Author Topic: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?  (Read 137834 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2018, 05:01:55 PM »
Do you have a pathological hatred of old people by any chance?  You do seem to enjoy trotting out the stereotypes.  I take it from your response then that you are satisfied with the laws as they stand and that should allow any concerned members of the public  to compile dossiers on any activity they consider worth further investigation and pass it on to the police and/or media.

I believe, as I have consistently said, that any information passed on to the police should be dealt with by the police and until a decision on their part is made there should be no part played by the media. If BL had been found to have performed an unlawful act then I would have had no issue with the involvement of the media but that  wasn’t allowed to happen. The reason why we can only guessed at.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline misty

« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2018, 05:02:51 PM »
Right for all of the supporters saying Brenda gave her name to Martin Brunt.

No she did not. That was give by the dossier gatherers.  Here is my cite

A dossier compiled by a third party came into Martin Brunt's hands. He was not willing to say where the dossier had come from.

Martin Brunt was asked how did he make the connection between the dossier and @sweepyface as she was not named and there was no indication of a name and address.

One of his sources told him that she was Brenda Leyland and Leicester(shire/area?)

Brunt said he had done basic Internet searches and found two Brenda Leyland's in Leicester.

http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/Brenda_Leyland.htm

So Martin Brunt was given her name and her county.  Hardly he found her all by himself. Even he has said that he only did basic internet searches to find. He was given her on a plate IMO.

Did Martin Brunt ever converse with Brenda on twitter. I have read her tweets and seen no replies from Brunty and a mention that he was following her.

So IMO unless someone can provide cites there is no evidence that Brenda had any idea that Martin Brunt was taking any interest in her apart from following her on twitter.

Have you considered Brunt's source for Brenda's details may have been Sonia Poulton, another Sky employee?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2018, 05:03:25 PM »
I believe she had been estranged from her own son for quite some time.
This must have caused her huge heartache.
She had attempted suicide before.

She seemed a sad lady who filled her time in obsessive tweeting and posting about the family of a missing child.
I've googled her name and many of her tweets appeared, one in particular about how she hates the McCanns.
Such a pity that she couldn't find a more worthwhile cause.
All very sad.

Your faux sympathy does you no credit.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2018, 05:04:31 PM »
The only way the McCanns would have known about her tweets directed at them would be if they went searching for them or were told.  She was harmless really and didn't deserve what happened to her.  She was to be pitied more than anything imo

Harmless but more importantly, in the eyes of the law, innocent of any wrongdoing.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2018, 05:06:53 PM »
I believe, as I have consistently said, that any information passed on to the police should be dealt with by the police and until a decision on their part is made there should be no part played by the media. If BL had been found to have performed an unlawful act then I would have had no issue with the involvement of the media but that  wasn’t allowed to happen. The reason why we can only guessed at.
So therefore do you believe the law needs to be changed, and if you belive the dossier makers are complicit in Brenda’s death are you not concerned that they have not been prosecuted for a criminal act themselves?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2018, 05:07:12 PM »

Have you considered Brunt's source for Brenda's details may have been Sonia Poulton, another Sky employee?

I believe SP is freelance and why in heaven’s name would she pass on BL’s details to Brunt ? Was she even aware of NL at the time ?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2018, 05:09:10 PM »
Harmless but more importantly, in the eyes of the law, innocent of any wrongdoing.
But Brenda did set out to harm, to harm the reputation of at least three people using tweets to do so.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2018, 05:09:58 PM »
So therefore do you believe the law needs to be changed, and if you belive the dossier makers are complicit in Brenda’s death are you not concerned that they have not been prosecuted for a criminal act themselves?

No the law doesn’t need to be changed. Certain individuals simply need to grow a conscience.

Did I say criminally complicit ?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2018, 05:12:47 PM »
The case of Brenda Leyland and the McCanns is a thoroughly modern tale of internet lawlessness

You can’t accuse a TV reporter of ‘hounding’ someone who is guilty of trolling

Grace Dent
Monday 6 October 2014 18:25

The circumstances around the death of Brenda Leyland, whose body was found in a Leicester hotel room this weekend, are all at once sad, complex, divisive and thoroughly modern.

Ms. Leyland, I cannot help but feel, is yet another victim of what I’ve termed “the internet wild west era” in which we’re living. The rules of civility are yet to be established. We’re naught but electronic guinea pigs. One man’s “troll” is another man’s prophet of truth. One woman’s systematic campaign of abuse is another woman’s brave battle to be heard.

Ms Leyland was doorstepped last week by Martin Brunt from Sky News over her alleged obsessive and relentless Twtter campaign to expose what she felt was “the truth” about Madeleine McCann’s parents Gerry and Kate.

A Twitter account by the handle @sweepyface had tweeted over 4,300 times supporting its firm - albeit incorrect - view that the McCanns are implicated nefariously in their daughter’s disappearance. The account’s contempt and anger for the McCanns was multi-faceted, inexhaustible, and at times breathtakingly unpleasant.

Mr Brunt took pains in his report to say that @sweepyface was not the worst offender. This I believe, as over many years I’ve noticed the anti-McCann conspiracy theory lobby to be some of the most furious, combative and unsettling message-propellers one might come across.

The McCann conspiracy theory is the perfect tinderbox for internet trolls. It involves a child’s disappearance, a possible paedophile bogeyman, a £2m fund with accusations of misuse, plus handily placed daft foreigners open to accusations of fecklessness and corruption. But more than this the McCann case appeals to firmly entrenched class war tensions that these evil middle class folk are able to pull strings or use their money or power to cover something up. I cannot remember blame and spite directed at Jamie Bulger’s mother or Sarah Payne’s grandparents alleging that it was flaws in their attention which had led to utter woe. In these cases, empathy and compassion were abundant.

Yet there is something about doctors eating patatas bravas within metres of sleeping children which drove Twitter accounts like @sweepyface to a bleak place. The @sweepyface account begged for attention endlessly - from like-minded people, from detractors, from journalists and from TV people. Matthew Wright received many tweets, Matin Brunt also – and with this in mind Brunt approached Ms Leyland to allot her just this - attention.

But, as I say, we’re in the wild west. While @sweepyface was desperate for exposure, Ms Leyland did not welcome it at all. While @sweepyface may have been in her element flinging around accusations, gossip and provoking ill-will, the real life Ms. Leyland met Mr Brunt’s request for a comment with a firm No and an attempt to disappear into her car.

Mr. Brunt is now being accused by some sections of “hounding” Ms. Leyland to her death. This seems extreme. Reporters have been doorstepping people and requesting answers on British television for the past 50 years. Are we now saying that in this new internet age, any person who draws attention to themselves vehemently but anonymously online is out of bounds for reporters?

Are we saying that we must accept that internet users working anonymously to spread misery are most probably mentally delicate and fuelled on their own shortcomings, so let’s leave be? Should a person's privacy be respected even if their modus operandi is disrespecting privacy? The only certainty this incident has underlined is we have no strong idea how to tackle harmful internet unpleasantness, aside from “ignore”.

There should be more help, support, understanding and escape routes offered to people living angrily behind keyboards. Their numbers are growing. In our ever web-dependent, fresh-air lacking, screen-chained world, we’re all more powerful, more superhuman behind our laptops in bed at midnight than we ever could be in real life.

And being an internet idiot, even just momentarily, is in all our sights. When we’re safely miles away from our target, we feel righteous, war-like, invincible and remorseless over our ability to wound. Ms. Leyland’s meeting with Mr Brunt was a reminder that when human beings propel anger electronically, the last thing they want is to be greeted with is a human face.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-case-of-brenda-leyland-and-the-mccanns-is-a-thoroughly-modern-tale-of-internet-lawlessness-9778262.html

"Matthew Wright received many tweets, Martin Brunt also ..."  If that is true and I have no doubt it is ... what on earth is this thread really about?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline misty

« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2018, 05:13:24 PM »
I believe SP is freelance and why in heaven’s name would she pass on BL’s details to Brunt ? Was she even aware of NL at the time ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNJ7aDmcuG4

Note the date on the video. How did Sonia know her own details were in the dossier?

Offline Erngath

« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2018, 05:14:11 PM »
Your faux sympathy does you no credit.

I have three sons and if I was estranged from one of them I would be heartbroken..
This must have made her very sad.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:49:23 PM by John »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2018, 05:18:54 PM »
No the law doesn’t need to be changed. Certain individuals simply need to grow a conscience.

Did I say criminally complicit ?
So you think being concerned by the unrelenting hateful campaign against the McCanns and sending a dossier about it to the media indicates a lack of conscience do you?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2018, 05:19:56 PM »
But Brenda did set out to harm, to harm the reputation of at least three people using tweets to do so.

Catch yourself on.

https://www.femalefirst.co.uk/womens-issues/brenda-leyland-wasnt-troll-didnt-deserve-die-544755.html

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2018, 05:26:06 PM »
So you think being concerned by the unrelenting hateful campaign against the McCanns and sending a dossier about it to the media indicates a lack of conscience do you?

I think the dossier compilers suffered from a lack of judgement fuelled by self-importance. I think Martin Brunt showed a lack of conscience....for heaven’s sake the woman told him she had thought of suicide over the doorstepping and yet he still ran the VT.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2018, 05:27:21 PM »
Catch yourself on.

https://www.femalefirst.co.uk/womens-issues/brenda-leyland-wasnt-troll-didnt-deserve-die-544755.html
What does “catch yourself on” mean?  And what is the relevance of this article to my post? The blog even agrees that she was involved in a lot of mud slinging and could have found herself up to her neck in legal issues - what would they be then?  I am correct when I say Brenda set out to cause further harm to reputations, not least of whom was Amy Tierney’s a perfectly innocent young woman.  Do you approve of individuals being defamed in such a  manner?