Author Topic: Multiple reasons why Sheila Caffell is innocent and Jeremy Bamber is guilty  (Read 272533 times)

Online Eleanor

I think I know where Jo is coming from. If Bamber rang the cottage from WHF, then picked up when he got back, would the line be left open until the WHF phone was replaced? Because he wouldn't be able to dial out from the cottage if it was.

When he answered his own call at Goldhanger all he would have to do is cancel the call by replacing the handset.   BT's automated system would then have cancelled the call from WHF some minutes later allowing Jeremy to place the call to Julie followed by the call to the police.

Good heavens. Stunned I am. About the phone, that is.

Sadly, this is beginning to look as though the initial police cock up has created the controversy.
But there is little doubt that Sheila was mentally disturbed, and if Jeremy Bamber was responsible, then so was he.  How did this come about in what is reported to have been a loving and caring adoptive family?  Sheila and Jeremy did not have the same biological parents, so what went wrong?
The possibility of them both being crackers hasn't helped.
My query is entirely academic as I don't have any great desire to slag off anyone, but that can't be avoided as someone is clearly responsible as five people finished up dead.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 05:31:41 PM by John »

Rachel Granada

An excellent thread which will show people at a glance the overwhelming amount of evidence which supports Sheila.  Can I make the suggestion that it is stated at the beginning of the thread that Bamber is guilty by default if Sheila is innocent.  It was Jeremy Bamber who implicated Sheila in the crime in the first instance when he telephoned the police and reported that she had gone berserk with a rifle in the farmhouse.  If this is in fact rubbish then Jeremy Bamber is clearly lying and by inference, guilty of murder.

Hello santa.  This is Bamber's fatal mistake, IMO.  In his haste to scapegoat Sheila, he didn't put much thought into this point.  I would imagine that Bamber probably thought that people were too stupid to work this out ie that if the call from Nevill had not happened, then how did Bamber know that something had happened at White House Farm.   I bet Bamber was over the moon when at first the Police appeared to swallow his story, and to blame poor Sheila for the tragedy.

Offline John

Yes, and if it hadn't been for DS Stan Jones he might just have gotten away with it.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline starryian

Quite right John,
If not for DS Stan Jones' inital suspicions, Bamber had every chance of these appalling murders never coming to light. Bamber's plan hinged on the belief that they would never be uncovered. It would be seen as four murders and a suicide. He also knew that he would not be unduly bothered by something he did not posses - a conscience. This has proven to be the case in BOTH camps. Even if you take the view that he is somehow 'innocent' he freely admits that he left a dangerous loaded weapon in a house full of people and within easy reach of two small children, and not once has he ever expressed one iota of remorse for this appallingly negligent act. This is something that his supporters have often been mislead or plainly lied to about. Many claim that he did 'express remorse'. We only have Bamber's word for that (It has not stood the test of time at all) because the policemen present were somewhat taken aback by his totally matter-of-fact admission of negligence. Almost as if he was admitting he was late for work.
In short, Bamber planned the murders with the same arrogant callousness he know him for. The later admissions of being a 'mummy's boy' and being in a 'loving family circle' are utter bovine excrement, designed to cast doubt and convince yet more deluded Bamber-fodder to assist him.
Starryian..

Offline Iggy68

15, Sheila was found without underwear, had she planned to kill herself she wouldnt have wanted to be found in that way.

is that like the old adage of children being told to wear clean underwear everyday in case they get involved in a serious accident and possibly needing hospital treatment ?   >@@(*&)

Offline Iggy68

I think I know where Jo is coming from. If Bamber rang the cottage from WHF, then picked up when he got back, would the line be left open until the WHF phone was replaced? Because he wouldn't be able to dial out from the cottage if it was.

When he answered his own call at Goldhanger all he would have to do is cancel the call by replacing the handset.   BT's automated system would then have cancelled the call from WHF some minutes later allowing Jeremy to place the call to Julie followed by the call to the police.

Good heavens. Stunned I am. About the phone, that is.

Sadly, this is beginning to look as though the initial police cock up has created the controversy.
But there is little doubt that Sheila was mentally disturbed, and if Jeremy Bamber was responsible, then so was he.  How did this come about in what is reported to have been a loving and caring adoptive family?  Sheila and Jeremy did not have the same biological parents, so what went wrong?
The possibility of them both being crackers hasn't helped.
My query is entirely academic as I don't have any great desire to slag off anyone, but that can't be avoided as someone is clearly responsible as five people finished up dead.

psychopaths like Jeremy are not necessarily 'crackers'

Offline MarlonBurgess

A very good point. Furthermore after thinking this through carefully you may also like to consider this point. During the struggle in the kitchen a glass, ornamental lampshade hanging at least 7-8 feet above the kitchen table was broken. This can clearly be seen in crime scene photos. The led lights wa sdthe type that is thin and will fragment expedentially and into a multitude of small pieces when broken violently and will spread over a wide area. The TFT mentioned in their logs that on their jouney through the kitchen a 'crunching noise was widely heard' . It was inconceivable that Sheila Caffell did not show any signs of having walked upon or trod on this glass if she was present in the kitchen. The barefoot Sheila would have almost certainly have acquired at the very least; small nicks on the bottoms of her feet along with other glass residue (from the broken sugar bowl found at the scene) None was ever found. In fact, her feet were perfectly clean. Totally inconsistent with her alleged presence in the kitchen. My conclusion is straightforward and hardly surprising - Sheila was not present in the kitchen and therefore could not have murdered her father. Due to his phone call to the police claiming that 'Sheila had gone nuts with the gun' along with his claim that his father make a phone call (the kitchen phone was the only useable phone found in the house); leaves only ONE individual that could have done the deed - Jeremy Bamber. It is highly improbable to arrive to any other conclusion.

you have mentioned plenty of inside points.. Even now I am trying to believe your words
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 06:18:43 PM by MarlonBurgess »

Offline Sandy

Those like mike tesko who continually promote the agenda that Bamber is innocent always fail to refer to the obvious.    By jeremy bambers own mouth the killer had to be one of two people namely him or his sister and his sister has been excluded by all the evidence.    Like it or not mr tesko et all you are on a hiding to nada.  8**8:/:

Offline scipio_usmc

Re: Multiple reasons why Sheila Caffell is innocent and Jeremy Bamber is guilty
« Reply #173 on: February 17, 2014, 07:29:08 PM »
Hi all I am new here.  You have made some good points but I think there are a few considerations missed and a few overstatements.

I think the point about Sheila definitely being unfamiliar with any gun is an overstatement.  I would phrase it as there is no reliable evidence that she ever used a gun or knew how to use any gun and that even Jeremy Bamber conceded he never saw her use any of the weapons that were in the house on the date of the murders.  Family and friends testified she had no interest in guns and that they never saw her touch let alone use a gun.  Jeremy testified that she fired a gun as a child when she went target shooting with him but that he has not seen her fire a weapon as an adult.  The only people who would have a basis to know whether Jeremy was lying about her firing a gun as a child were the 3 adult victims.  Since he is a known liar and was making a self-serving claim there is good reason to doubt him. Still it would be more accurate to say no reliable evidence she ever fired a weapon than to say for sure she didn't.

This touches upon a point I have never seen anyone raise before.  Jeremy lied to police on the night of the murders.  As he was speaking to the police at the scene he listed all the firearms in the house and told them that Sheila had fired all these weapons and was proficient with them. This scared the police so much that they refused to enter.  They were unarmed and did not want to take the risk.  This even disturbed the armed officers who arrived later so much that they waited a considerable time to enter. 

Since at trial he conceded he had not seen her fire a weapon as an adult and the guns in the house were all obtained while she was an adult it means he can't have seen her fire any of them.  So what basis did he have to tell police she fired all the weapons in the house and was proficient with them?  The only conclusion for the rational mind is that he intentionally lied to police.  The appropriate question that follows is why would he lie about this?

There are only 2 reasons for such a lie.  1) So police would not go in right away which would make it more difficult to establish the time of death and 2) So that police would believe she carried out the murders when they found her with the gun lying on top of her.

It worked on both counts.  They waited so long to enter that it resulted in valuable time being lost to examine the bodies and try to fix the time of deaths.  Moreover, they initially believed she did it and this resulted in sloppy evidence collection and preservation.  They didn't examine Jeremy or test his hands or clothing. He milked their trust for all it was worth even though in the end it still didn't save him.

Even if Sheila had used a gun as a child that doesn't mean she would know how to operate the murder weapon.  What kind of gun she operated as a child would be key and she might not even remember how to use that gun anymore. Jeremy never got into what weapon she supposedly used when she was with him as a child.  The murder weapon was a semi-auto rifle.  Jeremy claims the gun itself was unloaded but he left a loaded magazine next to it. While most people can figure out how to load a magazine into a gun, those unfamiliar with the operation of semi-autos will not know how to chamber a round or even know a round needs to be chambered in order for the gun to operate. 

In the US, Manson follower Lynette Fromme tried to shoot President Gerald Ford with a semi-auto pistol.  She pulled the trigger but it didn't fire.  The reason it didn't fire is because she never chambered a round she simply loaded the magazine and tried to fire. 

Even if she had managed to chamber a round and fire, since she either never fired a gun ever before or had not fired any weapon as an adult, there certainly would have been a learning curve.  It seems pretty unlikely that she would not miss with a single shot, particularly since she allegedly was in a frenzied state and ran out of medication that would have counteracted the spasms caused by her Haloperidol sedatives. 

Another issue relates to reloading.  Since she never used the weapon before and may never have used a semi-auto before she would have to figure out how to release the empty magazine to reload it.  Precious time would be lost as she tried to figure out how to remove it.  From photos of the weapon I can see how to chamber a round but would have to see it close up to figure out where the magazine release is and how it works.  Off hand I don't precisely know because I never used it and that is despite the fact I have considerable firearms expertise.

There was only one magazine for the weapon.  The killer could not simply load in a fresh magazine.  The killer had to take the added time to reload the magazine at least 2 times.  This point likely explains why there was a struggle in the kitchen.

Evidence indicates the killer and Nevill struggled over the weapon.  As they wrestled things were knocked over and the silencer scratched against the underside of the mantle.  The killer punched Nevill in the face multiple times breaking his nose and giving him 2 black eyes.  Apparently this enabled the killer to regain sole control of the rifle.  The killer then beat Neville with the butt of the rifle. Nevill had defensive wounds on his arms where he tried to block the rifle blows and bruises on his head where he was struck by the rifle.  The killer struck Neville so hard over the head that the killer broke the rifle stock and knocked him unconscious. Why would the killer stop shooting and instead beat him with the rifle?  There is only one rational reason,  the rifle was empty.  If the rifle still had ammo the killer would have continued to shoot him. 

This is particularly the case if Sheila were the killer.  According to court records Nevill was 6'4" and in good physical condition (I have seen 6"2" listed on this site but the court records state 2 inches taller).  She was small in comparison.  She would have difficulty overpowering him.  If she ran at him with the gun to strike him then he could have disarmed her.  How could she have hit him in the head with it considering his height?  This being the case why would she even try if she still had ammo in the gun?  She would just continue to shoot him and so would in fact any killer.  Only running out of ammo would force a killer to resort to hand to hand combat.     

Either Nevill charged the killer to grab hold of the gun after he found out it was empty or the killer discovered it was empty and attacked Nevill with it and then Nevill grabbed hold.  The killer would have needed to find a way to immobilize Nevill so that the killer would then have a chance to reload.  Unless immobilized Nevill could disarm the killer while the killer tried to reload. Thus either the killer tried to knock out Nevill then reload or Nevill jumped the killer after the gun clicked empty.   As you load more rounds the magazine spring has more tension and it becomes more difficult to push down.  It takes quite a bit of effort to load the last couple of rounds.  Not only time consuming but also someone with finger nails would probably break them rushing to accomplish it and certainly would incur some damage to the nails or polish during the course of a severe struggle. Even men bruise or cut their hands when punching other men or when handling sharp objects like the broken rifle stock.   

The alleged phone call needs to be evaluated based on all of this but never is.

Jeremy repeatedly stated that his father told him his sister is in a crazy frenzy, she got a hold of the gun and he is scared she will use it so come right away to help.  The assertion is that she didn't shoot anyone with it yet at the time Neville dialed but then his father was cutoff and he is unsure what happened at that point.

If Nevill did make the call as claimed he would have been shot 4-5 times already before he dialed.  Also June already had to have been shot severely enough that she stayed in the master bedroom and did not try to escape the house or to try to help her husband.  The shooting started upstairs in the master bedroom. June would not have stayed there unless she were shot enough times to immobilize her.  Nevill was shot 4 times upstairs.  The killer pursued Nevill down the stairs and shot him 4 more times downstairs.  The killer is believed to have fired a shot from the stairs hitting him a 5th time (in the head) before he could possibly have reached the phone. Some believe the 5th shot was in fact fired in the kitchen after he was unconscious along with the other 3 rounds, they think the casing on the stairs stuck to a shoe and was trailed there by accident. The evidence could go either way. 

This is very damaging to Jeremy's claims for a number of reasons. 

Of the 8 bullets wounds that Nevill suffered: the 3 most severe wounds were headshots any one of which on its own would have at minimum rendered Nevill unconscious; 1 wound was to his lip; another fractured his jaw, teeth and larynx which rendered him unable to speak after that; another bullet was a right side headshot that might not have immediately rendered him unconscious; 1 wound to his left shoulder; and finally 1 wound to his left elbow.   

Since he was able to run down the stairs obviously he can’t have suffered the most serious wounds upstairs.  Also in the kitchen there was a severe struggle so he was not yet unconscious or that struggle would not have taken place and he certainly can't have made a phone call if unconscious.  So we can assume the 3 most severe shots were fired last after he was incapacitated in order to finish him off.  They were close range shots so consistent with such. Indeed the way to reach the top of his head would be because he was slumped over already not standing upright.  That means one of the shots he suffered before reaching the phone had to be the shot that rendered him unable to speak.  That right there destroys any claim he made a phone call to Jeremy.

For the moment let’s set aside the reality that Nevill would not have been able to speak over the phone and that at best he could have dialed but Jeremy would not be able to hear anything beyond unintelligible noises. Let’s pretend that Nevill defied science and was able to speak and analyze what Jeremy claims his father said to him and whether someone in Nevill’s position would actually say over the phone what Jeremy attributes to him.

Nevill's wife was shot and in unknown condition. He himself was shot at least 4 and possibly 5 times.  Someone in his position would call 999 and request police assistance and an ambulance announcing he and his wife were shot and needed medical attention.  Ok suppose he wanted help quicker what would he do?  He would call the caretaker and tell the caretaker to call 999 requesting police and ambulance because they were shot and ask the caretaker to immediately come help disarm Sheila because he was close and the police might arrive too late.

Does he do either?  No instead he calls Jeremy.  There is substantial evidence and testimony that he didn't trust Jeremy.  Indeed the caretaker had keys to the house but he didn't trust his son with a set of keys.  That says something right there.  He told at least one person he feared Jeremy was plotting to kill him, how ominous.  But instead of calling the caretaker he calls his son who is only a little bit further away than the caretaker.  Does he tell his son that they were shot and needed medical attention?  No supposedly he said Sheila has a gun and might use it come right over I need your help.  It is ludicrous to think that Nevill would call someone and not say he and his wife had been shot send medical help but would instead lie and say Sheila had not yet used the gun but he feared she would so come help disarm her.     

So the conversation clearly was made up by Jeremy. There is no way such a conversation could have happened.

Mind you even if she had not shot anyone yet it still makes no sense to call Jeremy.  Jeremy did not get along well with her so it is not as if Jeremy could offer a soothing effect to calm her down.  Aside from her children, her favorite person was her father so he had the best chance to calm her down.  Moreover given Nevill's size advantage he could have disarmed her physically without Jeremy's help.  Why would he not attempt to disarm her instead of calling Jeremy to ask for his help?  The prosecution brought this out but never drove home the fact that this is not what actually happened anyway.  Nevill and his wife had already been shot by the time he reached the kitchen and could have tried to use the phone. Sheila and the twins might also have been shot prior to him reaching the kitchen. The killer could have fired a couple of shots in each victim and returned later to add more.  Indeed 5 shots had to have been fired in victims other than Nevill before he reached the phone.

Maximum loading of the gun would be 11 rounds (1 in the chamber and 10 rounds in the magazine)
Nevill: shot 4-5 times before entering kitchen
Upon reaching kitchen magazine empty so Nevill beaten unconscious
Magazine: reloaded and Nevill shot 3-4 more times to finish him off

At minimum 5 shots (6 if all 4 final shots were delivered in the kitchen or it had been loaded with 11 rounds, 7 if all 4 final shots came in the kitchen and 11 rounds had been loaded) were fired into victims other than Nevill.  Nevill could have been shot for the first time after the killer reloaded so potentially even more could have been fired into other victims by this time but at minimum 5 were.  June and Sheila could already have been incapacitated by 4 and 1 shot respectively.

The fact that Jeremy insists his father didn't say anyone had been shot and to send for an ambulance is absolutely fatal to his claim his father called.

Jeremy's actions before and after supposedly receiving this call make no sense either. 

At night he somehow sees bunnies through the window and decides to go shoot at them.  He chooses a gun with no silencer or scope for the task though there were guns with silencer and scope attached.  He loads the gun but then the bunnies are gone.  He unloads the gun but is too lazy to take 30 seconds to put it away, he leaves it on the kitchen table instead with the loaded magazine and extra bullets beside it.  This despite having two 6 year old nephews in the house.  His father who is very careful not to leave guns around, especially while his grandsons are there, leaves it on the kitchen table and the mother doesn't mind either.  They somehow set the table for breakfast anyway with the gun on it.  This story makes no sense and all and what is the purpose of the tale?  His sister would not go seek out a gun.  So he made up this tale about it being easy for her to grab while having a crazy frenzy because it was right in front of her in the open and conveniently so were extra bullets.  This also provides an excuse as to why his finger prints would be on some of the casings and the gun.

Ok in the middle of the night his father wakes him up to say come right over your sister got a hold of a gun and I am scared she might use it I want you to help me disarm her.

His father suddenly is cut off.   

He lives 3 minutes away does he rush over to find out what happened and help his father?

No he calls his girlfriend reportedly to tell her that his father called him to tell him Sheila was in a frenzy state menacing with a gun. 

Then after an undetermined amount of time he calls the regular police line.  He tells police that he wants them to go check things out and wants them to pick him up along the way. 

His sister is not known to be violent. 
His sister has not used a gun since a child and never used any of the guns in the house so might not know how to use the one he left unloaded on the table
He has no idea if his family is hurt or not and is only 3 minutes away so could easily check

He doesn't even go over to peak in the windows and try to listen from outside, he stays at his place till police pass by and then he follows the police but drives slowly behind ot make sure that instead of arriving the same time as them he arrives minutes later. Either he is the biggest chicken ever or he wanted police to arrive first so he could say he was no where near the place till after police got there.       

He lies to police and tells then that she has used every gun in the house and is proficient with weapons. 

Police are scared to enter.  He knows how to get in but he is not concerned enough to enter to try to find out what happened to his family. Instead of being impatient and entering to find out what transpired he calmly talks to police for hours about cars and guy stuff making sure that they go in first and doesn't even press them to go in.  He even lies and claims he saw someone walking around inside the bedroom. 

I have never seen Jeremy's supporters address any of these points.  These points are aside from the evidence related to the silencer and lack of evidence that Sheila fired a gun that night.  I have not even mentioned the incriminating evidence his girlfriend provided. That evidence just brings it home even more.  But these points I raised on their own are enough to sink Jeremy.     

The order of shots is something people wonder about but will never have a perfect answer.  Here is what I suspect based on what killers usually do.  He probably chambered a round and then loaded another bullet into the magazine so that he had 11 bullets in the gun.  He figured the kids were too little to do anything to him so he took care of them last. Since his sister was on sedatives he probably was not worried about her either. Unless for some reason she was awake and in the master bedroom with her parents she probably was shot last.

Presumably the master bedroom only had June and Nevill in it when he entered. He probably shot June 7 times, and Nevill 4 times.  Then he was empty.  He pursued Nevill into the kitchen and the struggle ensued where the silencer scratched the mantle and they knocked things over.  He knocked Neville unconscious and rather than take the time to reload fully he quickly loaded 4 rounds into the magazine and then shot 4 Nevill times more because he did not want to give Nevill a chance to come to and grab the weapon from him again.  Then he fully reloads the magazine with 10 rounds.  Goes up and shoots 1 nephew 5 times the other 3 times. Then grabs his sister and shoots her 2 times gun empty again. Removes the silencer and blood on his hands gets on the end of the silencer that had been screwed into the rifle and thus should not have any blood on it.  He puts the silencer back in the closet because he doesn't want anyone to know it had been used and removes the scope as well so it looks like it had been used without the accessories. This is just what seems to me the most logical based on the evidence and what I know about weapons. Little kids sleep sound and Sheila probably was scared and did what she was told so the real threats were the mother that Sheila and Jeremy had a horrible relationship with and a strong father. If Jeremy didn't hate her so much and concentrated his efforts on his father alone his father might not have made it downstairs.  I think that hatred and shooting her so much is what enabled Nevill to escape to the kitchen.     

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:00:35 AM by scipio_usmc »
“...there are three classes of intellects: one which comprehends by itself; another which appreciates what others comprehend; and a third which neither comprehends by itself nor by the showing of others; the first is the most excellent, the second is good, the third is useless.”  Niccolò Machiavelli

Offline John

« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2014, 10:34:24 PM »
You certainly have been doing your research on the case.   The points which you have highlighted so eloquently are very valid.  Just one little point though about Jeremy going to the farmhouse.

When he was on the phone he asked the police to pick him up at his house in Goldhanger.  They refused and told him to make his way to the farm independently.  He set off in his Astra but stopped to put on a sweater.  He was going so slow that the police overtook him.  This was out of character for Jeremy as he was a speed fiend.  Why did he go so slow?  Obviously he needed the police to get there before him.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline scipio_usmc

« Reply #175 on: February 19, 2014, 12:29:55 AM »
You certainly have been doing your research on the case.   The points which you have highlighted so eloquently are very valid.  Just one little point though about Jeremy going to the farmhouse.

When he was on the phone he asked the police to pick him up at his house in Goldhanger.  They refused and told him to make his way to the farm independently.  He set off in his Astra but stopped to put on a sweater.  He was going so slow that the police overtook him.  This was out of character for Jeremy as he was a speed fiend.  Why did he go so slow?  Obviously he needed the police to get there before him.

I left out the speed demon part because it is unnecessary.  It was only a 3 minute drive for him.  He didn't need police to get there first, he wanted them to get there first.  Just putting on a sweater was not enough, he had to sit and wait for police to pass by him or he would have beat them there.  As you point out he requested they pick him up but they refused. Since they would not pick him up he waited and then followed them the rest of the way.  His excuse is that he was scared to go alone which makes no sense. 

He could walk around the outside safely enough to try to listen or peak in a window even to see what is going on inside.  A normal person would have done that before calling police or at the very least after calling police.  He was supposedly too scared though he had to wait for police to go.  That's also his excuse for not going in after cops decided they were waiting.  The cops were scared to go inside and he said so was he.  Who would wait for hours wondering if their parents are still alive?  You would be looking in every window and then sneak inside.  It was all an obvious act and that is what really sinks him. If my parents called me to say my brother had a gun and they fear he will use it I would not wait for police to get there.  I would go inside. If police beat me there and then said they were waiting hours I would go in without them.   

If he didn't call police and make up the ridiculous phone call then what?  The farmworkers who had keys to the house could very well have found the family instead.  If police figured out at some point that Sheila was framed then what?  Jeremy would be a suspect since he inherited the estate but that is all they would have is suspicion because he had a motive.  They would not have any solid evidence against him other than 1 fingerprint on the rifle.  Which he could have gotten rid of had be bothered to clean the rifle better instead of spending time making up his phone story or could have simply said well everyone knows I borrow my father's guns so my prints are on all of them.

It would have been much more difficult to convict him had he not stuck himself in the middle.  If workers found the bodies instead I would know that Sheila was framed but would not be positive of who did do it.  I am positive because of what he said and did.         
“...there are three classes of intellects: one which comprehends by itself; another which appreciates what others comprehend; and a third which neither comprehends by itself nor by the showing of others; the first is the most excellent, the second is good, the third is useless.”  Niccolò Machiavelli

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2014, 12:53:35 PM »
Hi all I am new here.  You have made some good points but I think there are a few considerations missed and a few overstatements.

I think the point about Sheila definitely being unfamiliar with any gun is an overstatement.  I would phrase it no reliable evidence that she ever used a gun or knew how to use any gun and that even Jeremy Bamber conceded he never saw her use any of the weapons in the house on the date of the murders.  Family and friends testified she had no interest in guns and that they neve rsaw her touch let alone use a gun.  Jeremy testified that she fired a gun as a child when she went target shooting with him but that he has not seen her fire a weapon as an adult.  The only people who would have a basis to know whether Jeremy was lying about her firing a gun as a child were the 3 adult victims.  Since he is a known liar and was making a self-serving claim there is good reaosn to doubt him. Still it would be more accurate to say no reliable evidence she ever fired a weapon than to say for sure she didn't.

This touches upon a point I have never seen anyone raise before.  Jeremy lied to police on the night of the murders.  As he was speaking to the police at the scene he listed all the firearms in the house and told them that Sheila had fired all the weapons and was proficient with them. This scared the police so much that they refused to enter.  They were unarmed and did not want to take the risk.  This even disturbed the armed officers who arrived so much that they waited a considerable time to enter. 

Since at trial he conceded he had not seen her fire a weapon as an adult and these guns were all obtained while she was an adult it means he can't have seen her fire any of them.  So what basis did he have to tell police she fired all the weapons in the house and was proficient with them?  The only conclusion for the rational mind is that he intentionally lied to police.  The appropriate question is why would he lie about this?

There are only 2 reasons for such a lie.  1) So police would not go in right away which would make it more difficult to establish the time of death and 2) So that police would believe she carried out the murders when they found her with the gun lying on her. 

It worked on both counts.  They waited so long to enter that it resulted in valuable time being lost to examine the bodies and try to fix the time of deaths.  It initially resulted in sloppy evidence collection and he milked that for all it was worth even though in the end it still didn't save him.

Even if Sheila had used a gun as a child that doesn't mean she would know how to operate the murder weapon.  What kind of gun she operated as a child would be key and she might not even remember how to use that gun anymore. Jeremy never got into what weapon she supposedly used when she was with him as a child.  The murder weapon was a semi-auto rifle.  Jeremy claims the gun itself was unloaded but he left a loaded magazine next to it. While most peopel can figure out how to load a magazine into a gun, those unfamiliar with the operation of semi-autos will not know how to chamber a round or even know a round needs to be chambered in order for the gun to operate. 

In the US, Manson follower Lynette Fromme tried to shoot President Gerald ford with a semi-auto pistol.  She pulled the trigger but it didn't fire.  The reason it didn't fire is because she never chambered a round she simply loaded the magazine and tried to fire. 

Even if she had managed to chamber a round and fire, if she had not fired any weapon as an adult there certianly would have been a learning curve.  It seems pretty unlikely that she would not miss with a single shot, particularly since she allegedly was in a frenzied state. 

Another issue relates to reloading.  Since she never used the weapon before and may never have used a semi-auto before she would have to figure out how to release the empty magazine to reload it.  Precious time would be lost as she tried to figure out how to remove it.  From photos of the weapon I can see how to chamber a round but would have to see it close up to figure out where the magazine release is and how it works.  Off hand I don't precisely know because I never used it and that is despite the fact I have considerable firearms expertise.

There was only one magazine for the weapon.  The killer could not simply load in a fresh magazine.  The killer had to take the added time to reload the magazine at least 2 times.  This point explains why there was a struggle in the kitchen.

Neville had defensive wounds on his arms and bruises on his head caused by the rifle.  The killer struck Neville so hard over the head that the killer broke the rifle stock. Why would the killer stop shooting and instead beat him with the rifle?  There is only one rational reason,  the rifle was empty.  If the rifle still had ammo the killer would have continued to shoot him. 

This is particularly the case if Sheila were the killer.  According to court records Nevill was 6'4" and in good physical condition (I have seen 6"2" listed on this site but the court records state 2 inches taller).  She was small in comparison.  She would have difficulty overpowering him.  If she ran at him with the gun to strike him then he could have disarmed her.  How could she have hit him in the head with it?  This being the case why would she even try if she still had ammo in the gun?  She would just continue to shoot him and so would in fact any killer.  Only running out of ammo would force a killer to resort to hand to hand combat.     

The killer needed to immobilize him so that the killer would then have a chance to reload.  Unless immobilized Neville could disarm the killer while the killer tried to reload.  As you load more rounds the magazine spring has more tension and it becomes more difficult to push down.  It takes quite a bit of effort to load the last couple of rounds.  Not only time consuming but also someone with finger nails would probably break them and certainly would during the course of a severe struggle.   

The alleged phone call needs to be evaluated based on all of this but never is.

Jeremy repeatedly stated that his father told him his sister got a hold of the gun and he is scared she will use it so come right away to help.  The assertion is that she didn't shoot anyone with it yet at the time Neville dialed but then his father was cutoff and he is unsure what happened at that point.

If Nevill did make the call as claimed he would have been shot 5 times already before he dialed.  Also June already had to have been shot severely enough that she stayed in the master bedroom and did not ry to escape the house or to help her husband.  The shooting started upstairs in the master bedroom. June would not have stayed there unless she were shot enough times to immobilize her.  Nevill was shot 4 times upstairs.  The killer pursued Nevill down the stairs and fired a shot from the stairs hitting him a 5th time before he could possibly have reached the phone.     

This is very damaging to Jeremy's claims for a number of reasons. 

Of the 8 bullets wounds that Nevill suffered: the 3 most severe wounds were headshots any one of which on its own would have at minimum rendered Nevill unconscious; 1 wound was to his lip; another fractured his jaw, teeth and larynx which rendered him unable to speak after that; another bullet was a right side headshot that might not have immediately rendered him unconscious; 1 wound to his left shoulder; and finally 1 wound to his left elbow.   

Since he was able to run down the stairs obviously he can’t have suffered the most serious wounds upstairs.  Also in the kitchen there was a struggle so he was not yet unconscious or that struggle would not have taken place and he certainly can't have made a phone call if unconscious.  So we can assume the 3 most severe shots were fired last after he was incapacitated in order to finish him off.  They were close range shots so consistent with such. Indeed the way to reach the top of his head would be because he was slumped over already not standing upright.  That means one of the 5 shots he suffered before reaching the phone had to be the shot that rendered him unable to speak.  That right there destroys any claim he made a phone call to Jeremy.

For the moment let’s set aside the reality that Nevill would not have been able to speak over the phone at best he could have dialed and Jeremy would not be able to hear anything beyond unintelligible noises. Let’s pretend that Nevill defied science and was able to speak and analyze what Jeremy claims his father said to him and whether someone in Nevill’s position would actually say over the phone what Jeremy attributes to him.

Nevill's wife was shot and in unknown condition. He himself was shot 5 times.  Someone in his position would call 999 and request police assistance and an ambulance announcing he and his wife were shot and needed medical attention.  Ok suppose he wanted help quicker what would he do?  He would call the caretaker and tell the caretaker to call 999 requesting police and ambulance because they were shot and ask the caretaker to immediately come help disarm Sheila because he was close and the police might arrive too late.

Does he do either?  No instead he calls Jeremy.  There is substantial evidence and testimony that he didn't trust Jeremy.  Indeed the caretaker had keys to the house but he didn't trust his son with a set of keys.  That says something right there.  But instead of calling the caretaker he calls his son who is only a little bit firther away than the caretaker.  Does he tell his son that they were shot and needed medical attention?  No supposedly he said Sheila has a gun and might use it come right over I need your help.  It is ludicrous to think that Nevill would call someone and not say he and his wife had been shot send medical help but woul dinstead lie and say she had not yet used the gun but he feared she would so come help disarm her.   

So the conversation clearly was made up by Jeremy. There is no way such a conversation could have happened.

Mind you even if she had no shot anyone yet it still makes no sense to call Jeremy.  Jeremy did not get along well with her so it is not as if Jeremy could offer a soothing effect.  Aside from her children, her favorite person was her father so he had the best chance to calm her down.  Moreover given his size advanatge he could have disarmed her physically without Jeremy's help.  Why would he not attempt to disarm her instead of calling Jeremy to ask for his help?  The prosecution brought this out but never drove home the fact that this is not what actually happened anyway.  Nevill and his wife had already been shot by the time he reached the kitchen and could have tried to use the phone. Sheila and the twins might also have been shot prior to him reaching the kitchen. The killer could have fired a couple of shots in each victim and returned later to add more.  Indeed 5 shots had to have been fired in victims other than Nevill before he reached the phone.

Magazine: 10 rounds
Nevill: shot 5 times before entering kitchen
Upon reaching kitchen magazine empty so Nevill beaten unconscious
Magazine: reloaded and Nevill shot 3 more times to finish him off

At minimum 5 shots were fired into other victims than Nevill.  Nevill could have been shot for the first time after the killer reloaded so potentially even more could have been fired into other victims by this time but at minimum 5 were.  June and Sheila could already have been incapacitated by 4 and 1 shot respectively.

The fact that Jeremy insists his father didn't say anyone had been shot and to send for an ambulance is absolutely fatal to his claim his father called.

Jeremy's actions before and after supposedly receiving this call make no sense either. 

At night he somehow sees bunnies through the window and decides to go shoot at them.  He chooses a gun with no silencer or scope for the task though there were guns with silencer and scope attached.  He loads the gun but then the bunnies are gone.  He unloads the gun but is too lazy to take 30 seconds to put it away, he leaves it on the kitchen table instead with the loaded magazine and extra bullets deside it.  This despite having 2 6 year old nephews in the house.  His father who is very careful not to leave guns around, especially while his grandsons are there, leaves it on the kitchen table and the mother doesn't mind either.  They somehow set the table for breakfast anyway with the gun on it.  This story makes no sense and all and what is the purpose?  His siter would not go seek out a gun.  So he made up this tale about it being easy for her to grab while having a crazy frenzy because it was right in front of her in the open and conveniently so were extra bullets.  This also provides an excuse as to why his finger prints would be on some of the casings and the gun.

Ok in the middle of the night his father wakes him up to say come right over your sister got a hold of a gun and I am scared she might use it I want you to help me disarm her.

His father suddenly is cut off.   

He lives 3 minutes away does he rush over to find out what happened and help his father?

No he calls his girlfriend reportedly to tell her that his father called him to tell him Sheila was in a frenzy state menacing with a gun. 

Then after an undetermined amount of time he calls the regular police line.  He tells police tha the wants the go go check things out and wants them to pick him up along the way. 

His sister is not known to be violent. 
His sister has not used a gun since a child and never used any of the guns in the house so might not know how to use the one he left unloaded on the table
He has no idea if his family is hurt or not and is only 3 minutes away so could easily check

He doesn't even go over to peak in the windows and try to listen from outside he stays at his place till police pass by and then he follows the police. 

He lies to police and tells then that she has used every gun in the house and is proficient with weapons. 

Police are scared to enter.  He knows how to get in but he is not concerned enough to enter to try to find out what happened to his family. Instead of being impatient and entering to find out he calmly talks to police for hours about cars and guy stuff wanting them to go in first. 

I have never seen Jeremy's supporters address any of these points.  These points are aside from the evidence related to the silencer and lack of evidence that Sheila fired a gun that night.  That evidence just brings it home even more.  But these points I raised on their own are enough to sink Jeremy.   

Scipio as far as I can see the only "overstatements" are the lengths of your posts!! 
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline scipio_usmc

« Reply #177 on: February 21, 2014, 04:57:37 PM »
Scipio as far as I can see the only "overstatements" are the lengths of your posts!!

Being thorough and explaining point by point is necessary in order to communicate the complete picture. Those who claim Jeremy is innocent have no ability to deal with most of what sinks him so ignore most of it.  When it is presented but they don't rebut it then it means their position is intenable.   

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #178 on: February 21, 2014, 05:37:42 PM »
Being thorough and explaining point by point is necessary in order to communicate the complete picture. Those who claim Jeremy is innocent have no ability to deal with most of what sinks him so ignore most of it.  When it is presented but they don't rebut it then it means their position is intenable.

I have neither the time or inclination to go through your chapter and verse posts.  You don't want to debate; you hijack threads and attempt, albeit unsuccessfully, to force your opinions on others.   Why?  JB has been found guilty in a court of law.  He is serving LIFE.  He has been in prison for some 28 years.  Why bother telling me I need to face reality, or rather your reality?  I have covered all the points you raise over the last two years on Blue and/or Red.  I am not in the habit of repeating myself.  Unless you can offer up something NEW I shall continue to believe JB is the victim of a MoJ.  I am merely a poster on a forum.  I have no influence whatsoever over the only people who are capable of overturning JB's conviction eg CCRC or CoA.
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Joanne

« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2014, 05:59:32 PM »

I've got to say by far the most considered, rational and explanatory posts I have ever read on this case on either forum and the more scipio_usmc posts the more I think Jeremy did it because their is no other explanation and everything comes into place.
I'm sorry Holly but scipio_usmc doesn't hijacks posts he just explains well, the fact that both of you have differing views is good and you don't need to repeat yourself but we do need differing views, so please don't stop posting.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:02:35 PM by Joanne »