Author Topic: Barry George revisited.  (Read 169200 times)

Offline Nicholas

Re: Barry George revisited.
« Reply #1035 on: February 09, 2020, 10:08:50 AM »
stevenbones
@stevenbones1
Oct 22, 2014
Dr Michael Naughton: Claims of Innocence: http://youtu.be/HUsFwSdmQZw via
@YouTube

Listen to Dr Michael Naughton referring to ‘empowering’ others including sharing the ‘claims of innocence’ booklet with ‘grassroots’ groups such as ‘progressing prisoners maintaining innocence’ to ‘empower prisoners’, highlighting Simon Halls forthcoming appeal at the Royal Courts of justice, with Michael Mansfield, the Neil Hurley & Paul Blackburn cases,
Barry George and his attempts at getting compensation, Michael O’Brien of the so called Cardiff Newsagent 3 receiving £1,000,000 etc
Gabe Tan: Why join an Innocence Project?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3lMN-eK7ByY

Gabe Tan saying how “ordinary people can do extraordinary things”
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 12:23:44 PM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #1036 on: February 09, 2020, 10:30:34 AM »
The Stephen Downing case exposed - including Matt Barlow the reporter assigned to report on the CoA hearing

Some in the town of Bakewell are clearly affected by the ‘illusionary truth effect’ manufactured by Don Hale/Stephen Downing

An example of ‘innocent fraud’

Yet in 2013 Dr Dennis Eady, following the exposure of Simon Halls guilt and confession, claimed,
In 20 plus years of studying miscarriages of justice, while there may have been a few cases where people have for a short time maintained innocence before admitting guilt, I can think of no other high profile, widely supported case where the person has maintained innocence over many years and pursued the case through legal avenues (CCRC, Court of Appeal) and then admitted guilt.
https://theerrorsthatplaguethemiscarriageofjusticemovement.home.blog/2019/05/11/the-clues-that-point-to-barry-georges/

Since Stephen Downing’s murder conviction was deemed ‘unsafe’ and he was released from prison he’s made confessions. The police have these on record. He wasn’t retried because he’d served 27 years in prison.
(All in the podcast)

The case of Stephen Downing - The worst miscarriage of justice in British history by Stephen Downing https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-Case-of-Stephen-Downing-Paperback/p/16828

Dennis Eady’s 2009 thesis “Miscarriages of Justice; The Uncertainty Principle” references Don Hale as a source, among others
https://orca.cf.ac.uk/54837/1/U585226.pdf

Abstract(S)
This thesis examines in detail the potential for error and distortion in the criminal justice process and the concept of case construction which may contribute to wrongful convictions.

“This thesis considers the often illusory nature of some of the principles of the criminal justice system and utilises notions of “magical legalism” (Cohen 2001) and other psychological processes that may be involved in maintaining innocence.”

“Some recommendations for change are proposed, focusing primarily on the philosophical change that is required to change the principles originally designed to protect the innocent from illusion into reality” 

Or ‘reality’ into ‘illusion’

In hindsight imo people like Dennis Eady appear to me to be a con artists dream

I wonder if he’s ever reflected on his ‘thesis’ or other alleged moj cases?

March 2003 The Independent
“A feud has arisen from the reinvestigation of the flawed Stephen Downing murder conviction, with two men filing formal complaints to police, it was revealed yesterday.

As an independent advisory group ratified Derbyshire police's assertion two weeks ago that Mr Downing remained the only suspect in the case, detectives said Don Hale, the journalist who campaigned for his release, and David Sewell, the murder victim's widower, had filed separate complaints against each other.

Mr Sewell alleges Mr Hale, 50, who was awarded OBE for his campaign to overturn Mr Downing's conviction, may have perverted the course of justice or attempted to pervert the course of justice.

Mr Hale, meanwhile, asserts that he has experienced threatening behaviour from Mr Sewell. The former editor of the Matlock Mercury newspaper also believes there may be a civil case for malicious falsehood or defamation.

Derbyshire police said it had launched inquiries into the complaints, which arise from their reinvestigation of the 1973 murder of Wendy Sewell in Bakewell cemetery, Derbyshire. Mr Sewell and Mr Hale would only be interviewed if officers established that any criminal offences had been committed, the force said.

Mr Hale's defamation complaint relates to allegations in the report – picked up by Mr Sewell – that interviewees said to have contributed to Mr Hale's book about the case claimed later they had not spoken to the journalist at all.

"I know my submissions were fair. They helped overturn the conviction and I dispute all allegations that I have distorted evidence," Mr Hale said. When the report came out last month, Mr Sewell immediately called on Derbyshire police to consider prosecuting Mr Hale for perverting the course of justice. Privately, detectives have indicated that such a course of action is unlikely as an offence would be difficult to prove.

Two weeks ago, a "bitter and angry" Mr Downing said that he, too, would lodge a complaint – against Derbyshire police – after officers said that he was the only suspect for the killing of Mrs Sewell. Mr Downing, who is from Bakewell, served 27 years in prison for the crime before he was released on appeal and his conviction ruled unsafe at the Court of Appeal last year.

But police confirmed that no new correspondence about the reinvestigation has been received from Mr Downing.

Meanwhile, an independent advisory group – which included Mr Downing's media solicitor, Richard Cramer – ratified the findings of the Derbyshire police reinvestigation report.

The report listed Mr Downing's recent confession to his father among reasons why he remains their only suspect in the case. According to the report, Mr Downing, 46, was at his flat in Chesterfield last summer when he told his father, Ray, to sit down as he had "something to tell him" and admitted to the murder of legal secretary Wendy Sewell, who was bludgeoned to death with a pickaxe handle. Mr Downing's father reported their conversation to Detective Chief Superintendent David Gee, who has led a 10-month reinvestigation.

In a statement, the advisory group said yesterday: "We are satisfied with the integrity of the police procedures and the rigour of the reinvestigation."

Mr Cramer, who represents Mr Downing, said: "Mr Downing is being advised by other solicitors about making any complaint against police."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/bakewell-murder-case-reporter-investigated-over-feud-122369.html

Footage of liar and fantasist Don Hale
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/video/stephen-downing-freed-on-bail-cambridgeshire-hmp-little-news-footage/813225944?adppopup=true&uiloc=thumbnail_more_search_results_adp&uiloc=thumbnail_more_search_results_adp&uiloc=thumbnail_more_search_results_adp

Including a short clip of murder victim Wendy Sewells husband David Sewell

March 2003 Telegraph
“The journalist who led the fight to free Stephen Downing, whose conviction for the murder of a typist was quashed after he spent 27 years in prison, is to be formally investigated by police about his campaign.
Police have received a complaint about Don Hale from David Sewell, husband of the murdered woman, Wendy Sewell. Last week, after a six-month re-investigation, police said that Mr Downing remained the only suspect in the 1973 murder in Bakewell, Derbyshire.
Police accused Mr Hale of distorting and embellishing evidence in his book about the case, Town Without Pity, which they said contained "anomalies".
Now Mr Sewell, who accused Mr Hale of "causing great pain and distress" by twisting and even fabricating evidence in his campaign, has sent a written, formal complaint about him to David Coleman, Chief Constable of Derbyshire.
Mr Downing's case was hailed as one of Britain's worst miscarriages of justice when the Court of Appeal overturned his conviction in January. He has since received £250,000 compensation, with the final sum expected to be between £500,000 and £1.8 million.
He was 17 but had a mental age of 11 when he was convicted of beating 32-year-old Mrs Sewell to death with a pick-axe handle at a cemetery in Bakewell. At the time he was working at the cemetery and claimed to have found Mrs Sewell's partly-clothed body covered in blood.
He was arrested and interviewed for about eight hours before admitting the attack. Later he retracted his confession but was convicted the following year. Once in prison, Mr Downing refused to admit the offence to parole officers, thereby making himself ineligible for release.
His parents, Ray and Juanita, waged a campaign to prove his innocence and were joined in 1996 by Mr Hale, then editor of the Matlock Mercury. His campaign secured him an OBE, several journalism awards and praise from the Prime Minister.
However, resentment in the town against him has grown by what people saw as his obsession with freeing Mr Downing. Yesterday Mr Hale accused the police of "stage-managing" their new inquiry's findings.
He said it was unfair that Mr Sewell was at a press conference to discuss the police report's conclusions when he and Mr Downing were not. "My absence and inability to reply to potentially defamatory comments was a denial of my basic human rights."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1424006/Bakewell-murder-author-faces-police-investigation.html

Don Hale attempts to continue to spread his distortions and ‘anomalies’ https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/investigative-journalist-tells-child-abuse-15945732.amp#click=https://t.co/6ERoKq9sqm

https://trollexposure.wordpress.com/?s=Don+Hale
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 03:51:23 PM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #1037 on: February 09, 2020, 04:48:07 PM »
Dennis Eady’s 2009 thesis “Miscarriages of Justice; The Uncertainty Principle” references Don Hale as a source, among others
https://orca.cf.ac.uk/54837/1/U585226.pdf

Abstract(S)
This thesis examines in detail the potential for error and distortion in the criminal justice process and the concept of case construction which may contribute to wrongful convictions.

“This thesis considers the often illusory nature of some of the principles of the criminal justice system and utilises notions of “magical legalism” (Cohen 2001) and other psychological processes that may be involved in maintaining innocence.”

“Some recommendations for change are proposed, focusing primarily on the philosophical change that is required to change the principles originally designed to protect the innocent from illusion into reality” 

Or ‘reality’ into ‘illusion’

In hindsight imo people like Dennis Eady appear to me to be a con artists dream

I wonder if he’s ever reflected on his ‘thesis’ or other alleged moj cases?

In March 2014 Dennis Eady had an article published in the justice gap headed.

Innocence Projects: The importance of grasping the essence

Excerpts:
”I fully support anything that increases the chances of innocent people being exonerated but our expectations must remain in context and we should think very carefully before throwing away the principles on which INUK was founded. Those principles, naive and idealistic as they may be, nonetheless provide an ethical and humane working foundation based on a real understanding of the uncertainties and logical frailties of the criminal justice system.

This article will attempt to address three questions:

What is meant by “innocence” as opposed to “safety”?
Why do Innocence projects have no success in overturning convictions?
What is the value of Innocence projects?
What is meant by “innocence” as opposed to “safety”?

In her Justice Gap article, Hannah Quirk reflects the often presented view in relation to the notion of “innocence” as a test for exoneration. To prove innocence, the argument goes, is far harder than showing that a conviction is “unsafe”.

However I would be surprised if anyone ever really meant it in the sense of proving innocence. The approach of looking at cases in terms of innocence does not prevent looking for and presenting arguments about safety. We all know that as things stand we have to play by the archaic rules of the Court of Appeal. Considering a case from the standpoint of innocence however, means evaluating the person, the circumstances and the evidence as closely as possible and as holistically as possible.

If there is evidence of possible innocence or Lord Widgery’s insightful, and therefore much maligned, concept of lurking doubt (R v Cooper 53 Cr App R 82 1968), then there is an ethical and humane basis for supporting the case, whether or not there are circumstances that fit neatly into the Court of Appeal’s rigid appeal criteria.

That is what innocence projects should do, in my view – look at possible innocence as a priority and then try to find potential appeal points. The “danger” in this approach is that one becomes committed to a case for the sake of justice and humanity even if the system provides no avenue for such concepts to be officially recognised.

“Having said that, it seems that according to Michael Naughton’s pronouncement about the discontinuance of the Innocence Network UK (here), such a notion had already been abandoned.

I was saddened to read, particularly coming from one of the great past champions of ethical and radical thinking on this issue, that those innocence projects within INUK – our Cardiff project has not been a member since 2010 – had become so selective that “eligible cases are drying up”.

In a climate where injustice seems to be escalating throughout the criminal justice system this was an astonishing conclusion. It was all the more astonishing because two different criteria are quoted in the same article but both seem designed to exclude almost every case that might apply:

Read more here https://www.thejusticegap.com/innocence-projects-importance-grasping-essence/

Dr Michael Naughton announced in July 2014

“At the end of this year’s membership (September 2014), INUK will no longer be renewing or taking memberships from universities and/or law firms.

We believe that with more than 30 INUK innocence projects around the country, that this aspect of INUK’s aims has been successfully achieved and that it is now timely for innocence projects to step up as independent enterprises in their own right and with full responsibility for any successes or failures.

After 10 years of assessing applications from alleged innocent victims of wrongful convictions the eligible cases are drying up. In the last year only a few of the couple of hundred applications that we have assessed have been deemed eligible: the applicant may be innocent and there is something that we can do to prove or disprove the claim.

Perhaps most crucially, INUK played a significant part in the intervention in the recent case of Nunn at the Supreme Court, which ensures the viability of innocence project investigations at the pre-CCRC stage.
Read more here http://www.innocencenetwork.org.uk/inuk-new-beginnings
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 09:15:29 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #1038 on: February 09, 2020, 10:49:30 PM »
🎀 Michelle Diskin Bates 🎀
@Michelle_Diskin
Replying to
@hanksoff03
People who are not guilty often try to have there wrongful convictions overturned. Funny that...you’d think they’d just lie down and take it...wouldn’t you?
#robingarbutt is not guilty! ! !
2:52 PM · Feb 8, 2020·Twitter for iPad

https://mobile.twitter.com/Michelle_Diskin/status/1226156869024174082

Robin Garbutts 999 call to the police https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFgCQNRsQE

Robin Garbutt police interview https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1FOJmgKyrxw

Robin Garbutt states,
do you know what, I knew straight away we I was going to be robbed, I just knew it cos.. obviously.. you know.. and I wasn’t even worried.. do you know.. I know it sounds stupid but .. the first time I was absolutely shitting a brick and this time.. but.. the first thing he said to me.. straight away was.. he said er don’t do anything stupid we’ve got your wife and er he said turn the lights off and er lock the door.. so I er um I er went back to     Blah blah

“he handed me a um a black hold-all and er he said put the money in the bag I think or put the money from the safe.. I can’t rem.. put the money in the bag I think he said.. erm..so I just walked into the post office.. he followed behind me   Blah blah

I put the money in the hold-all, there was something else in there already.. blah blah. I noticed when I put the money in blah blah.. I emptied.. put my till money in.. nothing in there just peanuts.. you know., a hundred quid..

Hanksoff03 Retweeted
Hanksoff03
@hanksoff03
@nickwallis has covered this in his documentary.A shocking wrongful conviction connected2this PO/Horizon case is http://RobinGarbuttOfficial.com. Huge part of [ censored word ] case was accusation of theft which had NEVER happened! Nothing left of [ censored word ] case,yet Robin still fights from his prison cell

https://mobile.twitter.com/hanksoff03/status/1226539689169051648

Should read - ‘huge part of the prosecution* case was accusation of theft which had NEVER happened’

* prosecution has been abbreviated in tweet but forum appears to be detecting ‘p r o s’ as a ‘censored word’ ?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 11:01:12 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #1039 on: February 10, 2020, 10:45:50 AM »
By Michael Bourke (Uncle of Barry George & Michelle Diskin Bates) taken from the book ‘Mikes Story’
I designed a lea flet and Mick made up a prototype which I then got printed. The leaflet described Barry as a proud Englishman with Welsh Irish roots. He was described as not a devil, not a saint, but perhaps a Scapegoat. It then pointed to some shortcomings of the jury, and there followed a description of the case against Barry, and the scant forensic evidence. It also contained a list of people who felt or expressed CONCERN at the safety of Barry’s conviction. Eventually I had a short list, small in number but impressive in quality. The list consisted of Willie O Dea, TD. John McDonnell, MP. Professor Tim Valentine. Jim Nichol, Solicitor. John Witzenfeld. Solicitor. Pat Reynolds, Chairman IBRG. Dr Chris R Tame, Director Libertarian Alliance. Billy Power and Paddy Hill. (Birmingham Six) Andy Parr. (Cricket writer) Paul Foot, Journalist. Later I would get a few more names. They were Jeremy Corbyn, MP. John McManus, MOJO. LA Naylor, author of HOW MANY ARE INNOCENT. Senator Labhras O Murchu. Professor Elizabeth Loftus, ‘Memory expert’ who was concerned at witnesses recollections. Seamus Healy TD. Dan Neville TD. The leaflet ended with information on our website and a request for concerned people to write to their local politician or MEP, and a mention of Martin Jeremiah and his album Day Off For The Queen. I planned to distribute some at the London Saint Patrick’s Day Festival in March. I also sent some to politicians, the Home Office etc. Michelle phoned to tell me that she would also be in London, as MOJO were holding a public meeting in the House of Commons. I was not invited which I thought was a pity as we could perhaps have distributed some more of the leaflets.

In August 1992 Peter Dunn published an article in the Independent with the header,

Hanratty 'confessed his guilt' to RAF corporal

“JAMES HANRATTY confessed to committing the A6 murder in 1961 and boasted that the police would never be able to prove he did it, according to a new witness.
The claim coincides with a fresh initiative, by lawyers representing Hanratty's family, calling on the Home Office to reopen the case.
Hanratty, who protested his innocence to the end, was executed in April 1962 for the murder of Michael Gregsten in a lay-by on the A6 the previous August. Gregsten's girlfriend, Valerie Storie, was raped, shot and left for dead at the same time.
A book by Paul Foot, Who Killed Hanratty?, produced witnesses in 1971 who maintained that Hanratty was in Rhyl, north Wales, on the night of the shootings. In April this year, in Hanratty: Mystery of Dead Man's Hill, a documentary for Yorkshire TV, the film-maker Bob Woffinden called for DNA tests to be carried out to establish the true identity of the murderer.
Now, to the dismay of the pro- Hanratty lobby, a former RAF police corporal has come forward with an account of a conversation he says he had with Hanratty at RAF Halton near Wendover, Buckinghamshire, in late 1961.

John Needham, now 65 and a security guard at a country club outside Bath, says he was duty NCO in the guardroom on the night Hanratty was brought in to attend an identity parade.
'We stood in the rear of the guardroom and I asked him if he'd like a cigarette and a cup of coffee,' he said. 'We were just chatting. I asked him what he thought his chances were and he replied, 'They know I did it. I know I did it, but I don't think they can prove it. It's not up to me to help them'.
'After 30 years I can't remember anything else about the conversation except that it was very brief.
'He was quite openly cocky about it, very bumptious. I think he looked on it at the time as a bit of a game he was playing.'
Mr Needham gives a number of reasons for not revealing the conversation at the time - including distrust of the civilian police, forged by his own experience as a constable with the Wiltshire force, and preoccupation at the time with personal problems involving the break-up of his marriage.
He says he decided to go public when he saw a newspaper article complaining about miscarriages of justices and citing as an example the Hanratty case. 'I thought: 'God, is this never going to stop?' They all seemed to be talking from their own personal point of view, flogging it to death and I thought: 'At least I spoke to the man'.'
Mr Foot dismisses Mr Needham's evidence as absolute nonsense. 'There's no conceivable way Hanratty could have incriminated himself in this way,' he said. 'There's not one single example anywhere of him saying he'd had anything to do with the killing. We've 14 witnesses, including whole numbers of people who were not at the trial, who showed that Hanratty was in Rhyl.'Geoffrey Bindman, the solicitor representing Hanratty's mother and brother in the latest call for a judicial review, is equally dismissive. 'It's hard to understand why it's not already been accepted that Hanratty was not the murderer,' he said. 'The evidence against him was so full of holes. Frankly, the subsequent inquiry in 1975 was quite unsatisfactory.'
He said Mr Needham's story contained many absurdities, and he regretted that the Independent was giving it publicity
More:https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/hanratty-confessed-his-guilt-to-raf-corporal-1541371.html

DNA proves Hanratty guilt 'beyond doubt'
SCIENTIFIC evidence establishes "beyond doubt" that James Hanratty was the man who committed the notorious A6 murder more than 40 years ago, the Court of Appeal ruled yesterday.
Dismissing Hanratty's posthumous appeal, three judges headed by Lord Woolf, the Lord Chief Justice, said there was "overwhelming proof of the safety of the conviction".
Ironically, it was Hanratty's family who sought DNA tests on two items of evidence that had been preserved since the trial.
During the appeal, Hanratty's counsel conceded that, provided the possibility of contamination could be excluded, analysis of these items pointed conclusively to Hanratty having been the man who murdered Michael Gregsten, 36, a civil servant, and raped Mr Gregsten's lover, Valerie Storie, then 23.
Miss Storie, who was with her colleague on the night he was shot dead on the A6 near Bedford, was shot five times, leaving her paralysed from the waist down.
Hanratty, 25, was hanged in 1962, one of the last to suffer the death penalty in Britain. The case was referred back to the Court of Appeal in 1999 by the Criminal Cases Review Commission.
At a hearing in March, Lord Woolf, Lord Justice Mantell and Mr Justice Leveson heard Michael Mansfield, for Hanratty, argue 17 grounds of appeal.
Eleven of these grounds were based on alleged failures by the prosecution to disclose material to the defence. The others related to the identification parade at which Miss Storie identified Hanratty, police interviews and the conduct of the trial.
However, the Crown relied - unusually - on new genetic profiling of semen samples found on a fragment of Miss Storie's underwear, which had been kept in the police laboratory since 1961.
That, and DNA tests on nasal mucus found on the handkerchief in which the murder weapon had been wrapped, were compared with DNA samples taken from the body of Hanratty in 2000.
To obtain genetic profiles from the small samples available, scientists used highly sensitive DNA amplification techniques that were not available as recently as 1995.
Mr Mansfield had argued that the DNA evidence should not be admitted, saying that the Crown could call fresh evidence only to rebut evidence from an appellant.
He also maintained that the DNA deposits on the underwear and handkerchief could have resulted from subsequent contamination. Rejecting both these arguments, the judges concluded that the "DNA evidence, standing alone, is certain proof of guilt".
The idea that one of the items might have been contaminated was "fanciful". In the court's view, "the DNA evidence made what was a strong case even stronger".
The judges accepted that, "even by contemporary standards of the time, there are criticisms of some substance which can be made as to the procedural defects" in the trial process.
But these "fell far short of what is required to lead to the conclusion that the trial should be regarded as flawed and this conviction unsafe on procedural grounds".
Michael Sherrard, QC, who was Hanratty's defence counsel 40 years ago and was in court yesterday, had opened the defence case by saying that the case was "sagging with coincidences".
The court responded by listing nine coincidences that would have to be explained in the light of the DNA evidence if Hanratty was not guilty.
"The number of alleged coincidences means that they are not coincidences but overwhelming proof of the safety of the conviction from an evidential perspective."
At the end of their judgment, which took the judges three hours to read out, they commended Hanratty's family "for the extraordinary loyalty and commitment they have shown to what they thought was a just cause".
More:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1393842/DNA-proves-Hanratty-guilt-beyond-doubt.html

At the subsequent appeal hearing in 2002, Michael Mansfield QC, the barrister acting for the Hanratty family, admitted that, if contamination could be excluded, the DNA evidence demonstrated James Hanratty had committed the murder and rape. He argued the evidence may have been contaminated because of lax handling procedures.
The DNA evidence convinced the Court of Appeal judges in 2002 that Hanratty’s guilt was proved “beyond doubt” but Hanratty’s family and their supporters have continued to contest this conclusion and to press for a further review of his conviction.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/crime-files-reopened-james-hanratty-11074437

Hanratty may still be innocent, OK? by Paul Foot April 2001
When the police and prosecution applied some months ago for permission to exhume the body of James Hanratty, who was hanged in 1962 for the A6 murder, lawyers for the Hanratty family did not oppose the application, but denounced it as a pointless exercise. It now appears that the exercise was not pointless at all. The point was to provide a front page story for the Daily Mail.
More than two years ago, I attended a press conference in the offices of Bindman and Partners, lawyers to the Hanratty family for the past 33 years. The press conference was called because the criminal cases review commission had referred the Hanratty case to the court of appeal. The main reason for the referral was that every single new discovery by the commission's investigators pointed to Hanratty's innocence. In particular, two witnesses who identified Hanratty as a man they had seen driving the murder car in London on the morning after the murder were discredited by the rather shocking fact that the murder car was nowhere near London at the time. Moreover, the police knew this perfectly well but had not disclosed the information to the prosecution, let alone the defence.
There were many other matters relating to the police handling of the case that plainly disturbed the CCRC investigators, who were led by a former chief constable of Hertfordshire. The case was one of the first to be thoroughly investigated by the CCRC, and by October 1997 the investigators were quite satisfied that a miscarriage of justice had taken place. They prepared to refer the case to the court of appeal.
Before they did so, they carried out DNA tests on some of the exhibits connected with the murder, including fragments of clothing worn at the time by Valerie Storie, who was in the car with Michael Gregsten when he was murdered and was herself shot by the killer and left for dead at the roadside.
To everyone's astonishment, and in clear contrast to all the rest of the evidence, the tests showed a match between the DNA on the exhibits and swabs taken from Hanratty's brother and mother, who had since died. These DNA findings were plainly and honestly reported in the commission's report. The report made it clear that in the commission's view, given the possibility of contamination over such a long period of time, the tests were not conclusive of Hanratty's guilt and should be discussed and considered, with all the other evidence, in the court of appeal.
Bob Woffinden and I, who have written books claiming Hanratty's innocence, were asked about these tests and could only say that the case for Hanratty's innocence is stronger than it ever was, and that if the DNA suggests otherwise there must be something wrong with the DNA.
In the two and a half years since, several more DNA tests have been carried out, all showing a match between Hanratty and the exhibits. A common feature of all these tests is that their results have been leaked to the Sun or Daily Mail or both. The certain result of the recent tests on the exhumed body was that they would prove a match and would be exclusively reported in the Sun or the Mail.
Last time the lucky recipient of the leak was the Sun, whose laughable headline was "Hanratty was guilty - official". This time the Mail seems to be the lucky paper. It came up with an original headline on the front page to celebrate the point: "Hanratty was guilty".
Well, the matter still has to be decided by the court of appeal, which for all its failings is more likely to give a hearing to a fair argument than the Sun or the Mail has ever been. (Or not quite ever. When my book on the A6 case came out in 1971, it was serialised over two weeks in the Sun.) When the case does finally come to the court, I hope at least that the judges will seek to establish who leaked the confidential results of the DNA tests and how much they were paid for their leaking.
While we wait for the public argument about all the evidence I shall go on believing firmly in what I can understand: such as where Hanratty was at the time of the murder and what he was doing there, how the police dealt with identification evidence, and how anyone arrived at the ludicrous coincidence that the alleged A6 murderer happened by chance to be staying (on the night before the murder) in the same doss house as was the first police suspect, Peter Alphon. It was the police hunt for Alphon that led them to the Vienna Hotel, Maida Vale, where he said he stayed on the night of the murder.
Until someone comes up with something to show that Hanratty was not in Rhyl on the night of the murder (or in Liverpool on the afternoon before the murder) I will go on believing his story and obstinately refusing to accept the carefully considered verdicts of the editors of the Sun and the Mail.
https://www.theguardian.com/Columnists/Column/0,5673,468282,00.html

Peter Alphon
“Doubts about the identity of the killer were dismissed, however, by Mr Alphon. In an interview with The Independent, in which he denied his own involvement, Mr Alphon set out his own theory. He said that Hanratty was a "psychopath" who had been hired by the wife of the dead man and her lover. Earlier this month, Mr Alphon sent a letter to the Home Secretary, saying "...the nightmare has persisted through four decades of controversy and speculation surrounding the case".
He added: "My victimisation both at the hands of the police and my defamers in the media dates from when Scotland Yard quite unjustifiably caused my name to be blazoned across the headlines ..."
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/wrongly-hanged-hanratty-is-found-innocent-1285402.html

How the psychopath can fool you...James Hanratty
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=369.msg7846

DNA Proof 40 Years After A Cowardly Murder Shuts Down A Fact-Fogging Campaign For The Murderer

Excerpts:
Implications for PR campaigns

”The DNA tests carried out by the FFS that finally provided definitive proof that James Hanratty killed Michael Gregsten and raped and shot Valerie Storie more or less stopped the bandwagon dead in its tracks.

But there had been for decades almost fanatical and very vociferous support for someone who’d been unanimously convicted of murder, many of whom stood to gain, though it didnt have too much effect except to have the case looked at and found solid twice.

James Hanratty’s supporters claimed that he had no motive, that the police framed him, and that the DNA evidence was contaminated by the government’s experts. NONE of this was proved. Unless there is actual proof of dastardly plots and contamination, these claims against the authorities are unfruitful and unfair.

The most important lesson to be learnt from the A6 murder case is that a bandwagon of journalists, politicians, human rights campaigners, lawyers, writers, filmmakers and celebrities being absolutely convinced of someone’s innocence does not make him or her innocent in fact.

Even intelligent and well-intentioned people like Paul Foot and David Steel can mistakenly believe a killer is innocent and shrug off the pain the victims’ families must feel

http://truejustice.org/ee/index.php?/tjmk/comments/dna_proof_40_years_after_a_cowardly_murder_shuts_down/

Would be interested to learn who at the CCRC reviewed the James Hanratty case https://ccrc.gov.uk/case/hanratty-james/

Vital evidence which could have led to the acquittal of James Hanratty, executed for the A6 murder in 1962, was suppressed at the time of his trial, it emerged yesterday.
One of the most celebrated alleged miscarriage of justice cases was yesterday referred back to the Court of Appeal as the dead man's lawyers, family and campaign supporters expressed astonishment at the extent of evidence which has only now been disclosed.

“The suppression of vital information by senior police officers, a lack of disclosure of information to the defence and a flawed process of identification were given as the reasons for the decision.

“The amount of information not disclosed by the prosecution at the trial is very substantial,' said Geoffrey Bindman, solicitor for the family since 1974. 'If that material had been disclosed, James Hanratty would not have been convicted.'

The CCRC inquiry, led by the former assistant chief constable of the Metropolitan police, Baden Skitt, had been allowed access to material stored by the Metropolitan police but not released to the defence team. Some of the information was not even shown to the prosecution.

'It's quite clear that the CCRC is shocked by the non-disclosure,' said Mr Foot. He said that even people who had been working on the case for more that a quarter of century were amazed at the depth of material suppressed.

'The commission has expressed very serious concerns that vital evidence has been suppressed,' said Mr Bindman. 'There was information which, had it been disclosed, would have led to the acquittal of James Hanratty.'

Cases being examined by the Criminal Cases Review Commission were now being subjected to 'unacceptable delay' , the committee concludes in its assessment of the commission's first two years' work. Chaired by Chris Mullin, it concluded the CCRC had made a good start and congratulated the body on its 'professionalism, independence and openness.'

So far 43 cases have been referred back.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/mar/30/1
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 12:55:47 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #1040 on: February 10, 2020, 01:22:14 PM »
I find this an extremely naive and gullible move by Michael Naughton https://www.bristol.ac.uk/law/news/2018/dr-michael-naughton-introduces-new-book.html

The need for due diligence isn’t needed solely whilst using Twitter. http://michaeljnaughton.com/?p=1542

Michael Naughton claims;

“Earlier this month (August 2017), a row erupted on my Twitter timeline of the like I have not previously witnessed  amongst what might loosely be called the ‘prison reform community’, comprised of former prisoners, family members of currently serving and former prisoners, prison lawyers, students and academics.

But that’s not entirely true is it Dr Naughton? You were once very familiar with the fallings out of the varying ‘prison reform community’, comprised of former prisoners, family members of currently serving and former prisoners, prison lawyers, students and academics. and were once yourself very much caught up in it.

Remember this https://www.theguardian.com/law/2011/jan/09/innocence-project-conviction-hilary-swank - the Higham burglary, the knife, Campbell Malone, Lynn Hall, Shaun Hall, Steffie Bon, Sandra Lean, Billy Middleton, Mike O’Brien, etc?

Barry George’s campaign has been blighted with similar such experiences but there has been a conscience attempt at covering up these rows, which are glaringly obvious when you compare and contrast Michelle Diskin Bates book with that of her uncle Mike’s and begin to read between the lines of the many newspaper articles and other mediums used to promote the fallacies.

Michael Naughton goes on:
“I immediately put his name into Google on my phone to very quickly find that he was convicted of a highly publicised and most pernicious and disturbing gendered crime against a young woman, the like of which would certainly make most (particularly women) want to steer clear of him altogether.

WHAT about Barry George’s highly publicised and proven crimes? Shall we sweep them under the carpet and pretend they never happened? What rehabilitation did he receive, if any? It might be worth researching the Barry George case and all the individuals involved because when you do, all is not as it seems and Michelle Diskin Bates narrative stops adding up. The case against her brother becomes much clearer and plausible.

Why is Barry George still being monitored under MAPPA? (Source: ‘Stand Against Injustice Oct 2018)

“On Sunday November 10th we had agreed on the first page of the website. I wrote to MOJO suggesting that we should form a united campaign front for Barry. The ‘site was up and running by the 20th, www.barrygeorge.co.uk ‘He’s Net Guilty’, the Irish Mirror reported, next to a large photo of Michelle and Margaret. The Guardian also gave it a mention in an article on prisoner websites. MOJO’s Hazel Keirle wrote to me, saying that MOJO was not in any way a campaign group, but she advised that I could form a campaign. So with the help of the webmaster Mick Lynch I contacted the ‘Irish In Britain Representation Group’ or the IBRG to see if they would help.

“I went to London on December 12 and met Pat Reynolds, the IBRG Chairman, at Margaret’s house. We discussed a campaign plan, and agreed to think things over. Pat then spoke to Michelle on the phone, but she was now tied up with MOJO and told Pat that Barry already had their support. The campaign was hampered from the word go but I was determined to push ahead and managed to persuade Pat to remain on board.

Courtesy of Michael Bourke - ‘Mike’s Story’ https://www.bookdepository.com/Mikes-Story-Mike-Burke/9781907163449
“On January 25th 2003 the Justice for Barry or JfB campaign emerged. There was no fanfare but I knew that Barry and his mother were in favour of it and that was the relevant test. JfB was always a small loosely knit group and we did not normally seek or encourage people to join us, though we sought support for the cause. We feared police or journalist infiltration, and I would point to the group MOJO as justification of that caution. I believe that if the campaign rather than Barry had become the focus of attention it would not have stood the test of time, and we were in it for the long haul, in good times and bad. Mostly bad.

I designed a leaflet and Mick made up a prototype which I then got printed. The leaflet described Barry as a proud Englishman with Welsh Irish roots. He was described as not a devil, not a saint, but perhaps a Scapegoat. It then pointed to some shortcomings of the jury, and there followed a description of the case against Barry, and the scant forensic evidence. It also contained a list of people who felt or expressed CONCERN at the safety of Barry’s conviction. Eventually I had a short list, small in number but impressive in quality. The list consisted of Willie O Dea, TD. John McDonnell, MP. Professor Tim Valentine. Jim Nichol, Solicitor. John Witzenfeld. Solicitor. Pat Reynolds, Chairman IBRG. Dr Chris R Tame, Director Libertarian Alliance. Billy Power and Paddy Hill. (Birmingham Six) Andy Parr. (Cricket writer) Paul Foot, Journalist. Later I would get a few more names. They were Jeremy Corbyn, MP. John McManus, MOJO. LA Naylor, author of HOW MANY ARE INNOCENT. Senator Labhras O Murchu. Professor Elizabeth Loftus, ‘Memory expert’ who was concerned at witnesses recollections. Seamus Healy TD. Dan Neville TD. The leaflet ended with information on our website and a request for concerned people to write to their local politician or MEP, and a mention of Martin Jeremiah and his album Day Off For The Queen. I planned to distribute some at the London Saint Patrick’s Day Festival in March. I also sent some to politicians, the Home Office etc. Michelle phoned to tell me that she would also be in London, as MOJO were holding a public meeting in the House of Commons. I was not invited which I thought was a pity as we could perhaps have distributed some more of the leaflets.

Love Peace Justice. We distributed some JfB lea flets and then sat around the main stage and listened to the Bands. It reminded me of the pop festivals of the early 1970s as the sun shone down on the Tolpuddle fields. Many people carried anti Bush Blair and Iraq War banners saying BLiar Out. Later, when Martin and Vicky had departed on their coach back to West Sussex I visited the Martyr’s Museum which gives a good account of the birth of the English trade unions. I bought a Martyr’s T-Shirt and a badge and then I drove back to Dorchester. Next day I drove up to London. It was a brilliant sunny day as I drove along parts of England I had not seen before. I entered London via the M25, straight into a traffic jam. I stayed in London for two nights, but I felt a little ill from the moment I arrived. Maybe it was from the smog, or perhaps it was the comedown from the freedom of Tolpuddle. While in London I responded by e-mail to News of the World reporter Danielle Gusmaroldi who claimed she wanted to support Barry. She wanted to visit him but I advised her that he would probably not agree to that. I went home on Wednesday 21st. On August 1st Margaret told me that the reporter had written to Barry, and he was mad at me as a result. If I done nothing he would be mad at me, and if I did something he would also be mad with me. Sometimes one just can’t win. I went to see him on the 7th and we had a blazing row in which I threatened to walk away and pull the plug on the campaign and website. The row was quickly over and we had our tea and settled down for what turned out to be quite a good visit. I could appreciate how he felt about reporters, and I agreed with him when he said he didn’t want visits from them. After all they had portrayed him as some kind of a monster, and helped the Crown’s case against him, so how could he appreciate that we would now need to use them to try and turn around public opinion?[/i]

“On August 26th a new website www.barrygeorge.com replaced the original one which had run into a few problems. On September 5th I read an e-mail from Scott Lomax telling me about a BBC reporter, Raphael Rowe, who hoped to make a programme about Barry. I made some discreet enquiries and I was told that ‘He is a good guy, genuine’. I was happy with that recommendation and decided to contact him. I phoned him the next day and we had a good long chat. He was quite up to speed having looked at the websites and appeal court links. I agreed to contact Barry and his solicitor to see if they might cooperate with a TV programme. I later spoke to Pat Reynolds who was very enthusiastic when I mentioned Panorama, saying that Panorama could be seen as a turning point, the beginning of the end. I next visited Barry on Friday October 8th. I was suffering from a heavy cold, and family tensions were again running high, otherwise the visit went ok. On the way back to East Acton I saw on the headlines that the hostage Ken Bigley had been killed in Iraq. I got fish and chips and had quiet a miserable evening. ‘Why the hell am I doing this?’ I wondered, not for the first time.

That evening I met David James Smith at Starbucks in Hammersmith, where we discussed aspects of Jill Dando’s murder which concerned me. David believed that I was on the wrong track but I was convinced that more people could have known of Jill’s intention to visit her house on the day of her murder than we were led to believe. I also wondered how many people might have had keys to her house.

And why does Michelle Diskin Bates never appear to mention her uncle Mike Bourke’s efforts?

Michael Bourke referred to his nephew Barry George as, ‘a proud Englishman with Welsh Irish roots. He was described as not a devil, not a saint, but perhaps a Scapegoat’

Barry George was ‘not a saint’ according to his uncle but had a history of stalking and sexually assaulting women.

Michelle Diskin Bates chooses to dismiss her brothers history of stalking etc, instead choosing to accuse others of stalking her. Why?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 02:20:37 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #1041 on: February 10, 2020, 06:16:26 PM »
Michelle Diskin Bates has recently been asked to speak at a conference by the association for women barristers in conjunction with MTC solicitors. Apparently she’s down to speak about her brothers ‘miscarriage of justice’ (Which the Supreme Court deemed he wasn’t) and will be speaking about how she has been affected. Should be an interesting conference, especially if she’s asked about her apparent lies and misleading nonsense.
@Michelle_Diskin
Here is a review of the recent conference I was invited (and honoured) to speak at. It is by a student barrister,Tanya Beck, and she has agreed I can post her words up on this page. She has covered the conference with great clarity and I send my thanks.

On Women: Miscarriages of Justice and Criminal Deportations (the Association of Women Barristers...
I joined the Association of women barristers less than a week ago and immediately applied to attend this conference titled “women: miscarriages of justice and criminal deportations.“ Being the nerd...
linkedin.com https://mobile.twitter.com/Michelle_Diskin/status/1226881534055022597

Student barrister Tanya Beck blog is worth a read https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/association-women-barristers-event-miscarriages-justice-tanya-beck

On Michelle Diskin Bates she states,

“The evening started with our keynote speaker, Michelle Diskin “I’m an enemy of the State” Bates, sister of Barry George who was wrongly convicted of the murder of journalist Jill Dando. Michelle spent years fighting the criminal justice system to try and achieve justice for her brother, when the evidence against him was weak at best: “The police choose their man and after that they wear blinkers.” When it comes to access to justice, she says that  “Truth and justice have no place in the justice system: only points of law.”

I presume Michelle Diskin Bates has referred to herself as ‘an enemy of state’?

Might be worth her while understanding what is meant by using this turn of phrase.

An enemy of the state is a person accused of certain crimes against the state, such as treason. Describing individuals in this way is sometimes a manifestation of political repression. For example, an authoritarian regime may purport to maintain national security by describing social or political dissidents as "enemies of the state." In other cases, the individual in question may have in fact endangered the country and its population
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_of_the_state

I”d describe Michelle Diskin Bates as beguiling, deluding and fallacious.

Maybe there’s more to why she chooses to see herself this way, presuming this is what she said?

The police didn’t choose ‘their man’ in this case. It was almost a year after Jill Dando’s murder before Barry George was finally apprehended. One of the reasons he wasn’t caught sooner was the fact he had used so many aliases over the years and was calling himself Bulsara at the time of the murder - therefore it’s unlikely his previous convictions and intelligence on him were flagging up.

There’s also no evidence to suggest the police were blinkered in arresting and charging her brother with murder, no matter how many times she repeats it. Barry George brought it on himself. His own actions gave him away.

How did Barry George KNOW he looked like the prime suspect on the day of Jill Dando’s murder if police didn’t release the E-Fit photo until 4 days after the murder?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1349115.stm

Dando accused 'set up alibi' at health centre by Nick Hopkins 15 May 2001 
“The man accused of murdering Jill Dando told staff at a health centre that he was worried because he looked like the prime suspect and had been intimidated by the police on another occasion, the Old Bailey heard yesterday.
Read more here https://www.theguardian.com/media/2001/may/15/broadcasting.jilldando
https://www.thejusticegap.com/uks-first-specialist-miscarriage-of-justice-law-firm-goes-live/

Michelle Diskin Bates apparently says ’truth and justice have no place in the justice system.’

Yet another telling statement from her, again presuming this is what she said.

truth
/truːθ/
noun
1. the quality or state of being true."he had to accept the truth of her accusation"

justice
/ˈdʒʌstɪs/
noun
1. 1. 
just behaviour or treatment."a concern for justice, peace, and genuine respect for people"

From Michelle Diskin Bates point of view, I agree it’s unlikely she’ll ever know truth or justice because of the path she’s chosen.

I’ve no doubt the student barrister who met her, will one day recognise in her what many others before her have finally recognised.

And maybe one day so will Dr Michael Naughton?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 07:18:07 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #1042 on: February 11, 2020, 12:28:43 AM »
“Chief inspector Campbell added:
'The Dando investigation is clear on what evidence it has at a forensic level, and what the witnesses said they saw or heard or knew in 1999. They remain unchanged.'
TV investigator Mark Williams-Thomas last year claimed he had been given the name of the killer.
But Mr Campbell said all 'new leads' that crop up as years go by should be questioned.
'Especially when persons state the theories through the media or TV, and not the police,' he said

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6948879/Jill-Dandos-death-unexplained-unless-gun-used-kill-found.html

Matthew Young and James Rodger reported in July 2016 for Birmingham live, on Barry George

“But despite being acquitted 10 years ago he says he does “not feel free” and is “looking over my shoulder”.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/barry-george-threatened-gunpoint-lives-14916710

Barry George talks about the morning of the murder by Matthew Young (2018)

not feel free” and is “looking over my shoulder”.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gunman-told-barry-george-watch-12932133

Looking over my shoulder
to behave in a way that shows you feel nervous about something that might happen
He was constantly looking over his shoulder, afraid his past crimes would catch up with him
https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/look-over-your-shoulder
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 09:41:07 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #1043 on: February 12, 2020, 11:44:43 AM »
Evasive in interviews
When George was arrested, he told detectives he had not heard of Miss Dando before she died, and did not know Gowan Avenue, even though the road was close to the flat where he had lived for 10 years.

He initially denied featuring in a photograph which showed a man wearing a respirator and holding a gun but changed his story when detectives told him it had been taken from his home.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/jul/02/jilldando2

Michelle Diskin Bates gives her version of events regarding her interview with Martin Bashir in her book ‘Stand Against Injustice’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iJGmjFqFdE

There’s no doubt to me she too was evasive when certain questions were posed

In 2001 she claimed,

“Barry lived alone but there was never anyone to check that he was OK. He should have been monitored,"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-58143/Wrong-man-convicted-Dando-killing-says-sister.html

Another telling statement especially given the fact she’d been estranged from him for 12 years.

He should have been monitored” and ever since he was acquitted he has been - by MAPPA

July 2001
The jury was not told that women in his locality had reported odd experiences or been followed by an unknown man, because evidence of George's "unusual conduct" was ruled inadmissible during lengthy legal arguments before the trial started.
The jury was also not told that George had a criminal record, which marked him out for police attention long before Miss Dando's murder.
When he was 22 he was convicted at the Old Bailey of attempting to rape a language student and in 1988 he was questioned about a series of rapes.
Police believe George followed Miss Dando on several occasions before he killed her.“

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/jul/02/jilldando

So what will Michelle Diskin Bates make of the current argument being made in the Bamber case over discrepancies in the case papers and will she reflect on her brothers case?

Mark Newby, a solicitor advocate at Quality Solicitors Jordans, which represents Bamber, told the Guardian:

“The jury only heard of the two shots, which was relied upon by the crown to support their case, but this wasn’t the whole picture. It represents yet another significant aspect to this case which supports Jeremy Bamber and undermines this conviction.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/11/jeremy-bamber-lawyers-say-new-evidence-undermines-conviction

What about the wealth of material the jury at Barry Georges retrial never got to hear ?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:48:19 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #1044 on: February 13, 2020, 10:48:14 AM »
.And maybe one day so will Dr Michael Naughton?

Referring to the book, ‘The Criminal Cases Review Commission: Hope for the Innocent? by Dr Michael Naughton’

Empowering the Innocent (ETI)
@EmpowerInnocent
This book shows the failings of the CCRC in dealing with innocent victims of wrongful conviction and/or imprisonment and the urgent need for the repeal of s.13 of the Criminal Appeal Act 1995 - the "real possibility test": http://michaeljnaughton.com/?page_id=876 #injustice
@APPGMJ https://mobile.twitter.com/EmpowerInnocent/status/1163817666999570436

@Michelle_Diskin
Aug 26, 2019
Replying to
@EmpowerInnocent
 and
@APPGMJ
Definitely the wrong saviour 😇

Hanksoff03
@hanksoff03
Feb 9
This book is a must for anyone hungry4knowledge about the relationship between the CCRC and wrongful convictions - Can`t recommend highly enough- `Knowledge is power`+we`re only ever going2force change by `knowing` as much a possible.Put the energy wasted on anger into learning x

Hanksoff03
@hanksoff03
I`m going2use the vital info within this book to highlight the enormous issues2my MP
@JulianSturdy
+Minister
@morton_wendy
 who are`nt specialists on miscarriages so won`t know~We need2make it our business2get the knowledge+share it with other `powers that be`, who can then help us

@EmpowerInnocent
Feb 11
This is precisely what it should be used for. It’s why some of us undertake critical research to highlight the limitations and/or outright failings of the @ccrcupdate in assisting innocent victims of wrongful convictions; to give victims and families ammunition for their voices.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EmpowerInnocent/status/1227163477338357761

So what were the ‘limitations/outright failings of the’ Criminal Cases Review Commission in cases like Simon Hall, Stephen Downing, Barry George etc and what did Dr Michael Naughtons ‘critical research’ uncover?

And how does the ‘Post Office IT scandal’ impact on the Robin Garbutt case and the murder of Diane Garbutt?

“Garbutt, who had already served 60 customers before dialling 999 at 8.37am, had in fact battered Diana to death with an iron bar as she lay in bed up to six hours earlier.
He also told police that the robbers had stolen £10,000 from the shop in the village of  Melsonby, North Yorkshire.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1378499/Postmaster-Robin-Garbutt-blamed-robbers-murder-wife-Diana.html
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:10:41 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #1045 on: February 13, 2020, 02:06:28 PM »
Referring to the book, ‘The Criminal Cases Review Commission: Hope for the Innocent? by Dr Michael Naughton’

@EmpowerInnocent
This book shows the failings of the CCRC in dealing with innocent victims of wrongful conviction and/or imprisonment and the urgent need for the repeal of s.13 of the Criminal Appeal Act 1995 - the "real possibility test": http://michaeljnaughton.com/?page_id=876 #injustice
@APPGMJ https://mobile.twitter.com/EmpowerInnocent/status/1163817666999570436

@Michelle_Diskin
Aug 26, 2019
Replying to
@EmpowerInnocent
 and
@APPGMJ
Definitely the wrong saviour 😇

Hanksoff03
@hanksoff03
Feb 9
This book is a must for anyone hungry4knowledge about the relationship between the CCRC and wrongful convictions - Can`t recommend highly enough- `Knowledge is power`+we`re only ever going2force change by `knowing` as much a possible.Put the energy wasted on anger into learning x

Hanksoff03
@hanksoff03
I`m going2use the vital info within this book to highlight the enormous issues2my MP
@JulianSturdy
+Minister
@morton_wendy
 who are`nt specialists on miscarriages so won`t know~We need2make it our business2get the knowledge+share it with other `powers that be`, who can then help us

@EmpowerInnocent
Feb 11
This is precisely what it should be used for. It’s why some of us undertake critical research to highlight the limitations and/or outright failings of the @ccrcupdate in assisting innocent victims of wrongful convictions; to give victims and families ammunition for their voices.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EmpowerInnocent/status/1227163477338357761

So what were the ‘limitations/outright failings of the’ Criminal Cases Review Commission in cases like Simon Hall, Stephen Downing, Barry George etc and what did Dr Michael Naughtons ‘critical research’ uncover?

And how does the ‘Post Office IT scandal’ impact on the Robin Garbutt case and the murder of Diane Garbutt?

“Garbutt, who had already served 60 customers before dialling 999 at 8.37am, had in fact battered Diana to death with an iron bar as she lay in bed up to six hours earlier.
He also told police that the robbers had stolen £10,000 from the shop in the village of  Melsonby, North Yorkshire.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1378499/Postmaster-Robin-Garbutt-blamed-robbers-murder-wife-Diana.html

In 2013, around the time Simon Halls guilt was exposed, another book by Dr Michael Naughton was published,

The Innocent and the Criminal Justice System”
A Sociological Analysis of Miscarriages of Justice
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/spais/people/person/michael-j-naughton/pub/8405949

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #1046 on: February 14, 2020, 09:19:03 AM »
The interview also highlights the ‘life on Mars’ comment made by Paul Blackburn’s solicitor Glyn Maddocks,

A solicitor has condemned police for using a "Life on Mars excuse" after they refused to apologise to a man jailed wrongly for 25 years by saying that rules and methods were very different at the time of the original investigation.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/nov/04/paul-blackburn-cheshire-police

In 2012 Jon Robins (founder of the Justice Gap) refers to it here https://www.thejusticegap.com/wrongly-accused-who-is-responsible-for-investigating-miscarriages/ promoting ‘Wrongly accused: who is responsible for investigating miscarriages of justice?’

Since the creation of the CCRC it seems fair to say concern over miscarriages of justice appears to have slipped from the radar of public consciousness. The topic has been consigned to some distant ‘Life on Mars’ past. The media, which did so much of the spadework exposing the notorious miscarriages through the 1970s and 1980s through for example the BBC’s Rough Justice, has long given up. The broadcaster pulled the plug on Rough Justice after 25 years in 2007, Michael Jackson, chief exec of Channel 4, dismissed Trial & Error, which also investigated miscarriages, and its subject matter as a ‘bit 1980s’.

Similarly Hannah Quirk refers to ‘life on Mars’ in her Sept 2014 article headed,

The end of innocence, and the chance of a new beginning’

in the justice gap here https://www.thejusticegap.com/end-innocence-new-beginning/ where she claims,

In this country, a range of measures governing the collection and use of evidence has reduced the most egregious errors – the television series Life on Mars was founded on the audience recognising how policing had changed since the 1970s. Unlike in the USA, very few cases turn on DNA analysis which means that most appeals are on the basis of unsafety – we can never know with certainty whether the individuals were factually innocent or not.’

Mass murderer Jeremy Bamber also referred to ‘life on Mars’ when being interviewed by David James Smith

It was, Bamber pointed out to me, the days of life on Mars, the drama that depicted the bad old days of policing (He has seen the show on TV in prison. And loves it)

http://davidjamessmith.net/pdf_articles/DJS_bamber.pdf

Opinion of Michelle Diskin Bates on Julie Mugford

@Michelle_Diskin
Replying to
@jbcampaignltd
 and
@UKChange
If her story was true she would be an accessory to murder. Under @JointEnterprise she would have been convicted of murder too, if she truly knew he was going to murder his family and didn’t do anything to help them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Michelle_Diskin/status/1228048140772823040
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:00:54 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #1047 on: February 14, 2020, 08:46:14 PM »
@Michelle_Diskin
Don’t forget Barry. He was told, with glee, that he would never receive a penny, leaving the public to speculate on whether he had actually been guilty, unanimous not guilty verdict aside. #guiltytillproveninnocent

https://mobile.twitter.com/Michelle_Diskin/status/1228418555328237569

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #1048 on: February 16, 2020, 10:21:32 AM »
Michelle Diskin Bates refers to ‘the shepherd bush murders’ in her book ‘Stand Against Injustice’ - interestingly she doesn’t use the name ‘Harry Roberts’ but claimed her and her younger siblings witnessed the shootings.

Roberts' name has been used for many years to antagonise the police, with chants like "Harry Roberts is our friend, is our friend, is our friend. Harry Roberts is our friend, he kills coppers. Let him out to kill some more, kill some more, kill some more, let him out to kill some more, Harry Roberts" as well as "He shot three down in Shepherd's Bush, Shepherd's Bush, Shepherd's Bush. He shot three down in Shepherd's Bush, our mate Harry" (to the tune of "London Bridge Is Falling Down"),[24][25][26][27] which originated with groups of young people outside Shepherd's Bush police station after Roberts had been arrested
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Roberts_(criminal)

that's interesting if Barry witnessed that dreadful crime.

According to the book, she had to pull Barry away (can’t remember what was written word for word)

If you read and contrast the two books,  ‘Stand Against Injustice’ & ‘Mikes Story’ it’s as though they make excuses for Barry’s behaviour.

At times Mike Bourke seems to have had serious doubts but doesn’t explore them in any detail.

Mike Bourke, Barry and Michelle's uncle from Limerick, said the family was "relieved and happy" that the conviction was quashed.
"We haven't been able to talk to him yet because he is still a prisoner.
"We're all pretty pleased. I have always thought he was innocent.
"He said to me a while back that he would rot in jail if we didn't fight to get him out."
Barry believed the police should be looking for the real killer of the famous BBC star, he said.
Mr Bourke added: "Even if Barry was released now people will say he just got away with it"

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/family-tells-of-relief-after-win-in-fight-to-clear-dando-accused-26332118.html

“Mr George’s mother Margaret also hailed from Limerick, and it was here that Mike observed some unusual behaviour, when they would come over on holiday from London. But in spite of some niggling concerns he stood by him.”
https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/arts-entertainment/136085/Limerick-man-writes-book-about-Dando.html
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 10:53:42 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #1049 on: February 16, 2020, 11:18:46 AM »
Feb 2019 by James Murray for the Express

”With their elderly mother, Margaret, wilting under the pressure of the media interest, it fell on Barry's sister Michelle Diskin Bates, a mother of three living near Cork in Ireland, to speak for the family.

She continues to defend him to this day, but tells in her book, Stand Against Injustice, how high a toll the case has taken.

Devoutly religious, Michelle always maintained a smart, dignified and confident public personna as debate about her rather odd brother raged for years.
Hi
But in a frank appraisal of two decades at the heart of one of the most compelling of murder mysteries, Michelle supplies many of the missing pieces from the family jigsaw.

"The healing of damaged relationships is difficult to achieve after a miscarriage of justice," Michelle reflects in her book.

"People have been hurt, words have been spoken that cannot be taken back. Trust will have broken down, and bitterness can become the driving force in many lives.

"Guilt, anger, fear, denial, pain, confusion and blame. These are all emotions I have either experienced or witnessed since Barry's release. Barry and I clashed many times - with me being the one to shout and scream at the poor guy for his unintentionally injurious effect on our family's life.

"I shouted, stormed and blazed. Barry looked on, confusion in his eyes, speaking words of apology to me. None of us had a magic wand to wave that would make all this disappear."

There was no hint of how life would turn out when Michelle's mother Margaret Bourke left her family's home in Limerick, aged just 15, to live with an aunt and uncle in London.

Margaret met Alfred Michael George, born in 1930, whose father was a corporal in the Army.

They settled in Fulham and were keen to start a family. Michelle was born in 1955. Susan following three years later, but she suffered epilepsy throughout her life and died while a young woman.

On Good Friday in 1960 Barry was born while the family was living in White City.

When he was five Michelle took him to a local outdoor pool and was aghast when she spotted him lying face down in the water.

Plucked unconscious from the pool he came around but harboured a lifelong fear of water.

With Barry's undiagnosed autism Michelle found it hard to reason with his actions, such as the time he jumped into a milk float aged six and took it for a drive or when he was hospitalised after covering himself in petrol. Aged seven he set his bedroom on fire while playing with matches.

But in 1981 he was convicted of indecent assault for which he was given a suspended sentence. Two years later he was jailed for attempted rape.

Michelle found his conduct hard to deal with. "I visited him in prison but it was not a comfortable time for Barry. I was incensed at his behaviour and let him know it," she says.

Preferring to live in Ireland, Michelle rarely saw her brother. In 1988 she met him briefly after bringing two of her children to London but said: "The next time I saw Barry was in 2000 when he was on remand for murder."

He was charged with killing Jill Dando. The Crimewatch and Holiday presenter was shot through the head on the doorstep of her home in Gowan Avenue, Fulham, on April 26, 1999.

Arrested a year after the crime, Scotland Yard built a circumstantial case, but the Old Bailey jury was swung by forensic evidence suggesting residue from a firearm was on his coat and newspaper stories about Dando, 37, were found at his ramshackle home.

After he was convicted, a photo of a masked man with a gun went around the world. It was, said police, George himself, with the photo found on undeveloped film at his home.

Michelle said: "The films contained many subjects, as well as images of women he had seen in the street. Some had been taken with permission and some covertly.

"Not one image had ever been viewed by Barry they were undeveloped. He was not at home poring over them night after night, salivating, which was the implication by the prosecution at trial and by the media. Neither had he set eyes on a photo of someone in a gas mask and holding a broken gun. To this day Barry believes it wasn't him in that photo but a friend of his.

"The photo had been taken in the 1980s and lay undisturbed and undeveloped until the year 2000 when the police found the roll."

George maintained he was at the offices of a housing charity at the time of the murder.

During his first trial and later, when she devoted years of her life to proving his innocence, Michelle stayed with her mother, amid simmering tensions.

At one stage Michelle told her: "I'm sorry but I've had enough. I'm not taking any more of this attitude from you. This is your son I'm supporting, not mine. My son is back in Cork with his two sisters, all missing their mum. Either this sniping ends or I go home. If I can't stay here, I can't continue to do what I'm doing for Barry. You decide."

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/1085540/jill-dando-murder-brother-wrongly-imprisoned-barry-george-life

The above article includes a photo of Michelle Diskin Bates with Surjit Singh Clair

Judge Robert Orme said Cotter (29) and co-conspirators Surjit Singh Clair (31) and Craig Wynn (29) had played the "race card" in an attempt to make the bogus attack convincing. Jailing Wynn for two years and Clair for three years at Birmingham Crown Court, the judge added that the men had committed a grave offence.”
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/jail-for-fake-race-hate-attack-1.312219

Sell your story to the newspapers. Surjit Singh Claire gets you the best deal. Max Clifford miscarrage of justice.
http://www.effectivemedialtd.com/

March 2003
“Three men jailed over a "fake" race attack on the boyfriend of Ashia Hansen - who jumped to victory in the World Indoor Championships this weekend - have pledged to fight on to clear their names.
“Cotter, Surjit Singh Clair and Craig Wynn challenged their convictions at the High Court last year but failed.
They are now awaiting a hearing at the House of Lords, to challenge the convictions on a point of law.
“Clair also wants to challenge his conviction for attempting to obtain property by deception from the Express newspaper.
He said he had spoken to Ian Gallagher, a reporter for the Express - with whom he had worked on stories - prior to the attack on Cotter, but the call was related to a story about the Russian mafia and nothing to do with Ashia Hansen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2854999.stm
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 11:29:30 AM by Nicholas »