Author Topic: Luke Mitchell Theories  (Read 98950 times)

TheArmchairDetective

Luke Mitchell Theories
« on: June 08, 2019, 11:52:40 AM »
Let me start with this:

The knife pouch with ‘666, [Name removed] 1989-2003, The Finest Day I Ever Had, Was When Tomorrow Never Came’.

It’s probably the most controversial and damning piece of evidence against him.  Only a psychopath would keep something as morbid.  This could be argued as a trophy, suggesting he is in fact proud that she is dead.  Only a psychopath capable of being behind such a murder would inscribe ‘666’ on this too.  This is clearly a nod to Satan, which is not surprising in this case as Mitchell has shown in the past some unusual interest in this.

Jodi’s favourite song lyric - The Finest Day I Ever I Ever Had Was When Tomorrow Never Came.  Only someone with low self-esteem and/or depression would view such a lyric in a meaningful way.  This lyric suggests she may have wanted to die.

IMO, Mitchell sensed she was weak and honoured this wish for her, but I am not entirely sure exactly how he managed to avoid detection. This aspect is perplexing.  However, I have a feeling he stood with his arms folded whilst others carried it out.  IMO, Mitchell met Jodi on the path, coaxed her over the wall to smoke cannabis where she was ambushed by other males waiting at the other side.  Why or how Mitchell had the means or the power to engineer and orchestrate such a plan is not for me to comment, but keeping a trophy of her in such a morbid way does not sit with me.

I do not disagree that the Police investigation was a circus.  I do not disagree with many of the points Sandra Lean has made with regards to this case, particularly those in her new book.  However, I am not actually that surprised a Jury convicted him.  If my girlfriend or wife was murdered by a baseball bat, the last thing I would want to see is a baseball bat, let alone owning one and writing her name on it.

Mitchell engineered this, and so happened to do it without leaving a trace of DNA.  He managed this because he wasn’t actually the one who carried it out.  I suspect it was others, and maybe either another unaccounted for individual or two.  Nonetheless, I do not believe Mitchell is an innocent party.

He engineered the killing.  He is as guilty as the ones who carried it out.   It was a nod to Satan.

Does anyone else have a theory?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 10:22:59 PM by John »

Offline John

Re: Luke Mitchell Theories
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 05:21:58 PM »
Let me start with this:

The knife pouch with ‘666, [Name removed] 1989-2003, The Finest Day I Ever Had, Was When Tomorrow Never Came’.

It’s probably the most controversial and damning piece of evidence against him.  Only a psychopath would keep something as morbid.  This could be argued as a trophy, suggesting he is in fact proud that she is dead.  Only a psychopath capable of being behind such a murder would inscribe ‘666’ on this too.  This is clearly a nod to Satan, which is not surprising in this case as Mitchell has shown in the past some unusual interest in this.

Jodi’s favourite song lyric - The Finest Day I Ever I Ever Had Was When Tomorrow Never Came.  Only someone with low self-esteem and/or depression would view such a lyric in a meaningful way.  This lyric suggests she may have wanted to die.

IMO, Mitchell sensed she was weak and honoured this wish for her, but I am not entirely sure exactly how he managed to avoid detection. This aspect is perplexing.  However, I have a feeling he stood with his arms folded whilst others carried it out.  IMO, Mitchell met Jodi on the path, coaxed her over the wall to smoke cannabis where she was ambushed by other males waiting at the other side.  Why or how Mitchell had the means or the power to engineer and orchestrate such a plan is not for me to comment, but keeping a trophy of her in such a morbid way does not sit with me.

I do not disagree that the Police investigation was a circus.  I do not disagree with many of the points Sandra Lean has made with regards to this case, particularly those in her new book.  However, I am not actually that surprised a Jury convicted him.  If my girlfriend or wife was murdered by a baseball bat, the last thing I would want to see is a baseball bat, let alone owning one and writing her name on it.

Mitchell engineered this, and so happened to do it without leaving a trace of DNA.  He managed this because he wasn’t actually the one who carried it out.  I suspect it was others, and maybe either another unaccounted for individual or two.  Nonetheless, I do not believe Mitchell is an innocent party. 

He engineered the killing.  He is as guilty as the ones who carried it out.   It was a nod to Satan.

Does anyone else have a theory?

Welcome to the forum TAD, I have edited you interesting initial post in order to comply with specific forum rules.

My own theory is that Mitchell did indeed murder Jodi in a moment of insanity and was very lucky not to have been discovered doing so. He was seen however by two women in a passing car standing looking very suspicious by the side of the main road. This location just happens to be where the public footpath leading to the spot where Jodi's body was found emerges and would be the route Mitchell would have taken had he been returning home via an off-road route to avoid being detected. There is much more to all this off course including the refusal of his older brother to vouch for his presence in the family home when the murder occurred.  Luke Mitchell claimed that he was home making tea yet his brother Shane testified that he was home alone after returning from work.  Bottom line is that they both can't be right!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 05:42:29 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Myster

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 06:14:40 PM »
Have a listen to what Corrine Mitchell recently had to say... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6ysPeri0O4
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline John

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 06:49:06 PM »
Have a listen to what Corrine Mitchell recently had to say... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6ysPeri0O4

Thanx Myster.  I think Corrine has had plenty of time to polish her tale and can use some choice language when it suits..  She claims to be Luke's alibi but she was at work when the murder was committed and she had no way of knowing what he was up to. She also denies that there was any evidence against him yet he was seen by two independent witnesses at the end of the path leading to the murder scene, he denied being there. As for the polygraph, well, anyone who believes in that fake science has got to be desperate. Terry Mullins does quite nicely out of it as did Jeremy Kyle up to a few weeks ago. Corrine paints an idyllic scene of family normality and conveniently leaves out all reference to Luke's history of knife violence towards other young girls or to his cannabis dealing activities. According to Corrine Mitchell, her son was a normal well adjusted young man (laughs). She claims that they were a normal law abiding family...hello!!  ...he was flogging cannabis to children ffs!!

It seems that everyone else were the bad guys but Luke Mitchell was the saint. Nothing could be further from the truth IMO. I once gave Corrine Mitchell the opportunity to answer very specific questions on another forum about the night Jodi was murdered after she publicly volunteered to do so but she backed out when she realised she was digging a hole for herself. That says it all really...it seems that denial has become a way of life for her.

PS.  One would have thought that James English could at the very least have spelt the murdered girl's name correctly!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 08:37:09 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

TheArmchairDetective

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 03:24:53 PM »
I have to agree - Corrine Mitchell left a lot out, but it has to be expected.  Her son was convicted of one of the highest profile murder cases in the UK.  She’s not going to tarnish his reputation anymore than it already is.

All the omissions are pretty relevant to be honest.  The fact he was sent to a psychiatrist after writing sadistic essays; the school jotters with 666 and references to hell; the knife pouch with Jodi’s name etc.  It’s no surprise that the Jury convicted him.

The lack if DNA is alarming, and probably impossible.  This suggests someone else did it, but keeping the pouch suggests he was proud of it.  He was glad that it happened.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 03:51:46 PM »
I have to agree - Corrine Mitchell left a lot out, but it has to be expected.  Her son was convicted of one of the highest profile murder cases in the UK.  She’s not going to tarnish his reputation anymore than it already is.

All the omissions are pretty relevant to be honest.  The fact he was sent to a psychiatrist after writing sadistic essays; the school jotters with 666 and references to hell; the knife pouch with Jodi’s name etc.  It’s no surprise that the Jury convicted him.

The lack if DNA is alarming, and probably impossible.  This suggests someone else did it, but keeping the pouch suggests he was proud of it.  He was glad that it happened.

Welcome to the forum. I am not that well read on this case but I do recall the fact that Luke Mitchell was out in the woods for several hours after the murder so he had plenty of time to get muddied up and destroy any evidence.  The unexplained differences in testimony between Luke and his brother are baffling too, you could drive a coach and horses through their story imo.

Are you aware that Jodi was almost decapitated in the attack such was the visciousness of it?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 04:04:07 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

TheArmchairDetective

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 05:04:22 PM »
Many thanks.

He was in the woods? Where abouts? I know a knife was discovered by a member of the public in 2010 on waste-ground 0.5 miles from the locus, but the police appeared unable to extract DNA from this.  The knife had the name Luke on it which, given his girlfriend was murdered by a knife, is highly suspicious

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 09:57:00 PM »
Many thanks.

He was in the woods? Where abouts? I know a knife was discovered by a member of the public in 2010 on waste-ground 0.5 miles from the locus, but the police appeared unable to extract DNA from this.  The knife had the name Luke on it which, given his girlfriend was murdered by a knife, is highly suspicious

Woods around Newbattle Abbey College I believe.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

TheArmchairDetective

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 10:47:37 PM »
Really? I wasn’t aware of that.  Was that ever published in the media? I wonder if this is where the ‘Luke’ knife was found.

I also wasn’t aware she was nearly decapitated.  The knife would have to have been quite large in that case. 

Offline Baz

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 01:47:41 PM »
Really? I wasn’t aware of that.  Was that ever published in the media? I wonder if this is where the ‘Luke’ knife was found.

I also wasn’t aware she was nearly decapitated.  The knife would have to have been quite large in that case.

You would think that would mean quite a lot of blood on the killer but the witnesses that saw "Luke" after the killing didn't describe him as bloody and none of Jodi's blood was found at Luke's house. (This is all from memory, and I haven't read into the case for a few years!)

I wasn't aware of that knife being found but as police wouldn't say if it matched the wounds inflicted, can we assume it was not the murder weapon? I feel they would have been quite vocal about it had they been able to match the knife to the crime.

Still feels like an unsafe conviction to me.

TheArmchairDetective

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 02:16:02 PM »
Yeah, I think if Luke was the killer, there would have been traces of blood found somewhere, whether that would be on his own person, personal belongings, or that of Jodi herself.  I think it is reasonable to assume that it would be probably impossible to commit such an act without leaving an evidence trail.

I also agree with you 100% about the Police being vocal about finding the knife.  If the police found the knife and were sure it matched the wounds and indeed belonged to, or was used by Mitchell, they’d have been extremely vocal about this as it would have confirmed their circumstantial case.  The fact that nothing more came of this knife tends to suggest otherwise.

The conviction is unsafe.  Do you think it’s possible someone else carried it out, albeit Mitchell was maybe more of a backseat driver? Could he have at the very least lured Jodi to the area where he knew others would be waiting?

This is what I feel is the case.

Offline Baz

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 04:24:27 PM »
Yeah, I think if Luke was the killer, there would have been traces of blood found somewhere, whether that would be on his own person, personal belongings, or that of Jodi herself.  I think it is reasonable to assume that it would be probably impossible to commit such an act without leaving an evidence trail.

I also agree with you 100% about the Police being vocal about finding the knife.  If the police found the knife and were sure it matched the wounds and indeed belonged to, or was used by Mitchell, they’d have been extremely vocal about this as it would have confirmed their circumstantial case.  The fact that nothing more came of this knife tends to suggest otherwise.

The conviction is unsafe.  Do you think it’s possible someone else carried it out, albeit Mitchell was maybe more of a backseat driver? Could he have at the very least lured Jodi to the area where he knew others would be waiting?

I think it's possible but unlikely. I think after all these years Luke would have mentioned it.

The main problem for me is the investigation was so awful that we will never really know the truth. Things that always stick with me though are that Jodi's family members, that were with Luke when he found the body, all changed their stories of what happened that night, all to make Luke seem more guilty.

Also, the witness who testified about hearing the noises behind the wall also mentioned the moped being parked at the exact spot at the wall where people climbed over. The two guys on the moped's behaviour after the crime was quite suspect but they were cleared as suspects very early, when all attention was on Luke. That's not to say they did it but they should surely have been considered as suspects just as carefully as Luke. But as I said earlier, this is all from memory, I may be wrong in some of the details now.

Offline John

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 09:47:39 AM »

The terrible reality is that Jodi was not only murdered by having her throat cut but the killer set about mutilating her body. One can only but wonder what kind of depraved mind does such a deed.

If I recall correctly, the knife which was found was not connected to Luke Mitchell.

The police theory was that Mitchell met Jodi at the V in the path wall and she confronted him about two-timing her with another girl. They claim he snapped when challenged and hit her over the head with a piece of wood as she walked away before standing over her and cutting her throat.  LM was a loner, I don't believe anyone else was involved, the two louts with the moped passed the scene of the murder on the opposite side of the wall, they were most likely totally unaware of what had gone on.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 09:55:18 AM by John »

Offline Baz

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 10:40:25 AM »
The terrible reality is that Jodi was not only murdered by having her throat cut but the killer set about mutilating her body. One can only but wonder what kind of depraved mind does such a deed.

If I recall correctly, the knife which was found was not connected to Luke Mitchell.

The police theory was that Mitchell met Jodi at the V in the path wall and she confronted him about two-timing her with another girl. They claim he snapped when challenged and hit her over the head with a piece of wood as she walked away before standing over her and cutting her throat.  LM was a loner, I don't believe anyone else was involved, the two louts with the moped passed the scene of the murder on the opposite side of the wall, they were most likely totally unaware of what had gone on.

I'll reiterate that I'm going by memory here and so may be wrong but as I recall the moped was seen parked at the V at the wall at around the time of the murder without either of the passengers being spotted around it. To my mind that would indicate that they had gone over the wall. Wasn't one of the "louts" related to Jodi too? And didn't one of them dramatically change their appearance (cutting off his own hair??) when the description of possible suspect was released? Sorry my memory isn't great! I'd love to know how these two were cleared so definitively and so quickly (before the forensics came back - again... if memory serves!)

Offline John

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 11:02:34 AM »
I'll reiterate that I'm going by memory here and so may be wrong but as I recall the moped was seen parked at the V at the wall at around the time of the murder without either of the passengers being spotted around it. To my mind that would indicate that they had gone over the wall. Wasn't one of the "louts" related to Jodi too? And didn't one of them dramatically change their appearance (cutting off his own hair??) when the description of possible suspect was released? Sorry my memory isn't great! I'd love to know how these two were cleared so definitively and so quickly (before the forensics came back - again... if memory serves!)

Your recollection is correct, their conduct was very suspicious and they were excluded too quickly from the investigation IMO.

Lothian & Borders Police were totally out of their depth in this murder enquiry. In fact, the forensics lady was so overweight apparently that she couldn't get over the wall initially to do her job. As for messing up the crimescene and failing to protect it from the elements, well that is another story of incompetence.

Mitchell (14) was interviewed without a lawyer present yet none of this apparently counts for anything in Scots Law these days which really comes as no surprise to me at all given my own long experience of it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 11:14:48 AM by John »