Author Topic: German court rules prosecutor no jurisdiction in Madeleine McCann case.  (Read 13435 times)

Offline Anthro

Bad news just in.

A court in the German city of Braunschweig has thrown out rape and sexual offence charges against Christian Brueckner, who has been formally identified as an official suspect in the Madeleine McCann case, his lawyer said on Thursday.

The court's decision means that legal authorities in Braunschweig have no jurisdiction over the case of "Maddie", a British girl who disappeared in Portugal in 2007 at the age of 3.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/german-court-drops-trial-suspect-madeleine-mccann-case-bild-2023-04-20/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 06:26:22 PM by John »

Offline Brietta

Bad news just in.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/german-court-drops-trial-suspect-madeleine-mccann-case-bild-2023-04-20/

Thanks Anthro.
Certainly explains the delay.

Snip
The possible trial of Brueckner collapsed because the court deemed itself not to have jurisdiction over the case and lifted the arrest warrant against him.

Excellent move for the time being by Brueckner's legal team regarding jurisdiction. I said they were good.  I think that will be a forewarning for prosecutors regarding Madeleine's case and why the Portuguese Statute of Limitations is no longer in force.

Very disappointing none the less.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 06:24:04 PM by John »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline barrier

The mail have this to say.

EXCLUSIVE: Madeleine McCann investigation bombshell as court rules German prosecutors have NO jurisdiction to pursue a case against suspect Christian Brueckner

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11994681/Madeleine-McCann-German-prosecutors-NO-jurisdiction-against-suspect-Christian-Brueckner.html

This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline jassi

I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline G-Unit

Thanks Anthro.
Certainly explains the delay.

Snip
The possible trial of Brueckner collapsed because the court deemed itself not to have jurisdiction over the case and lifted the arrest warrant against him.

Excellent move for the time being by Brueckner's legal team regarding jurisdiction. I said they were good.  I think that will be a forewarning for prosecutors regarding Madeleine's case and why the Portuguese Statute of Limitations is no longer in force.

Very disappointing none the less.

I've no doubt Braunschweig prosecutors will appeal if they can, if only because it may impact upon their right to have prosecuted the first rape case.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline jassi

I've no doubt Braunschweig prosecutors will appeal if they can, if only because it may impact upon their right to have prosecuted the first rape case.

I hadn't thought of that. Could such a ruling be applied retrospectively ?
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline G-Unit

I hadn't thought of that. Could such a ruling be applied retrospectively ?

I would have thought it would have to be looked at. I don't think CB had a talented lawyer before, but it looks like he has now.
Result = happy posting.

Offline barrier

Not forgetting there are victims here who it seems mighten see justice.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Brietta

I think it highly likely that an appeal will be made.  I don't think there is any question of it impinging on his rape conviction.

If memory serves me well the question of jurisdiction was raised after his extradition from Italy and it was decided then that Germany had the right to prosecute.  Maybe he couldn't afford to pay for such a high powered legal team before his present notoriety became apparent.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Venturi Swirl

Why is it bad news ?
because not everybody is happy to see rapists get off on a legal technicality.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Mr Gray

Re: German court rules prosecutor no jurisdiction in Madeleine McCann case.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 01:54:22 PM »
because not everybody is happy to see rapists get off on a legal technicality.

If there is a case against him...then this is just a delaying tactic. We might get to see more of the evidence

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 02:17:10 PM »
If there is a case against him...then this is just a delaying tactic. We might get to see more of the evidence

Hope so. I would like to see the video evidence.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline jassi

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 02:53:13 PM »
I think it highly likely that an appeal will be made.  I don't think there is any question of it impinging on his rape conviction.

If memory serves me well the question of jurisdiction was raised after his extradition from Italy and it was decided then that Germany had the right to prosecute.  Maybe he couldn't afford to pay for such a high powered legal team before his present notoriety became apparent.

Presumably Wolters is an employee of the Regional  Court, so which authority would he be appealing to?

Would he be appealing as an individual ?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 03:00:34 PM by jassi »

Or maybe not -

Offline Brietta

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 03:10:51 PM »
Presumably Wolters is an employee of the Regional  Court, so which authority would he be appealing to?

Would he be appealing as an individual ?

You seem to have missed Gunit raising the subject by saying, " I've no doubt Braunschweig prosecutors will appeal if they can,"

I have agreed I think they will if possible but I have no more inner knowledge than she or thee.  But have no fear I'm thinking all is not lost as I'm sure the Germans will be in possession of the knowledge of how to go about it.

I'm flattered you seem to think I'm the font of all knowledge, though.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2023, 03:16:35 PM »

It was ruled that Germany had the right to extradict him, but the question of whether Braunschweig had the jurisdiction to prosecute him wasn't addressed afaik.
Result = happy posting.