Author Topic: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?  (Read 136942 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?
« Reply #585 on: August 23, 2018, 01:18:14 PM »
The whole point of the debate is to challenge the content and not the member. This is all you have done since you 'arrived'.

Nothing wrong  with highlighting abuse... I certainly support it... But I don't have any hatred towards Brenda... More sympathy  for her unhappiness with her life
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 02:48:50 PM by Angelo222 »

Offline Sunny

« Reply #586 on: August 23, 2018, 01:20:16 PM »
Haven't you noticed that I am being pursued by a poster whose request for a cite was complied with but continues in his/her demand for a cite because the cites I provided didn't for some obscure reason suit?

This "cite" business is becoming rather ridiculous in my opinion when it is misused in the way it is currently being abused on the forum:  it appears to me to be the concerted reflex action of choice to disrupt and goad.

In my opinion we have already had two examples of this already today.

In my opinion it is rather becoming a pattern.

I suppose it depends upon the person as to what is "ridiculous". You implied that Brenda pretty much spent all her time on the internet making posts about the McCanns but you haven't been able to provide a cite.

According to the rules here you could  alter your post and say it was your opinion or provide a cite but without either think you malign Brenda Leyland by implying what you have without any evidence.

You say I am pursuing you for a cite but how many posts last night did Davel make to G-unit for a cite. Considerably more than 3 IMO.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #587 on: August 23, 2018, 01:35:41 PM »
The 'cite' becomes an issue when it is made up or it is an opinion dressed as fact.

Brenda has nothing to apologise for imo. She broke no laws. I am of the opinion the pressure and global publicity was instrumental in her becoming 'cornered' as she may not have wanted her family subjected to that kind of exposure.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 02:52:12 PM by Angelo222 »
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Erngath

« Reply #588 on: August 23, 2018, 01:39:41 PM »

I think that is the description of a sceptic

Probably.
But if all someone has are doubts, should they act on those doubts in the way that Brenda and others did and still do?
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline jassi

« Reply #589 on: August 23, 2018, 01:46:57 PM »

Probably.
But if all someone has are doubts, should they act on those doubts in the way that Brenda and others did and still do?

That's for the individual to decide. I limit my action to posting on a relatively benign and ineffectual forum

Hardly world shattering
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #590 on: August 23, 2018, 01:48:05 PM »

The 'cite' becomes an issue when it is made up or it is an opinion dressed as fact. The supporters really do not have a reasoned argument regarding any thread worthy of having a adult debate.  They are preoccupied with attacking the member. Which is interesting as it shows their lack of integrity as to their claim they care about MBM. When ALL the heads turn to attacking witnesses  who do not show the McCanns as  perfect parents who had a wee whoopsie of a mistake.

Brenda has nothing to apologise for. She broke no law. I am of the opinion the pressure and global publicity was instrumental in her becoming 'cornered' as she may not have wanted her family subjected to that kind of exposure.

'Old Dangerous' post about not hating Brenda doesn't fit with the rest of his posts.

Could you show me one post that indicates hate towards Brenda from me... You do post some rubbish

Offline Erngath

« Reply #591 on: August 23, 2018, 01:53:34 PM »
That's for the individual to decide. I limit my action to posting on a relatively benign and ineffectual forum

Hardly world shattering

You are not usually so reticent about giving your opinion on the actions of others.

Offline Gertrude

« Reply #592 on: August 23, 2018, 01:56:09 PM »
We have a free press in this country that it seems you and others, want to suppress.... When it suits you

When have I ever said I want to suppress the press?   I have talked about balance and fairness. Brenda was one ordinary person pitted against the whole of the UK's media with absolutely no warning. It was not balanced or fair in any conceivable way. I don't believe Sky followed their own guidelines or those of OFCOM but they got away with it anyway.

You are the one talking about stopping 'abuse' but you won't even define it.  That's picking and choosing things that you personally dislike said online and thinking you have a right to suppress it even when people have done nothing unlawful. 

Offline jassi

« Reply #593 on: August 23, 2018, 02:01:40 PM »
You are not usually so reticent about giving your opinion on the actions of others.

Indeed and I do it through the medium of this forum. I don't say what others should do
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Sunny

« Reply #594 on: August 23, 2018, 02:05:06 PM »
I see it looks like supporters are trying to put words into sceptics mouths again, on this thread this time.  IMO that is where some of Brenda Leyland's so called worst tweets came from where she partially quoted a McCann supporter I have read.

So my question to you supporters is, are you on a fishing expedition?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 02:13:11 PM by Sunny »
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #595 on: August 23, 2018, 02:08:26 PM »
When have I ever said I want to suppress the press?   I have talked about balance and fairness. Brenda was one ordinary person pitted against the whole of the UK's media with absolutely no warning. It was not balanced or fair in any conceivable way. I don't believe Sky followed their own guidelines or those of OFCOM but they got away with it anyway.

You are the one talking about stopping 'abuse' but you won't even define it.  That's picking and choosing things that you personally dislike said online and thinking you have a right to suppress it even when people have done nothing unlawful.

Just because something is not unlawful  does not mean it isn't wrong... Sometimes it's the law that needs changing... Have you seen brendas tweets... She, was part of a group directing hate, towards the McCann's..  Hatred, was a word she used... That's abusive imo

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #596 on: August 23, 2018, 02:09:59 PM »
Could you show me one post that indicates hate towards Brenda from me... You do post some rubbish

You said she was abusive- and support the dossier compliers and Sky for doorstepping. that is not thw words of someone who sympythises with her is ?

Just a few posts from you. The Brenda thread back at the time of her death is far more revealing. but many of your posts are deleted.

« Reply #508 on: August 22, 2018, 10:55:37 PM »
its quite obvious Leyland was the perpertartor and the mccanns were the victims....

no sympathy here

« Reply #486 on: August 22, 2018, 09:51:09 PM »
Quote from: Miss Taken Identity on August 22, 2018, 09:50:06 PM
cite for supporting online abuse. ta.

do you condemn brenda or not

You seek condemnation of a dead  woman who was  tweeting? not sympathetic here

« Reply #487 on: August 22, 2018, 09:53:07 PM »
Quote from: Sunny on August 22, 2018, 09:49:33 PM

again...do you support the abuse by brenda...'Edited'

You are accusing Brenda of abuse- YOUR interpretation of her tweets- not shwoing sympathy here

Reply #460 on: August 22, 2018, 08:51:50 PM »
I have sympathy with the victims of online abuse but none with the perpertrators...none whatsoever

sympathy?  NONE WHAT SO EVER.  oh dear..

I do not believe you feel sorry for Brenda at all!

'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Gertrude

« Reply #597 on: August 23, 2018, 02:14:12 PM »

I spent many years teaching children from age five to eleven.
Children can often blurt out unkind remarks to each other when they are annoyed or feel they have a grievance .
Much time is spent by the teacher in helping the children to become more mature in their behaviour and to find a better way of handling their sense of grievance.
Hopefully by the time they are adults these children will have developed and matured enough to be able to express their grievances without resorting to unkind and abusive language.

Brenda, in my opinion, felt very aggrieved by the parents of a missing child and handled her grievance in a very immature way.
She certainly had the right to express her doubts about the parents of a missing child but she chose to express those doubts in abusive and menacing language in a public arena.
Like the children, her words may not have been criminal but in my opinion they were wrong.

This is completely subjective again. You thought the language used was 'abusive' and 'menacing', many others didn't. 

At least you admit it was not criminal. So how was doorstepping Brenda justified just because one group of people thought what she said overstepped their own moral standards? 

You mention teaching 5 year olds. To me wanting to police what other adults say lawfully online does seem like a school teacher trying to decide what's best for everyone else. You find what Brenda said 'unkind', that's purely your own moral judgement. How many times have the press said 'unkind' things about people? So the public can't say unkind things but the press can?
 The press being encouraged to exact revenge on ordinary people for uttering things others find 'unkind' is an attack on free speech IMO.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #598 on: August 23, 2018, 02:14:22 PM »
I see it looks like supporters are trying to put words into sceptics mouths again, on this thread this time.  IMO that is where some of Brenda Leyland's so called worst tweets came from where she partially quoted a McCann supporter I have read.

So my question to you supporters is, are you on a fishing expedition?

Can I ask what you mean by your question to supporters?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #599 on: August 23, 2018, 02:14:48 PM »
You said she was abusive- and support the dossier compliers and Sky for doorstepping. that is not thw words of someone who sympythises with her is ?

Just a few posts from you. The Brenda thread back at the time of her death is far more revealing. but many of your posts are deleted.

« Reply #508 on: August 22, 2018, 10:55:37 PM »
its quite obvious Leyland was the perpertartor and the mccanns were the victims....

no sympathy here

« Reply #486 on: August 22, 2018, 09:51:09 PM »
Quote from: Miss Taken Identity on August 22, 2018, 09:50:06 PM
cite for supporting online abuse. ta.

do you condemn brenda or not

You seek condemnation of a dead  woman who was  tweeting? not sympathetic here

« Reply #487 on: August 22, 2018, 09:53:07 PM »
Quote from: Sunny on August 22, 2018, 09:49:33 PM

again...do you support the abuse by brenda...'Edited'

You are accusing Brenda of abuse- YOUR interpretation of her tweets- not shwoing sympathy here

Reply #460 on: August 22, 2018, 08:51:50 PM »
I have sympathy with the victims of online abuse but none with the perpertrators...none whatsoever

sympathy?  NONE WHAT SO EVER.  oh dear..

I do not believe you feel sorry for Brenda at all!
So I have not used the word hate...and not directed any hatred towards Brenda... As you have implied... Like others, you take my posts out if context but none talk of hate

My post said I have no sympathy for those who post on-line abuse... I don't... I do have sympathy for those who suffer mental illness... In that respect I have sympathy  for Brenda
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 02:21:38 PM by Davel »