Author Topic: Smith Man  (Read 6810 times)

Offline Wonderfulspam

Smith Man
« on: February 02, 2014, 11:23:22 AM »

The Smiths' Sighting

3rd May 2007, around 10:00pm.

The Smith family, from Ireland are returning to their apartment after a night out.

As they walk, they pass a man carrying a child in his arms.

The man averts his eyes from them to signal that he does not wish to speak.

Witness testimony of Martin Smith, 26 May 2007

Date of Diligence: 2007.05.06
Name: MARTIN SMITH

The witness states:
• That he comes to the process as a witness.

• Being of Irish nationality, he does not understand Portuguese in its written or oral form and is accompanied by an interpreter.

• That he has an apartment in Luz, Lagos, located in the Estela da Luz Urbanizaco, A1C. This apartment is co-owned by a friend whose name is L*** O*****. He normally visits Portugal three times a year. When here, he stays in the apartment. Concerning this period, he states that he arrived in Portugal on the 30th of April, 2007, with a booked return date of May 9, 2007. He arrived at Faro airport and flew out from Dublin.

• Concerning the facts under investigation, on the 3rd of May, he went with his family to the Dolphin restaurant in Praia da Luz where they dined. Around 21H00 they left the restaurant and headed toward "Kelly's Bar"; about a 50 metre distance from the restaurant, following the path, as it is very short. The walk took him a few minutes. In "Kelly's Bar" they consumed some drinks. They left that establishment around 21H55 as his son was due to return home very early the next day. This bar is located on Calheta Street.

• After leaving the bar, he travelled in the opposite direction and reached a set of stairs which gave access to Rua 25 de Abril (25th of April Street). On this artery they followed a second street, parallel to Rua 1 de Maio (1st of May Street) whose name he does not remember. He was heading toward his apartment (Estrela da Luz complex) which is located a little above the street that crosses the primary school. As he reached this artery, he crossed an individual holding a child. He notes that it is normal to see people carrying children, especially during the holiday season. This individual was walking the downward path, in the opposite direction. He is not aware where this person was headed. He only saw him as they passed each other. He assumed it was a father and daughter and thought nothing more of it.

• Urged, states that when he passed this individual, it must have been around 22H00. He did not know at the time that a child had disappeared. He only became aware of the disappearance of the child the next morning, from his daughter in Ireland. She had sent him a message or called him regarding what had happened. At this point he thought that MADELEINE could have been the child he saw with the individual.

• Regarding the individual he states that: he was Caucasian, around 175 to 180m in height. He appeared to be about 35/40 years old. He had a normal complexion, a bit on the thin side. His hair was short, in a basic male cut, brown in colour. He cannot state if it was dark or lighter in tone. He did not use glasses and had no beard or moustache. He did not notice any other relevant details partly due to the fact that the lighting was not very good.

• He was wearing cream or beige-coloured cloth trousers in a classic cut. He did not see his shoes and cannot describe the colour or form of the same.

• He states that the child was female, about four years of age as she was similar to his granddaughter of the same age. It was a child of normal complexion, about a metre in height. The child has blonde medium-hued hair, without being very light. Her skin was very white, typical of a Brit. He did not look at her eyes. As she was asleep and her eyelids were closed.

• She was wearing light-coloured pyjamas. He cannot state with certainty the colour. She was not covered by any other cover or sheet. He cannot confirm whether she was barefoot but in his group, they spoke about the child having no cover on her feet.

• Urged, he states that the individual did not appear to be a tourist. He cannot explain this further. It was simply his perception given the individual's clothing. He states that the individual carried the child in his arms, with her head laying on the individual's shoulders to the right of the deponent. He adds that he did not hold the child in a comfortable position.

• Having already seen various photographs of MADELEINE alongside her images on television, states that she may have been the child he saw. He cannot state this as fact but is convinced that it could have been MADELEINE. Indeed, this is the opinion of his family.

• Questioned, says that the individual did not speak nor did the child as she was in a deep sleep.

• States that it is not possible to recognise the individual in person or by photograph.

• Adds that in May and August of 2006, he saw ROBERT MURAT in Praia da Luz bars. On one of these occasions, he was inebriated and spoke to everyone. He did not use glasses at this time. He also states that the individual who carried the child was not ROBERT. He would have recognised him immediately.

• At being asked, states that he was accompanied by his wife, MARY SMITH and his son, PETER SMITH, his daughter-in-law, S***, and his grandchildren of 13 and 6 years of age (children of PETER) T**** and C***, his daughter AOIFE (12 years of age) and his other two grandchildren (A******* (10 years old) and E***** (four years old). These are children of his daughter B***** who was in Ireland.

• States also that when he passed this individual mid-street, traffic is minimal or non-existent.

• He adds that the group passed him some metres away so that they could make out the individual from various distinct positions.

• He has added a sketch indicating the direction of the locale and the sighting.

• He has no other elements to offer the investigation.

• And nothing more was said. He reads and finds it in conformity, ratifies and signs together with the interpreter.

Smith Family Witness Statements

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARTIN_SMITH.html

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id162.html

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:45:52 PM by Wonderfulspam »
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Wonderfulspam

Re: Smith Man
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 11:27:04 AM »

6th June 2007

Drogheda Independent

Local family may have seen missing Maddy

By Angela McCormick

A DROGHEDA family may have been the last people to see abducted four-year-old Madeleine McCann in Portugal.

The family is understood to have seen a child in the arms of a man on the night and at the time Madeleine was taken from her parents' apartments in Praia Da Luz.

They have reported the matter and recently gave statements to the Portuguese police.

The Portuguese police have asked the family not to speak to the press in case they compromise their investigations.

The family declined to give any details to the Drogheda Independent.

Portuguese police are convinced that the child, who vanished during a family holiday in the Algarve on May 3, was abducted.

A number of Drogheda-based families holiday in the nearby Estrela Da Luz apartments, part of a complex built by Drogheda man Gerry Fagan of Oceanico Developments.

'Estrela Da Luz is just around the corner from Praia Da Luz. Loads of Drogheda people go there. It is an absolute paradise,' said Jem O'Neill, a regular visitor.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:47:25 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 11:33:22 AM »
3rd January 2008

Daily Mirror

Maddy: We saw abduction

A family who may have seen Madeleine McCann being abducted could provide vital evidence in the search for the missing four-year-old.

The group saw a man walking towards the beach in Praia da Luz while carrying a child at the time Madeleine vanished, exactly eight months ago.

Portuguese police have taken statements from the family, who live in Drogheda, Ireland.

Now detectives hired by Madeleine's parents want to speak to Martin Smith and his family. The Smiths were leaving Kelly's Bar just before 10pm when they saw a man carrying a child 500 yards from the McCanns' apartment.

Kate McCann, 39, raised the alarm about her missing daughter at around 10pm.

The Smiths are thought to have described the man as white and 5ft 7in to 5ft 9in tall. His top clothing was obscured by the child. That description matches a suspect seen walking away from the apartment at about 9.15pm by Jane Tanner, a member of the "Tapas Seven" group of friends who were on holiday with the McCanns.

She saw a man carrying a child wearing pink pyjamas similar to those worn by Madeleine.

The McCanns' spokesman said yesterday: "Our detectives are being very methodical and I am quite sure that this family will be on their list."

The eight-month deadline means suspect Robert Murat, 34, hopes to be formally cleared today.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/01/03/maddy-we-saw-abduction-89520-20272911/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:35:51 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 11:38:59 AM »
3rd January 2008

Daily Mail

Maddie: Irishman provides dramatic new clues  

EXCLUSIVE: Tourist met rude man carrying child in blanket on night Madeleine vanished

AN IRISH holidaymaker has spoken publicly for the first time of his disturbing encounter with a man carrying a child wrapped in a blanket on the night Madeleine McCann disappeared.

Now investigators hired by Madeleine's parents hope Martin Smith and his family can provide a crucial breakthrough.

Speaking from his home in Drogheda, Co. Louth, Mr Smith recalled the sighting, which is strikingly similar to one by a friend of the McCanns, Jane Tanner. In hindsight, the retired Mr Smith said, the mans rude behaviour should have aroused his suspicions.

He explained: "The one thing we noted afterwards was that he gave us no greeting.

"My wife Mary remembered afterwards that she asked him, 'Oh, is she asleep?' But he never acknowledged her one way or another.

"He just put his head down and averted his eyes. This is very unusual in a tourist town at such a quiet time of the year."

Their description of the barefoot child and the man, who wore beige trousers, echoes that of Miss Tanner, who said she saw a man carrying a sleeping child away from the McCanns apartment about 9.15pm.

Though the Smith family believe they met an almost identical man closer to 10pm, the coincidence prompted them to contact police after they returned to Ireland. Mr Smith said: "Luz is such a small place and so quiet, we felt a duty to tell police and let them decide if it was important."

Last night, McCann family spokesman Clarence Mitchell said detectives from the Spanish agency Metodo 3 now hoped to speak to the family. "Metodo 3 is being very methodical, working through a number of people they think might be able to help them, and this family will be on their list."

On the night of the disappearance, Mr Smith was dining with his wife in the Dolphin restaurant in Praia Da Luz, where they are frequent visitors.

The couple were with their daughter Aoife, their son Peter and his wife Sile,as well as four grandchildren Tadhg, Cole, Aisling and Eimear.

All nine met the man holding a child but their recollection differs slightly from Miss Tanner's.

"In the image she gave, the man was holding the child forward in his arms. The man we saw had put the child over his shoulders. But Luz was very, very quiet at that time of the year and the likelihood of two young children being carried around like this is very small.

"Also, our timings are a bit different. She saw the man at 9.15pm. We say 9.45or 9.50pm and the sighting was only a five-minute walk from where the child was staying.

"I dont know if this information will help the McCanns. We kept interested in whats going on but we tried to avoid the limelight."

The father of six yesterday said the Irish family would do anything they could to help the McCanns find their missing daughter.

"We have not been contacted by the private detective hired by the McCanns, and have had no contact with the investigating police since May 26 last year.

"But anything we can do to help try to solve it, we will." Recalling the event she witnessed, Mr Smith said it was some time before the family realised they could be star witnesses

"We were out the night it happened. My son and his family were leaving on the Friday and we were going for a family meal. We went home about 9.50pm and we heard nothing at all about Madeleine McCann until the next day.

"I was taking my son Peter to the airport and on my way back, I heard that a kidnapping had happened in the village of Luz.

"We were looking at all the commotion on Sky News and we really felt quite helpless.

"We had two grandchildren with us at the time, aged four and five, and it had a terrible effect on them.

"They all wanted to sleep in the same room as us until we went home on the Wednesday.

"We were home two weeks when my son rang up and asked was he dreaming or did we meet a man carrying a child the night Madeleine was taken. We all remembered that we had the same recollection. I felt we should report it to the police.

"I rang the Portuguese police and they took a statement from me on the phone.Then they asked me to make a statement to gardai, which I did in Drogheda two weeks after the disappearance.

"Two days later, Leicestershire police got on to us and said they wanted to speak to all nine of us. But we felt there was no point dragging grand children and the whole lot out to Portugal so just my eldest son, Peter, and youngest daughter, Aoife, and I flew to Luz to make a statement.

"The police were fairly busy and the station was pretty typical. They didnt seem to be the most efficient police you ever came across but they are probably no different to police anywhere else. We were interviewed separately and told them what we saw, and showed them on the map where we met the man and child.

"We spent the whole day there from 10.30am to 7pm with an interpreter. That day, May 26 last year, was the last time we had any contact with the investigation.I remember clearly because it was my wedding anniversary.

"I told them we went for dinner at the Dolphin Restaurant and then went on to have just one drink in Kelly's bar, just 50 yards away.

"We would normally have stayed out longer but my son and his family were going home the next day.

"As we made our way back to our apartment in Estrella da Luz, we met a guy with a child that appeared to be asleep.

"It looked like a blonde child, and I thought she might be four years old, as she was the same size as my grandchild who was with us.

"It was around 9.55pm and it was getting dark and he was looking downward so I couldnt tell you exactly what he looked like.

"None of us was 100 per cent sure what he was wearing but we all told police he was wearing beige trousers and a darker top. We all put him in his early 40s. I didnt think he was Portuguese." Insisting he knew chief suspect Robert Murat visually for years, Mr Smith told police the person he saw carrying a child could not be him.

"I told police it was definitely not him because the man wasn't as big as Murat. I think I would have definitely recognised him."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:35:25 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »
9th January 2008

Drogheda Independent

Local family's anguish over 'Maddy' sighting

Madeleine (4) vanished on May 3rd last while her family were on holiday in the Portuguese resort of Praia Da Luz.

The Drogheda family, who first spoke to the Drogheda Indpendent last August, say despite current media reports that they will be contacted by the detective agency hired by parents Gerry and Kate McCann to find the missing toddler, no one has been in contact with them. 'We are willing to talk to anyone but our information is vague. It cuts us up that we can't be of more help but what we saw is not going to crack the case,' Peter Smith told the Drogheda Independent.

The Drogheda family, Peter, his wife Sheila and their two children Tadgh (13) and Cole (6), along with grandparents Martin and Mary Smith, were holidaying in the same resort at the time of Madeleine's disappearance.

Returning from a night out the family saw a sleeping child in the arms of a man, on the night the toddler was taken from her parents apartment. 'It was our last night. We left the restaurant early because my wife, who was expecting our third child at the time was feeling unwell.

On the way back to our apartment we saw a man walking down towards the beach with a child in his arms. It's a common enough sight in a holiday resort and we didn't think much of it. In fact it was only after we were home two weeks that I remembered seeing him. At the time my attention was focused on looking after my wife,' Peter, who lives in Greenhills, explained. 'When I mentioned it, it jogged my father's memory and he too remembered seeing the same man,' Peter added.

The family made a statement to the Gardaí who then contacted the Portuguese police. 'About three to four weeks after Madeleine disappeared we travelled back to Portugal and gave a description of the man in a statement to the police there,' said Peter.

Since then the family have heard nothing, from either the Portuguese police or the detectives agency Metodo 3, hired by her family to find Madeleine. 'We knew that what we had seen was so vague that we couldn't identify the guy. However we are willing to help in any way that we can if we are contacted,' the Drogheda man stressed.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:52:10 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »
7th July 2008

Correio da Manhã

Irishman saw Gerry carry Maddie

Martin Smith, an Irishman, told the Polícia Judiciária that he saw a man carrying a child, that looked like Maddie to him, approximately around supper time on the 3rd of May.

The deposition of the witness was collected right at the beginning of the investigation, but the lack of complementary elements about the individual who was carrying the child did not lead the investigators to other diligences.

Days later, already back in his home country, Martin Smith contacted the Irish authorities. He asserted that when he saw the case on television and at the moment when he saw Gerry's face for the first time, when he was descending from an airplane, he had no doubts left. The man who carried the child on the day of the disappearance was her father.

The information was sent to the Portuguese authorities during a phase when the PJ still centered the process on the abduction theory. And, according to the final report, the lead was not followed up because at the time when Martin says he saw Gerry, the latter was having dinner at the Tapas Restaurant.

What the investigators established later on was that, after all, the reconstruction of the evening that was sustained by the group, was not straightforward. In truth, nobody knows at exactly what time each element of the group was present at the restaurant, given the fact that several of the English got up from the table in a more or less alternate manner during the dinner at the Ocean Club.

The PJ later equated the hearing of the witness through a rogatory letter. But the diligence ended up not being carried out, given the fact that without complimentary evidence, no results would be reached anyway.

http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/noticia.aspx?contentid=86EDED33-F589-41A5-8886-A96815904939&channelid=00000009-0000-0000-0000-000000000009
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:34:37 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 11:52:36 AM »
5th August 2008

BBC News

Police files give McCanns 'hope'

(extract)
Other new information revealed in the files includes the account of one witness who reported seeing a man carrying a young girl with blonde hair on the night of the disappearance. He later told the police the man could have been Madeleine's father.

Martin Smith, 58, on holiday at the time, was interviewed by detectives in Portugal and his native Ireland but the line of inquiry was later discarded.

Four months after his initial statement Mr Smith contacted the police to say he had seen Madeleine's parents arriving back in Britain on BBC News, and the way Mr McCann carried one of the couple's twins reminded him of the man he had seen in Portugal.

When detectives replayed video footage of the couple's arrival at East Midlands airport, the witness said he was 60-80% sure that the man he passed was Gerry McCann.

But this was later dismissed by prosecutors because at the time of the reported sighting, shortly before 2200, Gerry McCann was sitting in the Ocean Club's tapas bar with other members of his party.

Many other reported sightings were listed in the files, including one report in which a little girl calling herself "Maddy" claimed to a shop worker in Amsterdam that she had been taken from her mother on holiday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7543064.stm
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:33:28 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
10th August 2008

Irish Mail on Sunday

Drogheda businessman told police he saw Gerry McCann carrying a child towards the beach the day Maddie disappeared

Father-of-six gave garda a signed statement saying he and his wife were ''60 to 80% sure'' that the man they saw holding the child was Maddie's father.

The claim, which was taken seriously by the Portuguese police, was made almost four months after Maddie disappeared on May 3rd this year.

Since then the McCanns have been totally exonerated of any involvement.

Mr. Smith had initally told police he had seen a man carrying a child that night, but that he couldn't identify him because he had not been wearing his glasses. The following September, however, the businessman saw clips of the McCanns returning from their holidays and said the footage of Mr McCann carrying his younger child had instantly reminded him of the mystery man.

''I would be 60 to 80% sure that it was Gerry McCann that I met that night carrying a child," Mr Smith said in his statement. ''It was the way Mr. McCann turned his head down that was similar... It may have been the way he was carrying his child.

''I am basing this on his mannerism, in the way he carried the child off the plane.''

Mr Smith's claim was passed to the Portuguese police who took it as more evidence in support of their mistaken belief that the McCanns had something to do with their daughter's disappearence.

Friends of the McCann family said last night that the decision of the Portuguese police to pursue Mr Smith's claims prove that they were determined to pin the blame on Maddie's parents come what may.

One said ''Look at the facts. This man sees an individual carrying a child on the night Madeleine vanished. He waits 13 days to report this to the police, going back to Ireland.

"The McCanns returning to England - It was this image that alerted Mr Smith in the meantime. At this stage he admits he has no idea who the man is, other than a basic description. A further three, almost four months go by before, after seeing him on television, he feels it could be Gerry.

''By now the police have dozens of statements putting Gerry back at the apartment complex at that time. Yet the Portuguese ask a combination of the Leicestershire police and the Garda to re-interview this witness. About what??

''And why? The truth is that this is part of the victimisation of Gerry and Kate which has gone on from the very beginning by the Portuguese,who were clearly desperate to get something against them."

The extraordinary saga began on the night of May 3rd 2007, as Martin and his wife, Mary, walked back from a local pub in Praia da Luz to their apartment with members of his family. They had decided to return to their apartment within an hour of dining out becasue their son, Peter, was catching an early morning flight the next day.

As they made their way back, they crossed paths with a slim man with a full head of chestnut coloured hair and dressed in beige trousers coming in the opposite direction.

It was 9.55 pm and the man was carrying a sleeping little blonde girl of about 4-years of age. The child's head was was resting on the man's left shoulder.

At this stage Maddie had already disappeared but the Smiths were unaware that a child had gone missing from PDL.

It was not until the following morning that a family member living in Ireland told them of Madeleine's disappearence. Mr Smith returned to Ireland six days after the litle girl went missing and it was another 2 weeks before he travelled back to Portugal to make a statement about what he saw that night.

In the statement to Portuguese police on May 26th, the grandfather -who wears glasses but was not wearing them at the night in question - said he would not be able to identify the man he saw.

Significantly though he was able to tell Police that the man was not Robert Murat, as he had met him on a number of previous occasions.

After making his statement, Mr Smtih returned to Drogheda and it was not until four months later that that he made contact with the police again.

This weekend, Mr Smith's wife Mary told the Mail on Sunday her husband had no regrets about coming forward.

He [Martin] doesn't want to talk, said Mrs Smith. He said what he had to say. I was with him [that night]. We saw a man carrying a child and that's all we know. We told them all that and that's it.

''The man he saw had the same stature as Gerry McCann. We felt we had to help. We're happy we did. We reported exactly what we saw.

"We only did what we thought was right for a missing girl and our hearts are breaking for her parents, as it would be if it were one of ours.

''I feel very much for them [the McCanns]. I have six grandchildren of my own and six children of my own.

"The poor McCann family must be heartbroken.''

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:32:18 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 12:18:52 PM »
9th October 2013

Sky News

Madeleine McCann Police To Make New Appeal

Scotland Yard detectives investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann are due to release an e-fit image of a new suspect. Sky's Martin Brunt reports.

http://news.sky.com/story/1152167/madeleine-mccann-police-probe-possible-suspect

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:31:41 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 12:23:43 PM »
9th October 2013

Daily Mirror

New Madeleine McCann e-fit of kidnap suspect could be very significant

There are lots of stones left unturned. It's good Scotland Yard have got the case by the scruff of the neck with a new e-fit.

The new e-fit of a Madeleine McCann kidnap suspect due to be unveiled could be very significant.

However, there may be a problem with accuracy if this was drawn from a recent description from a witness who saw something five years ago.

You have to take into account the length of time between when the witnesses saw what they saw and when the e-fit was prepared.

E-fits can be very, very useful. I've been involved in a couple of cases where we've found a suspect and there's a striking resemblance.

But if the witness is off target it can send police in the wrong direction.

There are certain rules you have to follow like how long a witness saw the suspect for, how near the suspect was, how clear their view was and how light it was.

If there's more than one witness you can compare their accounts but you still have to work within a legal system. It's got to be able to stand up in court.

There will be someone in the force trained to organise witnesses and glean as much information from them as possible.

What you can do now with e-fits is phenomenal. It's really improved over time. It's much better than the old photo-fits.

There are lots of stones left unturned. It's good Scotland Yard have got the case by the scruff of the neck.

I'm sure there are plenty of leads the Met Police are following that the Portuguese police didn't manage to.

I would like to be optimistic. My gut feeling is she's still alive. The next step will be finding a name and if that name is significant.

If someone comes up with a name, and that person can be placed at the scene or nearby, that's a bonus.

The police may already have a suspect in mind and they want witnesses to come forward and corroborate what one witness has already told them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-madeleine-mccann-e-fit-kidnap-2355122#ixzz2hG2uGS8z
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:31:05 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 12:27:36 PM »
10th October 2013

Daily Mirror

Madeleine McCann: Release of first suspect e-fit by British police takes investigation to new level

New hope for Gerry and Kate McCann as Met Police are believed to be focusing their investigation on one man

Six years after Madeleine McCann vanished, the search for the culprits has taken a major leap forward.

It emerged yesterday that British detectives are preparing to release their first e-fit since taking up the hunt for her.

The image is of a man who is a new suspect in the probe.

After receiving information from fresh witnesses, Met police are believed to be focusing their investigation on the man.

Madeleine was three in 2007 when she vanished from her family's holiday apartment in the Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz while her parents Kate and Gerry were at a nearby restaurant.

The e-fit created by Scotland Yard, which launched its probe three months ago, is expected to be featured on Monday night during a Crimewatch appeal for help to track down whoever took the girl.

The Met team, led by Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood, has worked with the BBC TV show on a reconstruction of the events leading up to the disappearance.

Chiefs would not comment on the significance of the e-fit, but vowed to "release the relevant material at the relevant time".

The force added it was planning "a series of public appeals" in various countries.

A statement said: "We are not prepared to discuss, comment or speculate on the content of the upcoming appeal in relation to the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

"This has been weeks in the planning and each element of the investigation must be set into the overall context of the appeal."

The man officers are hunting was apparently near the flat at around the time Madeleine vanished.

This potential breakthrough is believed to have been warmly welcomed by the McCanns who are confident the search for their daughter is progressing.

In the years since Madeleine was taken, Kate and Gerry, both 45, of Rothley, Leics, have released various e-fits of potential suspects.

They included a man with buck teeth seen at the flat in the days before the McCanns arrived.

In 2011 the Met launched Operation Grange, a review of Madeleine's case, after complaints about the efforts of Portuguese police.

Then in July this year the review became a full-blown Scotland Yard inquiry.

Six Portuguese detectives based in Faro, in southern Portugal, are helping the Met by carrying out investigations on its behalf.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-british-detectives-release-2355810
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:30:42 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 12:34:40 PM »
10th October 2013

Daily Express

Madeleine McCann police have new suspect

A NEW image of a potential suspect for the kidnap of Madeleine McCann could provide a dramatic breakthrough in the case.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/435689/Madeleine-McCann-police-have-new-suspect
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:30:18 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 12:50:30 PM »
13th October 2013

The Sunday Telegraph

Reconstruction of the disappearance of Madeleine McCann to be shown on Crimewatch

The BBC's Crimewatch will broadcast a 25-minute reconstruction of the events surrounding Madeleine McCann's disappearance

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/madeleinemccann/10375101/Reconstruction-of-the-disappearance-of-Madeleine-McCann-to-be-shown-on-Crimewatch.html

Sunday Express

EXCLUSIVE: Events and timings on night Madeleine McCann vanished under 'intense scrutiny'

THE known events surrounding the disappearance of Madeleine McCann are wrong, Scotland Yard sensationally announced last night.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436291/EXCLUSIVE-Events-and-timings-on-night-Madeleine-McCann-vanished-under-intense-scrutiny?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-uk-news+%28Daily+Express+%3A%3A+UK+Feed%29
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:29:50 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 12:56:19 PM »
14th October 2013

Irish Central

Irish couple key witnesses as British police launch new enquiry into Madeleine McCann case

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/irish-couple-key-witnesses-as-british-police-launch-new-enquiry-into-madeleine-mccann-case-227647711-237782841.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Irish Sun

We saw him carrying girl like Maddie down empty side street

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/5199791/We-saw-him-carrying-girl-like-Maddie-down-empty-side-street.html

The Guardian

British detectives release efits of Madeleine McCann suspect
Despite being placed at the crime scene by two people on the night in question the man has never come forward

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/oct/14/british-detectives-efits-madeleine-mccann-suspect?CMP=twt_fd

The Telegraph

Madeleine McCann: E-fits of 'suspect' released

Detectives hunting for missing Madeleine McCann have issued two images of a man they urgently want to trace as part of the investigation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/madeleinemccann/10375936/Madeleine-McCann-E-fits-of-suspect-released.html

Madeleine McCann Suspect's E-Fit Released

http://news.sky.com/story/1154059/madeleine-mccann-suspects-e-fit-released
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:29:23 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:29:01 PM by Wonderfulspam »