on: August 05, 2014, 01:24:24 PM »
Interesting to say the least.

So why would the mccanns need to threaten legal action ?

Something we have become very familiar with.

Indeed. Unnamed "sources" yet again...

stephen25000

« Reply #1392 on: August 05, 2014, 01:30:07 PM »
Indeed. Unnamed "sources" yet again...

Indeed not. 8)--))

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #1393 on: August 05, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »
The McCanns are neither persons of interest or suspects & SY have concluded that they had absolutely no involvement whatsoever in Madeleine's disappearance.

It's just a strange & unfortunate coincidence that Mr McCann happened to own a pair of trousers that were not too dissimilar to those worn by the abductor.

Tragic coincidence that has added fuel to the unfounded vilification of the McCanns, how sad.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:07:09 PM by Mr Moderator »

Offline misty

« Reply #1394 on: August 05, 2014, 03:13:15 PM »
The McCanns are neither persons of interest or suspects & SY have concluded that they had absolutely no involvement whatsoever in Madeleine's disappearance.

It's just a strange & unfortunate coincidence that Mr McCann happened to own a pair of trousers that were not too dissimilar to those worn by the abductor.

Tragic coincidence that has added fuel to the unfounded vilification of the McCanns, how sad.

No doubt Sr. Amaral made sure those buttoned trousers of Gerry's were first on the list of clothes to be examined by Eddie & Keela - didn't he????
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:07:39 PM by Mr Moderator »