Author Topic: Are the balconies at OC a risk to toddlers?  (Read 35589 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: Are the balconies at OC a risk to toddlers?
« Reply #225 on: October 04, 2016, 06:28:33 PM »
You appear to be missing one very important point and it does not relate to how tall anybody is.
It relates to elevations of features. See if you can spot it. Unless you have measurements you are guessing.
Imagine you are at H & S hearing.
"Well Sir I believe the balustrades were without the code because on this photo taken from below you can see the man of unspecified height has the railings only half way up his thigh and if we measure the height half way up your thigh Sir we can see that is .............".
The response from Sir would likely start "Really Mr R. are you seriously suggesting................".
I do get the feeling this issue will be argued in court.  At that stage certainly full measurements will be provided.  Up to now I have not seen anything that I could get an accurate (estimation) scale from.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 07:32:46 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #226 on: October 04, 2016, 07:38:57 PM »
Was the intention of taking this photo just to show how easily climbed the balustrades were?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #227 on: October 04, 2016, 09:44:53 PM »
Do you know anything relevant to the issue?
Did the balustrades meet the requirements?
Which code is this covered by?

So far I have the photo of the officer climbing what looks like a balustrade at OC and the whole structure is very climbable.  Once he stands on the concrete base the non-climbable section comes up to just above his knees.
It seems it could be very easily scaled by small children.

Dunno mate you said they didn't so prove they didn't.
You are still missing a pertinent point.
Hint: Ordnance datum.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline sadie

« Reply #228 on: October 04, 2016, 10:14:04 PM »
1. Well ring a ding ding we have so too. There ain't no flies on you now are there?.
2. Say what you like sadie it will affect neither my health nor my finances.
3. Is Robin George Crosland a structural engineer or building inspector?

Robin Crosland was the architect who designed O.C. according to Blackwatch of the Sargeants Blog ... so he probably could have been either with a little additional training.

Were you the structual engineer for O.C. ?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #229 on: October 04, 2016, 10:26:41 PM »
Dunno mate you said they didn't so prove they didn't.
You are still missing a pertinent point.
Hint: Ordnance datum.
When we get there we will do some measurements OK of ordnance datums etc. Also to see whether kids could get their head stuck in the spaces and cause accidental asphyxiation.
Both unclimbable height and spacing are important  safety considerations.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:45:39 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #230 on: October 04, 2016, 11:18:46 PM »
When we get there we will do some measurements OK of ordnance datums etc. Also to see whether kids could get their head stuck in the spaces and cause accidental asphyxiation.
Both unclimbable height and spacing are important  safety considerations.

I know  ?{)(**
The UK regs allow for a spacing of verticals that will not allow a 100mm diameter sphere to pass.
You are still mising he point about those in OC.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #231 on: October 04, 2016, 11:21:16 PM »
Robin Crosland was the architect who designed O.C. according to Blackwatch of the Sargeants Blog ... so he probably could have been either with a little additional training.

Were you the structual engineer for O.C. ?

I was not a structural engineer on any project in Portugal.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #232 on: October 05, 2016, 01:27:10 AM »
I know  ?{)(**
The UK regs allow for a spacing of verticals that will not allow a 100 mm diameter sphere to pass.
You are still mising he point about those in OC.
That is a pretty small head.  It really surprised me that they would insist on the verticals being so close.
I know you'll be saying "the building went up in the 70's when the rules were different".  That might be the case, but how do the regulations apply when the apartments are leased to tourists?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 06:53:38 AM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #233 on: October 05, 2016, 07:44:24 AM »
That is a pretty small head.  It really surprised me that they would insist on the verticals being so close.
I know you'll be saying "the building went up in the 70's when the rules were different".  That might be the case, but how do the regulations apply when the apartments are leased to tourists?

I think you are way up a blind alley. A huge amount of holiday accommodation has low balcony walls so the OC is nothing special.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Alfie

« Reply #234 on: October 05, 2016, 09:02:43 AM »
I think you are way up a blind alley. A huge amount of holiday accommodation has low balcony walls so the OC is nothing special.
It's amazing there are any kids left in the world really when you consider how low balcony walls are generally.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #235 on: October 05, 2016, 09:15:53 AM »
It's amazing there are any kids left in the world really when you consider how low balcony walls are generally.

True, most parents are very careful.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Alfie

« Reply #236 on: October 05, 2016, 09:18:42 AM »
True, most parents are very careful.
That being the case why do hundreds of thousands of children get injured in accidents every year?

ETA: millions actually.  So where are these "most parents" who are so very careful?

More than two million children under the age of 15 experience accidents in and around the home every year, for which they are taken to accident and emergency units. Many more are treated by GPs and by parents and carers. On average 62 children under the age of five died as a result of an accident and over 76.000 under  the age of 14  are admitted for treatment of which over 40% are under 5 years of age.

Those most at risk from a home accident are the 0-4 years age group. Falls account for the majority of non-fatal accidents while the highest numbers of deaths are due to fire. Most of these accidents are preventable through increased awareness, improvements in the home environment and greater product safety.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:26:42 AM by Alfie »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #237 on: October 05, 2016, 09:55:28 AM »
That being the case why do hundreds of thousands of children get injured in accidents every year?

ETA: millions actually.  So where are these "most parents" who are so very careful?

More than two million children under the age of 15 experience accidents in and around the home every year, for which they are taken to accident and emergency units. Many more are treated by GPs and by parents and carers. On average 62 children under the age of five died as a result of an accident and over 76.000 under  the age of 14  are admitted for treatment of which over 40% are under 5 years of age.

Those most at risk from a home accident are the 0-4 years age group. Falls account for the majority of non-fatal accidents while the highest numbers of deaths are due to fire. Most of these accidents are preventable through increased awareness, improvements in the home environment and greater product safety.

Well, that's amazing. Yet, according to you, none of the children fell from quite dangerous looking balconies in European holiday destinations. Of course those figures would be included in other country's figures, so we don't know what they are, do we?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Alfie

« Reply #238 on: October 05, 2016, 10:36:09 AM »
Well, that's amazing. Yet, according to you, none of the children fell from quite dangerous looking balconies in European holiday destinations. Of course those figures would be included in other country's figures, so we don't know what they are, do we?
If I have stated that no children have ever fallen from balconies in European holiday destinations it should be very easy for you to provide the cite of me saying so - over to you, or withdraw your claim. 

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #239 on: October 05, 2016, 10:55:36 AM »
Kids are intelligent.  Most cases they would consider what would happen if they ventured over the edge.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 11:03:11 AM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation