Author Topic: Is there any context in which hateful and/or abusive tweets about the McCanns are acceptable?  (Read 7381 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

I have to say I agree with Rob. Twitter matters only to those who use it imo. It's latest 'victim' is Coleen Nolan, apparently, but her performance on Loose Women led to Ofcom receiving 7,000 complaints about her bullying behaviour. In my opinion complaining about being bullied on Twitter is somewhat ironic therefore.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45439569
So you maintain that abuse and bullying on twitter is understandable and acceptable do you?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Robittybob1

I have to say I agree with Rob. Twitter matters only to those who use it imo. It's latest 'victim' is Coleen Nolan, apparently, but her performance on Loose Women led to Ofcom receiving 7,000 complaints about her bullying behaviour. In my opinion complaining about being bullied on Twitter is somewhat ironic therefore.
Did you see that prank where the interviewer said he had a device that could detect paedophiles and as he waved the wand over the interviewee the device started beeping.  Now the show is being sued for 100 Million dollars.
https://youtu.be/3kaJaDx51iw

I think if you go on a show that is known for pranks -- expect to be embarrassed.

About as evidential as a cadaver dog alert IMO.  Quite funny but who is laughing now?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:10:40 AM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

So you maintain that abuse and bullying on twitter is understandable and acceptable do you?

To quote from a famous film; "Frankly, my dear...........etc."
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

To quote from a famous film; "Frankly, my dear...........etc."
At least we now know your position on twitter abuse, that it’s fine, which surprises me as you have regularly complained of being abused of this forum, and believe such a mild term as “sceptic” to be offensive and abusive.  So why is abuse on twitter acceptable and understandable, but when it’s directed to you on this forum, you get offended and upset?  Oops, I’m asking your opinion, which also causes you offence, sorry in advance.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

At least we now know your position on twitter abuse, that it’s fine, which surprises me as you have regularly complained of being abused of this forum, and believe such a mild term as “sceptic” to be offensive and abusive.  So why is abuse on twitter acceptable and understandable, but when it’s directed to you on this forum, you get offended and upset?  Oops, I’m asking your opinion, which also causes you offence, sorry in advance.

I've never contemplated joining Twitter because it's not something that interests me. From what I've seen of it anyone who's likely to be offended is better off avoiding it. The idea of poring over it looking for posts which offend me, copying them and created a dossier of them would never occur to me and I can't begin to understand why anyone would do that.

I joined this forum because it's a debating platform which has rules preventing the type of behaviour which is common on Twitter. When other members break those rules I have the right to complain and have my complaint investigated. I have the right not to be offended, a right which doesn't exist on Twitter as far as I know.
Result = happy posting.

Offline barrier

I've never contemplated joining Twitter because it's not something that interests me. From what I've seen of it anyone who's likely to be offended is better off avoiding it. The idea of poring over it looking for posts which offend me, copying them and created a dossier of them would never occur to me and I can't begin to understand why anyone would do that.

I joined this forum because it's a debating platform which has rules preventing the type of behaviour which is common on Twitter. When other members break those rules I have the right to complain and have my complaint investigated. I have the right not to be offended, a right which doesn't exist on Twitter as far as I know.

You forgot about being offended on behalf of others.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Erngath

You forgot about being offended on behalf of others.

Can you explain what "being offended on behalf of others " means.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline barrier

Can you explain what "being offended on behalf of others " means.

Self evident on many of the post's in various threads.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Brietta

That is interesting.

I don't know what the viewing figures for 'Loose Women' are as opposed to those for a rolling news programme such as Sky news ... Ofcom received 7,000 complaints.

Do you know how many complaints were received about Martin Brunt's interview with Brenda Leyland? 

Sixty ...

Sky News report on McCann ‘troll’ prompts complaints to Ofcom
Regulator receives 60 complaints about reporter confronting woman over abusive tweets about McCann family

The regulator Ofcom has received 60 complaints about Sky News’ report about the woman alleged to have tweeted abusive messages about the McCann family.

Brenda Leyland was found dead in a hotel room days after she appeared on Sky News as part of an investigation into internet “trolling” of the McCanns.

She was not named by the Sky News report but was interviewed by reporter Martin Brunt as someone who “uses Twitter to attack the parents of Madeleine McCann”.

Brunt and his team took precautions such as not naming the village where Leyland lived and Brunt referred to her only by her Twitter name, @sweepyface. However, she was subsequently named in several newspaper reports.

Most of the complaints to Ofcom are understood to have been made in the last couple of days, rather than in the immediate aftermath of Brunt’s report on 2 October.

An Ofcom spokesman said: “It’s important to stress that we’ve not reached a view as to whether an investigation will take place.”

Meanwhile on a Facebook page called Sack Martin Brunt, a petition has been launched calling on prime minister David Cameron to “launch a public inquiry” into what it claims is “trial by television” had gained 325 signatures.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/oct/06/sky-news-ofcom-complaints-mcann-troll

"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Venturi Swirl

Yes, and what was the Ofcom ruling on the Brenda debacle?

Offline Erngath

Self evident on many of the post's in various threads.

No it's not self evident at all.
Do you mean that one should never take offence at anything  if an  unpleasant action, or abusive word is not directed at oneself?
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline barrier

That is interesting.

I don't know what the viewing figures for 'Loose Women' are as opposed to those for a rolling news programme such as Sky news ... Ofcom received 7,000 complaints.

Do you know how many complaints were received about Martin Brunt's interview with Brenda Leyland? 

Sixty ...

It would be interesting to know percentage wise of complaints to number of viewers.

Offline Venturi Swirl

So bullying and abusive behaviour is a-ok with you, as long as it’s on social media platforms you don’t frequent.  No need for further explanation, thanks for that.

Offline slartibartfast

That tweet I quoted was not part of a conversation as it is not sent in reply to anyone, that’s why I chose it.  It is a statement of opinion.

How do you it wasn’t part of a conversation?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline G-Unit

That is interesting.

Sixty ...

Sky News report on McCann ‘troll’ prompts complaints to Ofcom
Regulator receives 60 complaints about reporter confronting woman over abusive tweets about McCann family

The regulator Ofcom has received 60 complaints about Sky News’ report about the woman alleged to have tweeted abusive messages about the McCann family.

Brenda Leyland was found dead in a hotel room days after she appeared on Sky News as part of an investigation into internet “trolling” of the McCanns.

She was not named by the Sky News report but was interviewed by reporter Martin Brunt as someone who “uses Twitter to attack the parents of Madeleine McCann”.

Brunt and his team took precautions such as not naming the village where Leyland lived and Brunt referred to her only by her Twitter name, @sweepyface. However, she was subsequently named in several newspaper reports.

Most of the complaints to Ofcom are understood to have been made in the last couple of days, rather than in the immediate aftermath of Brunt’s report on 2 October.

An Ofcom spokesman said: “It’s important to stress that we’ve not reached a view as to whether an investigation will take place.”

Meanwhile on a Facebook page called Sack Martin Brunt, a petition has been launched calling on prime minister David Cameron to “launch a public inquiry” into what it claims is “trial by television” had gained 325 signatures.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/oct/06/sky-news-ofcom-complaints-mcann-troll

In my opinion most people don't care about Twitter, trolls, or who bullies who, it's par for the course on there. They watched live as a woman was, in their opinion, bullied on Loose Women so they were quite clear who did and said what.
Result = happy posting.