Author Topic: Has the Daily Star plunged to new depths of depravity?  (Read 25223 times)

Offline Benice

Re: Has the Daily Star plunged to new depths of depravity?
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2013, 10:16:59 PM »
This is the way to deal with it. Yes, the rags write some appalling rubbish, but we can choose not to buy it! The Daily Mail is the epitome of everything I find abhorrent about the human race, but if we ban it, what's next?

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire

Anne, the only thing that impresses me more than your ability to always find the right quote for every situation, is knowing that you can do it in at least three languages!

Seconded!

They played the press! They just didn't like it when the press turned on them! They were hardly victims! Chris Jefferies was a victim!

The McCanns used the press to help them in their search for Madeleine - to keep her profile as high as possible which is the advice given by the experts-  to give the missing person the best chance of being found. 

The press for their part used and then abused them to increase their profits and have never stopped using them since.   

The press don't give a hoot about the McCanns, but they know their name sells newspapers - and that is the only reason why they never miss a chance to bring Madeleine's name into every article they can.    FGS the proof of that is there for all to see in the Star articles!

You seem to have forgotten what the press did to the McCanns and their friends - once again purely in the name of profit, but which they eventually and quite rightly had to pay £900,000 in compensation.   

The Leveson enquiry sought to prevent that flagrant persecution and downright libelling of innocent people by a Press who didn't care if lives were being ruined as long as the profits were up.   I do not understand how anyone except the Press Barons can be against that.

AIMHO

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2013, 10:58:29 PM »
"You seem to have forgotten what the press did to the McCanns and their friends - once again purely in the name of profit, but which they eventually and quite rightly had to pay £900,000 in compensation. "  

All the stories the Express group ran were correct at the time of publication, however owing to Portuguese secrecy law the journalists were unable to name their sources at that time (them sources being the PJ), and thus the McCanns & T7 were able to exploit this legal technicality.

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id392.html
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Benice

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »
"You seem to have forgotten what the press did to the McCanns and their friends - once again purely in the name of profit, but which they eventually and quite rightly had to pay £900,000 in compensation. " 

All the stories the Express group ran were correct at the time of publication, however owing to Portuguese secrecy law the journalists were unable to name their sources at that time (them sources being the PJ), and thus the McCanns & T7 were able to exploit this legal technicality.

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id392.html

As a hero of mine once said ...''You cannot be serious'' 

The case didn't even get to court for any 'legal technicalities' to be exploited.   The 'press 'knew they didn't have a leg to stand on and so offered an out of court settlement - as the cheapest way for them to deal with the consequences of their blatent and repeated libel.

IMO as long as the profits they made from libelling the McCanns exceeded the 'damages' settlement - then it was worth it .   The Leveson Enquiry sought to change that situation - so that NOT libelling people became the preferred option from a profit-making POV.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2013, 01:48:24 PM »
As a hero of mine once said ...''You cannot be serious'' 

The case didn't even get to court for any 'legal technicalities' to be exploited.   The 'press 'knew they didn't have a leg to stand on and so offered an out of court settlement - as the cheapest way for them to deal with the consequences of their blatent and repeated libel.

IMO as long as the profits they made from libelling the McCanns exceeded the 'damages' settlement - then it was worth it .   The Leveson Enquiry sought to change that situation - so that NOT libelling people became the preferred option from a profit-making POV.

The legal technicality, as I already explained ,was that they (Express journalists) could not name the sources of the stories they wrote (the PJ because of secrecy law).
Yes your right, it did not make it to court & Express group settled, it was an impossible case for them to fight.
But not because anything they printed was untrue but simply their sources could not be confirmed.

Offline Luz

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2013, 02:16:58 AM »
At least those are obvious disgusting taste titles - you can't miss what garbage they are selling -, the disguised ones are the most dangerous.

The BBC is much more dangerous than any red top and yet nobody cares how they twist the news, not only this, that are insignificant in the great schema, but world wide affecting news.

Offline John

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2013, 03:04:08 AM »
I would say Sky News is the greater danger to untruths.  Tonight a guest brought in specifically to discuss the latest news from Lisbon had the audacity to claim that the PJ only ever investigated the Madeleine disappearance as a staged abduction and not a proper one.  If this is the sort of garbage mainstream media intends to feed the populace then God help us all.

The propaganda machine is well and truly oiled.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:06:47 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »
I would say Sky News is the greater danger to untruths.  Tonight a guest brought in specifically to discuss the latest news from Lisbon had the audacity to claim that the PJ only ever investigated the Madeleine disappearance as a staged abduction and not a proper one.  If this is the sort of garbage mainstream media intends to feed the populace then God help us all.

The propaganda machine is well and truly oiled.

Which is what bothers me most about this case, not the fate of the girl but the obvious lies we are forced to accept by the MSM.
If they can spin & lie about this case freely & force people to buy it, then our freedom of thought & opinion is under threat.
God help us indeed.