Author Topic: So where was Smithman going to that night?  (Read 28876 times)

Offline pathfinder73

So where was Smithman going to that night?
« on: May 10, 2014, 02:05:16 AM »
I'm certain he got to the church. Aoife had reached the top of the steps when he passed her - he wouldn't chance going down the steps in case he was seen by more eye witnesses. It makes no sense for him to go down that narrow brightly lit lane if he didn't know where he was going. He had to follow a route that he knew and the only way was to follow the road (Rue 25 de Abril) to the church and possibly to the rocks/beach. Any pipe trenches or holes in that building site could have been used so I would check around the church first where the suspect was heading IMO.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 12:10:50 AM by John »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline sadie

Re: So where was Smithman going to that night?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 02:08:01 AM »
From statements, we found that Smithman was going in an Easterly direction along Rua 25 Abril,  towards the church, or

in an initiually southern direction down the steps then maybe east again.  That we dont know

We DO KNOW that from Aofies description, he definitely was NOT going in a westerly direction.

So east or south.  Take your pick

Offline sadie

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 02:11:38 AM »
I'm certain he got to the church. Aoife had reached the top of the steps when he passed her - he wouldn't chance going down the steps in case he was seen by more eye witnesses. It makes no sense for him to go down that narrow brightly lit lane if he didn't know where he was going. He had to follow a route that he knew and the only way was to follow the road (Rue 25 de Abril) to the church and possibly to the rocks/beach. Any pipe trenches or holes in that building site could have been used so I would check around the church first where the suspect was heading IMO.
Pathfinder. 

You make me laugh.  He went along the main street cos he wouldn't be seen there?  Tommy Rot ... sorry, but it is.

Try being a little more circumspect and try thinking befoire you speak

icabodcrane

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 02:14:28 AM »
From statements, we found that Smithman was going in an Easterly direction along Rua 25 Abril,  towards the church, or

in an initiually southern direction down the steps then maybe east again.  That we dont know

We DO KNOW that from Aofies description, he definitely was NOT going in a westerly direction.

So east or south.  Take your pick

Thanks sadie  ...  so he could have been heading to the church  ?

Is that  why the military helicopter was focussed on that area perhaps  ?   ...  or could there be another reason for the church being the main focus of attention   ? 

Offline sadie

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 02:19:25 AM »
Thanks sadie  ...  so he could have been heading to the church  ?

Is that  why the military helicopter was focussed on that area perhaps  ?   ...  or could there be another reason for the church being the main focus of attention   ?

Yes, amongst several other equally suspicious places.

Now I have another idea why the helicopters might be focussed on that area.

TUNNELS

Nigh Night, Icabod

Offline pegasus

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 02:20:36 AM »
IIRC there is now a chinese restaurant on pathfinder's route.
It may have not been there in May 2007. Might be good to check because if one is assuming this man wants to avoid being seen he would probably choose the steps rather than walking past a restaurant?
But as I said it may not have been there then?
And BTW if anyone replies ah but going down the steps takes him past an african restaurant, that is not necessarily so.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:22:39 AM by pegasus »

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 02:22:12 AM »
Pathfinder. 

You make me laugh.  He went along the main street cos he wouldn't be seen there?  Tommy Rot ... sorry, but it is.

Try being a little more circumspect and try thinking befoire you speak

The road is the quieter and darker route if you know anything Sadie! Those brightly lit steps lead you down to bars and people. Look at where Aoife was when he passed her very fast (A on pic below). He may have fallen down those steps going at that speed. He went quickly down the road and reached the church IMO. And if he didn't know the place that well he would use a route that he knew and not risk going down narrow lanes that he had never used before and getting lost  8-)(--) He had to know where he was heading and how to get there.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:31:07 AM by pathfinder73 »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 02:31:32 AM »
OK I checked and the chinese appears to have opened in 2005.
I might be wrong maybe someone else can check?
First use google streetview to look east from where A.Smith saw the man, that gives you the restaurant name.
Then in a search engine type the restaurant name (in quotes) together with "praia da luz" "opened in"

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 02:38:31 AM »
It all connects with the church. Which route do you think somebody who didn't know PDL would use?

icabodcrane

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 02:40:37 AM »
OK I checked and the chinese appears to have opened in 2005.
I might be wrong maybe someone else can check?
First use google streetview to look east from where A.Smith saw the man, that gives you the restaurant name.
Then in a search engine type the restaurant name (in quotes) together with "praia da luz" "opened in"

...  and this is significant  ...  how   ?   

Offline sadie

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 02:52:56 AM »
The road is the quieter and darker route if you know anything Sadie! Those brightly lit steps lead you down to bars and people. Look at where Aoife was when he passed her very fast (A on pic below). He may have fallen down those steps going at that speed. He went quickly down the road and reached the church IMO. And if he didn't know the place that well he would use a route that he knew and not risk going down narrow lanes that he had never used before and getting lost  8-)(--) He had to know where he was heading and how to get there.

You on the  8-)(--) abuse again Pathfinder?

What is wrong with you that you need to resort to that?  I would never do that to any of you.

I agree about the steps, but at the bottom when the handful of restaurants and bars close, the lighting is not so good.  Rua 25 Abril is the main road with traffick likely at any time and is also fairly well lit.  However I am happy to agree he might have gone either way.  Most peeps are in bed early at PdL.  It is a quiet place largely inhabited by retirees.

But it is any TUNNELS that I am most interested in atm.  Planes with ground searching equipment would be able to track them, I think.  Seems there was likely one going down to the little cove/ beach.  Wonder where it came out at the top end?  If my suspicions are right, what a piece of evidence that might provide !!!!

Hmm?   >@@(*&)

Nigh Night.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 02:53:35 AM »
...  and this is significant  ...  how   ?   
IIRC the "east along Rua 25 Abril" theory has this as a man carrying a body? Having a choice to go east along Rua 25 Abril, or south down the lane of steps, he sees a restaurant which has windows facing onto the street and decides "I know I will avoid being seen further by choosing to walk east along Rua 25 past a restaurant which has windows so that staff and diners looking out the windows can see me"?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:56:36 AM by pegasus »

Offline pegasus

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 03:04:55 AM »
... it is any TUNNELS that I am most interested in...
Down lane, first right, left at end, straight, takes you to a round drain.
My opinion now is smith sighting is not relevant BTW, if I did still think it relevant then that would be a possible route JIMO.

icabodcrane

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 03:10:32 AM »
You on the  8-)(--) abuse again Pathfinder?

What is wrong with you that you need to resort to that?  I would never do that to any of you.

I agree about the steps, but at the bottom when the handful of restaurants and bars close, the lighting is not so good.  Rua 25 Abril is the main road with traffick likely at any time and is also fairly well lit.  However I am happy to agree he might have gone either way.  Most peeps are in bed early at PdL.  It is a quiet place largely inhabited by retirees.

But it is any TUNNELS that I am most interested in atm.  Planes with ground searching equipment would be able to track them, I think.  Seems there was likely one going down to the little cove/ beach.  Wonder where it came out at the top end?  If my suspicions are right, what a piece of evidence that might provide !!!!

Hmm?   >@@(*&)

Nigh Night.

So why was that military helicopter hovering over the church  ? 

What is   there about that little church,  and the land directly behind it,  that so interests the police  ?

Offline pegasus

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 03:34:40 AM »
So why was that military helicopter hovering over the church  ? 
What is   there about that little church,  and the land directly behind it,  that so interests the police  ?
The helicopter will have hovered over a number of locations, both in the town and just outside.
The church area is one of several locations where there were open construction trenches at the time.
BTW back in July 2007 the NPIA also did aerial surveys of the town and surrounding areas by helicopter.