Author Topic: Did events have an adverse affect on the McCann's careers?  (Read 23378 times)

Offline slartibartfast

Re: Did events have an adverse affect on the McCann's careers?
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2015, 06:24:01 PM »
Hmmmm!

I guess we need to tie down our definition of freedom.

People are free to express whatever views come without legal sanction (civil or criminal).

In Portugal, opinions, proven untrue (Portuguese civil libel law) that traduce reputation or lower standing violate their laws.

Amaral said Eddie "sniffed cadaver scent" all over the place, when neither Harrison nor Grime said the same (and, indeed, Harrison expressly said no incriminating inference could be drawn from the reactions of the dogs). 

Amaral said Madeleine fell off a sofa after being overdosed with calpol and died.  There is not a shred of evidence to support that canard.

Amaral accused the McCanns of launching a fraudulent fund in their (dead) daughter's name, and the Madeleine accounts are in apple-pie order.

Amaral accused the McCanns of hiding the body of their (dead!) daughter.  There is not a shred of evidence to support the contention. 

People are not free to disseminate falsehoods (at most charitable); lies (at worst); neither by the Portuguese constitution, nor by Portuguese libel laws

So that is all highly likely to be why Amaral has lost the libel trial.

That is why Amaral is highly likely to have lost the libel trial ....

Have you ever read his book?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

ferryman

« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2015, 06:26:37 PM »
Have you ever read his book?

Unfortunately, yes.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2015, 06:33:30 PM »
Unfortunately, yes.

Not very well by the sounds of it.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

ferryman

« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2015, 06:35:22 PM »
Not very well by the sounds of it.

If you didn't understand his book, that's your problem ...

ferryman

« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2015, 06:43:41 PM »
To swerve back on topic, did Amaral's libel (or Madeleine's abduction) affect the McCanns careers?

Well, Kate's career swerved in a completely opposite direction; while Gerry continues to practise as a doctor.

So I guess, yes and no.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2015, 06:44:18 PM »
If you didn't understand his book, that's your problem ...

I think you have read between the lines, paragraphs and chapters.

Offline mercury

« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2015, 11:38:34 PM »
you have difficulty in remembering what you have posted....you posted "freedom of expression is never a crime"...
well it certainly can be...

It can be but in this case and in millions of instances around the world has not been. The freedom from extremist  controlling governments, other institutions and certain powerful and/or influential individuals should be applauded and not attacked.

It goes without saying freedom of expression is a human right enshrined in law subject to certain constraints again in law. No one is saying it is perfectly fine to go around for instance calling religious fanatics to arms to kill all christians ..that is an abuse of freedom...but dictating what people should think or what opnion they should hold about cold police cases, and if they do not, they are immoral sub humans, is certainly not a good example of a progressive free society! Far from it. Its backward.

Being the recipent of an extended further exemplary education as you keep telling us seems not to have been as rounded as it could have been!

Offline mercury

« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2015, 11:40:00 PM »
Hmmmm!

I guess we need to tie down our definition of freedom.

People are free to express whatever views come without legal sanction (civil or criminal).

In Portugal, opinions, proven untrue (Portuguese civil libel law) that traduce reputation or lower standing violate their laws.

Amaral said Eddie "sniffed cadaver scent" all over the place, when neither Harrison nor Grime said the same (and, indeed, Harrison expressly said no incriminating inference could be drawn from the reactions of the dogs). 

Amaral said Madeleine fell off a sofa after being overdosed with calpol and died.  There is not a shred of evidence to support that canard.

Amaral accused the McCanns of launching a fraudulent fund in their (dead) daughter's name, and the Madeleine accounts are in apple-pie order.

Amaral accused the McCanns of hiding the body of their (dead!) daughter.  There is not a shred of evidence to support the contention. 

People are not free to disseminate falsehoods (at most charitable); lies (at worst); neither by the Portuguese constitution, nor by Portuguese libel laws

So that is all highly likely to be why Amaral has lost the libel trial.

Typical example of misrepresenting what others have said. Nuff said.

stephen25000

« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2015, 01:53:43 PM »
To swerve back on topic, did Amaral's libel (or Madeleine's abduction) affect the McCanns careers?

Well, Kate's career swerved in a completely opposite direction; while Gerry continues to practise as a doctor.

So I guess, yes and no.

No abduction

As to their careers, they harmed themselves.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2015, 02:19:10 PM »
It can be but in this case and in millions of instances around the world has not been. The freedom from extremist  controlling governments, other institutions and certain powerful and/or influential individuals should be applauded and not attacked.

It goes without saying freedom of expression is a human right enshrined in law subject to certain constraints again in law. No one is saying it is perfectly fine to go around for instance calling religious fanatics to arms to kill all christians ..that is an abuse of freedom...but dictating what people should think or what opnion they should hold about cold police cases, and if they do not, they are immoral sub humans, is certainly not a good example of a progressive free society! Far from it. Its backward.

Being the recipent of an extended further exemplary education as you keep telling us seems not to have been as rounded as it could have been!

my intelligence and education helps me analyse things accurately.....no one is dictating what people think or what opinions they may hold...it's when certain views are publicly  expressed the problem arises...a progressive free society protects people from bigotry...that's the progressive free society I want to live in

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2015, 03:05:46 PM »

my intelligence and education helps me analyse things accurately.....no one is dictating what people think or what opinions they may hold...it's when certain views are publicly  expressed the problem arises...a progressive free society protects people from bigotry...that's the progressive free society I want to live in

Intelligent educated people get things wrong just like everyone else, remember. The Mccann's being a case in point.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2015, 03:26:48 PM »
Intelligent educated people get things wrong just like everyone else, remember. The Mccann's being a case in point.

of course we do...but we get less wrong than the less intelligent

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2015, 04:01:52 PM »
of course we do...but we get less wrong than the less intelligent

A completely meaningless statement because it can't be demonstrated as true or false.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »
A completely meaningless statement because it can't be demonstrated as true or false.

meaningless to you...   .....the board is absolutely full of meaningless statements....of course the trauma of the loss of maddie has affected their careers. Gerry seem to have soldiered on but it seems too much for Kate. I wouldn't be at all surprised if kate returned to general practice at some time

stephen25000

« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2015, 05:46:56 PM »
meaningless to you...   .....the board is absolutely full of meaningless statements....of course the trauma of the loss of maddie has affected their careers. Gerry seem to have soldiered on but it seems too much for Kate. I wouldn't be at all surprised if kate returned to general practice at some time

Don't forget, it was self-imposed.

THE ACTUAL SUFFERER WAS MADELEINE.