Author Topic: The Defence Will State Their Case  (Read 599621 times)

Offline Caroline

Re: The Defence Will State Their Case
« Reply #2895 on: November 10, 2018, 11:30:35 AM »
Read the examples in this article and it might clear things up - https://www.defence-barrister.co.uk/is-it-ever-worth-pleading-guilty/

Offline [...]

« Reply #2896 on: November 10, 2018, 12:56:52 PM »
Read the examples in this article and it might clear things up - https://www.defence-barrister.co.uk/is-it-ever-worth-pleading-guilty/

Basis of Plea Example 1

Stephen Holmes is charged with Assault Occasioning Actual Bodily Harm. The prosecution case is that, following a minor disagreement in the pub, the victim was punched twice in the face, then fell to the ground and was kicked three or four times in the head. The victim sustained a broken nose and facial bruising.

Stephen accepts punching the victim and causing the injuries, but denies that the victim fell over and denies that he kicked the victim to the head. He accepts he is guilty of the offence (by punching twice in the face and causing injury) and sets out his version of events on a ‘Basis of Plea’ document which is handed to the prosecution.

The prosecution do not accept this version of events. Stephen Holmes pleads guilty and the prosecution hand up the Basis of Plea to the judge. The judge takes the view that, since kicking to the head is a serious aggravating factor of an assault, there would be a material difference in the sentence passed on each different basis. For this reason the judge adjourns the case for a Newton Hearing for the prosecution to prove its version against the defendant.

So example 1 appears to be the closest.....  But........ Therefore The Prosecution should have a Basis of Plea.... If again, I am on the correct track....

So if no Basis of Plea is entered into, then a trial will take place..... But then why do we know before hand that the defendant has plead guilty to manslaughter???

Why are we told day in and day out that the defendant plead guilty to manslaughter..... Why do we know via the court case about contempt in July 2011 , that the defendant is guilty!!

And why did Clegg, put him on the stand???

Everyone including myself early on thought that some of the theories leonora put forward were way off base... But I understand completely where he is coming from....

The idea that it wasn't Dr Vincent Tabak who made the plea via the link from Long Lartin, doesn't really seem that far fetched....

I have a problem, with the fact that we all already know that Dr Vincent Tabak has plead guilty to manslaughter.... not only that The defence know this.... Either you have an acceptance of the Manslaughter plea, or a Newton hearing by the judge...

How can a defendant who is known by the public to have admitted to manslaughter then take the stand and tell everyone how he did it????

I keep saying what happened to the presumption of Innocence??  The presumption of Innocence you have when you face a jury??

You can't and shouldn't face a jury.... Guilty, until proven guiltier!!

If I am correct in my understand of my post the other day ,where i questioned why Clegg put him on the stand, then Clegg knowing he had admitted to killing her shouldn't have had him on the stand.....

Sorry Caroline... I must be as thick as two short planks.... I thought the presumption of Innocence was key....

As i look it appears that the old addage of The Presumption of Innocence has been removed.... But had it been removed when Dr Vincent Tabak faced trial??

Whats wrong with this country???

Red-faced Ministry of Justice (MoJ) officials have been forced to deny claims that they had dismantled a centuries-old cornerstone of British law in advice that the ministry gave to people facing criminal trials.

The principle in question is the presumption of a person’s innocence until proved guilty, a right whose origins can be traced back to Magna Carta, which has its 800th anniversary this year.

In an embarrassing turn of events, the department hastily took down its new “easy read” guide, which explains to people with learning difficulties what they can expect if they are accused of a crime and say they are not guilty.But as the legal blogger Jack of Kent explained: “The MoJ tells defendants that they have to prove they are innocent. This is a reversal of the actual burden of proof – it is, of course, for the prosecution to prove to the court a defendant is guilty.”

So we have Dr Vincent Tabak telling the court he did it with no supporting evidence, we have Dr Vincent Tabak solving a crime on his own, by admitting to said crime......

What about the supporting evidence.... What about a jury being prejudiced....  This makes no ****ing sense...

It's so frustrating.....

So example:....

You could badger a defendant.... threaten a defendant.... threaten a defendants family, say deportation.... anything.... not Dr Vincent Tabak persay... anyone....  You could use every trick in the book that the public may not be aware of, and get a man/woman to admit to something they did not do, and get them then to stand up in a court of law and tell a jury that they are guilty, before a jury proves them even guiltier!!!

Them then fearing for the consequences if they do not do this, hoping that they might just get a shorter sentence for something they did not do in a bid to protect themselves or their family....

So have I got that right.....

Dr Vincent Tabak could be a fantasist for all anyone knows.....  I'll keep saying it.... I do not believe he is guilty.... give me proper evidence to support that he did it and I may change my mind....

This case is full on freaky....

ok... I'll let most be happy with what they believe is right in this case.... That they got the right man..... That they are happy that it was decided in July 2011 that Dr Vincent Tabak did indeed kill Joanna Yeates...  Before he went to trial.... before he took the stand and told his version of events.... Before he could retract, said plea...

Lets rejoice on the Great British judicial system, that doesn't give a shit about who's in court.... Nar... lets not bother with who's in the dock....

I know..... why don't we , keep said defendant in custody, without seeing anyone for weeks... keep them in custody, without applying for bail... take them to court several times, without still applying for bail, whilst staying silent on the matter... get everyone to sign a statement of guilt, then keep them on remand until they plead guilty to a lesser charge, then give them a full trial, where they start off as guilty, they then take the stand to tell the jury how they did it and then let a jury decide just how guilty they think said defendant is.....

My goodness.... you save such a lot of time.... and stop the pesky public asking questions they shouldn't ask....

I am speechless!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/feb/01/presumed-guilty-ministry-justice-axes-criminal-trial-advice

Offline [...]

« Reply #2897 on: November 10, 2018, 01:32:40 PM »

#TheLawIsBroken  the famous hashtag on twitter, where everyone tries to point out issues with the law.... What do we tell them??..... don't bother... The Laws not broken... It's fixed!!

Sean Jones

@seanjonesqc
 Nov 3
More
#Barcouncil Western Circuit will be setting up a helpline for victims of harassment.

1 reply 3 retweets 0 likes
Reply 1   Retweet 3   Like   Direct message

Humpty Bumpty

@RealHumptyB
Following Following @RealHumptyB
More
Replying to @seanjonesqc
Better than nothing but wouldn't women lawyers prefer an independent service/helpline? Let's remember this issue affects or has affected women at all levels of the legal profession, incl judges.

I am told many are silenced by fear.

#TheLawIsBroken @MaxHillQC @JudiciaryUK #MeToo

Fear.... wow

Max Hill

@MaxHillQC
 Nov 2
More Max Hill Retweeted CPS
On day two in post, I can see how seriously CPS take the need to get disclosure right, and to make correct fact-specific decisions case by case; and yesterday’s judgment in RvE shows that we do get it right. Our task is to do so every time.Max Hill added,

CPS
Verified account

@cpsuk
An important ruling from the Court of Appeal this week has endorsed @cpsuk guidance that examining digital devices of complainants is not automatically a reasonable line of enquiry for investigators: http://bit.ly/2OiYExu 
13 replies 18 retweets 57 likes
Reply 13   Retweet 18   Like 57   Direct message

Em Smith

@EmFlamingo
Follow Follow @EmFlamingo
More
Replying to @MaxHillQC
Was at a mags trial this week, CPS served unused schedule 20 mins after trial was due to start. Unused flagged information that possibly undermined prosecution case. Result: no evidence offered (CPS knew no chance of adjournment). Happens all the time. #TheLawIsBroken

9:51 AM - 8 Nov 2018

Serving papers late..... where have I heard that before????

Why bother with courts... eh.... why bother anymore.... lets go back eons and just burn them at the stake... That will save so much money time and effort.....

I am beyond perplexed....

I pity anyone who has to deal with our justice system... I pity anyone who finds themselves being accused without proof, I pity anyone who has to try and defend themselves, without the expertise to do so and the money it takes to do so.... Especially when ALL of the evidence isn't forth coming!!!!

https://twitter.com/hashtag/TheLawIsBroken?src=hash

https://twitter.com/RealHumptyB/status/1058669744990154752

https://twitter.com/EmFlamingo/status/1060469794867200000

jixy

« Reply #2898 on: November 10, 2018, 04:49:25 PM »

So example 1 appears to be the closest.....  But........ Therefore The Prosecution should have a Basis of Plea.... If again, I am on the correct track....

So if no Basis of Plea is entered into, then a trial will take place..... But then why do we know before hand that the defendant has plead guilty to manslaughter???

Why are we told day in and day out that the defendant plead guilty to manslaughter..... Why do we know via the court case about contempt in July 2011 , that the defendant is guilty!!

And why did Clegg, put him on the stand???

Everyone including myself early on thought that some of the theories leonora put forward were way off base... But I understand completely where he is coming from....

The idea that it wasn't Dr Vincent Tabak who made the plea via the link from Long Lartin, doesn't really seem that far fetched....

I have a problem, with the fact that we all already know that Dr Vincent Tabak has plead guilty to manslaughter.... not only that The defence know this.... Either you have an acceptance of the Manslaughter plea, or a Newton hearing by the judge...

How can a defendant who is known by the public to have admitted to manslaughter then take the stand and tell everyone how he did it????

I keep saying what happened to the presumption of Innocence??  The presumption of Innocence you have when you face a jury??

You can't and shouldn't face a jury.... Guilty, until proven guiltier!!

If I am correct in my understand of my post the other day ,where i questioned why Clegg put him on the stand, then Clegg knowing he had admitted to killing her shouldn't have had him on the stand.....

Sorry Caroline... I must be as thick as two short planks.... I thought the presumption of Innocence was key....

As i look it appears that the old addage of The Presumption of Innocence has been removed.... But had it been removed when Dr Vincent Tabak faced trial??

Whats wrong with this country???

So we have Dr Vincent Tabak telling the court he did it with no supporting evidence, we have Dr Vincent Tabak solving a crime on his own, by admitting to said crime......

What about the supporting evidence.... What about a jury being prejudiced....  This makes no ****ing sense...

It's so frustrating.....

You could badger a defendant.... threaten a defendant.... threaten a defendants family, say deportation.... anything.... not Dr Vincent Tabak persay... anyone....  You could use every trick in the book that the public may not be aware of, and get a man/woman to admit to something they did not do, and get them then to stand up in a court of law and tell a jury that they are guilty, before a jury proves them even guiltier!!!

Them then fearing for the consequences if they do not do this, hoping that they might just get a shorter sentence for something they did not do in a bid to protect themselves or their family....

Dr Vincent Tabak could be a fantasist for all anyone knows.....  I'll keep saying it.... I do not believe he is guilty.... give me proper evidence to support that he did it and I may change my mind....

ok... I'll let most be happy with what they believe is right in this case.... That they got the right man..... That they are happy that it was decided in July 2011 that Dr Vincent Tabak did indeed kill Joanna Yeates...  Before he went to trial.... before he took the stand and told his version of events.... Before he could retract, said plea...

Lets rejoice on the Great British judicial system, that doesn't give a shit about who's in court.... Nar... lets not bother with who's in the dock....

I know..... why don't we , keep said defendant in custody, without seeing anyone for weeks... keep them in custody, without applying for bail... take them to court several times, without still applying for bail, whilst staying silent on the matter... get everyone to sign a statement of guilt, then keep them on remand until they plead guilty to a lesser charge, then give them a full trial, where they start off as guilty, they then take the stand to tell the jury how they did it and then let a jury decide just how guilty they think said defendant is.....

My goodness.... you save such a lot of time.... and stop the pesky public asking questions they shouldn't ask....

I am speechless!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/feb/01/presumed-guilty-ministry-justice-axes-criminal-trial-advice

Nine sorry but you are over simplifying things.... what happens in a 'normal' trial re bail etc is quite different when someone has been murdered

Not sure where you are getting your info, if its a just a Google search for what happened at a trial. Maybe only look at what happens in a murder trial then you dont get so confused

Offline Caroline

« Reply #2899 on: November 10, 2018, 08:05:01 PM »

So example 1 appears to be the closest.....  But........ Therefore The Prosecution should have a Basis of Plea.... If again, I am on the correct track.... Closest to what/ It's not close to the Tabak case for reasons I already gave! Murder and Manslaughter for DIFFERENT charges!

So if no Basis of Plea is entered into, then a trial will take place..... But then why do we know before hand that the defendant has plead guilty to manslaughter??? Because he told his counsel that he INTENDED to please guilty to manslaughter but the prosecution said NO!

Why are we told day in and day out that the defendant plead guilty to manslaughter..... Why do we know via the court case about contempt in July 2011 , that the defendant is guilty!! No idea what this means?

And why did Clegg, put him on the stand??? Why wouldn't he? It's his right to take the stand

Everyone including myself early on thought that some of the theories leonora put forward were way off base... But I understand completely where he is coming from.... I am sure I wouldn't

The idea that it wasn't Dr Vincent Tabak who made the plea via the link from Long Lartin, doesn't really seem that far fetched.... Yes it does - completely far fetched.

I have a problem, with the fact that we all already know that Dr Vincent Tabak has plead guilty to manslaughter.... not only that The defence know this.... Either you have an acceptance of the Manslaughter plea, or a Newton hearing by the judge... I have already explained that Newton DOES NOT apply here because the crime of MURDER and NOT aggravated manslaughter - it's a different crime altogether!

How can a defendant who is known by the public to have admitted to manslaughter then take the stand and tell everyone how he did it???? He didn't, he was there to defend himself not against  manslaughter charge but a MURDER charge. He wasn't on trial for manslaughter, he was on trial for MURDER!

I keep saying what happened to the presumption of Innocence??  The presumption of Innocence you have when you face a jury?? The presumption of innocence was the presumption of innocence to MURDER

You can't and shouldn't face a jury.... Guilty, until proven guiltier!! But that isn't and was the case - he was by his own admission 'guilty' of manslaughter BUT until convicted, he was innocent (under the law) to the crime of MURDER!

If I am correct in my understand of my post the other day ,where i questioned why Clegg put him on the stand, then Clegg knowing he had admitted to killing her shouldn't have had him on the stand..... No you aren't correct because this was his chance to explain what happened - you talk about fairness but would deny him his opportunity to fight his own corner

Sorry Caroline... I must be as thick as two short planks.... I thought the presumption of Innocence was key.... No need to apologise to me and it is - the key being the presumption of innocent of MURDER not manslaughter (which he had already admitted to)

As i look it appears that the old addage of The Presumption of Innocence has been removed.... But had it been removed when Dr Vincent Tabak faced trial?? Nope

Whats wrong with this country??? Lots but not in this particular case.

So we have Dr Vincent Tabak telling the court he did it with no supporting evidence, we have Dr Vincent Tabak solving a crime on his own, by admitting to said crime...... So people shouldn't be allowed to confess without providing evidence? Seriously?

What about the supporting evidence.... What about a jury being prejudiced....  This makes no ****ing sense... Makes perfect sense

It's so frustrating.....

You could badger a defendant.... threaten a defendant.... threaten a defendants family, say deportation.... anything.... not Dr Vincent Tabak persay... anyone....  You could use every trick in the book that the public may not be aware of, and get a man/woman to admit to something they did not do, and get them then to stand up in a court of law and tell a jury that they are guilty, before a jury proves them even guiltier!!! So, if you big on evidence, where is the evidence that Tabak was pressurised into admitting to manslaughter? He admitted it, he hasn't retracted it and he isn't claiming to be a MOJ

Them then fearing for the consequences if they do not do this, hoping that they might just get a shorter sentence for something they did not do in a bid to protect themselves or their family.... Again evidence?

Dr Vincent Tabak could be a fantasist for all anyone knows.....  I'll keep saying it.... I do not believe he is guilty.... give me proper evidence to support that he did it and I may change my mind.... His admission to ending her life!

ok... I'll let most be happy with what they believe is right in this case.... That they got the right man..... That they are happy that it was decided in July 2011 that Dr Vincent Tabak did indeed kill Joanna Yeates...  Before he went to trial.... before he took the stand and told his version of events.... Before he could retract, said plea... Who said he was retracting anything?

I know..... why don't we , keep said defendant in custody, without seeing anyone for weeks... keep them in custody, without applying for bail... take them to court several times, without still applying for bail, whilst staying silent on the matter... get everyone to sign a statement of guilt, then keep them on remand until they plead guilty to a lesser charge, then give them a full trial, where they start off as guilty, they then take the stand to tell the jury how they did it and then let a jury decide just how guilty they think said defendant is..... But that isn't what happened

My goodness.... you save such a lot of time.... and stop the pesky public asking questions they shouldn't ask.... It's great to ask questions, it's understanding the answers that seems to be the problem and you're applying criteria that is incorrect but not listening when it's pointed out.

I am speechless!!! I doubt it.  &%54%

Offline justsaying

« Reply #2900 on: November 10, 2018, 10:05:16 PM »

So example 1 appears to be the closest.....  But........ Therefore The Prosecution should have a Basis of Plea.... If again, I am on the correct track.... Closest to what/ It's not close to the Tabak case for reasons I already gave! Murder and Manslaughter for DIFFERENT charges!

So if no Basis of Plea is entered into, then a trial will take place..... But then why do we know before hand that the defendant has plead guilty to manslaughter??? Because he told his counsel that he INTENDED to please guilty to manslaughter but the prosecution said NO!

Why are we told day in and day out that the defendant plead guilty to manslaughter..... Why do we know via the court case about contempt in July 2011 , that the defendant is guilty!! No idea what this means?

And why did Clegg, put him on the stand??? Why wouldn't he? It's his right to take the stand

Everyone including myself early on thought that some of the theories leonora put forward were way off base... But I understand completely where he is coming from.... I am sure I wouldn't

The idea that it wasn't Dr Vincent Tabak who made the plea via the link from Long Lartin, doesn't really seem that far fetched.... Yes it does - completely far fetched.

I have a problem, with the fact that we all already know that Dr Vincent Tabak has plead guilty to manslaughter.... not only that The defence know this.... Either you have an acceptance of the Manslaughter plea, or a Newton hearing by the judge... I have already explained that Newton DOES NOT apply here because the crime of MURDER and NOT aggravated manslaughter - it's a different crime altogether!

How can a defendant who is known by the public to have admitted to manslaughter then take the stand and tell everyone how he did it???? He didn't, he was there to defend himself not against  manslaughter charge but a MURDER charge. He wasn't on trial for manslaughter, he was on trial for MURDER!

I keep saying what happened to the presumption of Innocence??  The presumption of Innocence you have when you face a jury?? The presumption of innocence was the presumption of innocence to MURDER

You can't and shouldn't face a jury.... Guilty, until proven guiltier!! But that isn't and was the case - he was by his own admission 'guilty' of manslaughter BUT until convicted, he was innocent (under the law) to the crime of MURDER!

If I am correct in my understand of my post the other day ,where i questioned why Clegg put him on the stand, then Clegg knowing he had admitted to killing her shouldn't have had him on the stand..... No you aren't correct because this was his chance to explain what happened - you talk about fairness but would deny him his opportunity to fight his own corner

Sorry Caroline... I must be as thick as two short planks.... I thought the presumption of Innocence was key.... No need to apologise to me and it is - the key being the presumption of innocent of MURDER not manslaughter (which he had already admitted to)

As i look it appears that the old addage of The Presumption of Innocence has been removed.... But had it been removed when Dr Vincent Tabak faced trial?? Nope

Whats wrong with this country??? Lots but not in this particular case.

So we have Dr Vincent Tabak telling the court he did it with no supporting evidence, we have Dr Vincent Tabak solving a crime on his own, by admitting to said crime...... So people shouldn't be allowed to confess without providing evidence? Seriously?

What about the supporting evidence.... What about a jury being prejudiced....  This makes no ****ing sense... Makes perfect sense

It's so frustrating.....

You could badger a defendant.... threaten a defendant.... threaten a defendants family, say deportation.... anything.... not Dr Vincent Tabak persay... anyone....  You could use every trick in the book that the public may not be aware of, and get a man/woman to admit to something they did not do, and get them then to stand up in a court of law and tell a jury that they are guilty, before a jury proves them even guiltier!!! So, if you big on evidence, where is the evidence that Tabak was pressurised into admitting to manslaughter? He admitted it, he hasn't retracted it and he isn't claiming to be a MOJ

Them then fearing for the consequences if they do not do this, hoping that they might just get a shorter sentence for something they did not do in a bid to protect themselves or their family.... Again evidence?

Dr Vincent Tabak could be a fantasist for all anyone knows.....  I'll keep saying it.... I do not believe he is guilty.... give me proper evidence to support that he did it and I may change my mind.... His admission to ending her life!

ok... I'll let most be happy with what they believe is right in this case.... That they got the right man..... That they are happy that it was decided in July 2011 that Dr Vincent Tabak did indeed kill Joanna Yeates...  Before he went to trial.... before he took the stand and told his version of events.... Before he could retract, said plea... Who said he was retracting anything?

I know..... why don't we , keep said defendant in custody, without seeing anyone for weeks... keep them in custody, without applying for bail... take them to court several times, without still applying for bail, whilst staying silent on the matter... get everyone to sign a statement of guilt, then keep them on remand until they plead guilty to a lesser charge, then give them a full trial, where they start off as guilty, they then take the stand to tell the jury how they did it and then let a jury decide just how guilty they think said defendant is..... But that isn't what happened

My goodness.... you save such a lot of time.... and stop the pesky public asking questions they shouldn't ask.... It's great to ask questions, it's understanding the answers that seems to be the problem and you're applying criteria that is incorrect but not listening when it's pointed out.

I am speechless!!! I doubt it.  &%54%

This has all been explained but it seems to go in one ear and out the other - I gave up commenting on this thread for my own sanity.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:09:09 PM by justsaying »

Offline Caroline

« Reply #2901 on: November 10, 2018, 11:34:15 PM »

This has all been explained but it seems to go in one ear and out the other - I gave up commenting on this thread for my own sanity.

Yes, I have read the responses and don't understand how/why it isn't being understood.

Offline [...]

« Reply #2902 on: November 11, 2018, 11:14:10 PM »
I kept freeze framing The bargain Booze video, because it's so glitchy... I wanted to see what i could find.....

This image is amongst the freeze frames..

It looks like a bloke with brown hair.....  I have a bigger image but limits on the site restrict that...

Offline [...]

« Reply #2904 on: November 11, 2018, 11:51:22 PM »
That has started me looking at the CCTV again...

I have noticed the way in which Joanna Yeates holds the Pizza, when she is at the checkout... part of her hand is closed and she uses a couple of fingers and her thumb to scan it....

When I looked closer, she had something in her hand....

I wondered if it was car keys.... I don't know... she is heavily ladened with bags...  She has something in her left hand....

Offline Caroline

« Reply #2905 on: November 12, 2018, 12:09:11 AM »
That has started me looking at the CCTV again...

I have noticed the way in which Joanna Yeates holds the Pizza, when she is at the checkout... part of her hand is closed and she uses a couple of fingers and her thumb to scan it....

When I looked closer, she had something in her hand....

I wondered if it was car keys.... I don't know... she is heavily ladened with bags...  She has something in her left hand....

So what?

Offline [...]

« Reply #2906 on: November 12, 2018, 07:30:58 AM »
I'll reply in a mo... First i want to try establish, what is in Joanna Yeates hands, when she is shopping..

She appears to have 2 bags in her left hand, one that has a skull motif upon it...  When she enters Bargain Booze...

Offline [...]

« Reply #2907 on: November 12, 2018, 07:34:36 AM »
Joaan Yeates outside Waitrose... You can see her rucksack on one shoulder, looks flat at the back....

Offline [...]

« Reply #2908 on: November 12, 2018, 07:38:57 AM »
Entering Waitrose, she just has what appears as one bag in her left hand, you cannot see any motif on it...  in her right hand she appears to be holding something... 

jixy

« Reply #2909 on: November 12, 2018, 07:39:51 AM »
Nine... sorry this is getting way too creepy now