Author Topic: Cadaver dogs are unreliable - Eugene Zapata  (Read 205370 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: Cadaver dogs are unreliable - Eugene Zapata
« Reply #945 on: November 19, 2018, 08:14:18 PM »
Do they have any evidence which contradicts the study
Strangely enough there was a smaller study done by the GNR that contradicted the above study but the 2nd study was a lot harder for me to read (I couldn't download it).

"Handler Beliefs Do Not Affect Police Dog Detection Outcomes"  https://rogerabrantes.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/handler-beliefs-do-not-affect-police-dog-detection-outcomes/

G-unit has found the same one.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #946 on: November 19, 2018, 08:17:38 PM »
Strangely enough, there was a Portuguese study;

Handler Beliefs Do Not Affect Police Dog Detection Outcomes
https://rogerabrantes.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/handler-beliefs-do-not-affect-police-dog-detection-outcomes/

This is, another... Scent/no scent study.... I would expect the dogs to be very good at this.... The previous study looked at how the dogs related when searching premises and the handlers thought scents would be present

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #947 on: November 19, 2018, 09:10:12 PM »
Can anyone get the text out of this article? https://en.calameo.com/read/0009488961a26abd0a577
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #948 on: November 19, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »
Can anyone get the text out of this article? https://en.calameo.com/read/0009488961a26abd0a577

I've read it... It's quite different.
The handlers, were told that scent was present in some rooms but not others... They were told that there would be zero.. one.. Two.. Or three sources in each room

To replicates lits test there should have been no scent in any room but the handlers told that scent was present in two.. We would then have seen if thehandlers perception caused the dog to alert
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 09:25:56 PM by Davel »

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #949 on: November 19, 2018, 09:32:55 PM »
I've read it... It's quite different.
The handlers, were told that scent was present in some rooms but not others... They were told that there would be zero.. one.. Two.. Or three sources in each room

To replicates lits test there should have been no scent in any room but the handlers told that scent was present in two.. We would then have seen if thehandlers perception caused the dog to alert
Like there were requests that the test should be repeated, but if a variant of the test is performed, does that count?
Moderation

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #950 on: November 19, 2018, 09:35:14 PM »
Like there were requests that the test should be repeated, but if a variant of the test is performed, does that count?

I think that the requests to repeat the tests came from the authors but the dog handlers were reluctant

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #951 on: November 19, 2018, 11:00:59 PM »
I think that the requests to repeat the tests came from the authors but the dog handlers were reluctant
I was thinking more of the requests made on the forum.  We have two papers but not exact replica experiments.  Do they compliment each other or do they reveal opposing results? 

All I'm doing is asking the questions here as I don't actually know the answer.  It is a complex topic and very few of us have real experience of what sniffer dogs can do.  My friend who trained hunting dogs quipped that the trainers were at fault.  Who knows?  Is the mistake the dog or the trainer?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 11:03:41 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline The General

« Reply #952 on: December 04, 2018, 08:44:32 PM »
I've been on black ops for 4 weeks in Chad, I come back to see this topic still being as divisive as ever.
What I would say is that I saw wild dogs in the Sudanian Savannah that could track a packet of Hula Hoops 300 miles across arid tundra.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #953 on: December 04, 2018, 08:56:11 PM »
I've been on black ops for 4 weeks in Chad, I come back to see this topic still being as divisive as ever.
What I would say is that I saw wild dogs in the Sudanian Savannah that could track a packet of Hula Hoops 300 miles across arid tundra.
Strange.  Until this evening no one had commented on this thread for over two weeks...  *%6^
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline The General

« Reply #954 on: December 04, 2018, 09:08:36 PM »
Strange.  Until this evening no one had commented on this thread for over two weeks...  *%6^
Yeh, strange indeed [random emoji]

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #955 on: December 04, 2018, 10:26:20 PM »
Yeh, strange indeed [random emoji]
I’d like to know more about the tundra you discovered in the Sudan please. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #956 on: December 05, 2018, 04:51:42 AM »
I’d like to know more about the tundra you discovered in the Sudan please.

So would I.

Offline The General

« Reply #957 on: December 05, 2018, 08:33:51 AM »
It's for another time. Maybe when my classifications are lifted I'll be able to tell the full story.

Offline misty

« Reply #958 on: December 05, 2018, 01:18:43 PM »
It's for another time. Maybe when my classifications are lifted I'll be able to tell the full story.

Are you at least able to tell us which flavour of Hula Hoops the wild dogs were tracking?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #959 on: December 05, 2018, 07:32:48 PM »

Are you on X Box or PS4