Author Topic: EU membership, should we stay or leave?  (Read 125491 times)

Offline John

Re: EU membership, should we stay or leave?
« Reply #240 on: June 19, 2016, 08:23:15 PM »
Definitely the Conservative Party then. 8((()*/

I hear Boris is willing to give Farage a place in the cabinet if he becomes P.M.

Then there would be mass migration. %£&)**# %£&)**# %£&)**#

Hopefully of illegals!   @)(++(*
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

stephen25000

« Reply #241 on: June 19, 2016, 08:29:14 PM »
A MAJOR leak from Brussels has revealed the NHS will
be killed off if Britain remains in the European Union.

By DAVID MADDOX
PUBLISHED: 06:05, Tue, May 3, 2016 | UPDATED: 15:26, Wed, May 25, 2016

New Brussels report reveals that NHS will be killed off if Britain remain in EU
Hundreds of papers from the secretive trade talks between the US and EU have been released online.

They appear to confirm fears that the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership talks between Brussels and Washington will, when ratified, lead to the health service being privatised or dismantled.

The documents, obtained by Greenpeace Netherlands, include a US proposal to have a committee with representatives from Washington and Brussels to meet each year “to review state-owned enterprises and monopolies” which would include the NHS.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/666454/NHS-EU-killed-off-Brexit-Remain-Leave-referendum-Brussels-European-Union

So more hot air.

I note there is no proof provided with this article.

So we are no supposed to believe EU Policy is determined by the US Corporate sector.

Sounds like Sadie's Illuminati are at it again. %&5%£ %&5%£

Offline John

« Reply #242 on: June 19, 2016, 09:36:17 PM »
No, just decent hard working people who don't want a bunch of loons like Farage and Boris in government. 8)-)))

By the looks of it we are all sunk then.    8(8-)) 
Is there anyone fit to run this country any more?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #243 on: June 20, 2016, 12:11:29 AM »
George Osborne is saying on 'Peston' that leaving the EU will benefit the rich and the poorer people will have to pay. Is it me or is he a member of a Party which has always supported the interests of the rich? Under the rule of the Government of which he is a member the gap between rich and poor has widened. Under the same Government the poor have seen many cuts to services they rely on. Why then is he supporting the 'Remain' campaign?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

stephen25000

« Reply #244 on: June 20, 2016, 08:12:11 AM »
George Osborne is saying on 'Peston' that leaving the EU will benefit the rich and the poorer people will have to pay. Is it me or is he a member of a Party which has always supported the interests of the rich? Under the rule of the Government of which he is a member the gap between rich and poor has widened. Under the same Government the poor have seen many cuts to services they rely on. Why then is he supporting the 'Remain' campaign?

I totally agree.

I would have thought his natural inclination would be with Brexit. I wonder if his friendship with Cameron coloured his position.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #245 on: June 20, 2016, 08:37:47 AM »
I totally agree.

I would have thought his natural inclination would be with Brexit. I wonder if his friendship with Cameron coloured his position.

If leaving benefits the rich the whole Conservative Party should be for leaving. Obviously staying offers something even more attractive.
Result = happy posting.

stephen25000

« Reply #246 on: June 20, 2016, 08:51:52 AM »
If leaving benefits the rich the whole Conservative Party should be for leaving. Obviously staying offers something even more attractive.

What exactly ?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #247 on: June 20, 2016, 09:52:42 AM »
What exactly ?

Dunno. Why would the rich and powerful want what membership of the EU can offer? It's easier to set up branches of businesses in low wage European countries. Free movement of labour means the most talented and hard-working will head to the countries such as the UK where pay is better. Power may be on offer if a European Government and European armed forces become reality. Many rich people probably find it convenient to have bases in different European countries and easier to travel from house to house.
Result = happy posting.

Offline misty

« Reply #248 on: June 20, 2016, 01:29:30 PM »
Dunno. Why would the rich and powerful want what membership of the EU can offer? It's easier to set up branches of businesses in low wage European countries. Free movement of labour means the most talented and hard-working will head to the countries such as the UK where pay is better. Power may be on offer if a European Government and European armed forces become reality. Many rich people probably find it convenient to have bases in different European countries and easier to travel from house to house.

Our financial services produce a positive input to GDP. More US dollars are traded in the UK than the US. They help to offset our ever-increasing deficit in trading of other goods.
If we leave the EU, many rich foreign investors will simply move their finances to Luxembourg or Switzerland. Our deficit will then increase dramatically & the prospects for our country disastrous.

Alfie

« Reply #249 on: June 20, 2016, 02:16:33 PM »
Interesting thread - in that it throws sceptics and supporters up in the air in one argument only for some of them to land on different sides of the fence in another argument - whoever thought I'd ever be agreeing with Stephen?! @)(++(*

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #250 on: June 20, 2016, 02:38:55 PM »
Our financial services produce a positive input to GDP. More US dollars are traded in the UK than the US. They help to offset our ever-increasing deficit in trading of other goods.
If we leave the EU, many rich foreign investors will simply move their finances to Luxembourg or Switzerland. Our deficit will then increase dramatically & the prospects for our country disastrous.

That is correct - we can trade in insurance, banking and finance throughout the EU under the passporting arrangements, a feature of the EU which benefits the UK far more that rivals such as Frankfurt or Paris.  About a third of our financial services exports are to Europe.  This leads to a trade surplus in financial services with Europe of around £60bn 

If we Brexit, most of that will go.  Not immediately but over a very few years.  And this puts the UK net contribution of around £10bn to the EU budget into context.  I get the argument that not paying this to the EU coffers will enable us to spend it elsewhere, but it is a trivial amount of money (1.2% of UK budget of £777bn) and will only go far.

If we lost half of our EU financial service business to EU based competitors then that would be a net "hit" of three times the savings on EU membership.   

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #251 on: June 20, 2016, 03:04:50 PM »
Interesting thread - in that it throws sceptics and supporters up in the air in one argument only for some of them to land on different sides of the fence in another argument - whoever thought I'd ever be agreeing with Stephen?! @)(++(*

I agree with that.  It just goes to show.   8(0(*

Offline John

« Reply #252 on: June 20, 2016, 03:22:07 PM »

Might be something to do with selling luxury wallpaper to Europe?  We won't even mention the fact that the Osborne family business hasn't paid a penny in corporation tax for seven years despite paying the Chancellor and other share holders a six figure sum in dividends.   According to the Sunday Times, records for the interior design group, which has its head office in London, show that it pays its senior director £684,000 a year, employs 195 people and also apparently reveal that the firm made profits in the year to March 2015 of £722,200 on revenues of £34 million.

“Gorgeous” George Osborne, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, has deployed harsh words in public about companies’ aggressive tax avoidance strategies. But it seems that when it comes to his own business interests, he is far more forgiving.

Listening to the likes of Osborne bleating on about the poor in society is cringeworthy.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 03:28:54 PM by John »

stephen25000

« Reply #253 on: June 20, 2016, 03:28:47 PM »

Does this rate as a miracle Alfie? 8)--))

and likewise JP.

stephen25000

« Reply #254 on: June 20, 2016, 03:31:29 PM »
Might be something to do with selling luxury wallpaper to Europe?  We won't even mention the fact that the Osborne family business hasn't paid a penny in corporation tax for seven years despite paying the Chancellor and other share holders a six figure sum in dividends.   According to the Sunday Times, records for the interior design group, which has its head office in London, show that it pays its senior director £684,000 a year, employs 195 people and also apparently reveal that the firm made profits in the year to March 2015 of £722,200 on revenues of £34 million.

“Gorgeous” George Osborne, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, has deployed harsh words in public about companies’ aggressive tax avoidance strategies. But it seems that when it comes to his own business interests, he is far more forgiving.

Listening to the likes of Osborne bleating on about the poor in society is cringeworthy.

I don't trust Osborne either.

However, it won't change my views on the referendum.